Server Merger: Thank you Keith and the whole Server team...

denavin

As far as Server Mergers go this one went fairly smoothly. There were minimal problems or errors and the devs were right there watching making sure that they stopped anything before it went to far.

I have been through many server mergers with other games and they are usually a nightmare. Lost items, lost characters, years worth of friends lists gone, achievements wiped out, tons of lost information and lost play time are only a few of the problems I have encountered. As I am sure most of you have as well, have had your share of issues with server mergers.

Though through the years we have come to expect only the worst from EA/BW I have to say THANK YOU for the EXCELLENT job on the merger.

Now I know not everybody's happy or that your experience went smoothly. Unfortunately there will always be some issues. But most (not all) have been mitigated quickly and efficiently.

I don't feel sorry for any of the solo players at all. This needed to happen. Thank you Keith!

Neither do I.

This is a multiplayer game first and foremost and dead servers negatively impacted the game's longevity. In order for this game to maintain a somewhat healthy population it needs to continually attract new or returning players to replace those who inevitably leave for one reason or another. You can't do that if some of those players are creating characters on servers like Prophecy of the Five and thinking the 15 people on Fleet at prime team, a dead GTN and a lack of Ops, PVP, GSF, or other group content was the average across all servers. Players that demanded their single player experience not be interfered with were being selfish.

I never quite understood that argument anyway. Once can also play single player on a crowded server. It's not like joining groups or guilds is mandatory. What's with the obsession with not even seeing other players in the game? Odd, in my opinion. Those people need to switch to a single player RPG like KOTOR if even seeing other players in the game ruins the game for them. This is an MMO. You will see other player characters.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

I on the other hand want to express my gratitude for

a) losing a legacy bay with six armour sets, three pieces of Revan Reborn, three handler licenses, a good number of decorations and some of the more expensive pets

b) getting my legacy renamed for no discernible reason

c) having a character that I can't log into without the game crashing.

Yes, very smooth. Great success, truly.

I on the other hand want to express my gratitude for

a) losing a legacy bay with six armour sets, three pieces of Revan Reborn, three handler licenses, a good number of decorations and some of the more expensive pets

b) getting my legacy renamed for no discernible reason

c) having a character that I can't log into without the game crashing.

Yes, very smooth. Great success, truly.

We'll just add this post to your long line of complaint threads...

Thank you for your opinion, I'm sure it is truly heart felt and sincere...

We'll just add this post to your long line of complaint threads...

Thank you for your opinion, I'm sure it is truly heart felt and sincere...

Why wouldn't it be, I mean everyone would be delighted to lose their items after being told in a dev post that no special precautions were necessary, no? Some people in my guild are practically ecstatic that their raid gear is gone. But I am sure small hitches like that have the topmost priority in things to be fixed.

True, but what my post was was a swipe at those anti-mergers that thought those 5 or 10 solo players subbing to this game were entitled to dead servers. ;)

So how's that server merger working out for your latency and being on the smaller of the US servers. Seems to me I saw a post by you demanding free transfers because Satele Shan was expected to be smaller than Star Forge. I also assume you only had one legacy too, so you probably didn't lose anything (even if temporarily). Just taking a swipe at the pro-merge crowd. :p

Why wouldn't it be, I mean everyone would be delighted to lose their items after being told in a dev post that no special precautions were necessary, no? Some people in my guild are practically ecstatic that their raid gear is gone. But I am sure small hitches like that have the topmost priority in things to be fixed.

I'm not saying that you did not have problems. Server Mergers are a HUGE task that can go bad in so many ways.

You should be able to get everything back that you lost except names that are in conflict, but even that, if you plead your case you might get those back too.

Being so negative all the time will NOT improve your problem. The devs have already said that the items were not gone just and would be addressed in the upcoming patch.

Hey folks,

The team has worked out what is going on. For starters, you do not need to panic, all of your items are actually there, you just can't see them currently. The issue was if a player had a Legacy Cargo Hold on more than one server, one of them could now appear missing. This only happened in rare instances, which is why not everyone was experiencing it. We will have a fix for this in a patch next week.

We apologize for any frustration this has caused, we’ll get you fixed as soon as possible. More updates to come.

-eric

Your gear is NOT lost. It is misplaced. Now if you Do Not get it back then Yes Scream Bloody Murder but until then..... chill!

Adding my kudos for everyone involved, IT is a tricky next level boss with multiple random adds, especially once you start poking servers - well done all, I hope you got some kip afterwards! Edited by Furtled

Damn son. I finally decided to log on and... I didn't lose any of my names! I suppose I'm a vet player, but I still expected to lose a few. I have a lot of basic names without fancy letters.

And while I think this merge is years late, I'm still happy they did it.

Edited by Radzkie

Damn son. I finally decided to log on and... I didn't lose any of my names! I suppose I'm a vet player, but I still expected to lose a few. I have a lot of basic names without fancy letters.

And while I think this merge is years late, I'm still happy they did it.

I didn't lose any either on over 90 characters on the two servers combined (even about 10 that were under level 10 - though I made sure to play them before the merger so they wouldn't get purged). I was quite amazed too but I've been in the game since just after launch and accumulated a lot of play time on many of those characters. The big loss for me though is playability. Losing all of those open slots on the other servers cuts my play horizon from many years to maybe a year at the rate they are advancing now. Hopefully during that year they will add some major replayable story elements (and a level increase) so that I can play more of the maxed out characters. I've done the operations and flashpoints so many times that they are totally boring and not worth running anymore except to help guildies get gear. The new ones don't add anything new and having now played all of the bosses released so far for the new OPs, I don't see anything worth repeating there either - maybe one run when it is all complete to see how it fits together but that's about it.

Been through three forced mergers on this game. Lost less names this time than the previous two (wither time).

My only complaint is that the purge seemed to have left anciently dormant accounts untouched.

I had a name prior to the first round of forced mergers that now says "name" does not exist. It was not a prohibited nor canon name - yet remains unavailable to me.

It should have been:

12 months unsubbed - wide open to purge. Period. If they have been gone that long, they are NOT contributing to the game and should be subject to purge for active players.

Edited by ekwalizer

Been through three forced mergers on this game. Lost less names this time than the previous two (wither time).

My only complaint is that the purge seemed to have left anciently dormant accounts untouched.

I had a name prior to the first round of forced mergers that now says "name" does not exist. It was not a prohibited nor canon name - yet remains unavailable to me.

It should have been:

12 months unsubbed - wide open to purge. Period. If they have been gone that long, they are NOT contributing to the game and should be subject to purge for active players.

This is the only game I have ever played that does name purges. I have characters on other game server that have been there for years. Some I log into some I do not. Many have been in existence for over 10 years and nobody every wanted to purge any names. Most even tell you that your name WILL NEVER BE DELETED.

Though I have never had any problem with server mergers since all of my characters have very unique names, so I never have any conflicts when games do server mergers. The same can be said here, out of 15 characters I did not loose a single name or possession. As a matter of fact there was no difference logging in other than the name of the server changed.

Again I say, Well Done guys.....