As a pvp player iam not going to grind new gear via pve. Unsubing

bladech

As the name says. After reading http://dulfy.net/2018/10/11/swtor-patch-5-10-developer-livestream-notes-coverage/ I see that devs are making everything for making pvp player's game experience as worse as possible. Grinding shards? MM operation? "limited time per character per week and gets more expensive the more you do it" if you earn it via components...and nothing about buffing bolster. If you don't want pvp players to play this game you just give us a signal and Yes this one was a huge signal everyone have noticed.

Unsubing and going back to ESO.

As the name says. After reading http://dulfy.net/2018/10/11/swtor-patch-5-10-developer-livestream-notes-coverage/ I see that devs are making everything for making pvp player's game experience as worse as possible. Grinding shards? MM operation? "limited time per character per week and gets more expensive the more you do it" if you earn it via components...and nothing about buffing bolster. If you don't want pvp players to play this game you just give us a signal and Yes this one was a huge signal everyone have noticed.

I'm a little confused here. Doesn't it say that you can get the new gear using UC's you convert to Masterwork shards? http://dulfy.net/2018/10/11/swtor-patch-5-10-developer-livestream-notes-coverage/.

Now in the write up of what was covered in the stream someone added "(limited time per character per week and gets more expensive the more you do it)".

But when you look at what was listed by BW themselves directly - http://dulfy.net/2018/10/11/swtor-patch-5-10-developer-livestream-notes-coverage/ it doesn't say that. It doesn't say anything about "limited time per character per week and get's more expensive the more you do". It just says

"Masterwork shared can be earned from a "special" new Weekly mission, Ossus Weekly, Unassembeled components, and command crates". It's saying you can use UCs to buy masterwork shards directly. So, if that's the case, how is that "limited per week" and how does it get "more expansive the more you do it"? What am I missing here?

If you can get Masterwork Shards using UCs, that would seem to me to indicate than that you can get the new gear solely doing PVP because you can get UCs by solely PVPing and you can get UCs easier in PVP than in PVE. The only thing I can think of that might be a cause for such confusion is that you can only do the new Weely once per week to earn masterwork shards, but that is just one way you can get masterwork shards. But even that I don't see where the confusion could be coming from regarding the " it gets more expansive the more you do it" add on.

How does it get more expensive, and in what way does it get more expensive?

Crafting it and than auging it, okay, sure, the more augments you have to get the more expensive it will be but that will be the case even if you don't craft the new gear and you just get it via Masterwork Shards which you can get by using UCs.

The more characters you have, the more gear you are going to have to augment, but that's the case already no matter how you get gear. If it is suggesting that with regard to buying the gear that other people have crafted, sure, that would be expensive, but you don't have to buy it, you can earn it yourself.

If someone is just lazy and doesn't want to earn it themselves and merely elects to buy it, that's their fault, and is no way a mitigating factor against the system of getting the new gear because you have an option to get it for yourself. If you want to just buy the gear, sure, that's expensive, but that's you're decision and is not the only option. It should be expensive to buy it, in fact, in my opinion, you shouldn't be able to buy it at all with credits, that shouldn't even be an option.

Commentary added by people reporting what was covered in the stream is second hand and could be wrong. I simply don't see what the basis for this comment is when you look at what BW is saying first hand - http://dulfy.net/2018/10/11/swtor-patch-5-10-developer-livestream-notes-coverage/.

So thoughts? Am I missing something here?

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I'm a little confused here. Doesn't it say that you can get the new gear using UC's you convert to Masterwork shards? http://dulfy.net/2018/10/11/swtor-patch-5-10-developer-livestream-notes-coverage/.

Now in the write up of what was covered in the stream someone added "(limited time per character per week and gets more expensive the more you do it)".

But when you look at what was listed by BW themselves directly - http://dulfy.net/2018/10/11/swtor-patch-5-10-developer-livestream-notes-coverage/ it doesn't say that. It doesn't say anything about "limited time per character per week and get's more expensive the more you do". It just says

"Masterwork shared can be earned from a "special" new Weekly mission, Ossus Weekly, Unassembeled components, and command crates". It's saying you can use UCs to buy masterwork shards directly. So, if that's the case, how is that "limited per week" and how does it get "more expansive the more you do it"? What am I missing here?

If you can get Masterwork Shards using UCs, that would seem to me to indicate than that you can get the new gear solely doing PVP because you can get UCs by solely PVPing and you can get UCs easier in PVP than in PVE. The only thing I can think of that might be a cause for such confusion is that you can only do the new Weely once per week to earn masterwork shards, but that is just one way you can get masterwork shards. But even that I don't see where the confusion could be coming from regarding the " it gets more expansive the more you do it" add on.

Crafting it and than auging it, okay, sure, the more augments you have to get the more expensive it will be but that will be the case even if you don't craft the new gear and you just get it via Masterwork Shards which you can get by using UCs.

The more characters you have, the more gear you are going to have to augment, but that's the case already no matter how you get gear. If it is suggesting that with regard to buying the gear that other people have crafted, sure, that would be expensive, but you don't have to buy it, you can earn it yourself.

If someone is just lazy and doesn't want to earn it themselves and merely elects to buy it, that's their fault, and is no way a mitigating factor against the system of getting the new gear because you have an option to get it for yourself. If you want to just buy the gear, sure, that's expensive, but that's you're decision and is not the only option. It should be expensive to buy it, in fact, in my opinion, you shouldn't be able to buy it at all with credits, that shouldn't even be an option.

Commentary added by people reporting what was covered in the stream is second hand and could be wrong. I simply don't see what the basis for this comment is when you look at what BW is saying first hand - http://dulfy.net/2018/10/11/swtor-patch-5-10-developer-livestream-notes-coverage/.

They acually said about time/week limits for buying shard by using UCs. So yeah,i agree with OP that devs screwed up completely. During their stream they repeated a few times that getting gear via pve will be the fastest way to acquire it while other ways will be much slower. They also said that buying shards with UC will be limited per character and week + that each time you buy them via UC they will become more and more expensive...

Oh and they didn't say anything about buffing bolster or i missed it? I think i didn't...so bolster will remain the same

Edited by omaan

I'm a little confused here.

You really need to watch the stream video, they say much more than Dulfy wrote down. The way they explained it is that you can convert the UCs to shards on a 1 character, but it will be limited per week so that you cant buy all gear pieces on day 1 by converting UCs!

Also the conversion rate will rise as you do it on that specific toon (probably). Which means you will then need to use other toons to convert since it will become too expensive on that one toon. This is refering to having a Sage who needs healer and dps gear for example.

I suggest you rewatch the stream.

They acually said about time/week limits for buying shard by using UCs. So yeah,i agree with OP that devs screwed up completely. During their stream they repeated a few times that getting gear via pve will be the fastest way to acquire it while other ways will be much slower. They also said that buying shards with UC will be limited per character and week + that each time you buy them via UC they will become more and more expensive...

Oh and they didn't say anything about buffing bolster or i missed it? I think i didn't...so bolster will remain the same

Okay, well than that certainly changes things. I don't mind so much if it will be slower just getting it using UCs than in NiM content, as long as it will still be readily available to PVPers nonetheless but, weekly limits on buying shards using UCs, that I don't like at all. Even if you have stockpiled a ton of UCs [i'm sitting on 50k], you earned it, you put the time in and you did it with end game content, that shouldn't be penalized. That I don't like at all and does give the impression that PVP is less viable for gearing which I don't think is fair. At the same time, as a former HM/NiM Progression raider, I do think NiM should be a faster way to get it, in my opinion it is far harder content than PVP and that's based on my own personal experience [others make take a different veiw of course, that's just my personal opinion], that's only valid however if the PVP way isn't vastly slower/or torturous in comparison like gearing was between 5.0 and 5.2.

Weekly limits/gets more expensive as you go, that I am not in favor of at all. You earn what you get, and that should be the only barrier. You put in the time, you do the work, you are earning it fair and square and there shouldn't be weekly lockouts for that. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how much slower and harder earning the new gear will be in comparison to NiM content, as long as it's not a huge gap, I'll deal. DF/DP NiM, that can be tortuous and credulously hard, it should earn them a bit more imo, but it shouldn't be massive differences in gear time for PVPers. Right or wrong is irrelevant, no one cares about content they don't do, that's not a part of their world and gaming experience. If gearing times between the two methods is 25% gear timing difference, okay, I can accept that personally, but it shouldn't be more.

That said, I know there are many PVPers who wouldn't even be okay with that. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Okay, well than that certainly changes things. I don't mind so much if it will be slower just getting it using UCs than in NiM content, as long as it will still be readily available to PVPers nonetheless but, weekly limits on buying shards using UCs, that I don't like at all. Even if you have stockpiled a ton of UCs [i'm sitting on 50k], you earned it, you put the time in and you did it with end game content, that shouldn't be penalized. That I don't like at all and does give the impression that PVP is less viable for gearing which I don't think is fair. At the same time, as a former HM/NiM Progression raider, I do think NiM should be a faster way to get it, in my opinion it is far harder content than PVP and that's based on my own personal experience [others make take a different veiw of course, that's just my personal opinion], that's only valid however if the PVP way isn't vastly slower/or torturous in comparison like gearing was between 5.0 and 5.2.

Weekly limits/gets more expensive as you go, that I am not in favor of at all. You earn what you get, and that should be the only barrier. You put in the time, you do the work, you are earning it fair and square and there shouldn't be weekly lockouts for that. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how much slower and harder earning the new gear will be in comparison to NiM content, as long as it's not a huge gap, I'll deal. DF/DP NiM, that can be tortuous and credulously hard, it should earn them a bit more imo, but it shouldn't be massive differences in gear time for PVPers. Right or wrong is irrelevant, no one cares about content they don't do, that's not a part of their world and gaming experience. If gearing times between the two methods is 25% gear timing difference, okay, I can accept that personally, but it shouldn't be more.

That said, I know there are many PVPers who wouldn't even be okay with that. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Iam playing ranked mostly and i think it is as hard as NiM so i should be able to get these shards too in order to be wnle to gear my other toons. But devs dont care much about what we like to play they only want us to play pve. But that doesnt matter at all. My sub ends in a few weeks and i have stopped recurring it. Soon i will play another game which is more loyal to pvp

Edited by bladech

I have to say that if I or anyone else spends the time in game to earn UC to get shards there should not be a limit to 1 per day or whatever. If I spend 12 hours which I probably cannot due to ques doing pvp and get enough for 10 shard I should be able to trade them, Just because I do not want to do PvE should not mean I get punished

I’m sure if Bioware polled the pvp population (pure pvpers), they would see that nobody likes this proposed system in its current form.

Not many people post here, so Ive been asking in every pvp match and pvpers are furious about being forced to play pve stuff to gear.

So many already hate this current system and if they introduce this new one in its current form, we will see another exodus of pvp players like we saw when 5.0 gearing was introduced.

How many more pvp players or paying players can this game afford to lose? Not very many before they end up turning off the servers.

This continued approach of driving players away from the game and thinking they’ll get people to come back isn’t working. If it was, the game wouldn’t have 5 servers, which could effectively be 2 if based on the total active players.

I really hope they are listening to the feed back. It’s a shame people have just given up fighting them on the forums or posting. The apathy has gotten so bad that people just leave or can’t be bothered to fight for the game and try to get the Devs to change their minds. That means the Devs will see hardly any push back and think it’s ok to go ahead with it.

If polls weren’t against the forum tos, I would start one so we could show the Devs how many people think it’s a good idea. Even then, with so few people posting or reading the forums these days, it wouldn’t work. What we need is a poll through social media and see how many people we can get to vote.

Does anyone know any good poll sites? If you are good at marketing or getting polls together on social media, maybe you could get one going and we can promote it in pvp games to get pvpers to vote

I totally feel you and will likely not play either. Ironic since I'm a MM raider, gods is just my absolute least favorite raid and since other MM ops won't drop any of this stuff I likely won't be sticking around either for any longer than it takes to complete story bit. I really don't want to run only Gods for months on end to gear. Jesus.

I started another thread earlier today to ask about Bolster and not one post in it. I guess people just don’t care or understand what this will mean if Bolster isn’t adjusted to a reasonable lvl.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=954954

If you feel Bolster needs to be part of the conversation. I urge you all to participate in the Bolster thread so bioware can see it.

Setting aside the fact that some PvPers simply do not want to touch PvE but others see it as a useful pathway to gear in some cases.........

It's pretty much a level playing field to acquire gear for the PvPer. By this I mean that you have a pathway via UCs.. and that means never needing to touch PvE. Even though it appears they will throttle the conversion rate... it's the same throttle for every PvPer. I expect that part of this was to level the field for the PvPers who will only go the UC conversion route... because as we all know.. some PvPers are sitting on hoards of UCs.. and if there was no throttle.. then they would in fact have a full new set of tier 5 gear one hour after logging in after the patch goes live. PvPers not sitting on a large stack of unused UCs.. would be at an immediate disadvantage. This also normalizes to some degree the various pathways to the tier 5 gear. Why should PvPers siting on a hoard of UCs have instant conversion to a currency to purchase gear while PvEers and crafters have to go grind it out on the new patch?????

I honestly do not see an issue here.. other then impatience on the part of PvPers who want to win the gear war aspect of PvP on day one. It's not like a lot of avid end game hard group content PvEers are over competing with the avid ranked PvP players. Nor is it fair that a PvPer with a large hoard of UCs from a year of playing PvP and not needing to spend them has gear on day one.. but other PvPers (who also only PvP) who are not sitting on a year of UCs accumulated get's left behind on day one.

Now.. if the only way to get the gear was the PvE path.. then I can see some of the angst from PvPers who do not like to PvE as valid. But clearly, from the disclosures yesterday.. this is not the case and the throttle on UC conversions in principle (we have to see if they bork it up in the patch somehow) is a fairness scheme designed to keep all the PvP only players on a level playing field in gear acquisition.

Edited by Andryah

Setting aside the fact that some PvPers simply do not want to touch PvE but others see it as a useful pathway to gear in some cases.........

It's pretty much a level playing field to acquire gear for the PvPer. By this I mean that you have a pathway via UCs.. and that means never needing to touch PvE. Even though it appears they will throttle the conversion rate... it's the same throttle for every PvPer. I expect that part of this was to level the field for the PvPers who will only go the UC conversion route... because as we all know.. some PvPers are sitting on hoards of UCs.. and if there was no throttle.. then they would in fact have a full new set of tier 5 gear one hour after logging in after the patch goes live. PvPers not sitting on a large stack of unused UCs.. would be at an immediate disadvantage. This also normalizes to some degree the various pathways to the tier 5 gear. Why should PvPers siting on a hoard of UCs have instant conversion to a currency to purchase gear while PvEers and crafters have to go grind it out on the new patch?????

I honestly do not see an issue here.. other then impatience on the part of PvPers who want to win the gear war aspect of PvP on day one. It's not like a lot of avid end game hard group content PvEers are over competing with the avid ranked PvP players. Nor is it fair that a PvPer with a large hoard of UCs from a year of playing PvP and not needing to spend them has gear on day one.. but other PvPers (who also only PvP) who are not sitting on a year of UCs accumulated get's left behind on day one.

Now.. if the only way to get the gear was the PvE path.. then I can see some of the angst from PvPers who do not like to PvE as valid. But clearly, from the disclosures yesterday.. this is not the case and the throttle on UC conversions in principle (we have to see if they bork it up in the patch somehow) is a fairness scheme designed to keep all the PvP only players on a level playing field in gear acquisition.

I’m not sure if you watched the stream or not, but they were very specific in saying that it will get more expensive everytime you use UCs. That means you won’t be able to gear up using UCs because they will be useless after the first 3 buys.

Gearing in pvp by using UCs will be impossible,

I’m not sure if you watched the stream or not, but they were very specific in saying that it will get more expensive everytime you use UCs. That means you won’t be able to gear up using UCs because they will be useless after the first 3 buys.

Gearing in pvp by using UCs will be impossible,

I understand.. but none of us know the conversion rate or scaling yet... much less firm limits or gates ... so your assertion is premature. I'm not convinced the studio has even set the parameters for conversion yet.... so players should be on this on the PTS to make sure of what they plan to do and give them feedback if it looks illogical or imbalanced.

It clearly is a fairness scheme designed to try to manage fairness between PvPers who only PvP in terms of how fast they can ramp up the gear and how much advantage they can gain from hoarded UCs in advance of the patch. It's also not clear at all that PvE will be a faster approach... but it certainly won't be required (unlike earlier assumptions by PvPers in the absence of more details).

Would you prefer that UCs be wiped (or made useless for the new gear) and you have to start grinding for MWS? Because they could have easily gone that route... they have done similar in the past.

Edited by Andryah

Here to support this thread. After this stupidity was announced i have no desire to return to active play. Im not a MM raider and never will be - its too much of a time and group commitment (i.e. i need 8 people who can be on at the same time at least twice a week for several hours that can handle the inevitable repeated wipefests that are a part of learning). I can't mentally handle bashing the same boss fruitlessly for hours on end with no progress, thus the reason I choose pvp - bad matches are at least, over with quickly.

I also would have no issue with gear being exclusive to MM if it gave no advantage in pvp. But since it does give MM raiders an advantage over actual pvpers, there should be an equally fast route for both player types to gear. (I.e. if it takes 3 weeks to totally gear via MM it should be 3 weeks to totally gear via PvP.)

Coupled with the direction I see them going toward for group pvp, my time will be spent somewhere i can still have fun. Which, for the first time in 6 years is not swtor.

As a long time and dedicated subscriber and player, to include being a guild leader, I feel totally abandoned and unappreciated by the direction the game is heading.

I don't you think you have to be exclusively a pvp player to be unhappy about yet another gear grind. I won't be unsubbing because of it, I just won't be actively engaged in getting anything extra beyond normal play. I find it hard to believe that the devs would look at their data, or look at any official surveys or polls, and conclude that gear/tier grinds are what keep people happy. Maybe that data exists, but you don't often hear anyone ever saying this.

However, I'll bet that doesn't matter. I'll bet that adding gear/tier grinds looks to their bosses like they are adding "content" despite the population of people who sub/play exclusively to gear/tier grind being extremely, extremely miniscule. It's probably very cheap to implement as well.

Minimal resources, maximum results--EA (I mean, the Emperor, during the Dread Master jailbreak, without the foresight to predict the aftermath)

The other thing that seemed odd about the phrasing of the component farming--the only content you need this new highest gear for is MM GOTM. And the only "fast" way to do it (is NiM raiding fast? :rolleyes: )...is to run MM GOTM. Circular logic, that.

Edited by aerockyul

Bye Casual. Your stuff, please.

Putting caps on certain things, like currency, is nothing new to SWTOR. Start hoarding UC's so you can spend the weekly maximum. They also specifically said "PER CHARACTER." So if UC's are legacy bound, you can literally move your stacks of UC around and buy one piece of gear. So it seems like you should be able to gear one toon immediately if you hoard enough UC's?

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Putting caps on certain things, like currency, is nothing new to SWTOR. Start hoarding UC's so you can spend the weekly maximum. They also specifically said "PER CHARACTER." So if UC's are legacy bound, you can literally move your stacks of UC around and buy one piece of gear. So it seems like you should be able to gear one toon immediately if you hoard enough UC's?

Did you read what he even said? The staff themselves said gearing through UCs will be slower than outright crafting it or even buying from the GTN.

I agree with KendraP's suggestion: make 248+ gear have no stat effect on PvP if PvPers cannot obtain it through PvP.

Did you read what he even said? The staff themselves said gearing through UCs will be slower than outright crafting it or even buying from the GTN.

I agree with KendraP's suggestion: make 248+ gear have no stat effect on PvP if PvPers cannot obtain it through PvP.

So what? You'll be able to gear at least one toon right away, and each week you'll be able to gear more toons. They also said in the stream that there are tons of folks sitting on fat stacks of cash. And the people that purely pvp can farm rare mats for cash. You can make a lot of money selling CMT's.

Reg WZ's will be virtually unaffected. Yolos will probably be about the same since undergeared folks queue all the time anyway. Granked will probably be the most adversely affected as some players will not want to put their undergeared toons in a situation where they lose rank. I foresee Granked pops dying for a while.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I don't you think you have to be exclusively a pvp player to be unhappy about yet another gear grind.

That would be an entirely different topic of discussion, but I agree with you. :)

Just because the studio tosses in some new gear with very nominal stat boosts, no change in set bonus, and something that requires a lot of effort to acquire the resources (regardless of which pathway you choose.. and there are several per yesterdays stream) does not mean it is objectively worth it to chase after said gear.

The tier 5 gear is stated to be a small increase in primary and secondary stats.. so I do question the value of chasing after it. But you know.. some players will jump on any hamster wheel the studio puts in the cage called SWTOR without even considering what they are gaining for the effort and resources they are applying.

This will probably be the last gear bump before 6.0.. and if 6.0 is like every other expac when they raise level cap.... even freshly itemized random drops in game in 6.0 will be better then this tier 5 gear (save for the set bonus). So I encourage players to take time to actually assess what they are gaining before jumping on yet another hamster wheel (unless it is a hamster wheel they actually enjoy).

Edited by Andryah

The throttle on spending UCs will only be PER WEEK, and PER CHARACTER.

You will get UCs whether you win or lose a match, and you are sitting on tens of thousands.

MM raiders are never guaranteed UCs or gear. They have to actually win the fight to get any rewards at all.

You will earn shards for doing the Ossus weekly mission, the "special" weekly mission, and in command crates in addition to using your Unassembled Components. This does NOT require you to run a MM raid to get gear. A little PvE if you want to increase your speed (doing the new planet weeklies), or ignoring it completely you will still get it for UCs AND in your command crates.

They will straight up be putting the gear itself in Command Crates at Rank 300 (rare, but there) and for doing the Ossus World Boss weekly.

Are you really surprised that they don't want to work on an entire game and have people ignore 80% of it? Of course they want you to play the other parts of the game at least a little bit.

But they have not, in any way, shut PvP people out of access to this new gear, or made it so that you have to buy credit farmer credits to afford it. There are other ways, they just aren't instant. But none of the PvE pathways are instant either.

No MMO in the world just hands out gear without some grind. Even for PvP. I think that it is important for every single one of you in this thread complaining to get on the PTS and give feedback. If not, you're not doing yourself any favors, and just want something to complain about on the forums. If you don't like the system, help them test and give feedback on how to improve it or make a better one. Or, just quit the game having done nothing to be helpful to those that remain and want a better PvP gearing system.

I'm someone who walked away from the game after giving them an immense amount of ignored feedback, so I get where you're coming from here... but you have to do the constructive feedback part first if you really want things to change. Get on the PTS and give them feedback about this before it goes live. You have until December (and probably late December at that).

Yeah, say it to tonnes of other pvp players. Soon you will sit in the game which will have 100 players online during prime time and all you would be able to troll will be kors'luggs on empty korriban since most of players won't play a game which is being abandoned by huge quantity of community.

The throttle on spending UCs will only be PER WEEK, and PER CHARACTER.

You will get UCs whether you win or lose a match, and you are sitting on tens of thousands.

MM raiders are never guaranteed UCs or gear. They have to actually win the fight to get any rewards at all.

You will earn shards for doing the Ossus weekly mission, the "special" weekly mission, and in command crates in addition to using your Unassembled Components. This does NOT require you to run a MM raid to get gear. A little PvE if you want to increase your speed (doing the new planet weeklies), or ignoring it completely you will still get it for UCs AND in your command crates.

They will straight up be putting the gear itself in Command Crates at Rank 300 (rare, but there) and for doing the Ossus World Boss weekly.

Are you really surprised that they don't want to work on an entire game and have people ignore 80% of it? Of course they want you to play the other parts of the game at least a little bit.

But they have not, in any way, shut PvP people out of access to this new gear, or made it so that you have to buy credit farmer credits to afford it. There are other ways, they just aren't instant. But none of the PvE pathways are instant either.

No MMO in the world just hands out gear without some grind. Even for PvP. I think that it is important for every single one of you in this thread complaining to get on the PTS and give feedback. If not, you're not doing yourself any favors, and just want something to complain about on the forums. If you don't like the system, help them test and give feedback on how to improve it or make a better one. Or, just quit the game having done nothing to be helpful to those that remain and want a better PvP gearing system.

I'm someone who walked away from the game after giving them an immense amount of ignored feedback, so I get where you're coming from here... but you have to do the constructive feedback part first if you really want things to change. Get on the PTS and give them feedback about this before it goes live. You have until December (and probably late December at that).

/Applause and /Endorsement. :)