Too laggy to move/fight

dmetria

I got onto the game about 9:30pm GMT last night and noticed it was exceptionally laggy. I am playing the Imperial Agent and it was particualrly bad in Nemro's Palace. I had that getting stuck in walls which is so annoying. I fiddled around with my graphics settings which didn't seem to help but I did manage to crash out of the game, my laptop switched off and then blue screened when I booted up again! Thank goodness taking out the battery and doing a hard reset fixed this issue but the game was still slow when I got back in. I noticed my server were "Heavy" at this time and then around Midnight suddenly there was a noticeable improvement and I checked the server and it was down to a status of "Light".

When I play tonight I am going to try switching off Shadows because this seems to have helped a lot of people but I am wondering if this is also related to how busy your server is? I too had no issues in BETA as a lot of people are saying but we are not in BETA anymore.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys should be posting this thread in the customer service forums I believe. Don't quote me on that it just seems like that's the place where you should be looking for help. Although some of the posts here did look quite helpful.

I hope you guys get it straightened out. Good luck.

were a few threads saying the same thing as this one in customer service forum and they get closed by csrs and redirected to this thread.

Buildings!

Never played a game that causes lag, for sure, when entering buildings. I guess it is something to do with how buildings are zones for specific career, there must be a lot going on we don't see when we walk through the green field of magic.

I got the game working just a touch better than it was in beta. Updated ATI graphics card, helped very slightly but still not enough, can't move around in buildings with hitting walls and pointing my pistol at myself which is terrifying when your trigger happy!!!

Get outside and all is, well ok really. I ended up running around shooting the same groups of nastiest for an hour rather than going into buildings. If that is my SWTOR experience forever more, oh no.

I hope the devs have caught on to this issue. It is real, I don't think it should be happening and I want a patch before 20th that fixes it so early play is worth it.

I can't decided which susbcription to keep running until I know what the situation is, STO or SWTOR. Come on DEVS work your magic you can do it :rolleyes:

Buildings!

Never played a game that causes lag, for sure, when entering buildings. I guess it is something to do with how buildings are zones for specific career, there must be a lot going on we don't see when we walk through the green field of magic.

I got the game working just a touch better than it was in beta. Updated ATI graphics card, helped very slightly but still not enough, can't move around in buildings with hitting walls and pointing my pistol at myself which is terrifying when your trigger happy!!!

Get outside and all is, well ok really. I ended up running around shooting the same groups of nastiest for an hour rather than going into buildings. If that is my SWTOR experience forever more, oh no.

I hope the devs have caught on to this issue. It is real, I don't think it should be happening and I want a patch before 20th that fixes it so early play is worth it.

I can't decided which susbcription to keep running until I know what the situation is, STO or SWTOR. Come on DEVS work your magic you can do it :rolleyes:

It's Bioware's way of telling us to get out more :p

Seriously though, I'm experiencing lowish FPS rates on a pretty powerful computer when indoors. Outside everything is smooth, but in a building it starts getting choppy. Playable of course, but mildly annoying.

Also... Why were the custom graphics options reduced from beta to release? I'm pretty sure I could tweak the graphics much more in the stress test... Or is it my imagination :confused:

god those are the absolute minimum specs. BIOWARE HELP US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Bioware should stop misleading people that this game is going to play under there min. spec's and start refunding $ to customers who cant play. Change all the min specs and stop misleading people for a extra 59.99

or

Fix the dang game so people who bought this game because you told them it would be "Playable" under those min specs

Honestly if your computer has a hard time running this game you might just need a new computer or a new GPU.

This games requirements are crazy low. my pc is 2 years old and doubles this games needs.

This games graphics are already bad on high settings for pete's sake.

Honestly if your computer has a hard time running this game you might just need a new computer or a new GPU.

This games requirements are crazy low. my pc is 2 years old and doubles this games needs.

good for you, how ever there are people that far exceed the system reqs that played fine in beta and now cant get more then 5 fps no matter what they do.

To all those still having these issue (not gonna read all pages there...)

I was having same issue. Running a rather old pc (laptop even!) and beta was Ok. Still I logged yesterday and it was almost unplayable but... noticed something.

During beta I had all specs set to minimum as well as it showed now on EGA. Still, I noticed that some textures were too high to be low, so i tried the following:

1) Pick random graphics option and set it to "medium" or "high"

2) click apply. When I clicked, nothing changed. Strange ;o

3) Pick same option but now choose "low"

4) Click apply. Now loading screen showed and boom, lower graphics, better performance

5) repeat with all other graphic options.

Now I can play with my laptop fairly well, I leave you my specs ;)

Core 2 Duo 1.6Ghz

4GB RAM

GeForce 105M 512Mb

Edited by fingolion

I had this issue, 3/4 fps at best and couldnt play.

I fiddled about a bit and changed from windowed to full screen and the high and low options are the wrong way around!!!!!

Got textures and char detail on high and it looks crap (but my fps went up to 40/50)

Hope they patch this fix soon!

Im running an old Sony Vaio with a core2duo 2.13, 4gb ram and a 4750 ati card. I never drop below 15fps and it is very playable even on lower spec laptop.

Not sure where to post this, but here goes.

The game is too laggy to move/fight. Moving/turning to run in a straight line is impossible. Forget actually fighting... Getting the stories/quests work fine.

My graphics are as low as they will go. I played in one of the betas and after reducing my graphics I was able to move around fine. But now that's not even helping. I get 4 bars on the meter, which suggests I should be fine...but not so much.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Tried to update your graphics card drivers? Also turning down shadows does wonders.

Edit: The fix seems to be found by a few posters above me. Good luck!

Edited by stineo

I have almost the exact same system as you except mine is using an Nvidia Geforce 460. I have everything maxed at 1920x1080 and i get 70-80 fps on mine. The one thing I see common to everyones problems is an ATi graphics card or a lousy integrated Intel chip that barley meets the specs. I suspect that ATI has yet another issue with their drivers. I had many issues with ATI cards running games over the years and gave up on them for this very reason. Some people swear by them, but I have never had any luck,

I use a AMD Radeon HD 6770 and I run everything on max settings at 1920x1080 as well and I have no issues. If it still is the ATI cards causing the problems, some were having issues during beta and BW was aware of this, then it might be the lower rated cards. I know my wife and son both are both having issues and they have the lower rated card, 4600 series.

Not sure where to post this, but here goes.

The game is too laggy to move/fight. Moving/turning to run in a straight line is impossible. Forget actually fighting... Getting the stories/quests work fine.

My graphics are as low as they will go. I played in one of the betas and after reducing my graphics I was able to move around fine. But now that's not even helping. I get 4 bars on the meter, which suggests I should be fine...but not so much.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

What is your FPS?

Control Shift F will show you at bottom-right hand side. If that number is low (prolly below 10) then its mostly a CPU or GPU issue

- updated display drivers

- run a defrag

- close all your programs down or run a clean boot. ( try this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796 )

You're so cool. I wish I were like you.

Lots of us have system that double the system requirements and can run the game on max too. Just eventually the framerate starts to drop no matter what we do. It's not our systems.

FPS starts at over 100. Then after 5mins drops to around 80 and stays for most of the time. After 20mins it drops to around 30-40. Soon after the framerate stays like that but the actual gameplay starts having issues, sound tearing, stuttering gameplay.

Edited by Zabonam

good for you, how ever there are people that far exceed the system reqs that played fine in beta and now cant get more then 5 fps no matter what they do.

Yes this is my issue.

My computer plays "Skyrim" just fine which is a leading edge graphically new game but I cannot get above 5-6 FPS on this game.

I have 6 GB RAM, and a new 1 GB Vid card with all updated drivers and this computer is only 1 month old.

BioWare... this is game breaking for a great amount of us.(Mainly ATI or NVIDIA users). I just dont understand how a game with this art style can have so many graphic issues. Unless were all completely off and its something else? More than likely its game side, because these issues are occuring with ppl with high end PC specs... Its very frustrating, I and I know everyone else wants this game to succeed, especially at launch, but this is one major issue that wont let there be a "smooth launch". Rumors are that it could be a memory leak? Maybe its up to our graphic card companies to roll out better drivers? Whatever it is, i hope it gets resolved sooner than later.:mad:

Yesterday I experienced zero lag, was nice and smooth. Today when the server was showing that it was full the movement became erratic, loading times slowed down to a snails pace, only part that seemed unaffected was when watching/listening to NPC's.

Could it be that the servers cannot handle the amount of players on them?.

I have some issues with this, it's mostly when loading a "cell" (for lack of a better word) my frame rate tanks. After a few hours of play there will come a point where this will happen and not resolve it's self making the game unplayable. Having to shut down and start up the game when the server has a wait time is rather annoying.

This sounds a lot like it could be some form of memory leak as changing settings seems to have little to no impact on this. When I'm actually able to play I can play with high texture and character detail with low shadows and shaders perfectly well. Reducing these settings and lowering the rez does not seem to help with the problem.

edit;

specs

Intel duo 2.40ghz

3gb of ram

Geforce 8600m GT 256mb

Edited by HotCod

It sounds like it's your computer. At least that's my initial thought. When I play the game, which I can't right now because I'm at work, but when I do play, I don't ever get lag. not even once so far. So I don't think it's on the server. Unless I just lucked out with a good server and you didn't on a bad server. Edited by Brickabrack

What are you PC specs. The game is lag free.

Sorry see your spec and they on the very low end. The video card is the big issue.

MINIMUM

-------------------------

Windows Vista with SP2

Windows XP with service pack 2

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better

RAM: 1.5 GB or greater (2 GB for Windows Vista or Windows 7)

PCs using built-in graphic chipsets, 2 GB RAM is recommended

Video: ATI X1800 or better

NVIDIA 7800 or better

Intel 4100 or better

256MB minimum video RAM

Shader 3.0 or better fully compatible graphics card

DVD-ROM Drive: 8x speed or faster

Disk Space Required: 20 GB

Edited by Romiz

Everytime I go in or near a building the FPS drops to where it's practically unplayable. This is BS considering it worked fine when I beta tested. It runs smooth as can be when I'm outside though. Isn't that backwards?

In my experience that is a result of shadows. Outdoors there are relatively few shadows being rendered compared to in cities/buildings. Turn your shadows off (or down) and see if that doesn't speed you up. It did for me when I had that issue.