Nvidia driver 397.31 causing problems for me. Won't launch without a restart.

SaerethDL

Ever since I updated to the new nvidia driver last week 397.31, if I try to start swtor it will not open, and I have to restart my computer then I can get it to launch once.. then it happens again and I have to restart again. I saw someone else was having this issue but wasn't able to locate the thread again.

Ever since I updated to the new nvidia driver last week 397.31, if I try to start swtor it will not open, and I have to restart my computer then I can get it to launch once.. then it happens again and I have to restart again. I saw someone else was having this issue but wasn't able to locate the thread again.

Have you tried rolling back the drivers to previous set?

I just updated to Windows 10 Build 1803 last night and the new drivers this morning, on one of my two computers (my laptop). I used GeForce Experience (which I usually don't) but did a clean install. I ran SWTOR all morning without any issues.

However, in general if I have a problem, I'd run Wagnardmobile's DDU to completely remove any of the drivers. I recommend rebooting to safe mode without networking to run DDU and clean your system of the nVidia stuff, then install the package downloaded directly from nVidia. Just in case, I usually run a re-install of the DirectX 9 end user runtime package (avoid the redistributable, it launches a web installer that will abort when it detects a newer DirectX version.) Finally, I do a complete SWTOR file scan. I use the regular non-streaming non-Bitraider version of the launcher where you go into the settings menu to initiate a repair scan. If you still use the Bitraider version, my recollection is that you could just delete everything in the entire Bitraider folder of your game installation and it would force a repair/rescan.

Lastly, I noticed about a year ago on my desktop that Mumble has to be started AFTER swtor launches and gets to the character select screen, or my client will crash, similar to what you are seeing? The launcher would start, and log me in, but crash to desktop right after hitting PLAY. I wouldn't even get a title splash screen. Ironically, I haven't noticed it on my laptop, and the only major differences are the video card (single 1070 on the laptop, dual SLI 980Tis on the desktop) and sound setup (both mainboard solutions, but different OEMs). I tried removing and reinstalling mumble and all but I still get that issue on my desktop (never on my laptop.) It's not terribly inconvenient to start AFTER swtor so I haven't done much more investigating, but maybe that is your problem?

Anyway, I hope this helps. I haven't yet upgraded to the newest version on my desktop, although I do have the windows 1803 build that I installed last night so I'll watch this thread and perhaps I'll do a complete clean reinstall there.

Good you guys are not having issues, but that doesn't help. I don't want to roll back tbh as I see improvements with this driver. I know 100% this is the case, there is no doubt, there was no other changes or updates to my system.. it only happened right after I updated the nvidia drivers, as it did this guy as well.

Hello,

I recently started playing SWTOR again but I've ran into an issue where the game launches but then closes. I tried to run it in administrator mode and tried compability troubleshooting but to no avail. I'm starting to think it could be the driver NVIDIA just released but after I restarted my computer it was working fine. I don't want to have to restart my computer everytime I want to play though, :(. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

Edited by SaerethDL

Good you guys are not having issues, but that doesn't help. I don't want to roll back tbh as I see improvements with this driver. I know 100% this is the case, there is no doubt, there was no other changes or updates to my system.. it only happened right after I updated the nvidia drivers, as it did this guy as well.

So, I didn't just tell you everything was honky-dory, I went through a whole series of steps for you to try and fix the problem. Did you try any of those steps?

You think nothing else has changed except such and such driver or that seemingly unrelated part of windows got patched. I don't know why half of this stuff happens when you update drivers, or download updates for the game, or whatever, but some piece of data gets corrupted somewhere and it messes with some file. You'd be surprised how many times I've found corrupted SWTOR assets from a seemingly innocuous crash and solved the problem with a repair scan.

Edited by phalczen

So, I didn't just tell you everything was honky-dory, I went through a whole series of steps for you to try and fix the problem. Did you try any of those steps?

You think nothing else has changed except such and such driver or that seemingly unrelated part of windows got patched. I don't know why half of this stuff happens when you update drivers, or download updates for the game, or whatever, but some piece of data gets corrupted somewhere and it messes with some file. You'd be surprised how many times I've found corrupted SWTOR assets from a seemingly innocuous crash and solved the problem with a repair scan.

I hate using DDU because it resets all my geforce experience login/settings and I usually never have complications. But i will give it a try I guess. Thanks for offering advice instead of just saying there is no issue on your side.

At least testing the previous nvidia driver version will confirm it is the video driver

Last time i saw a PC needing to restart after playing swtor once it is was bitdefender blocking the game files and locking the files until a computer reboot.....

Well.... since there are literally thousands and thousands of different hardware/software configurations in circulation... it is a fact that at any given moment, in any given application... you may encounter a driver problem.

You have been offered suggestions to try to help you and you are resisting (at least initially) because you don't want to for some reason. None of us can actually fix your problem.. so you will have to troubleshoot and isolate the root cause and then take steps to fix it. Posting on the forum and not taking advice shared in response does not help you here. :)

In my view.. never let a driver issue get you.. persist until you succeed. :)

Yes, I understand the frustration... and personally I avoid it in most cases by not being an early adopter of newer drivers.... particularly graphics drivers. I'm running on an 18 month old driver right now.. and my performance is fine and I have no issues... so I'm not going to fix something that is not broken.

In your case.. step one would be to roll back the driver and see if that makes the current issue go away. Then you have decisions to make and research to conduct on the internet if you want to revert back to the problem driver.

Edited by Andryah

Problem solved: DDU reinstall did not work, but nvidia came out with a hotfix driver a couple of days ago that fixed my problem. So yes, it was the nvidia driver. Anyone that wants to know, you can download the new hotfix at HERE Until the new drivers hit geforce experience.

Thanks Saereth! I was actually about to post today because I have noticed on my laptop now that it is happening! I decided to check after your thread and could reproduce it twice. Good to know it’s been fixed!

• 2 weeks later...
Problem solved: DDU reinstall did not work, but nvidia came out with a hotfix driver a couple of days ago that fixed my problem. So yes, it was the nvidia driver. Anyone that wants to know, you can download the new hotfix at HERE Until the new drivers hit geforce experience.

nvidia released a WHQL driver version 397.64 on May 9. It supposedly includes the fixes from 397.55 hotfix that, among other things, seemed to fix the swtor bug. Have you had a chance to check out this driver Saereth?

Problem solved: DDU reinstall did not work, but nvidia came out with a hotfix driver a couple of days ago that fixed my problem. So yes, it was the nvidia driver.

What? I thought that, according to nVidia fanboys, that only AMD has driver issues? [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

I have the exact same problem on my laptop: 960m.

I thought it was just me! Thanks for posting this.