In a few months, we'll all be playing Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2......

alaizon

IMHO, EA and BW are not in this for the long term. My view is that SWTOR was released to mitigate the loss of the $300m or whatever was pumped into the project, before other new MMOs take over as FOTM.

The MMO industry is a short term thing now. WoW lasted 7 years because it had a head start. Now, the release of MMO after MMO in waves means there will not be a juggernaut like WoW "to rule them all" for 7 years ever again. (in any case, most of the playerbase in WoW is botting anyways)

There is no need to wait 6 months to measure the success of SWTOR. By that time there will be Diablo 3 and GW2, and the same debate will start for those games.

Such is the state of the MMO industry.

Edited by alaizon

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree, for me i was expecting a star wars mmo with huge content like big planets and big space contents and we get this railed and limited leveling, surely lots will quit when another "good game" shows up if not now

at the end this mmo will be like all the others besides the actual "boom" of subscriptions, just a mmo for a small group of ppl who are real fanatic of sw or something

no trolling or anything i think its te truth.

Eh Diablo 3 doesnt look that great...sure its a great story but meh, I just dislike the style in the sky looking down.

GW2...I dont know, by the actions of the GW2 on the forums I dislike them already. As for the game im kinda tired out with the whole medieval fantasy and I also very distasteful with the whole "asian/korean" style vibe I get from it (gnome cat things...really?) plus it has ncsoft on the box. MAYBE if they make a free trial...i'll try but im not holding my breath.

Looks like SWTOR and WoW for me still.

Diablo is not an mmo... and gw2 well... its not an mmo either. So... What exactly are you trying to say?

By the way... dont speak on my behalf cause I starwars has done something I trully appreciate: NO ELVES.

I don't remember any elves in Diablo.

Also, with the way instancing is going in SWTOR, this isn't an MMO either. Most F2P MMOs are the only true MMOs without instancing anymore.

IMHO, EA and BW are not in this for the long term. My view is that SWTOR was released to mitigate the loss of the $300m or whatever was pumped into the project, before other new MMOs take over as FOTM.

The MMO industry is a short term thing now. WoW lasted 7 years because it had a head start. Now, the release of MMO after MMO in waves means there will not be a juggernaut like WoW "to rule them all" for 7 years ever again. (in any case, most of the playerbase in WoW is botting anyways)

There is no need to wait 6 months to measure the success of SWTOR. By that time there will be Diablo 3 and GW2, and the same debate will start for those games.

You might, i wont be buying another MMO game period.

*edit* and Ill still be playing TOR. ;)

Edited by Brool

That's a rather ignorant statement to make. Note, I called the statement ignorant, not the person making it. The definition of ignorant, is the lack of knowledge. And that statement reflects that. I will give you a few reasons as to why.

1. WoW had a headstart. Yet mmo after mmo was being pumped out alongside it's reign. It held strong. Now it's falling. Not because of a rival, because of the game itself.

2. GW2 and Diablo hold nothing new. Many have been waiting on them, many are not. Neither are groundbreakingly innovative.

3. SW has been desired by a huge chunk of it's player base for ages. We have -yearned- for this game. Now we have it. If you ever played galaxies, you'd know how die hard most of us fans are. We'd be here years after EA or BW gave up on it.

Honestly, in the end, who cares? I trust Lucas Arts and BioWare keeping this game interesting for years to come. Why? Because it's profitable to say the least.

If Guild Wars 2 is not an mmorpg than this game is a single player rpg with the occasion multiplayer aspects.

Seriously, the original Guild Wars is not a mmorpg (and was never described as one). Guild Wars 2 is, just because it doesn't have a sub doesn't make it any less of an MMO.

Please people. GW2 is a MMO. I know the first one wasn't a full MMO but GW2 is a full blown MMO. I find it so annoying that people just say it isn't without actually having read anything about it apparently.

It will have a persistent world, it will have a crafting system and you can jump and swim etc. So please, stop talking about a game if you don't have a clue.

I will play D3 and I will play GW2....but here's the thing. Neither of those games have a subscription, so they don't get in the way of me playing SWTOR as well. It may reduce the amount of time I spent in SWTOR, but that's ok.

Oh and then there is ME3...gonna play that too...again no sub, no problem.

You don't speak for me.

Diablo is not an mmo... and gw2 well... its not an mmo either. So... What exactly are you trying to say?

By the way... dont speak on my behalf cause starwars has done something I trully appreciate: NO ELVES.

Actually GW2 is an MMO. It's not going to be instanced like the first game. Do some research before you spew nonsense.

By the way... dont speak on my behalf cause starwars has done something I trully appreciate: NO ELVES.

another thing I appreciate is the serious lack of easter egg colors.

I don't remember any elves in Diablo.

Also, with the way instancing is going in SWTOR, this isn't an MMO either. Most F2P MMOs are the only true MMOs without instancing anymore.

Oh come on... you're smart enough to know I was referring to GW... why give me a counter-argument just for sake of it?

I really wish people would quit saying "All or We or I think I speak for everyone..." You dont .... I have no interest in D3 never have probably never will. GW2 had my interest for awhile until I made some friends who were beta testing it, now it doesn't. SW has delivered on everything I have read so far. Could it be better sure. but what game couldnt be?

2. GW2 and Diablo hold nothing new. Many have been waiting on them, many are not. Neither are groundbreakingly innovative.

You said ignorance was the lack of knowledge. GW2 redefines the MMO genre as we know it.... and yes it is groundbreakingly innovative. Have you played an MMO that even looks like GW2 in any shape or form? No? Yeah, me neither.