First look at the SWTOR 5.9 Nathema by vulkk

commanderwar

I'd really love to see something about the Rakata. They're so interesting, and quite relevant yet so underrepresented.

I don't remember KOTOR that well, but didn't the Rakatan technology cause all the trees on Kashyyyk to grow ten times they size they were?

Edited by pazzakey

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember KOTOR that well, but didn't the Rakatan technology cause all the trees on Kashyyyk to grow ten times they size they were?

The Builder Forge, yep. It malfunctioned ages after losing contact with the Infinite Empire, accelerating the trees' growth.

And definitely a thumbs up for more Rakata references! Always love it when we find out more about ancient civilizations, and there's so much more that could be told about the Rakatans.

The Builder Forge, yep. It malfunctioned ages after losing contact with the Infinite Empire, accelerating the trees' growth.

And definitely a thumbs up for more Rakata references! Always love it when we find out more about ancient civilizations, and there's so much more that could be told about the Rakatans.

Indeed!!

Science mixed in with the force? Maybe something Rakata in origin? They're technology was bound to the force? Maybe there is something on Nathema causing life to return?

Maybe! :)

That would make sense. I just hope that whatever they come up with makes sense. I often wonder what they did or what became of the technology that was pulled off Nar Shadaa, that Revan was using, and that kept all those Rakata alive for so long. The PC gets to take the device, or a 'seed' of it depending on alignment. It would be cool if they readdressed that sometime. :)

Edited by Lunafox

That would make sense. I just hope that whatever they come up with makes sense. I often wonder what they did or what became of the technology that was pulled off Nar Shadaa, that Revan was using, and that kept all those Rakata alive for so long. The PC gets to take the device, or a 'seed' of it depending on alignment. It would be cool if they readdressed that sometime. :)

Wow, it's been a long time since I've play that campaign. Doesn't one of the npcs in that mission tell us Rakata technology is grown? and in one way or another 'alive' ?

:I I mean I guess that gives an idea for how Ziost will eventually reform itself in the next 3000 years. I know this game isn't canon but I was still puzzled by how Ziost would go back to the way it used to look.

That was my first thought as well. Although I'm not sure "the way it used to look" is quite what we end up with from the descriptions in the OT / Legacy eras.

Rather than miraculously coming back to life just because the guy who killed the planet is also dead, I'd hope for it being either sith alchemy or a force illusion. Otherwise, as with the Ziost example, it kind of robs the game of consequence if world-eating destruction can be turned back so easily.

I'm onboard with them doing a Fisher King (reverse-Fisher King?) approach -- IMO killing the Emperor with a real, final death should have some existential effects after he was built up to be such a Cosmic Horror-level entity.

Edited by DarthDymond

Weren't they Ongree? A species we practically know nothing about yet do bear a cousin-like resemblance to the Rakata. That's a whole interesting story right there yes.

The only thing I remember about the seed part is they said a massive amount of time would pass before its powers would manifest.

Edited by silenthc

Weren't they Ongree? A species we practically know nothing about yet do bear a cousin-like resemblance to the Rakata. That's a whole interesting story right there yes.

The only thing I remember about the seed part is they said a massive amount of time would pass before its powers would manifest.

Maybe? I get them mixed up. That's true, but it has been quite a while since our initial trip to NS. Maybe a decade-ish isn't long enough. Or it could be something in the lab on Nathema that accelerated the growth, I dunno, I just hope they have a cool/good explanation for it all. Nathema was a landmark to the Emperor's evil and now it seems a bit diminished that they've brought life to it. It's cool and all, and very pretty, but I'm still trying to decide how I feel about the lore aspect of it all.

It could have something to do with a Force object akin to the obelisk in the Dark Sanctum, perhaps it is another form of life capable of rebirthing the planet in such a manner? Maybe that thing is like a heart of sorts and a big reason for the Gravestone being what it is. Or perhaps all the Adegan crystals taken from Umbara had something to do with this--providing accelerated growth and a strengthened connection between the Force and the planet. Who knows?

I can fully see how the planet may have regained life now its tether to Vitiate has been severed but the fast growth leaves me curious. Some of those trees look decades old and I think, at best, we're about 6-9 months or so post Vitiate's true death?

I do have double feelings on this. Lore wise, Nathema and its death have so much meaning, it's such an integral part of the story and while this rebirth doesn't end that story, it does widdle down on its significance I feel.

Hopefully Bioware will explain. Perhaps Mr. Charles Boyd would favor us with a story-blog before we head into 5.9? I know my character will be standing there like "Uh, okay so before we get to the fighting and killing each other... last time I was here this place was dead. Like, deader than dead so what gives?"

It could have something to do with a Force object akin to the obelisk in the Dark Sanctum, perhaps it is another form of life capable of rebirthing the planet in such a manner? Maybe that thing is like a heart of sorts and a big reason for the Gravestone being what it is. Or perhaps all the Adegan crystals taken from Umbara had something to do with this--providing accelerated growth and a strengthened connection between the Force and the planet. Who knows?

I can fully see how the planet may have regained life now its tether to Vitiate has been severed but the fast growth leaves me curious. Some of those trees look decades old and I think, at best, we're about 6-9 months or so post Vitiate's true death?

I do have double feelings on this. Lore wise, Nathema and its death have so much meaning, it's such an integral part of the story and while this rebirth doesn't end that story, it does widdle down on its significance I feel.

Hopefully Bioware will explain. Perhaps Mr. Charles Boyd would favor us with a story-blog before we head into 5.9? I know my character will be standing there like "Uh, okay so before we get to the fighting and killing each other... last time I was here this place was dead. Like, deader than dead so what gives?"

Well, this is what I was thinking, I'd like to hear/see a very good reason, because in Drew's book, it was described as being completely void of life, nothing was turning that place civilized again, it was as dead as dead can be.

I always thought it was a bit of a stretch that they had those force users on Nathema, and that lab with vegetation and life in it...I just thought the game took away from what was described about Nathema, and it was a landmark and testiment of the Emperor's evil and now it's being 'erased'.

Mostly I'm just curious about the old growth trees and suddenly waterfalls and stuff.

Maybe it was caused when Vaylin destroyed the facility with the force? Or perhaps this area of Nathema was shielded by one of the Vaults?

It's stirred up lots of questions, that's for sure. I suppose the simplest explanation is that it's something in the lab/vaults, but inquiring minds want to know :D

And because of this, I'm curious as to what is happening with Ziost too. Is this phenomenon exclusive to Nathema, or is Ziost experiencing a surge in life too? :D

It's stirred up lots of questions, that's for sure. I suppose the simplest explanation is that it's something in the lab/vaults, but inquiring minds want to know :D

And because of this, I'm curious as to what is happening with Ziost too. Is this phenomenon exclusive to Nathema, or is Ziost experiencing a surge in life too? :D

If Theron has found a way to create life from nothing, then well done, Theron!

If it's an object on Nathema causing this, then I would speculate only Nathema is being effected by this sudden change?

If Theron has found a way to create life from nothing, then well done, Theron!

If it's an object on Nathema causing this, then I would speculate only Nathema is being effected by this sudden change?

Well done indeed Theron :D I do hope they come up with an interesting and logical explanation :D Hopefully a story blog, if it's not explained in the game.

I think Ziost's situation was different. While Vitiate had plans, he ended up kinda pulling the trigger sooner than he'd wanted to in the face of our intervention. By the time we return to the surface of Ziost, there was no warning or sign of any after effects quite like the ones we're told about, and experience, when we visit Nathema. Not that I recall at least.

Meanwhile, Nathema took Vitiate years of careful planning and the actual ritual spanned days, if I recall correctly. Quite different and far more intense than the Ziost situation. I also think that because the very first ritual took place on Nathema, Vitiate and the planet bonded. Perhaps Nathema did not only give him his immortality but sustained it over the millennia. A situation where, for as long as Vitiate lived, Nathema couldn't but now he is truly dead and Nathema is freed. That would explain why Nathema is experiencing a rebirth while Ziost is not, and may not.

During that whole Scorpio/Iokath arc, wasn't the Infinite Engine mentioned in connection to the Eternal Fleet and such? If, Vitiate had stored away a fragment of the Infinite Engine in his vault, I suppose that could be a catalyst for this old world growth on Nathama. It was a shard of this that Revan used to create a fleet during the Civil War.

I don't know if anything was ever mentioned about what happened to this splinter, and not much mentioned at all except that one quest on Nar Shaddaa which was just a seed.

So perhaps it's all tied together with the Infinite Engine somehow.

Did Ziost have much vegetation to begin with? All I recall is snow and rocks :eek:

It wouldn't need that much regrowth. In its few appearances in the EU, It had old growth pine forests, large cougar-like predators, snowy valleys, and secret underground shipyards for Tales of the Jedi era meditation spheres that BW wisely decided back in KOTOR looked too stupid to design models for [yes Virginia, once upon a time BW had some conception of good taste]. It's basically Northern Alberta with cackling sith ghosts.

Edited by Ardrossan

• 4 weeks later...

Bioware!!!!!

You f***ing co*********!!!!!!!!!!!

You have crippled the only sane force in the galaxy!!!!!!!

Now i know how will the merge with empire or republic will happen

you could have had the "grey" force, that could be the start of grey jedi, instead you went on the leash of those good for nothing that cried loud about how bad alliance is

you are worst story visioners ever

guess what those players-they are gone now and not coming back massively

however judging on how things are going it's just another step of 6.0 till maintenance mode

Edited by MichaelIoffe

bioware!!!!!

You f***ing co*********!!!!!!!!!!!

You have crippled the only sane force in the galaxy!!!!!!!

Now i know how will the merge with empire or republic will happen

you could have had the "grey" force, that could be the start of grey jedi, instead you went on the leash of those good for nothing that cried loud about how bad alliance is

you are worst story visioners ever

guess what those players-they are gone now and not coming back massively

however judging on how things are going it's just another step of 6.0 till maintenance mode

© 2011

Can't we just go to Iokath and get some more ships?

We also have ships that have defected from both Empire and Republic and...we did steal the entire treasury of the Eternal Empire, so we can manage really well in long term

Edited by MichaelIoffe