In a few months, we'll all be playing Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2......

alaizon

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I do understand that some characters look the part. But that hardly makes the game Asian. What I think will stand out from the game are it's aesthetics. It's gameplay, mechanics, story and lore, as well as art style go very much in sych with each other to work.

True of course, it's very much a Western game and I hope that the Asian influences don't take over in the final product. BTW... They seem to have some pretty decent facial animations going for them.

Just to add, I don't have anything against Asian-style cartoons and games, I'm not saying they're bad or something, they're just not my style :)

I'll be playing diablo 3, not guild wars tho. The first game was instanced hell.. if the 2nd game is anything like that...god...

I think they've said it's not that heavily instanced for PvE... PvP however takes place exclusively in instances I believe (mists or something, unless I'm very much mistaken)

Edited by archifikoss

Personally i'm done with this whole gear grind mmo model. Give me equal gear from day 1 like GW2 is doing. Let's just pvp and have fun like League of Legends does. This PVe/PVP gear grind business is just stail and boring.

It's the staple of an RPG: Character development. As a result I can see why people don't call GW2 an MMORPG. It's definitely an MMO though. I'm fairly interested in it as well but I'm not font of GW's business model. It means you buy the game, get to max level, see what there is to see and wait 1.5 year for the next expansion. I never thought PvP interesting at all in GW, so I doubt I'll be doing much of that in GW2 unless it has been greatly improved.

IMHO, EA and BW are not in this for the long term. My view is that SWTOR was released to mitigate the loss of the $300m or whatever was pumped into the project, before other new MMOs take over as FOTM.

Look at this post, look at how wrong you are. Nerds + Ecnomics = Hilarity ever single time, you don't know the first thing about BioWare/EA's financial plans.

The MMO industry is a short term thing now. WoW lasted 7 years because it had a head start. Now, the release of MMO after MMO in waves means there will not be a juggernaut like WoW "to rule them all" for 7 years ever again. (in any case, most of the playerbase in WoW is botting anyways)

If you're really dumb enough enough to believe that Blizzard is running a game populated by bots you really aren't worth listening too. Just look at the Glider court case from a while back to see how seriously they take it.

Edited by Korvald

I agree. I thoroughly expect to not see myself playing this game for long.

I mean come on, the game is just out and I'm bored. Rift didn't bore me nearly as fast on launch.

I don't see a bright future for this game.

Well I tried the free 5 day trail for Rift and was bored in 5 days.

Just because you don't like this game doesn't mean it will fail.

Edited by Crash-X

I agree. I thoroughly expect to not see myself playing this game for long.

I mean come on, the game is just out and I'm bored. Rift didn't bore me nearly as fast on launch.

I don't see a bright future for this game.

You are blind then lol. You may not like it but if you cant see how successful this game is going to be and already has been than its most likely because you dont want to see it do well.

No I want. Don't say

"we"

Diablo and GW are not MMO's.

GW and Diablo will die like the other ones in their past.

LOL, Diablo is still active to this day... in fact Diablo will always be active. It never died. GW I would agree with... game is boring and everything in it is soloable.

Those games will do well for 1 Reason. Blizzard and the Diablo Series Fans and the fact that they are both Free2Play... but what does Free2play really mean? It means Micro Transactions.. And Diablo 3 is allowing people to sell items themselves I believe I could be wrong but something about a real money Auction House.

Either way Ill be kicking it here enjoying the game.. This game isnt going anywhere... some people are just dumb and want the game to come out with the content of well I wont say it again because people will start raging... Its been out for what 2 weeks? **** already... I mean give them a chance to improve the game lol.

IMHO, EA and BW are not in this for the long term. My view is that SWTOR was released to mitigate the loss of the $300m or whatever was pumped into the project, before other new MMOs take over as FOTM.

The MMO industry is a short term thing now. WoW lasted 7 years because it had a head start. Now, the release of MMO after MMO in waves means there will not be a juggernaut like WoW "to rule them all" for 7 years ever again. (in any case, most of the playerbase in WoW is botting anyways)

There is no need to wait 6 months to measure the success of SWTOR. By that time there will be Diablo 3 and GW2, and the same debate will start for those games.

Such is the state of the MMO industry.

Why would we be having a debate about Diablo 3's difficulties in the MMO market, when it's not an MMO?

If utter dreck like Star Trek Online can last over a year, TOR will last at least as long as that. It doesnt have to take over from WoW as the most successful MMO, it just has to remain profitable, which it will.

In a few months i may be playing Diablo 3 as well, but i won't be playing Guild Wars 2. The first game didnt appeal, the setting was not to my tastes at all, so i won't be returning for the sequel.

It's the staple of an RPG: Character development. As a result I can see why people don't call GW2 an MMORPG. It's definitely an MMO though. I'm fairly interested in it as well but I'm not font of GW's business model. It means you buy the game, get to max level, see what there is to see and wait 1.5 year for the next expansion. I never thought PvP interesting at all in GW, so I doubt I'll be doing much of that in GW2 unless it has been greatly improved.

I don't consider upgrading my wardrobe every so often character development, but I realize that's just me (which is why I don't like hitting max level)... Still, GW2 seems pretty much the RPG as well. Maybe not as much as TOR, but it still seems to be pretty sound in that department IMO.

A lot of comparison with WOW is unnecessary because

1. The debate whether SWTOR is a WOWKiller is unnecessary. WOW is already a dead game. WOW is full of bots.

WoW isn't even close to death, even with the silly panda expansion coming out. Also, there are no bots. You don't know what you're talking about or you're just trolling.

2. There is no need to wait 6 months (or whatever period) to measure the success of SWTOR. SWTOR is never meant to last as long as WOW in the current MMO industry. EA and BW know that. SWTOR was released to recover some $$$ before the MMO fanbase starts on Diablo 3 and GW2.

Considering how long Galaxies limped on for, this game will be around for awhile. Even if it doesn't deserve the user base. Which, it really doesn't. I'd like to get my money back, honestly.

3. In the current MMO Industry, there will be release after release. There will never be another WOW to command the majority of subscribers, simply because there is more choice now. (In fact, WOW lasted 7 years not because it was really good, but because there wasn’t any competent alternatives.)

Champions Online and Star Trek really set the standard for abandonware for MMOs.

i guess i am saying that every MMO is designed to fail, but only after recovering a certain amount of $$$.

I guess this explains why with Diablo 3, Blizzard appear to be moving towards a different business model involving payment for items on AH

Designed to fail? Not really. I'm sure they honestly expected it to do well, which I'm sure it will do well financially. The game itself though, is mediocre at best.

Stoked for Diablo 3 though.

WoW lasted 7 years because it had a head start.

Head start on what? Plenty of high-budget MMOs have released both before WOW and also after WOW's launch. Everquest 2's release date was only a week away from WOW's. I don't see how WOW's launch time is very significant. And why refer to WOW in past tense. You know it's the number 1 MMO in the world right? That's like saying, "Microsoft lasted until 2011 because..."

Now, the release of MMO after MMO in waves means there will not be a juggernaut like WoW "to rule them all" for 7 years ever again.

Why not? How is the future MMO releases any different than all the other MMOs which have released regularly over the last few years?

(in any case, most of the playerbase in WoW is botting anyways)

Source? No seriously, "Most" would have to be at least 51%. Do you really believe that there are that many millions of people paying 15$ a month to run a program to play WOW for them? Really? no, Really?!?

Because I think... ah crap. I just realized I've successfully been trolled. Darn. You tricked me into thinking a person actually thinks such things. Enjoy your laughs.

Considering how long Galaxies limped on for, this game will be around for awhile. Even if it doesn't deserve the user base. Which, it really doesn't. I'd like to get my money back, honestly.

You are going to tell people if their 15 bucks a month is worth it?

I don't understand. What part of Bellevue, Washington screams Asian? :|

Lol, how could an American company managed to produce a bad game like Guild Wars.

My story with Guild Wars.

Saw it in Game Shop.

Bought it.

Installed it.

Game looked so Asian. (And Booklet)

Shocked with 8 abilities on my Bar. (Great news it's 10 at Guild Wars 2)

Forced myself to play for 2-3 hours.

It was pain, really pain.

Uninstalled.

Wondered if i go to Game Shop, would they pay my money back.

That's all. Never wondered who really made the game etc. because it was the worst game i ever bought. :mad:

Edited by Jieljak

I am pretty sure more more than the half will still play after a month. People are more resilient than some doomsayers think they are. Nevertheless I don't believe in a million subscribers after 6 months either. If 500k will remain they'll have met their lower limit for profitability which is probably also a realistic number.

Other than that:

Diablo 3 will be a success but some of us are not stuck in singlegaming mentality. We are able to play more than one game at a time just as you are capable of buying multiple newspapers/magazines at a time or even having them subscribed.

GW2 I am looking forward to but it will at least be around 1 year away. Maybe 1.5 actually by the looks of it but closer to a year. Again, it will draw alot of players but not all of from everywhere. People display the game as if it'll the best since sliced bread - they'll be disappointed. The hype:reality ratio is much larger than it was for SW:TOR and that one was already large enough.

I have been initially skeptical of SW:TOR - as in I was at the opposite of being hyped. I have never worn these rose-tinted goggles.

I was however in favour of more MMO competition on the market but had my doubts.

So since Beta I am more of the opinion that they have a long road ahead and WoW has a significant lead in most quality of life features. But that's not unexpected. It is natural to want a fluent transition from one game to another and hope you won't have to settle for less but this demand is rarely met in the MMO market.

I am still playing all kinds of game, incl. WoW, people should learn to have a broader horizon. Right now this tunnelvisioned singlegaming mentality is getting absurd.

Real gamers love games for what they are and play what's fun. I for my part look forward to Torchlight 2 a little more than Diablo 3, my WoW subscription will still run for a long while, so will my SW:TOR subscription, I sadly had to cancel my RIFT sub, albeit being a polished game, I just hadn't got the time anymore. Damn these games in my Steam library.

Edited by ArmchairMagpie

I don't consider upgrading my wardrobe every so often character development, but I realize that's just me (which is why I don't like hitting max level)... Still, GW2 seems pretty much the RPG as well. Maybe not as much as TOR, but it still seems to be pretty sound in that department IMO.

I much preferred the times when I would level up every couple days, spend my stat and skill points, and advance my character that way. MMOs went the wrong way with this. Changing wardrobe every several days instead just feels boring, as there's no choice to it. It just keeps getting better and better in all stats.

Edited by Truga

There is no need to wait 6 months to measure the success of SWTOR. By that time there will be Diablo 3 and GW2, and the same debate will start for those games.

Such is the state of the MMO industry.

Well, imho, thw Diablo franchise didnt even warrant a D3, and gw2, which is not an mmo anyway has absolutely no appeal for me. On the other hand, tor rocks my world, and I believe they spent around 120-130m making tor, not 300m . I'll be playing this one for years to come.. Tor is the new "best of genre" mmorpg and imo, will remain so for years to come.

I much preferred the times when I would level up every couple days, spend my stat and skill points, and advance my character that way. MMOs went the wrong way with this. Changing wardrobe just feels boring...

Glad I'm not alone in this... I can understand the reasoning for the system, it just doesn't feel right to me. I like getting loot - but as a supplement to my character and part of its progression rather than it being it's entire progression!

In before "MMOs aren't for you" comments, that's only partially true. End-game is definitely not for me :D

Diablo 3 just looks like Diablo 2 with better graphics + the option to buy items for real money, something that leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. No idea why people are so interested in it. Besides, given the direction Activision has taken Blizzard, I wouldn't be surprised if there were Pandas in it.

Not going to lie though... GW2's gonna get a big look from me. Yet, considering there's no monthly fee for it, I think I'm going to be loving both SWTOR and GW2 at the same time. They won't be in direct competition.

Edited by McVade

I have always liked the grind myself... I like going out killing NPC's coming back crafting for 3 hours, running some instances, PvPing, raiding etc... each of these things are their own little game I guess... I love looking for loot and advancing my character then going to websites and doing theory craft with other people to figure out how to improve my character to get the max out of it for my guild and myself. I love just listening to the story as well. This game has all those things.

You are going to tell people if their 15 bucks a month is worth it?

You guys slowly leveling and playing with friends I'm sure are getting your money's worth for now. The vast majority will play through a couple times and that'll be the end of the game for them.

The people sticking it out for the endgame content will realize how bad the core mechanics of the game are and how broken raid content is currently. The raid content can be fixed, the clunky combat that is part of the game's dated engine will not be fixed.

So, like I said. This game will end up with a small slowly decaying base of users. I really wish I was wrong. I can actually dig the whole Star Wars storyline and Bioware does a great job on that front. It's not enough though.