Well, I guess Kotaku gave us their own Producer's Note. SWTOR could Shut Down

ZionHalcyon

https://kotaku.com/bioware-doubles-down-on-anthem-as-pressure-mounts-1822380989

From the article:

"BioWare has also discussed ending development on the multiplayer online game Star Wars: The Old Republic, those sources said, although one person familiar with the studio told me recently that plans are still up in the air."

So not definite, but it looks like if this is being discussed, this is not good news for us.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These kind of articles will only add up as BW Austin remains silent, or delivers skeleton Roadmaps.

TBH, either they announce new expansion now or the 'game shutting down' consensus will spreadout hardcore and 'cause even more players to leave

Edited by Pietrastor

https://kotaku.com/bioware-doubles-down-on-anthem-as-pressure-mounts-1822380989

From the article:

So not definite, but it looks like if this is being discussed, this is not good news for us.

Luckily it's still not decided. Hopefully after Anthem is released we can get some resources back in this game if it's still up and running. That may be why we see the good Cartel Market sales on high demand items so the devs can show a positive cash flow even in times of content drought.

It's that type of publicity Bioware doesn't need, and the freedom of the media leads them to more often than not create more foolishness by design or by accident because they want to publish something like this instead of leaving it be. In addition the person writing the article doesn't name any sources and with that he could be just talking out of the side of his neck without a way of backing it up.

it's like me saying that The new Dragon age game is a prologue according to a source within bioware, through a friend of a friend, who knows someone in Bioware who had a talk with another guy in administration and that lead to the developer mentioning it to this person... you can tell when you got someone stirring the pot for no good reason.

So to that article writer, get to it: produce your source information or keep the BS to yourself until you can actually confirm it.

I also don't just take one source at face value, not with the media, confirm it with other sources first if Bioware is on the verge of calling it quits on SWTOR.

But the game won't be shut down like the OP put in the subject of this thread.

For an MMO, particularly a theme-park one, it's still kind of a 'death' though. We know what small playerbase looks like from dead servers - nonexistant GTN economy, no groups on fleet, finder not working etc. Part of the game will be impossible to experience as more and more leaves without new content.

It's that type of publicity Bioware doesn't need

Well, they're allowing this kind of publicity to happen with no news and talking themselves...

Edited by Pietrastor

If SWTOR is closing, then why are there so many new ( or refurbished..) Cartel Market items? The new OP? Something doesn't add up.

It's not closing. If the life-cycle of any other MMO ever is any guide, it will be a long, long time before this game closes.

What the article claims is that Bioware is so focused on Anthem that there have been internal discussions about ending development on SWTOR, which is very different from shutting SWTOR down.

But you don't need an article to show you that we have gotten drastically less content than we used to. It seems to be confirmed now that we are getting less content because staff has shifted to Anthem.

So be it. I still enjoy the game, but my expectations for future content are even further reduced.

Given where we are with the Winter Roadmap, it seems plausible.

Could be the roadmap will say the same thing, but being delayed until the last moment to sell as many CM packs. After all little intensive in buying a pack if there is no where to use it and who needs credits if there is no where to spend them.

Who would have thought Star Trek Online is healthier than Star Wars the Old Republic.

Well, they're allowing this kind of publicity to happen with no news and talking themselves...

This is the thing, media outlets have outright lied in the past to try drum up a whirlwind that leaves nothing but chaos and destruction. They have a right to tell the truth, not a right to lie no matter how they do it.

If SWTOR is closing, then why are there so many new ( or refurbished..) Cartel Market items? The new OP? Something doesn't add up.

What new OP.. We got a new boss to an OP in the same amount of time that other games released several OPs.. As to what is in the CM could have been all stuff that had been completed but not released..

@OP stuff like this isn't good because if players get any kind of sense that a game is ending they'll just cut and run... Someone other than Eric is going to have to address this and soon.

If SWTOR is closing, then why are there so many new ( or refurbished..) Cartel Market items?

Things are not looking good because so little is in game but the cartel market continues to get updates and if you notice, most of them are refurbished items. It's an easy cash stream to hit and can be done with very limited resources. A focus on the cash shop and so little else is a sign of a greater problem. AKA developing slowing down and thats not a good thing.

The new OP?

It's not a new OPS. It's one boss. Add in that one boss was told to us it would be out last year. In fact. The new OPS you are talking about was supposed to be completed in Dec. of 2017, not carrying over the last two bosses into 2018. The article mentions how bioware main focus is on anthem and now we know why swtor is suffering for content and why content that we were to get in 2017 was pushed to 2018.

None of that looks good.

Something doesn't add up.

Sadly, it's all starting to add up and it puts a very black and negative cloud of SWTOR for 2018. With anthem not coming out till 2019, swtor resources will stay on anthem in the final year of it's development to get released on time and with little to no bugs.

That article doesn't put swtor in a good light at all for 2018 and hints at 2018 being like 2017 and let me just say, thats not a good thing at all to know.

Edited by Quraswren

although one person familiar with the studio told me

I know a guy... Yeahhhh sure you do, buddy. Sounds like olag in the other thread saying he has statistics. All joking aside, though, the trickle down approach to content sure makes the article feel legit.

This is the thing, media outlets have outright lied in the past to try drum up a whirlwind that leaves nothing but chaos and destruction. They have a right to tell the truth, not a right to lie no matter how they do it.

The author of the article has broken BioWare news in the past and has good sources within BioWare. He comes with a solid reputation. Being in denial does no one any good.:(

The author of the article has broken BioWare news in the past and has good sources within BioWare. He comes with a solid reputation. Being in denial does no one any good.:(

Denial? i am asking you to provide more proof, what the heck are you going on about?

It's that type of publicity Bioware doesn't need, and the freedom of the media leads them to more often than not create more foolishness by design or by accident because they want to publish something like this instead of leaving it be. In addition the person writing the article doesn't name any sources and with that he could be just talking out of the side of his neck without a way of backing it up.

it's like me saying that The new Dragon age game is a prologue according to a source within bioware, through a friend of a friend, who knows someone in Bioware who had a talk with another guy in administration and that lead to the developer mentioning it to this person... you can tell when you got someone stirring the pot for no good reason.

So to that article writer, get to it: produce your source information or keep the BS to yourself until you can actually confirm it.

I also don't just take one source at face value, not with the media, confirm it with other sources first if Bioware is on the verge of calling it quits on SWTOR.

We actually agree?! Awesome! :D

Joking aside, things like this "a source familiar with the studio". So they are not in the studio. Not part of the studio. They are not even in the know, but simply the familiar. That just sounds like the kind of thing that could turn a feather into five hens. "A friend of a friend had a cousin, who heard rumors from a colleague, that her husband might have heard this during a meeting."

I know a guy... Yeahhhh sure you do, buddy. Sounds like olag in the other thread saying he has statistics. All joking aside, though, the trickle down approach to content sure makes the article feel legit.

Also, the author of the article broke a lot of the news for the ME:Andromeda debacle and has written other accurate articles about by BioWare as well.