Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why is there no kill option for Lana?

Avashnea

I'd say it's more likely, that those of us who like her, have an imagination (no not like that geeze mind out of the gutter) to go a little more with what they give.

That said, who cares if it forces her on those who hate her? I haven't seen a consensus yet on a companion that is liked by all.

Theron? Not liked by all.

Quinn? Not liked by many.

Arcann? Not liked by many.

Koth? Hated by so many they didn't even see fit to let him finish the story he was in.

No matter what companion they force on you, someone will hate them, and I get the feeling Lana's hate is less than 50% of the player base.

This. I feel like some people want a perfect little world where the only companions that ever say two words to them or get seen on screen are the hot men they want to romance. It doesn't work that way. This isn't the SIMS where you get to dictate everything that happens.

Everyone in this game has had to deal with companions they don't like. I won't play the JK story again because Doc is triggering to me. I have had to deal with chapters and storylines with Theron, Quinn, Doc, Senya, SCORPIO, Skadge...plenty of companions I detest. Try disagreeing with Theron in SoR, Republic side. He actually rants and insults you. That's real fun. But that's the game and asking the writers to remove main characters from the game is ridiculous.

And I find it amusing that the same people who complain that Lana "fawns over them" are the ones who love Quinn, who does nothing but lick the PC's boots and bow and scrape for their approval from the moment he first shows up on screen, to the point where other characters comment on it.

No I do understand! I'm saying that the devs can give us all content that we want, and they've said it could include new stuff for bricked characters. So me losing Lana in the future might not necessarily screw up other people's game.

I hope so.

This. I feel like some people want a perfect little world where the only companions that ever say two words to them or get seen on screen are the hot men they want to romance. It doesn't work that way. This isn't the SIMS where you get to dictate everything that happens.

Everyone in this game has had to deal with companions they don't like. I won't play the JK story again because Doc is triggering to me. I have had to deal with chapters and storylines with Theron, Quinn, Doc, Senya, SCORPIO, Skadge...plenty of companions I detest. Try disagreeing with Theron in SoR, Republic side. He actually rants and insults you. That's real fun. But that's the game and asking the writers to remove main characters from the game is ridiculous.

And I find it amusing that the same people who complain that Lana "fawns over them" are the ones who love Quinn, who does nothing but lick the PC's boots and bow and scrape for their approval from the moment he first shows up on screen, to the point where other characters comment on it.

Really? I disliked Quinn and never romanced him but yet I am not a fan of Lana either as she doesn't fit for my republic characters so be careful about putting people in a certain group as that can backfire on you as it just did.

This feels a bit unfair to me. :(

Yes i like the hot men to romance, that doesn't mean i want to kill off every single female LI (there's only 1 i really wish i could kill and that is Ashara, because she really, really rubs me the wrong way no matter what i do, well i don't like DS Jaesa either, but her at least i can avoid by getting LS Jaesa instead), and i'm not among the people who dislike Lana.

And so far the LI who can be killed had been mostly the hot men...

With the exception of Kaliyo and Vette (and when you look at the auto-complete choice concerning the Vette/Torian situation, Vette is saved by default for 5 classes out of 8.

This feels a bit unfair to me. :(

Yes i like the hot men to romance, that doesn't mean i want to kill off every single female LI (there's only 1 i really wish i could kill and that is Ashara, because she really, really rubs me the wrong way no matter what i do, well i don't like DS Jaesa either, but her at least i can avoid by getting LS Jaesa instead), and i'm not among the people who dislike Lana.

And so far the LI who can be killed had been mostly the hot men...

With the exception of Kaliyo and Vette (and when you look at the auto-complete choice concerning the Vette/Torian situation, Vette is saved by default for 5 classes out of 8.[/QUOTe]

Really? I disliked Quinn and never romanced him but yet I am not a fan of Lana either as she doesn't fit for my republic characters so be careful about putting people in a certain group as that can backfire on you as it just did.

You two aren't the ones I'm referring to. I said "some." Not all.

I also didn't say people who dislike Lana; I specifically said people who complain that she fawns over them. There's a specific set who repeatedly complain about that and seem to use it as a justification to remove her, and yet Quinn is ten times worse with the flattery and fawning, and he can do no wrong to them. That's hilarious to me.

As for the "hot men," and Vette being saved. I'd counter that all eight classes save Theron by default, which points to him being the only killable character who might still get significant screen time. And I'd also point out that NONE of the AAs this year (male or female) have faced kill options, and that the female LIs who have had those class-specific AAs are as good as dead, since they will never will be back in the main story. Quinn was given a kill option, but only for Sith Warriors, and everyone else has him alive if they sided Empire.

But the killing off of all the LIs is why we're here, isn't it? They've killed and killed and killed and yet for some people it's not enough and they seem to want even more characters bounced from the story until there's literally nobody left alive for everyone.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

As for the "hot men," and Vette being saved. I'd counter that all eight classes save Theron by default, which points to him being the only killable character who might still get significant screen time. And I'd also point out that NONE of the AAs this year (male or female) have faced kill options, and that the female LIs who have had those class-specific AAs are as good as dead, since they will never will be back in the main story. Quinn was given a kill option, but only for Sith Warriors, and everyone else has him alive if they sided Empire.

Quite true. Though, i'll admit about Theron that if it means he still has content i'd be happy about that, but i'd really like some content for all the other LIs as well.

These class specific AA sucked on so many levels to me, and I actually don't get why these class specific AA didn't get kill options, as, as you said they're pretty much dead storywise, unless they decide to give these one some screentime in the future. But if it's the case, i hope they extend the courtesy to the killable ones too.

I'd not kill Vector for instance, because i don't think he ever did anything wrong to my IA and he would clearly not deserve it, but i do consider him dead nonetheless because he's not part of the main story since the end of the IA class story, so a kill option on him would not have changed anything for me actually...

Quite true. Though, i'll admit about Theron that if it means he still has content i'd be happy about that, but i'd really like some content for all the other LIs as well.

These class specific AA sucked on so many levels to me, and I actually don't get why these class specific AA didn't get kill options, as, as you said they're pretty much dead storywise, unless they decide to give these one some screentime in the future. But if it's the case, i hope they extend the courtesy to the killable ones too.

I'd not kill Vector for instance, because i don't think he ever did anything wrong to my IA and he would clearly not deserve it, but i do consider him dead nonetheless because he's not part of the main story since the end of the IA class story, so a kill option on him would not have changed anything for me actually...

I want content for all the LIs too, even those I hate. I want people to feel happy with the companions they want around in the game. I just feel we can accomplish that in ways other than killing off everyone.

Yes. I counted it up the other day and including 5.10, they've pulled the "bricking-by-AA" route with 11 different love interests, five male and six female. Elara isn't killable but since she refuses to follow some characters she's also bricked. Added to the ones that were killable...yeah. It's a bloodbath. Add the non-romance AAs and kill options (Senya, SCORPIO) and you end up with 30+ that are among the dead.

I think the AAs this year were a trainwreck overall, but I also feel like maybe they're trying to move away from the bloodbath of recent years, at least, I hope so. Maybe they're trying to ease players out of the habit of killing everyone off. I think they must know they've created a quagmire at this point with all the companions and other characters they've killed or written out.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

AGREE!

Especially since most of the characters I play are straight males I think it's patently unfair that anyone be grouped as just liking hot males. I am a woman but I like to play BOTH genders thank-you-very-much! Lana doesn't fit with *any* of my characters not one.

AGREE!

Especially since most of the characters I play are straight males I think it's patently unfair that anyone be grouped as just liking hot males. I am a woman but I like to play BOTH genders thank-you-very-much! Lana doesn't fit with *any* of my characters not one.

The word "some" appears to be lost on you.

I want content for all the LIs too, even those I hate.

Heck, I'd like content for non LIs too. Take Blizz and Guss for example. Two fun characters that add laughs. I mean, I know romance is pretty big around here and all, but we get the same tripe about regular alerts that we get about kill option ones. We can't include them because not everyone does the alerts. So? Just do it. I'd love to be able to take Guss along with my Inquisitor to Ossus and let him bumble around. Or even better, bring Talos with me on my Knight. I'd bet he'd have some unique insight.

I want content for all the LIs too, even those I hate. I want people to feel happy with the companions they want around in the game. I just feel we can accomplish that in ways other than killing off everyone.

Yes. I counted it up the other day and including 5.10, they've pulled the "bricking-by-AA" route with 11 different love interests, five male and six female. Elara isn't killable but since she refuses to follow some characters she's also bricked. Added to the ones that were killable...yeah. It's a bloodbath. Add the non-romance AAs and kill options (Senya, SCORPIO) and you end up with 30+ that are among the dead.

I think the AAs this year were a trainwreck overall, but I also feel like maybe they're trying to move away from the bloodbath of recent years, at least, I hope so. Maybe they're trying to ease players out of the habit of killing everyone off. I think they must know they've created a quagmire at this point with all the companions and other characters they've killed or written out.

Yep i really hope they stop giving random kill options. Especially when it's good for some companions but is too much for others..., either give that to every possible companion and we're all left with empty shells or stop it completely (it should never have been started anyways)

But only time will tell if they'll stop with that.

I'd really love if they could stop considering that dead for one = dead for everyone too. I really enjoyed Jorgan, Torian, Vector and Theron as romances, now, i don't even know if they'll still be there anymore. I started a romance with Koth on a smuggler, but it ended up going nowhere after his kill option was given, i just deleted the character as i needed room for a new one...

Haven't found a female LI i really enjoyed romancing so far. Lana is quite nice, but she doesn't fit with any of my main characters, so she's just my JK's BFF for now. I'll try Akaavi with my smuggler, but don't know yet if i'll like it. Most of the female LI are not bad as characters, but not that great for me as LI options

Or even better, bring Talos with me on my Knight. I'd bet he'd have some unique insight.

This is something i'd like to see actually.

Imagine the endless talking between Talos and Gnost-Dural as they both seem very passionate about history, they could learn so much from each other. :o

Edited by Goreshaga

Heck, I'd like content for non LIs too. Take Blizz and Guss for example. Two fun characters that add laughs. I mean, I know romance is pretty big around here and all, but we get the same tripe about regular alerts that we get about kill option ones. We can't include them because not everyone does the alerts. So? Just do it. I'd love to be able to take Guss along with my Inquisitor to Ossus and let him bumble around. Or even better, bring Talos with me on my Knight. I'd bet he'd have some unique insight.

I agree with this, too. There are so many platonic companions I miss talking with that are now bricked because they were AA, and one doesn't need to do every single thing with a LI. Many of my characters don't romance anyone at all until they get to Lana and can do a SGR, but they end up with close friends among their class companions. Running around with those companions and hearing their commentary and reactions is one of the best things about the class stories for me.

Can you imagine the delightful geekfest with Talos talking with a Jedi Consular about artifacts? Or a trooper arguing tactics with Pierce? A smuggler with Blizz? There are a lot of really entertaining things they could do there.

Goreshaga said it too, not having Talos on Ossus would be such a shame. He'd be like a kid in a candy store and could have the best dialogue ever.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I agree with this, too. There are so many companions I miss talking with, and one doesn't need to do every single thing with a LI. Many of my characters don't romance anyone at all until they get to Lana and can do a SGR.

Can you imagine the geekfest with Talos talking with a Jedi Consular about artifacts? Or a trooper arguing tactics with Pierce? A smuggler with Blizz? There are a lot of really entertaining things they could do there.

Goreshaga said it too, not having Talos on Ossus would be such a shame. He'd be like a kid in a candy store and could have the best dialogue ever.

My JK was single untill she met Theron. And both my male SI and JC are still singles too, the first one has yet to find a nice man for himself (i so wish i could keep Cytharat for him...) and the second one has not shown any particular interest for either male or female so far.

Oh yep, my JC and Talos would be such a pair, that'd be really funny these 2 tiny guys always talking about a lot of things they've learned.

It's such a shame that Talos is only an AA and not part of the "main" cast

My JK was single untill she met Theron. And both my male SI and JC are still singles too, the first one has yet to find a nice man for himself (i so wish i could keep Cytharat for him...) and the second one has not shown any particular interest for either male or female so far.

Oh yep, my JC and Talos would be such a pair, that'd be really funny these 2 tiny guys always talking about a lot of things they've learned.

It's such a shame that Talos is only an AA and not part of the "main" cast

Yeah, I have a few characters who are still single because nobody feels right for them. I'm really hoping there will be some options in 5.10 and 6.0 that might interest them. As much as I love Lana, romancing every single female character with her doesn't work. If Kira had been a SGR option my JK would have jumped into that romance.

I think I'll always feel that it was a huge waste that they didn't have Talos in the main story. Given his extensive knowledge of ancient Sith and experiences with ghosts and the SI, he would have been so valuable and his personality would have been great to lighten the mood, as it did in the SI story. I would have loved if if they had turned his little mission into a full chapter about going to Yavin 4 to try to find some clues to defeat Valkorion.

Yeah, I have a few characters who are still single because nobody feels right for them. I'm really hoping there will be some options in 5.10 and 6.0 that might interest them. As much as I love Lana, romancing every single female character with her doesn't work. If Kira had been a SGR option my JK would have jumped into that romance.

I think I'll always feel that it was a huge waste that they didn't have Talos in the main story. Given his extensive knowledge of ancient Sith and experiences with ghosts and the SI, he would have been so valuable and his personality would have been great to lighten the mood, as it did in the SI story. I would have loved if if they had turned his little mission into a full chapter about going to Yavin 4 to try to find some clues to defeat Valkorion.

I'd not have romanced Kira on my JK, but she could've worked pretty well as a SSR.

Doc sure would have had some weird fantaisies about that :rolleyes:

This would've been nice, and yes he could've been a great asset to try to find a way to get rid off Valkorion once and for all.

I'd say it's more likely, that those of us who like her, have an imagination (no not like that geeze mind out of the gutter) to go a little more with what they give.

That said, who cares if it forces her on those who hate her? I haven't seen a consensus yet on a companion that is liked by all.

Theron? Not liked by all.

Quinn? Not liked by many.

Arcann? Not liked by many.

Koth? Hated by so many they didn't even see fit to let him finish the story he was in.

No matter what companion they force on you, someone will hate them, and I get the feeling Lana's hate is less than 50% of the player base.

If you have to make up a personality for someone in your own head then their personality is lacking to begin with.

Since every single one of those characters you listed has a kill option, Lana should too :) she's disproportionately favored which makes many of us hate her even more. All of the characters WE like are turned into silent bricks after having a kill option or are returned in a 2 minute throwaway cutscene and then turned into silent bricks or are yet to return at all. Why should your precious princess be spared when everyone else has to have every character they love taken away and then to rub salt in the wounds have Lana shoved in our face even more? I would rather have the whole slate cleared, have every existing companion silent and gone from the story forever with no hope of any spark of life ever again and start over with new companions than have Lana continued to be shoved down my throat at every turn.

I heard that depending on your actions she might leave of her own accord and I really hope that's true. Whatever action that might be I will delete all of my characters and play them again from the start if I have to in order to choose whatever makes her leave.

If you have to make up a personality for someone in your own head then their personality is lacking to begin with.

Since every single one of those characters you listed has a kill option, Lana should too :) she's disproportionately favored which makes many of us hate her even more. All of the characters WE like are turned into silent bricks after having a kill option or are returned in a 2 minute throwaway cutscene and then turned into silent bricks or are yet to return at all. Why should your precious princess be spared when everyone else has to have every character they love taken away and then to rub salt in the wounds have Lana shoved in our face even more? I would rather have the whole slate cleared, have every existing companion silent and gone from the story forever with no hope of any spark of life ever again and start over with new companions than have Lana continued to be shoved down my throat at every turn.

I heard that depending on your actions she might leave of her own accord and I really hope that's true. Whatever action that might be I will delete all of my characters and play them again from the start if I have to in order to choose whatever makes her leave.

Amen!

Yeah, I'm not too much of a fan of Lana. I'm frankly sick of her and she annoys me. It's only fair at this point. Practically everyone from the Eternal empire storyline is dead (or can be dead) except her. She's obviously favored by the devs. I don't even care for her to have a kill option, just a 'go away' or 'you've done your thing, go home now' or just becoming irrelevant is all I need. Just...no more telling me what to do.

Okay, Lana isn't my favorite companion, but I have to stand back in awe at this level of hatred! :D The thought of making all one's characters do what will alienate Lana... rather than simply roleplaying them as per their established personalities... brings new meaning to the phrase "love to hate"! How will you go on when the focus of that animosity is gone? How will you ever roleplay your characters without her around to guide you? :p

Yeah, I'm not too much of a fan of Lana. I'm frankly sick of her and she annoys me. It's only fair at this point. Practically everyone from the Eternal empire storyline is dead (or can be dead) except her. She's obviously favored by the devs. I don't even care for her to have a kill option, just a 'go away' or 'you've done your thing, go home now' or just becoming irrelevant is all I need. Just...no more telling me what to do.

What's funny is...

"No fair to kill my fave!"

"Only fair to kill the one I hate!"

All coming from the same people.

Don't kill companions. It's that simple.

One you liked got killed? Oh well. Doesn't mean go out and kill the ones others liked. Nice to know that people hating how it felt to have a companion they liked killed want to push it on others. *eye roll*

I'm just curious if that line of thinking is from twelve year olds.

IThat said, who cares if it forces her on those who hate her? I haven't seen a consensus yet on a companion that is liked by all.

Bioware should care. I don't think the game is healthy enough to drive away players by forcing one or two companions on everyone for years at a time. And that is precisely why the current way they are doing companions is bad. Forcing players to play exclusively with one or two companions ruins the game for them if they happen to hate that companion. In Vanilla there was very little content that required any particular companion. For most it is nothing more than the planet they are recruited on, and even there it is is only part of the time. We were given choices so we could largely ignore companions we don't like. Think about how miserable IoNonSoEVero was made by having a short amount of time with Doc, and Doc is only required for a small fraction of the Knight's class quest. I doubt she'd still be playing if he was required as much as Lana is, and for every class too!

Edited by Damask_Rose

Okay, Lana isn't my favorite companion, but I have to stand back in awe at this level of hatred! :D The thought of making all one's characters do what will alienate Lana... rather than simply roleplaying them as per their established personalities... brings new meaning to the phrase "love to hate"! How will you go on when the focus of that animosity is gone? How will you ever roleplay your characters without her around to guide you? :p

It's not about roleplaying, I would go against my characters personalities if such a choice was what made her go away. It's about getting rid of a character that is extremely grating, annoying, insufferable, etc...to me, my real self not whatever character I'm playing. There are definitely characters I "love to hate"such as Solas from Dragon Age: Inquisition but Lana is not one of them, she's like Merrill from DA2 that I just want to throw down a hole and erase from existence. As for what I'll do if we can get rid of her? Rejoice!

What's funny is...

"No fair to kill my fave!"

"Only fair to kill the one I hate!"

All coming from the same people.

Don't kill companions. It's that simple.

One you liked got killed? Oh well. Doesn't mean go out and kill the ones others liked. Nice to know that people hating how it felt to have a companion they liked killed want to push it on others. *eye roll*

I'm just curious if that line of thinking is from twelve year olds.

You're the one saying you don't give a crap if characters people hate are forced on them. You guys got the option to kill the characters you didn't like after all so why should you care about what other people feel or think? As it stands it's unfair and severely slanted towards Lana fans only. Lana haters have both every single character we like killed or taken away and to add insult to injury the character we hate is the only one left and we have so far been not only stuck with her but having to constantly interact with her.

Bioware should care. I don't think the game is healthy enough to drive away players by forcing one or two companions on everyone for years at a time. And that is precisely why the current way they are doing companions is bad. Forcing players to play exclusively with one or two companions ruins the game for them if they happen to hate that companion. In Vanilla there was very little content that required any particular companion. For most it is nothing more than the planet they are recruited on, and even there it is is only part of the time. We were given choices so we could largely ignore companions we don't like. Think about how miserable IoNonSoEVero was made by having a short amount of time with Doc, and Doc is only required for a small fraction of the Knight's class quest. I doubt she'd still be playing if he was required as much as Lana is, and for every class too!

This!

Yes, but in this post you actually illustrated the fundamental difference: I exercise my choice never to play the JK story again. I will be skipping 5.10 on any Republic characters if Doc is unavoidable and will ignore his AA. I am not asking the writers to remove him from the game or kill him to accommodate my dislike.

I am all for more choices as long as they don't impact others. I don't like being forced to run content with pre assigned companions either, but that goes for Senya, Theron and others that have been forced too. And i am sure we are all going to enjoy running 5.10 with Newbie McNew companion with level 1 influence because there isn't anyone else left.

That is the key. It is fine to dislike or hate a character. It is not fine. IMHO to ask that everyone should lose them due to your personal preference. A lost subscription from a Lana fan is worth just as much as one from an anti.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.