why i have to use one time password in email every single time i log in??

scarletxxxx

It happens to me every day now. It didn't used to be like this.

... but, my DSL connection disconnects all the time nowadays too. Probably related.

Do you mean log into the game, or log into your account here on the forums?

On the forums, you will always have to enter a one-time password any time you try to access secure information for your account (such as purchase cartel coins, adjust preferences, etc.) unless you have a security key. If you're talking about the game launcher, it's very weird for it to be asking you for confirmation like that constantly, unless you haven't checked the (remember this account) box.

Game launcher. But my internet disconnects several times a day.

And your ISP doesn't give you the same IP address each time.

To be clear, I'm talking about the IP address on the "outside" of the router, not the one given by your router to your PC. In most setups, if you ask your PC for its address, you'll see something that begins 192.168, and this network address is translated by the router (the function is called "NAT" for Network Address Translator). That "outside" address can change at every disconnect/reconnect and it won't (normally) disturb what you're doing.

Well, except that the SWTOR login system doesn't remember the IP addresses you've used in the past to log in from(1), so it checks to see if it is really you whenever it sees a different address.

And of course "one time password" is ambiguous. It should be called "single-use password".

But in general, download the SWTOR app or any TOTP app (I use "OTP Auth" on my iPhone for my second account) on a smartphone / tablet, or "WinAuth" that runs on your PC. Turn that feature on for your SWTOR account, and you'll never be asked for a single-use password again. And you'll get 100 extra CCs a month, in a separate grant.

(1) Some MMORPGs (e.g. GW2) do remember this information, and GW2 even lets you have the game *not* remember it, which is useful if, for example, you take your laptop with you on a trip and play from the hotel WiFi.

Do you mean log into the game, or log into your account here on the forums?

On the forums, you will always have to enter a one-time password any time you try to access secure information for your account (such as purchase cartel coins, adjust preferences, etc.) unless you have a security key. If you're talking about the game launcher, it's very weird for it to be asking you for confirmation like that constantly, unless you haven't checked the (remember this account) box.

For accessing secure information, yes, you would need to use that one time password every time. However, you should not have to do that every time just for the forums. (at least that is the way it been for me.)

If you have a cellphone, you can set up a security key. You can even use a deactivated cellphone as long as it can access the internet through WiFi to sync with the time zone of the security key website. Well worth it.

If you have a cellphone, you can set up a security key. You can even use a deactivated cellphone as long as it can access the internet through WiFi to sync with the time zone of the security key website. Well worth it.

Actually, no. There isn't a "security key website". The phone must have a scrupulously correct knowledge of the *time*.(1) The time zone is irrelevant because the TOTP code calculations use the time in UTC.

An internet connection, no matter how it's achieved, is useful for assuring that the phone's time is correct, but if necessary, the phone can get the time from the cellular network.

(1) Pedantically, it must match the time on the login servers, but it's safe to assume that they will have a scrupulously correct time.

Actually, no. There isn't a "security key website". The phone must have a scrupulously correct knowledge of the *time*.(1) The time zone is irrelevant because the TOTP code calculations use the time in UTC.

An internet connection, no matter how it's achieved, is useful for assuring that the phone's time is correct, but if necessary, the phone can get the time from the cellular network.

(1) Pedantically, it must match the time on the login servers, but it's safe to assume that they will have a scrupulously correct time.

I was just saying that the cellphone does not have to get cell service as long as it can access wifi so that it can sync up with whatever it needs to sync up with.