Hoko's Ultimate Hybrid Spec

Hokonoso

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be trying a 5/13/23 build for PVE. I might switch 2 points from Dark mending to pick up Lingering Nightmares, as I don't really think I'll need to do much direct healing.

5/13/23 build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GZfcM0dZcMfRsMkM.1

3/13/25 build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201hZfcM0dZcMfRsMkr.1

I really feel like if you are going above 16/18 in Madness you really might as well go to 28 to fill out Creeping Death. It's a nice bit of "Surge" for all of your dots.

Edited by spellegren

Sorry, but what is your reasoning behind NO HAUNTED DREAMS? The ability to instantly CC two opponents is extremely viable in objective based... If you can back it up. I will agree.

I believe the author's spec is designed to be a middle ground between pvp, and pve solo/group play, thus some talent sacrifices must be made. The centerpiece of the build is really the incorporation of Resurgence, so some talents must be foregone to make room for it. I can't really see a Madness spec going anywhere without either being a Chain Lightning hybrid or going far enough to pick up Creeping Terror, so there is really no way to accommodate Haunted Dreams unfortunately. Haunted Dreams is fantastic, but it would be gimping the spec too much to have passed on Chain Lightning imo. Granted, this is all my take on the spec and the author could have had an entirely different reasoning.

I've actually found a bit more success with a slightly more focused hybrid build. I'm currently using 21/2/18. You sac a little bit of dps, both burst and sustained, by dropping most of the Lightning talents, but you gain a lot of healing power and support from Efficacious Currents, Reconstruct, Sith Purity, Innervate, and Haunted Dreams.

Efficacious Current itself is utterly amazing, effectively removing the cooldown entirely from Static Barrier and nearly halving its force cost, in addition to reducing the lock-out debuff by a full 30%. Innervate is an incredibly power and efficient spell, essentially the Force Lightning of healing (heals about half again as much as Force Lightning damages in the same gear).

Haunted Dreams is more debatable, but it's already saved my butt several times, and honestly dropping it on someone on a fire plate in Huttball never gets old. The flames break it, stun them for 2 seconds, and 90% of the time that's an autokill even if I don't keep nuking them.

I've actually found a bit more success with a slightly more focused hybrid build. I'm currently using 21/2/18. You sac a little bit of dps, both burst and sustained, by dropping most of the Lightning talents, but you gain a lot of healing power and support from Efficacious Currents, Reconstruct, Sith Purity, Innervate, and Haunted Dreams.

Efficacious Current itself is utterly amazing, effectively removing the cooldown entirely from Static Barrier and nearly halving its force cost, in addition to reducing the lock-out debuff by a full 30%. Innervate is an incredibly power and efficient spell, essentially the Force Lightning of healing (heals about half again as much as Force Lightning damages in the same gear).

Haunted Dreams is more debatable, but it's already saved my butt several times, and honestly dropping it on someone on a fire plate in Huttball never gets old. The flames break it, stun them for 2 seconds, and 90% of the time that's an autokill even if I don't keep nuking them.

You need chain lightning. It's an amazing burst/damage ability.

You need chain lightning. It's an amazing burst/damage ability.

Meh. It hits hard, sure, but is only useable with Wrath, eats mana almost as quickly as Shock, and you have to give up most of your healing boosts to get it. If you're going for a spec designed around damage, just bite the bullet and go 0/13/28 or 0/17/24. If you want a healing/dps hybrid, you'll need up through T4 in Corruption. Efficacious Currents alone is worth it, and the physical cleanse from Sith Purity is amazing in PvP.

Thing is, you try to hybridize too much, you end up mediocre across the board. The 21/2/18 spec is solid at both healing and damage, though it's not ground-breaking at either. The idea is that compared to a full Corruption spec, you lose a bit of healing potency for a lot of damage, and compared to a full Madness spec, you lose a bit of damage for a lot of healing and survivability. It's a good mix, CL really isn't necessary.

Been trying out this spec for 24 hours now in a lot of warzones and questing.

It's good. But not amazing. I find myself running out of force CONSTANTLY.

I agree. Love the extra healing but force issues are pretty bad. I still love this spec though

Meh. It hits hard, sure, but is only useable with Wrath, eats mana almost as quickly as Shock, and you have to give up most of your healing boosts to get it. If you're going for a spec designed around damage, just bite the bullet and go 0/13/28 or 0/17/24. If you want a healing/dps hybrid, you'll need up through T4 in Corruption. Efficacious Currents alone is worth it, and the physical cleanse from Sith Purity is amazing in PvP.

Thing is, you try to hybridize too much, you end up mediocre across the board. The 21/2/18 spec is solid at both healing and damage, though it's not ground-breaking at either. The idea is that compared to a full Corruption spec, you lose a bit of healing potency for a lot of damage, and compared to a full Madness spec, you lose a bit of damage for a lot of healing and survivability. It's a good mix, CL really isn't necessary.

Yes, it is only useable with Wrath which procs ALL THE TIME.

How do you not run out of force without electric induction in the lightning tree? Even with it I am having some force issues.

I was thinking of taking two points out of haunted dreams for it

Edited by tsouth

I think the November 24th patch removed the debuff reduction, which in my opinion takes this down from a must-have to a nice-to-have.

Corruption

•Efficacious Currents no longer reduces the duration of Static Barrier’s debuff effect.

How do you not run out of force without electric induction in the lightning tree? Even with it I am having some force issues.

I was thinking of taking two points out of haunted dreams for it

It's a short-fight spec. It's not really designed for healing long-duration fights, anything past about 2-3 minutes in duration is going to be a bit rough from a healing perspective. For soloing and PvP, this isn't an issue, but I wouldn't recommend it for Ops.

On the damage side, it's actually force positive. A full channel of Force Lightning leaves you 18 force higher than you started, as you will regen 48 force over the 3 second channel (24 from base regen, 24 from Sith Efficacy) for a cost of 30. Even factoring in Crushing Darkness and Affliction refreshes, you're still at a net gain when dpsing, so that's not an issue.

I think the November 24th patch removed the debuff reduction, which in my opinion takes this down from a must-have to a nice-to-have.

Corruption

•Efficacious Currents no longer reduces the duration of Static Barrier’s debuff effect.

Well, it still effectively removes the cooldown from Static Barrier, and nearly halves the cost. Give how powerful the shield is and how ridiculous the scaling is on it, I'd say it's still a "must-have".

Edited by Daellia

Nice hybrid build. The only thing I would change is the 5 yard range talent and 4% damage to two attacks in the lightning tree and change to the 9% cheaper force talent.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GhbRZfzMMkZcMcRs0z.1

You will have force issues when healing a flashpoint or group without the 9%.

100% agree, and this is the build I am working on. Nice job, frmorrison!