Keith's 3/4/2018 Interview with the Bad Feeling Podcast

Kurj

look at the mission Jedi Prisoner, which tied into the Taral V / Maelstrom Prison set of flashpoints. This was non-required 'story' content, given in the form of flashpoints. And they are a couple of the better flashpoints from the original content.

And are you seriously suggesting the next story flashpoint will be on par with Jedi Prisoner? Or perhaps suggesting that Copero was on par with it? It's far more likely the next flashpoint with story will far more resemble Copero than it will Maelstrom. That's well below what any reasonable person would define as "story."

It's no different than Gods From the Machines being subpar to Scum and Villainy or Dread Palace. Absent a significant increase in resources to the game, Copero and Gods from the Machine are the best we can expect. If you're among those who feel that's good enough, then have fun. There's nothing wrong with that. Others disagree.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by your definition, adding one preprogrammed generic npc to fleet every 6 months would keep it out of maintenance mode. You got new content..even if it doesnt talk, move or interact with you in any form, it is new.

My definition of maintenance mode is all production stops, including any bug fixes. The server(s) stay live and the only support is to make sure they are on and working. All other resources are pulled and there is no development team or producer.

Basically a janitor walks past the servers. Checks the lights are on, cleans off some dust and keeps walking.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

You are basically saying, "it doesn't matter how much there was, how good it was, how appropriate for your character it was, you still got something".

Well, by that token everyone got something.

PvP got 8 months of "class balancing". Sure, it wasn't new content, it wasn't done particularly well, a lot of what you asked for was never delivered, some of what was delivered you never asked for, and not all of it was appropriate to PvP - but you still got it.

All The Best

You can try to make class balancing content if you like, but it's pretty ridiculous to go that far to try to make your point.

Story players claiming to they have gotten nothing are incorrect. They got small snippets of insufficient story. It's not nothing even if it's not great or what we all wanted.

You don't play through class balancing. You play the same content that is already in the game after your class is balanced, but it is not new content. It is not something new to do. It is doing the same things you were doing with a different kit. That's like saying that respeccing from a DPS to a Healer on a Scoundrel is new content. Just silly talk.

True, but an entire operation (at least it will be soon), a couple fps, a PvP map, a stronghold, and some story is a bit of a far cry from them tossing another deco on fleet.

but either one keeps the game out of "maintenance mode". Better to use "reduced development mode" or "squeeze any remaining cash mode"

My definition of maintenance mode is all production stops, including any bug fixes. The server(s) stay live and the only support is to make sure they are on and working. All other resources are pulled and there is no development team or producer.

Basically a janitor walks past the servers. Checks the lights are on, cleans off some dust and keeps walking.

any smart business office can get around your definition. Just have the devs program 8 or 10 decos for deployment before you lay them off. Deploy 1 every 6 months, voila! no maintenance mode.

any smart business office can get around your definition. Just have the devs program 8 or 10 decos for deployment before you lay them off. Deploy 1 every 6 months, voila! no maintenance mode.

Yup! Maintenance mode would be trying to "maintain" what you have, not grow it, which is where I feel we're at with this game. I don't believe there's an attempt to attract or add new players, simply maintain what they have as long as they can.

True, but for me, it would still mean the same thing.

I also sort of agree with TUX.

What would that be accomplishing exactly? This hypothetical "smart" business would indeed be keeping its game out of maintenance mode... but so what? If that's all they're releasing, then they're not going to be keeping any more players / subscribers than they would if they were in maintenance mode.

What would that be accomplishing exactly? This hypothetical "smart" business would indeed be keeping its game out of maintenance mode... but so what? If that's all they're releasing, then they're not going to be keeping any more players / subscribers than they would if they were in maintenance mode.

A "smart" business model wouldnt pull devs off of an existing money making game to develop another game. but they did it any way.

A "smart" business model wouldnt pull devs off of an existing money making game to develop another game. but they did it any way.

While on the surface level, I agree with you.... the fact is... all we know is that EA has moved resources around in it's studios to support development of Anthem. We do not know any specifics whatsoever. NONE of us has any specifics with respect to how that has directly impacted SWTOR... all we have is rumor and speculation.

As long as the studio has staff available to meet it's budget and operations objectives, they are being smart from a business perspective. Which in no way implies players will agree or be happy about it... but that is a completely separate line of discussion. But the "maintenance mode" meme is way over used by players these days... and not just for SWTOR. There is no agreed definition... so all this meme does is get discussion after discussion wrapped around an axle of subjective speculation.

Edited by Andryah

I do not see a problem in the emphasis on pvp and the return of the story to Imp vs Resp. I hope that the developers will have the wisdom to split this cake into equal parts. And the players will have enough wisdom to stop whining "Oh my God, they got the content that we do not want to see in the game!":cool:

It's a matter of where BW feels they can get the best return on their investment -- an aging game (this one) in a declining genre (mmo's) or on a new game in a category that appears to be growing where they have no real title. They are a business after all and they don't have unlimited development resources or an open ended timeline to get Anthem to market.

As for factions, the more the merrier. I personally do not care to be Empress or Peacekeeper of bloody Zakuul, let those snobs go back to their business, let Indo take over for all I care or hand it to Senya but I also no longer wish to be Satele's puppet. I'd gladly work with Vowrawn, though, but hey. ;) In any case, choices would be nice. There are plenty players who love their Alliance and while I do not, why even put them in that position and give it to them, only to take it away now without leaving them a choice at all? That would be like deciding for everyone they lose their companions and have to... oh, wait. :rolleyes:

FInally, the voice of reason! We should have the possiblity of staying with the Alliance or leave it and ,for example, BH could join a Mandalorian faction, Sith & Jedi return to their starter planets and take new apprentices, i hope you got the idea.

FInally, the voice of reason! We should have the possiblity of staying with the Alliance or leave it and ,for example, BH could join a Mandalorian faction, Sith & Jedi return to their starter planets and take new apprentices, i hope you got the idea.

That all sounds fantastic, and if they are willing to commit the resources required to do it right, I would be all for it.