Question about purchasing Artifact ulocks on a F2P toon?

I'm trying to get my bf to come back to the game with me and since he is F2P he cannot ask this but we were both wondering why every time he buys artifact authorization unlock for all his toons, why he has to rebuy it every so often? If it is unlocked should it not stay unlocked? He has called the phone number a few times and they unlocked it for him, but the most recent time they just told him to buy it again. Is this just him or does anyone else have this issue?

I'm trying to get my bf to come back to the game with me and since he is F2P he cannot ask this but we were both wondering why every time he buys artifact authorization unlock for all his toons, why he has to rebuy it every so often? If it is unlocked should it not stay unlocked? He has called the phone number a few times and they unlocked it for him, but the most recent time they just told him to buy it again. Is this just him or does anyone else have this issue?

Is he buying the account unlock? There are 2 different ones. There is the one for character and one for account unlock.

Edited by casirabit

He did sub once in the past or twice, but it still doesn't take.

he bought the account unlock, he has the majority of them and he doesn't not want to sub, just come on, level a bit and rp. But it never stays on his toons, he goes to use a piece of armor and it keeps saying artifact authorization required. It will stick a month or two and suddenly it is gone, like it was never there

Edited by Rain-and-Thunder

He did sub once in the past or twice, but it still doesn't take.

he bought the account unlock, he has the majority of them and he doesn't not want to sub, just come on, level a bit and rp. But it never stays on his toons, he goes to use a piece of armor and it keeps saying artifact authorization required. It will stick a month or two and suddenly it is gone, like it was never there

Seems like a bug with his particular account. My other account which is now preferred doesn’t have this problem.

How long ago did he sub? It might be because of the server mergers and hardware/data centre migration.

Dunno, but since he is F2P he can't post on here to them, nor submit a ticket. I've been having to speak on his behalf. XD

And it has been fixed twice now and still went back

Yea sounds like a bug. You need to explain to customer service that he brought the account unlock and it keeps bugging out. It shouldn't work like that and they shouldn't be telling you to have him repurchase it, since it is an account wide unlock.

I know right, and I'm even more confused too cause someone said if your preferred you auto get it...yet he doesn't have it.

Not sure about that. It has been a little over a year so maybe something changed, but when my friend was playing preferred she didn't auto get it and she had been playing since launch but went preferred and she lost the artifact unlock until the guild got together and brought her an account unlock for artifact. So unless something has changed between then and now you don't get artifact authorization automatically for being preferred.]

https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-free-to-play-vs-preferred-vs-subscriber-guide/

Edited by casirabit

Get him to send an email to support@swtor.com if the email is not sorted correctly make a post at AnswersHQ and can flag Swtor CS to review why it wasn't sorted correctly

Anything you are wearing at the time sub drops that requires artifact authorization you can still wear, but if you want to wear anything else that requires artifact authorization, unlock needs to be purchased (thats my take).

Edited by OwenBrooks

That's the thing he did purchase it, account wide multiple times already, and it always get's taken from him. I'd just like to know why...I mean is it a scheme they are trying to wring more cash from people, or is it a legit glitch. If it is a glitch then why everytime they fix it, does it go back the way it was, saying he doesn't have it?

I know right, and I'm even more confused too cause someone said if your preferred you auto get it...yet he doesn't have it.

Yes, you should ignore that. It's sub ignorance just like the vast majority of sub beliefs about preferred.

If you subscribe for a month you will get artifact unlock only on the characters you had while subbed. If you make any other characters after that, you will need to purchase artifact unlock. Additionally, on the characters you made, you're allowed to keep the existing purple mods or equipment but not add to them, and if you unequip them for whatever reason, you won't be able to re-equip them unless you have the unlock.

He does have it legacy unlocked, (edited useless bit out).

Submit an email as i mentioned in my previous post if he wants this to get looked at, calling CS is fruitless they do not handle ingame issues

What is his swtor username, I can request CS to check if if he owns artifact unlock on that account.

Edited by OwenBrooks

Always listen to Owen :)

Keep pushing on the CS people as, given what you say, this is just not working right.

And to debunk, err "clarify" some previous posts:

A Pref doesn't get/keep artifact unlock on ANY toon (existing or new). The only thing you keep is access to artifact items already bound.

Example: toon A created when F2P. No unlock. You then sub. Toon A gets a purple lightsaber and wears it (binds it). It is unlocked. Toon A buys a purple chestpiece from GTN, but doesn't use it (unbound). Unsubs, now Pref. Can still use the bound lightsaber. But can't use the unbound chestpiece.

But if your bf bought a cartel market "Artifact Equipment Authorization (account)", either by spending the 2700CC, or off GTN. And used it. Then ANY toon existing, or created in the future, should have access to all artifact items. Forever.

There is a bug I discovered after activating Artifact Unlock a month or two ago. Account-wide artifact unlock seems to work for everything except "lower-level" implants and earpieces. Regardless of whether or not I was wearing an item at the time of sub deactivation, all other items showed as previously unlocked after I activated Artifact Unlock. I could use Devoted Allies (level 55 legacy bound) implants and earpieces on all appropriately leveled characters, but not the lower level crafted ones I had on them.

I didn't report this, since it was of no real consequence to me, but it was weird enough that it took me a few minutes to figure out.

I'm subbed again mow, so obviously can't reproduce at the moment.

Edit: Also, there is a bug that I saw reported (and verified while I was pref) in that [sometimes] you have to load into another zone before the unlock takes affect. For example, I had a 55+ char with level 20-something implants/earpiece that didn't unlock, and rezoning didn't change that. I grabbed some Devoted Allies gear and that didn't work until I rezoned.

Edited by eartharioch

his name is Jaareth

Will advise what CS have to say , I am aware if an unlock say was purchased on the GTN prior to the server merge was used after the merge it will not unlock as intended and then appear in the CM claim area.

CS need to fix the unlock, as continually claiming it and consuming should have no effect on the account.

note this is not purchasing an unlock over and over it is the same unlock and is usually gotten off the GTN originally.

Ok Get him to send an email to support@swtor.com and provide swtor username, and mention the artifact unlock issue and CS will be able to respond to this officially.

It is worth checking if the unlock being purchased each time is only the character specific unlock rather then the account wide unlock.

Edited by OwenBrooks

Will advise what CS have to say , I am aware if an unlock say was purchased on the GTN prior to the server merge was used after the merge it will not unlock as intended and then appear in the CM claim area.

CS need to fix the unlock, as continually claiming it and consuming should have no effect on the account.

note this is not purchasing an unlock over and over it is the same unlock and is usually gotten off the GTN originally.

Well, that's what I did...I purchased the unlock off the GTN before the server merges but didn't use it until after the merge. It doesn't seem to drop off, like OP is reporting, but is behaving as I described above. Is this a known issue that can be corrected?

Well, that's what I did...I purchased the unlock off the GTN before the server merges but didn't use it until after the merge. It doesn't seem to drop off, like OP is reporting, but is behaving as I described above. Is this a known issue that can be corrected?

CS believe it is likely the unlock you applied was one of the wonky ones from pre-UF and a ticket should sort it out