Wow, conquest points like Gravy!

Darevsool

I know the login and in game is REALLY laggy, but I got in for a little bit and I wanted to test a couple things out.

With 150% stronghold bonus I did the following and got just over 5k conquest points in about 10 minutes.

2x Balmorra Heroics (1k conquest points each + 500 conquest points each)

1x Hutta Heroic (500 conquest points)

1x Dromund Kaas Heroid (500 conquest points)

Level 1 Balmorra Rampage (1k conquest points)

Each NPC kill (at least the silver/gold mobs) gives a small amount of conquest points also.

Very fast!

Unfortunately this is being removed. lol

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=964662&page=14

Yeah, I didn't see that post until after I made mine.

My next test/curiosity was how many conquest points I'd get for Space PVE, but the server was so laggy I didn't want to mess with it.

It's a shame, the 500 points for any heroic, all the time, would be VERY nice to keep on a permanent basis.

Edited by Darevsool

I'm just kind of curious how, like, two lines of code (one converting a percentage of earned XP into CQP and another adding that to your total) can be causing the entire server architecture to come apart at the seams. Even the creaky old system from the mid-90s that we were using at the last company I worked for wasn't that shabby.

I'm just kind of curious how, like, two lines of code (one converting a percentage of earned XP into CQP and another adding that to your total) can be causing the entire server architecture to come apart at the seams. Even the creaky old system from the mid-90s that we were using at the last company I worked for wasn't that shabby.

My suspicion is that it deals with the number of calculations performed and the data going to/from the servers.

At level 1 you get xp per every kill.

When you get to create your legacy you get legacy xp per every kill

When you get to legacy level 50, no more visible legacy xp calculations.

When you get to level 70, no more visible XP calculations

With this change today, there is a 3rd calculation for every kill, conquest points.

With this change today, at level 70, suddenly those "hidden" calculations are active again as part of the new equation to give out conquest xp.

That is my theory.

My suspicion is that it deals with the number of calculations performed and the data going to/from the servers.

With this change today, there is a 3rd calculation for every kill, conquest points.

With this change today, at level 70, suddenly those "hidden" calculations are active again as part of the new equation to give out conquest xp.

That is my theory.

Maybe, although my guess isn't that it's the extra bit of figuring (which is minuscule at the rate of data processing today - or even five or ten years ago), but that there's an error in the code somewhere. I.e., the data's getting bitten off and chewed, when when the system goes to swallow it (and add it to your total), it's winding up being vomited back up a few times before winding up where it's supposed to be. Which is why if you're running around doing stuff, your CQP updates in real time (which shouldn't be happening if it was lagging the servers), but is still somehow responsible for derailing everything.

To much calculation per character, and to much data flow when all those calculations add up... But one who works on code should know that, unless third party devs working on code and Bioware only gives ideas what should be done, in that case, third party dev would not care what will happen when patch is delivered to Bioware...

To much calculation per character...

Maybe, but maybe not. Depending on how their system is set up, those two extra lines of code shouldn't be taking up anymore cycles than combat lasting another 2 attacks (where in range, to hit, damage, damage reduction, etc are all calculated).

Maybe, but maybe not. Depending on how their system is set up, those two extra lines of code shouldn't be taking up anymore cycles than combat lasting another 2 attacks (where in range, to hit, damage, damage reduction, etc are all calculated).

Since conquest feeds into guild I suspect it works a little differently to legacy or GC ranks. There is probably a locked portion of code to ensure that updates from many sources are correctly added together. This worked fine when the conquest updates were in discrete chunks for the conquest activities, but with just about everything in game that gives xp also affecting conquest it is likely that too many updates were having to wait to enter that portion of the code, thus slowing everything down.

As Eric stated, they want to get this working properly so that it can be brought back in a future game update.

The more you do calculations and updates at a higher frequency rate, the closer you come to being real time.

Problem is, "real time" oriented servers require an increase in CPU and RAM. Real time is in CPU and RAM, not on disk.

Our servers were just merged not too long ago to EA reallocated servers from other areas - bigger but basic.

They weren't merged onto brand spanking new latest tech

They should have seen this coming.

=8-|

To much calculation per character, and to much data flow when all those calculations add up... But one who works on code should know that, unless third party devs working on code and Bioware only gives ideas what should be done, in that case, third party dev would not care what will happen when patch is delivered to Bioware...

Beautiful analysis.

I assume you've analyzed the code yourself to know this is the issue?

That is my theory.

It's such a shame that computer's are so slow and inefficient at calculations using numbers.

IIRC the generation before my processor can manage 133,000 MIPS at 3.9 GHz. - In old money, that's faster than an abacus user on speed.

There were 10-ish instances open on Dantooine, probably 1 for every planet plus a few on Odessan and fleet... maybe 50 instances total with around 150 people on each one of them.... What were the computer servers trying to calculate, a new prime number?

Edited by Storm-Cutter