Life day snowballs are annoying

Kyhiker

Would like to suggest the ability to make yourself unable to be targeted by the snowballs during life day event!! I do not play the event and find the snowballs very annoying during the game. I get it that you can merely deselect the snowball effect, but as soon as you do, you are hit again. If not, how about only make the event 2 weeks long or less?? THE most annoying event on SWTOR for sure!

I love Life Day and I love that it's 4 weeks, but I wish there were a way for individual players to disable them from being used on them while they're actively in combat outside of the Life Day areas.

For me that would just be because it's hard for me to follow a lot of motion on screen and when someone hits me with a snowball while I'm trying to fight something, it's really distracting.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I've never understood the complaint in games about snowballs/discoballs/etc Unless it takes you out of something like the vendor or GTN/AH screen, it's really not a big deal. It's just a few snowflakes trailing or dancing that stops when you move.

Closest gripe I've ever had about this sort of thing was in WoW with my undead rogue during the Thanksgiving stuff when she can't set one foot in a city without being a turkey non-stop since I wish she'd at least look like a zombie turkey.

When I used to lead raids, I told my raiders, once we entered the raid, Snowballs stopped. If any snowball went off at that point I'd call the raid right then for the rest of the night. I wanted no extra (and meaningless) Debuffs going out during raid.

For normal solo game play, I just leave the debuff on my character should someone hit me with one. That'll make it so others won't bother, since you already have the debuff. (Once you have the debuff that means other players won't have a chance at getting one of those snow covered parcels from you).

I find it annoying too.

The last thing I want to see as I run around fleet, or out in the world, are extra particle effects.

I'd LOVE something in game that was a reverse debuff. Anyone who hits my toon with a snowball gets a 30 min cool down.

I'd pay CC for that.

For me that would just be because it's hard for me to follow a lot of motion on screen and when someone hits me with a snowball while I'm trying to fight something, it's really distracting.

Granted that actually happens (that you get distracted from it), I seriously doubt that is something that happens much at all. I've been hit in WZs, usually either by a teammate while waiting for the start timer at the beginning or occasionally by an opponent during a fight, but distraction, would be fair game in a contest. In the open world, I have never been struck by a snowball while fighting an NPC mob. While I assume you will claim to have experienced it, I doubt it caused you to die to an NPC mob.

For those comparing it to the rakghoul plague, the snowflake effect doesn't interrupt or stun you in any way and if it annoys, can be removed at will.

Granted that actually happens (that you get distracted from it), I seriously doubt that is something that happens much at all. I've been hit in WZs, usually either by a teammate while waiting for the start timer at the beginning or occasionally by an opponent during a fight, but distraction, would be fair game in a contest. In the open world, I have never been struck by a snowball while fighting an NPC mob. While I assume you will claim to have experienced it, I doubt it caused you to die to an NPC mob.

For those comparing it to the rakghoul plague, the snowflake effect doesn't interrupt or stun you in any way and if it annoys, can be removed at will.

I don't actually care if you doubt it. It does distract me, and I would have no reason to claim something happened when it didn't. And the fact that it's not happened to you doesn't mean that it doesn't happen to others or isn't irritating, or that you need to minimize anyone else's irritation. Not everyone plays this game with the same level of visual perception and response to extraneous distraction.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Not everyone plays this game the same way or likes the same things as other players, but things don't have to be changed just because a few players don't like something.

I think so, the event is only once a year. There are no negative influences if you have the buff. You can click it away immediately. If you move you do not see them. There is no reason for protection.

You can actually hang on to the snowballs and throw them at people all year round, even though there's no reward at that point, and I've seen that happen.

I think it would at least be reasonable to add a a time-out so that if you hit someone with a snowball (or sparkle powder or confetti) and they click it away, you can't keep annoying them by throwing more.

I think it would at least be reasonable to add a a time-out so that if you hit someone with a snowball (or sparkle powder or confetti) and they click it away, you can't keep annoying them by throwing more.

Then they will only be left with request duel, emotes, custom emotes (/e), jawagrams, AOE abilities, healing abilities, guarding abilities, buffs, mounts, mount flourish, rest and recharge toys, other toys, music droids, jukeboxes, clickable decorations, species social abilities, various crate opening animations, deco consuming, legacy abilities, environmental game mechanics, rocket boosts, force speed, leaping abilities, pets, etc... to annoy you with.

Unless your character is wearing a sign that says, "You'd better not throw snowballs at me, Jerk!" I'm going to believe you're just making a bigger deal out of something ( a game mechanic you don't like) then there really is. I'm calling bull on your distraction claim --- why? Because if that was as true as you claim it to be, you wouldn't be able to drive a car in real life. You simply can't control the rain drops, snow flakes, hail, bugs, bird droppings, dust, leaves, debris, etc.... that hit the average windshield everyday while people drive. So ... yeah ... I'm calling bull --- unless you want to explain your "condition" to your auto insurance carrier.

Life Day season is pretty much over. You'll probably get hit (by snowballs) 1-5 more times before next December rolls around. The world won't end and there will be plenty of people annoying you in other ways you just can't control due to the fact you're playing an MMO.

Enjoy the part(s) of the game you do like.

Then they will only be left with request duel, emotes, custom emotes (/e), jawagrams, AOE abilities, healing abilities, guarding abilities, buffs, mounts, mount flourish, rest and recharge toys, other toys, music droids, jukeboxes, clickable decorations, species social abilities, various crate opening animations, deco consuming, legacy abilities, environmental game mechanics, rocket boosts, force speed, leaping abilities, pets, etc... to annoy you with.

Unless your character is wearing a sign that says, "You'd better not throw snowballs at me, Jerk!" I'm going to believe you're just making a bigger deal out of something ( a game mechanic you don't like) then there really is. I'm calling bull on your distraction claim --- why? Because if that was as true as you claim it to be, you wouldn't be able to drive a car in real life. You simply can't control the rain drops, snow flakes, hail, bugs, bird droppings, dust, leaves, debris, etc.... that hit the average windshield everyday while people drive. So ... yeah ... I'm calling bull --- unless you want to explain your "condition" to your auto insurance carrier.

Life Day season is pretty much over. You'll probably get hit (by snowballs) 1-5 more times before next December rolls around. The world won't end and there will be plenty of people annoying you in other ways you just can't control due to the fact you're playing an MMO.

Enjoy the part(s) of the game you do like.

It's actually none of your business, but my vision issues preclude me from getting a drivers' license. I'm not able to drive a car, operate anything that requires sharp visual acuity like a sewing machine, and have to stay away from excessive flashing lights. So you were saying? People with visual and focusing disabilities play this game, and none of us have to justify ourselves or what is distracting or game-stopping.

As I'm not the one who created the thread and i"m not the only one complaining about it here, I find it very interesting you're singling me out to dismiss and belittle. And going to quite an effort to do so, too. Whatever, I won't be reading it anymore. /ignore

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

/sigh

I have seen a lot of people complain about a lot of different things in the game. I've seen people with motion sickness complain about aspects of the game. I've seen people with vertigo complain about areas in the game that prevent them from progressing. As unfortunate as it might be that someone suffers from a rare condition that hampers their game play, the game devs simply can't cater to their conditions at the expense of the majority of the player base.

I haven't "singled out" any particular poster. I do often oppose "appeal to pity" arguments that I read here. I understand how in today's society that tends to make me "the bad guy."

This topic is about snowballs being annoying. I agree that they can annoy. I'm thankful that all one has to do is click the buff to remove it. I disagree that any further action or game mechanic is needed such as a "time out" because if 2 players are exchanging snowballs for the packages, they are clicking to remove the buff so it can work anyway. You see, some suggestions ... just aren't thinking about everybody else.

Edited by BRKMSN

A played a different MMO where there was the option to "Disable Emote FX" or something like that.

Basically, if a player had that checked, he was immune to group "forced" emotes (like where someone's social ability makes everyone dance or cheer), and didn't get visual effects from non-combat emotes such as glitter or snowballs.

That seems useful for every MMO, including this one. Not everyone has great monitors or graphics cards, after all.

I'm not a big fan of the snowballs either, but it does not inhibit me from playing the game. For me, the most annoying part about it is when you click to take it off, either an NPC or another player pegs you with another one like a second later.

There has to be some kind of compromise or something. It's obvious that many players don't like it and there are many players who do. The developers can't satisfy everyone. There is always going to be something that we are not going to like. That said, the life day event is short-lived and as annoying as it is, it only lasts so long. However, I can see it both ways. If a player doesn't like it maybe there should be an option to inhibit the visual effects for each player. However, as stated the devs can't satisfy everyone.

The event is over. I played for 4 hours and didnt even get hit by snowballs....No one around me was pelted. :rolleyes: In the next few days, everyone who is still throwing will get bored because there are no more parcels left.

As already mentioned, there are other things that annoy the players. So if one thing is turned off, then everything else too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.