The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How are solo players finding the push to group?

Adrian_T

So we're about half way through the qualifying period to get Darth Hexid, and I was wondering what the experience of other solo players has been? Have you grouped up in order to try and get the new companion? If so, how was it?

My girlfriend and I have never grouped with anyone but each other in this game before, but this weekend we gritted our teeth and fired up the group finder. Got False Emperor with 4 x DPS, no tank or heals, and gave up after limping our way past HK-47 with multiple wipes. One guy quit, and I think the rest of us realised that Malgus was going to tear us a new one. So ended our foray into group play. We haven't dared attempt the PvP route so far.

How has it been for others? Was our experience par for the course, or were we just unlucky?

Again I'm interested in hearing about the experiences of other players who do not normally do Flashpoints or Warzones but decided to put themselves out there because of the bonus companion on offer. If you regularly do this content, and just want to come here to point and laugh at the noobs and the introverts, please keep it to yourself. Thanks. :)

Update: We decided to try again. Got Mandalorian Raiders with 2 tanks (1 being me this time) and 2 DPS, still no healer. Wiped on the first boss and the other two players left. We got out 1 healer companion and 1 DPS companion, and finished the FP by ourselves with no more deaths. So much for being social, but hey we are 1/3 of the way to Darth Hexid now.

Update: We got very lucky on our 2nd two attempts, getting Hammer Station both times. First time we actually had a healer (shock! horror!) making for a pretty easy run. Second time was 3 x DPS and 1 x tank. I don't see us becoming regular group players based on this, but hey we managed and should get Darth Hexid now. I also got inspired to try out tanking for the first time, so there's that. Hope the rest of you guys and girls in this thread who haven't gotten the achievement for Hexid yet have managed to. :)

Edited by Adrian_T

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No push to group for me as I can't see the point of yet another companion that I will not use - what's the point of having so many?

I wonder too! As I PvP regularly, I was going to get it anyway. I only frequently use about 4 companions, it would be 2 if Theron and Lana weren't the ones you'd always had to use in story.

Well considering that the Group Recon is also bugged I am not sure it is worth the trouble. I have done a couple of flashpoints-got no credit-even though I was eligible for the daily reward.

Note:

I have already done Umbarra a few million times

I didn't have any other flashpoints on my mission log to keep me from the daily reward. Only missions I have had on my mission log were heroics and dailies.

As far as pvp just not really a fan of pvp and now with the mergers even more so not a fan.

I filed a ticket and they said they know there is a bug and that they will fix it in some patch down the line. Down the line is an interesting comment since this ends the 27th.

Edited by casirabit

Honestly for solo players there's really no point in getting the companion. We have enough as it is and unless you're in a Guild and do Conquest, you don't need the extra companion to do crafting. The ship droids, HK 51/55, any creature companions you may get from CM, and if you've done them in the past you'd have Ranos/Vizla - who can't be taken away - no point in getting another really. Only upside is since it's a reward companion, it can't go away via storyline like so many others.

I won't bother with the frustration of grouping up and doing this content for just another less-than-useful companion.

For the PVP, that's different. 3 quick ones and you're done with it. No matter how much people may hate PVP, doing 3 just to get the reward is worth it.

Edited by NHBabe

I don't want Hexid as a mail prize so I'm not bothering. But I've discovered I actually like grouping in limited doses. I've discovered that it's great with nice people and awful without. So while I'll never join a guild or be grouping regularly, I am fine with it.

I wonder too! As I PvP regularly, I was going to get it anyway. I only frequently use about 4 companions, it would be 2 if Theron and Lana weren't the ones you'd always had to use in story.

I use 8 comps but I craft. I like being able to pick and choose the ones I want to raise in influence personally. More choices are good imo.

No push to group for me as I can't see the point of yet another companion that I will not use - what's the point of having so many?

Honestly for solo players there's really no point in getting the companion. We have enough as it is

Fair point. I guess we just thought it would be nice to have, and a case that you can never have too many, especially for flavor when you have a lot of alts. We recently managed to get HK-51 at last (thank you server merge for there being more people around digging for the components) and he seems cool.

I use 8 comps but I craft. I like being able to pick and choose the ones I want to raise in influence personally. More choices are good imo.

While options aren't necessarily a bad thing, I think there are just too much companions. Companions used to feel special and pretty unique to each class. Now the list is so bloated with useless companions that I find it quite annoying to see. I wish in the next expansion companions would return to their original faction and class, but I doubt that would happen.

But yeah, I don't craft! Each to their own I guess.:)

I did the three PvP-matches. Apologies to those misfortunate enough to have me on their team!

Not only did I get the Odessen-warzone, which I don't understand at all, but after that I got two 4-person arena matches in a row. I was on my Trooper who I've never PvPed on before, so I was less than useless.

But hey, I tried at least. I'm not one to hide in a corner even if I don't know what and how to do PvP.

Fortunately, the teams I were in either didn't notice or didn't care how bad I am at PvP, or simply didn't bother shouting.

Over the years, I've done some WZs every now and then, but not often at all. Sometimes I feel as if I actually manage to help my team, which makes it fun, but other times I feel like a hopeless waste of space. But I've only one single time seen anyone shout any bad stuff in the chat, and even then it was directed at the group as a whole, not me personally.

So to OP, I suggest going the PvP route. The instances popped almost instantly for me, and all three WZs needed for the achievement took me less than thirty minutes to do (but this was because of the Arena-matches. Those don't last long.)

Have fun! :)

The instances popped almost instantly for me, and all three WZs needed for the achievement took me less than thirty minutes to do (but this was because of the Arena-matches. Those don't last long.)

No kidding! Especially if you ended up in the type I got - all 3 WZ's were Arena's, all 3 were 4 DPS my side and the other................ 2 DPS and 2 healers. Didn't take long for my team to die a horrible death. Though we laughed the whole time at how mismatched the teams were. :D

I did the three PvP-matches. Apologies to those misfortunate enough to have me on their team!

Not only did I get the Odessen-warzone, which I don't understand at all, but after that I got two 4-person arena matches in a row. I was on my Trooper who I've never PvPed on before, so I was less than useless.

But hey, I tried at least. I'm not one to hide in a corner even if I don't know what and how to do PvP.

Fortunately, the teams I were in either didn't notice or didn't care how bad I am at PvP, or simply didn't bother shouting.

So you'd say PvP was pretty painless, huh? Interesting. I guess our opinion of PvP has been colored by another MMO we play where shouting, mockery (from your own side as well as the enemy) of less skilled players, and teabagging are rife. Is teabagging even a thing in this game? :confused:

So you'd say PvP was pretty painless, huh? Interesting. I guess our opinion of PvP has been colored by another MMO we play where shouting, mockery (from your own side as well as the enemy) of less skilled players, and teabagging are rife. Is teabagging even a thing in this game? :confused:

Ranked is, IMO, where most of the harassing would happen as too many newbies to PVP are now doing unranked. They aren't gonna yell and shout like the veteran's would, and if the veteran's are any good and smart, they're in ranked anyways. Though some may disagree..........

Ranked is, IMO, where most of the harassing would happen as too many newbies to PVP are now doing unranked. They aren't gonna yell and shout like the veteran's would, and if the veteran's are any good and smart, they're in ranked anyways. Though some may disagree..........

While ranked is fun, I miss the PvP with objectives. I see a lot of veterans on Malgus doing regs, probably because of the same reasons. It has nothing or very little to do with if you're good or not.

What is teebagging ? I do remember that as a teenager on a camping site, a fellow of my group just wanted to throw away his teabag - it landed - still hot ! - on my pullover ... which I couldn't wear for for the rest of the tour. And this was on the first day of the tour !

About the FP thing : I've seen so many bad and good FPs that I just on't care much anymore. One way or the other, we normally finally beat the end boss. I'm almost exclusively doing what's called "Veteran Mode" now, though ...

I vastly prefer to do my FPs with my lower-level characters. That's more fun to me.

Yesterday I got caught by a droid ... But in the end we won the fight. They didn't even say bad things about me almost crashing their fight they had already been into ... Sure, a few of our chars died during the FP ... But why not ? The only REALLY important thing to me is to beat the end boss ... The way to that ... Everything can happen ... Like getting into a traffic jam in RL ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

It's a way of making "creative" use of in-game animations to mock defeated enemies in a vulgar fashion. Not sure if it's a thing in SWTOR though because I don't think there is a crouching emote, or is there?

Doesn't it work with the sit emote? I remember people in WoW doing this year's ago.:o

Edited by Eshvara

While ranked is fun, I miss the PvP with objectives. I see a lot of veterans on Malgus doing regs, probably because of the same reasons. It has nothing or very little to do with if you're good or not.

Right, sorry about that. I forgot that ranked was arena based only. :o

But on that note, I still think the veteran's wouldn't yell much in unranked compared to ranked where they expect you to play well and like it. :cool:

Edited by NHBabe

Yeah. Warzones in this game are usually pretty painless. I have a high threshold for doing them, but sometimes I grit my teeth and hope for the best because of some objective I want, like Darth Hexxid. Most of the time I'm pleasantly surprised at how much easier it is to get them done than I had anticipated. A few times a year I even think to myself that it could be (gasp!) fun to do a WZ or two. :p

As I said, I've only once seen any kind of shouting and/or mockery. It could be because I'm so intent on trying to do something to help my team, of course - I don't have time to read the chat while I'm desperately hammering abilities in an attempt to survive. Teabagging... haven't seen that either, because most of the time everyone else is busy desperately trying to survive, too. Plus when you die in normal WZs, you immediately go back to the respawn point, and when you die in a 4-person arena, the people still alive don't have time to think about it.

If you and your SO have multiple alts, I'd suggest going with characters who can break stuns more than once every blue moon. Being stun-locked is no fun at all. Also, there's livestreams and probably lots of Youtube videos you could watch to get a better idea of the objectives of different WZs. There is a short description on the load-screens for them, but tbh, I find those very difficult to understand. Watching a video beforehand may help with any possible nerves, too.

Still, I tend to prepare mentally for hating every moment and just force myself to get it done. Sometimes, though, it's kinda fun. Really :)

Right, sorry about that. I forgot that ranked was arena based only. :o

But on that note, I still think the veteran's wouldn't yell much in unranked compared to ranked where they expect you to play well and like it. :cool:

I'm not a fan of yelling in game! Doesn't mean I don't get frustrated with bad play, but I don't go off at people. But enough players do I guess!

So we're about half way through the qualifying period to get Darth Hexid, and I was wondering what the experience of other solo players has been? Have you grouped up in order to try and get the new companion? If so, how was it?

)

Quite simply: I am not grouping, I don't care about another comapnion who's just a shell and otherwise am so not interested. I would group if there was something really interesting locked behind the achievement (I am used to grouping from WoW, so am not socio-phobic) but this event has not even made me bother to look up what to do for that companion. I like companions with a story, with interactions, who are someone... not just shells to clutter my UI with.

Over the years, I've done some WZs every now and then, but not often at all. Sometimes I feel as if I actually manage to help my team, which makes it fun, but other times I feel like a hopeless waste of space. But I've only one single time seen anyone shout any bad stuff in the chat, and even then it was directed at the group as a whole, not me personally.

So to OP, I suggest going the PvP route. The instances popped almost instantly for me, and all three WZs needed for the achievement took me less than thirty minutes to do (but this was because of the Arena-matches. Those don't last long.)

Have fun! :)

This exactly - I did a little PVP back for the DvL Event to get Master Ranos as companion but I normally do not play PVP.

I did three warzones on three low level chars (around level 14, right of the starter planet) although it seems I could have simply done it on a single character. But by this at least I got with the pvp introduction quest some relics and implants for my characters.

I got odessen warzone and had no idea what was going on, huttball and death match. In huttball and death match I wasn't really helpful I think, at least trying to heal, but in the warzone I felt I could at least contribute something.

So it was done pretty fast and I must say I actually enjoyed the odessen warzone because I felt I could contribute to the game.

Whoever still needs the achievement for the companion I would really recommend doing the warzones. It is over fast and you can ignore chat if you like - but I never saw an insult or complaint in the chat during the matches. People were just gaming.

I have no intention of getting another companion I don't use, so I'm skipping the group finder thing.

But I did some flashpoints via GF during the Dark vs. Light event, and they were OK.

And I do the occasional warzone, and they're not so bad as well. The one I like best is actually Odessen, because it's way more tactical than the others. Though most of the time it's either Huttball, or a 4v4 arena. *sigh*

So while events may push me to do some groupfinder stuff, and it might actually not be a horrible ordeal, I never become a regular. ;)

I am one that always does GF pugs, MM and vet. It's pretty much all I do anymore on several alts because of Conquest. Seems many here aren't quite answering your question and just saying you don't need the companion. You guys just got unlucky on False Emperor. Actually, Malgus (as long as you interrupt Unlimited Power) is easier than HK. I would totally try again.

I would say in a given night over hmmm 10 of my alts doing GF pugs that 80% of the time I get very nice groups of people.

Are you both level 70? Try veteran mode again. You might get Hammer Station or Athlis. If you do, sadly there's usually always one that runs through those super fast. Let them. Just follow behind and kill what you can. If they quit, pull out your companions and put them on heals. Companions are awesome healers. You and your gf can run most of the vet FPs with just the 2 of you and your comps.

Unless you have a good group, I'd recommend staying away from Depths of Manaan and Umbara. Hopefully they don't pop in the RNG GF. :p

Oh and a last note, I'm not big on pvp or operations but last year during DvL I really wanted 100% completion. So I'd sit on fleet and offer credits for tanks and other players to help me get the operations done. Actually, some of the best players responded. :D So you could try forming the group on fleet before engaging GF. If you're on SS or SF I would so help your guys. Send me a pm and I'll tell you when I'm on.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Zerileth