A poll about future romance options, please?

AdornedBlood

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wondered why they never polled the audience. Even if they didn't show the results, it would give them ideas of what the community was thinking.

Unfortunately, it has already been decided by our esteemed friends like the one from the following quote , they seem to have no respect for the democratic vote process :

I would violate all democratic principals and stuff the ballot box for a red male zabrak! :p But Saganu (and Balkar and Scourge) after that. And the ability to change Arcann's clothes would be nice, too, although because of his body type I'm not holding my breath.
Edited by AdornedBlood

Unfortunately, it has already been decided by our esteemed friends like the one from the following quote , they seem to have no respect for the democratic vote process :

Have you had some kind of humour bypass? It was very, very obviously just a joke.

Maybe you need to relax, have a nice cup of tea, and stroke a cat or something?

I think they do look at feedback from the community even if it's not in the form of polls. I have no doubt one reason that Jonas is coming back for Republic characters (romanceable or not) is because people like him, and perhaps that's also why Saganu appeared in the Copero story. If Kira and Scourge do come back as LIs I think it will also be as a result of fan feedback (I know Kira is already a LI for male PCs, but if she's brought back for female PCs as well).

And I'd be surprised if the decision to make Arcann a LI was not influenced heavily by the enthusiastic group that wanted him as a LI and were vocal about it. He did have a writer pushing for him but I doubt they would have gone ahead if there were no interest.

I think they do look at feedback from the community even if it's not in the form of polls. I have no doubt one reason that Jonas is coming back for Republic characters (romanceable or not) is because people like him, and perhaps that's also why Saganu appeared in the Copero story. If Kira and Scourge do come back as LIs I think it will also be as a result of fan feedback (I know Kira is already a LI for male PCs, but if she's brought back for female PCs as well).

And I'd be surprised if the decision to make Arcann a LI was not influenced heavily by the enthusiastic group that wanted him as a LI and were vocal about it. He did have a writer pushing for him but I doubt they would have gone ahead if there were no interest.

Basically all of this. If a lot of people want it and it's reasonable, we do get listened to, where possible anyway!

It may not always be for the better, but yeah! In case for options, I don't see why it's a bad thing.

Online polls often have strong distortions due to self-selection issues.

Spot on. People should speak up, by all means--the squeaky wheel gets the grease, right? But unfortunately I don't think there's a foolproof method for discerning what the majority of players want. All we can do is post on the forums and Reddit and keep our fingers crossed.

Edited by sauceemynx

As you wish. After all, who am I to even have a say in this?

No more or less than any of us. You're free to say what you want, nobody is telling you otherwise. People just have different opinions. What you do with them is up to you.

I've always wondered why they never polled the audience. Even if they didn't show the results, it would give them ideas of what the community was thinking.

Because the forums are a small minority of the community. It would unfairly add weight to a small segment of a community.

No more or less than any of us. You're free to say what you want, nobody is telling you otherwise. People just have different opinions. What you do with them is up to you.

I really need to PM you, please! It is not cussing or stuff like that, there are things I cannot say here but you should know. It is really important for both of us, please, may I have your permission to PM you?

Spot on. People should speak up, by all means--the squeaky wheel gets the grease, right? But unfortunately I don't think there's a foolproof method for discerning what the majority of players want. All we can do is post on the forums and Reddit and keep our fingers crossed.

This. I think the closest they can get to knowing what players want is by tracking what happens in the game + fan responses, not necessarily here but in all of the available social media outlets as a whole. They have hard data on how many PCs have romanced Character X or taken flirts or chosen to send them away. If 98% of players chose to kill off a specific character they probably wouldn't make that character a romance option. But if 50% did, and a lot of people were requesting them, being a LI might be more feasible.

This. I think the closest they can get to knowing what players want is by tracking what happens in the game + fan responses, not necessarily here but in all of the available social media outlets as a whole. They have hard data on how many PCs have romanced Character X or taken flirts or chosen to send them away. If 98% of players chose to kill off a specific character they probably wouldn't make that character a romance option. But if 50% did, and a lot of people were requesting them, being a LI might be more feasible.

Excellent point.

I really need to PM you, please! It is not cussing or stuff like that, there are things I cannot say here but you should know. It is really important for both of us, please, may I have your permission to PM you?

I politely decline! If it's not okay to say publicly, I don't feel comfortable with having it in private either.

Still I want a poll on this forum. I want to know exactly HOW many voted for Saganu, Belkas and Cytharat and how many voted AGAINST a male Twilek LI. Tumblr,dulfy, vulkk and other sites do not count since they are not officialy endorsed by EA.

Still I want a poll on this forum. I want to know exactly HOW many voted for Saganu, Belkas and Cytharat and how many voted AGAINST a male Twilek LI. Tumblr,dulfy, vulkk and other sites do not count since they are not officialy endorsed by EA.

Well they already gave their reasons for why we can't have polls. I wanted it too at first, but I understand that it doesn't really make a difference in the end.

What they could do is in game polls, pop ups/survey whatever. But I doubt they'd be about, who wants Saganu vs Zenith as they'd be made by BW themselves and I think they'd rather ask more important things.

IF they would at all.

A straw poll is your best bet, it's probably not going to go any further than that.

The studio has commented numerous times in the past as to why they do not rely on opt-in online player polling to garner what players want/don't-want. It presents a very self-selective result when conducted as an online opt-in internet poll... which is exactly why these same methods are considered unreliable for polling in almost any subject.. from political preference to the breed of cat you personally prefer.

Good polling requires a range of controls and bias mitigating locks to actually be meaningful for any sort of decision making.

Now.. since you are basically curious about what other players want in this case... by all means use one of the many independent polling sites on the internet... configure one the way you want it... and link it here. They do permit linking off site polls and results, even though they do not enable actual polling mechanics within the forum here (which does have it out of the box.. it's just disabled here). Just keep in mind that what you will be doing is launching an opt-in survey of other players who choose to respond... NOT an actual poll that could objectively drive actual design decisions.

The studio does take a pulse on things like this...... largely using a combination of A) their internal data instrumentation on the game (which is extensive... exhaustingly so based on descriptions over the years) + B) player suggestions (see the suggestion forum) + C) player feedback from a range of sources across the internet (not just the forum here) + D) closed alpha/beta test feedback which uses non-studio staff as the testers (usually actual players, or guilds of players, under NDA.. so you never see the actual data directly).

The challenge for any MMO studio is how to objectively determine the most optimal (not perfect, just optimal) design choices that will best fit (again not perfect because of diversity of player views) the widest aspect of a playing audience that rarely agrees, are often at odds with one another, and generally take the approach of "my puppy is the only important puppy in the litter of game features".

Edited by Andryah