Eric...Why is the Galactic Stronghold Forum treated like a runt pup?

Lunafox

Like the title says, why? Why is it kicked off to the corner away from all the other forums and it has no identifying icon or anything. Heck, that forum was alive for months before I ever noticed it existed. It looks like a mistake where it is.

Can you fix it up please and make it part of the neat collection of other forums, complete with a nice icon and everything?

Edited by Lunafox

Who ever was tasked to make a forum icon was probably sent over to help with Anthem. LOL I kid, I kid!

No, but seriously this is supposed to be a triple A product but it's being run like it's amateur hour. You had the money like the NY Yankees but playing like the Farm team for the NY Mets.

Edited by TonyTricicolo

Who ever was tasked to make a forum icon was probably sent over to help with Anthem. LOL I kid, I kid!

No, but seriously this is supposed to be a triple A product but it's being run like it's amateur hour. You had the money like the NY Yankees but playing like the Farm team for the NY Mets.

That would explain the graphics... :eek::D Did I type that aloud? LOL.

Please fix the SH forum. :p

I think the stronghold section absolutely needs to be given an icon and moved out of the bottom corner. It really looks like an after thought. I also think that it would be a productive move for the team to start engaging more with stronghold enthusiasts and get a better beat on what appeals to them and what doesn't before they make another stronghold.

I have no qualms with PvP being added, in fact, I salute the ingenuity of doing so, but I do think it would have been better to start with a planet that wasn't requested by such a broad base of players. Still, I think there's a disconnect between players and the dev team.

For one thing, there seems to be a new habit of creating mock buildings that we can't access and are essentially fillers. To me, this is very aggravating. If a building isn't something we can actually go inside and decorate, don't put it there. It seems deceptive, trying to make it look like there's more to the stronghold without providing actual content. There are other issues I could point out but that's getting off topic and would be better suited to a post in the actual stronghold subsection.

Why does it have to be without the pvp? Why can’t it be both?

While I don't pvp per se (I done it twice in all my years here) I don't have a problem with pvp being in strongholds. I know we are getting Rishi for our guild since some members like to pvp. I see no reason why it can't have both. I love to decorate so I can imagine what I am going to do in the pvp area of the new stronghold. Whether it works well or not remains to be seen and I have to rely on my boyfriend to tell me how good the decorations work in the pvp section.

Like the title says, why? Why is it kicked off to the corner away from all the other forums and it has no identifying icon or anything. Heck, that forum was alive for months before I ever noticed it existed. It looks like a mistake where it is.

Can you fix it up please and make it part of the neat collection of other forums, complete with a nice icon and everything?

Every litter has a "runt" in it though Lunafox. You just happen to be in love with the runt of this litter we call SWTOR. :p

On a more serious note though... they created the forum to give a focused place for players to discuss SHs. It really is on the players to populate it with discussions. That said... the studio is missing an opportunity with the SH forum to actually engage and discuss with players about what is wanted/nont-wanted in the form of SHs. Then again.. the same could be said of every other sub-forum in this forum. This studio uses it's forum more as a "kennel for players" than an actual studio engagement instrument with the player base.

Edited by Andryah

I don't have an issue with the PvP areas being in the strongholds per se, with three caveats:

1. Giving people a way to completely and totally toggle it OFF. They seem to have promised this for the Rishi release.

2. Figuring out how to let people visit others' strongholds without being griefed. Right now if you walk into the PvP zones in someone else's Rishi stronghold, they can close the gates on you and you're attacked. There's already been someone posting that they're planning to do exactly this, and I think it'd be silly to think that others won't try to follow suit and see how many visitors they can kill for lulz.

The obvious answer is to not walk into the PvP areas in others' strongholds, but that takes away from the entire point of visiting and seeing what others have done. They haven't worked this one out yet.

3. Not having the PvP elements be at the expense of the design and the use of the space for non-PvPers. Before one gets their feathers ruffled about that, I wonder how PvPers would feel if the new arena were designed around a romance story, and before every match you had to do a ten minute cut scene.

The strongholds have been one of the areas of the game that people who do not enjoy group activity can still enjoy and look forward to, and switching to a PvP focus, or making that the prevalent factor for the strongholds, is changing that completely.

Every litter has a "runt" in it though Lunafox. You just happen to be in love with the runt of this litter we call SWTOR. :p

On a more serious note though... they created the forum to give a focused place for players to discuss SHs. It really is on the players to populate it with discussions. That said... the studio is missing an opportunity with the SH forum to actually engage and discuss with players about what is wanted/nont-wanted in the form of SHs. Then again.. the same could be said of every other sub-forum in this forum. This studio uses it's forum more as a "kennel for players" than an actual studio engagement instrument with the player base.

I guess I'm a sucker for an underdog. :p

It's not the lack of discussions that bothers me, there are discussions there and if I had more time on my hands, I'd populate it with some more topics or comments. Mostly what bothers me is the physical appearance of it. When you look at the page with all the forums on it, it's the only one without an icon and it's sort of off to one side away from all the other forums, like 'one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong...'

It looks odd and makes my OCD suffer. And to be fair, if it's worthy of a forum, it should be worthy of looking as good and organized as the others. :)

1. Giving people a way to completely and totally toggle it OFF. They seem to have promised this for the Rishi release.

2. Figuring out how to let people visit others' strongholds without being griefed.

The obvious answer is to not walk into the PvP areas in others' strongholds, but that takes away from the entire point of visiting and seeing what others have done. They haven't worked this one out yet.

3. Not having the PvP elements be at the expense of the design and the use of the space for non-PvPers.

The strongholds have been one of the areas of the game that people who do not enjoy group activity can still enjoy and look forward to, and switching to a PvP focus, or making that the prevalent factor for the strongholds, is changing that completely.

This and most of all the last point. I would prefer the disciplines or game aspects be kept separate. I work on strongholds and story to avoid PVP and OPs, as I don't care for either and want no part of it. Strongholds were the last bastion for me to enjoy the game where I don't have to mess about with other people and can do my own thing in peace. I like to open my strongholds to visitors for 'Life Day' and now likely I'll have to keep this one closed to visitors, because I don't feel like a 'Yule Day Massacre' and especially if someone manages to kill me in my own home. This is a no can do.

Like Ion said, I don't insist that there be a love story attached to pvp zones or that you have to kill a massive ogre in order to reach the pvp area. Maybe I should, it'd only be fair...that maybe a character's love interest is stolen away by bad guys and you have to fight your way across to get them back and enjoy the many many uber long lovely cut scenes where you're reunited. Assuming you win. :mad:

Edited by Lunafox

This studio uses it's forum more as a "kennel for players" than an actual studio engagement instrument with the player base.

Right, my biggest gripe about them is this. ^

They have been better the last couple months though. *knocks on wood*

October 14, 2014 -- Galactic Strongholds released.

Maybe Bioware can help celebrate this great update with our very own forum icon!

by the way DuchessKristiana, your SH forum post, Strongholds going Forward, has really lit a fire under me regarding other SH topics that should really be addressed.

we really need an influencer in on this as well. I know Brian with BadFeelingPodcast is always going on about decorations, so maybe they could get involved. I'm not sure if swtorista, kid lee, vullkk, or any of the other streamers would be interested in hosting a discussion like this.

Then maybe we can get Charles and Eric on board, send in questions regarding different things about strongholds like hook placement, increasing the x-y for movement and such.

just a thought.

October 14, 2014 -- Galactic Strongholds released.

Maybe Bioware can help celebrate this great update with our very own forum icon!

by the way DuchessKristiana, your SH forum post, Strongholds going Forward, has really lit a fire under me regarding other SH topics that should really be addressed.

we really need an influencer in on this as well. I know Brian with BadFeelingPodcast is always going on about decorations, so maybe they could get involved. I'm not sure if swtorista, kid lee, vullkk, or any of the other streamers would be interested in hosting a discussion like this.

Then maybe we can get Charles and Eric on board, send in questions regarding different things about strongholds like hook placement, increasing the x-y for movement and such.

just a thought.

I'm so glad it got you inspired. I would love to have a better dialogue with the devs on this topic. I wonder how we could get one of the influencers on board?

THe person who made the Forum Icons probably moved away from EA's Redwood Shores to greener pastures a long time ago.

Look at the difference between the original forum icons, the galactic starfighter icon, and by the time galactic stronghold was implemented, the icon situation had long been surrendered. https://i.imgur.com/qcPfNVO.png

Edited by Falensawino

I'm so glad it got you inspired. I would love to have a better dialogue with the devs on this topic. I wonder how we could get one of the influencers on board?

i sent a tweet to Brian and Chuck at the Bad Feeling Podcast to see what they might be able to do!

• 1 month later...