Performance in PVP

cagthehack

I have:

GeForce GTX 1080

i7-4770 @ 3.40 Ghz

16GB RAM

And the game in running on a SSD.

More than meets the game's requirements. I usually run the game on Ultra quality. But during PVP, even running the game at Very Low (graphic setting), it's like moving through mud. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I can barely keep my targets.

If the fight is 1 vs 1, it's fine. But add a couple of more players and it comes falling down. And yet, in a SH, filled with players all dealing, there are no issue at Ultra setting.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Your processor is the bottleneck.

You can try to overclock but since you have a non-K model this will be difficult.

Also, swtor like high frequency memory with tight timings.

My config :

i7-6800K @ 4.50Ghz

4x8GB @ 3200Mhz

GTX 1080 Ti

the game is on my M.2 NVMe SSD.

And my min. fps in wz is 40 at ultra settings/1080p

Edited by betaku

You can try to overclock but since you have a non-K model this will be difficult.

My config :

i7-6800K @ 4.50Ghz

4x8GB @ 3200Mhz

GTX 1080 Ti

Thanks for the reply.

My monitor is 144Mhz. But that doesn't make sense. I doubt most of the player base has the latest processors. Also the game requirements are no where near it. Even in Very Low setting I have issues. is that all because of my CPU? I should point out, I do not have this issue at all in WOW.

Thanks for the reply.

My monitor is 144Mhz. But that doesn't make sense. I doubt most of the player base has the latest processors. Also the game requirements are no where near it. Even in Very Low setting I have issues. is that all because of my CPU? I should point out, I do not have this issue at all in WOW.

The game requirements were largely under evalued when released for the first time. They are using an Alpha version of HeroEngine that they modified heavily, hence this game isn't stable in any way, because it is running on a half made graphic engine since the first day :rolleyes:

Edited by supertimtaf

The game requirements were largely under evalued when released for the first time. They are using an Alpha version of HeroEngine that they modified heavily, hence this game isn't stable in any way, because it is running on a half made graphic engine since the first day :rolleyes:

So does most of the player base have issues in PVP? What's odd, is that it depends on which PVP WZ; Huttball,

and Odessen aren't as bad as the others.

And as I said, playing WOW, even in AV (40 -vs- 40) I do not have these issues at all. I guess it must be the game engine. *sigh*

Thanks for the info.

My config :

i7-6800K @ 4.50Ghz

4x8GB @ 3200Mhz

GTX 1080 Ti

Their Processor is fine.., it’s more than adequate as long as they have shadows and bloom turned off

So does most of the player base have issues in PVP? What's odd, is that it depends on which PVP WZ; Huttball,

And as I said, playing WOW, even in AV (40 -vs- 40) I do not have these issues at all. I guess it must be the game engine. *sigh*

Thanks for the info.

We all have issues with the game in pvp... lots of bugs and lag... it’s not your system... here are some things that can help...

First... do a bit of trouble shooting to see if anything improves or worsens the performance...

Turn off shadows if you have them on... reduce the quality of the trees and grass down to about 20%... turn off bloom... make sure your other settings are about low-medium... check the performance... if it’s better... then slowly increase the settings till you see the performance drop... then take one step back and you will have found the sweet spot...

If you see no difference with that... it’s something causing it outside of the game... most likely some app/program that Windows has running in the back ground...

If you don’t optimise Windows 10 and turn off things... it can affect the game for some people... even some security software can cause issues... ie, I use Norton and it can cause some small lag problems... but it also has a silent mode you can use when playing and it stops that from happening...

Do a little bit of research (google) on how to optimise win 10 for gaming and also what Windows feature you can turn off automatic start if you aren’t using them...

Lastly... your CPU is a great one for OCing... it’s not that hard and if you get yourself a good all in one cpu watercooler.. you can OC it to about 4.0ghz for every day use...

Swtor really does perform better at 4ghz plus... I’ve tested in on OC CPUs for that last 6 years... from a i7 920.. i7 3770k... i7 4770k... i7 4790k ... i7 5770k... when they are all clocked at 4ghz they perform basically the same...

It's your CPU, man. I have i7 4770k and played at 3.5 ghz and it was, pretty much, like you said. I overclocked with MSI's OC Genie in bios because manual OC didn't really work out for me. Although recently I managed to overclock my GPU and i'll try to get my CPU higher manually again.

Anyway, jumping to 4 ghz from 3.5 ghz made a very noticable difference!

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

It's your CPU, man. I have i7 4770k and played at 3.5 ghz and it was, pretty much, like you said. I overclocked with MSI's OC Genie in bios because manual OC didn't really work out for me. Although recently I managed to overclock my GPU and i'll try to get my CPU higher manually again.

Anyway, jumping to 4 ghz from 3.5 ghz made a very noticable difference!

Using software to OC is ok if it’s a small OC... but they will always cause more heat and you will run the risk of damaging your system...

The best thing to do Alec if you need some extra info is to search YouTube for your motherboard OC settings and watch a tutorial

Using software to OC is ok if it’s a small OC... but they will always cause more heat and you will run the risk of damaging your system...

The best thing to do Alec if you need some extra info is to search YouTube for your motherboard OC settings and watch a tutorial

Monitoring my temps and CPU is below 60 degrees during demanding games. Even tho it is haswell. I made sure my cooling is really good. I'll do manual OC soon, I was rather discouraged after first few failed attempts which kept turning my computer off xD

But MSI OC genie is pretty good.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

i7-4770 @ 3.40 Ghz.

SWTOR is very CPU intensive, especially in PvP and OPs. However, an i7-4770 should be able to get at least 30 fps and be playable in those instances.

Check your BIOS/UEFI (or an app like CPU-Z) to make sure your CPU is actually running at the correct frequency. If it's not, reset the BIOS or "Load Defaults" to fix it. (Loading defaults would also correct any bad RAM timings as well.)

Make sure you don't have too many background tasks stealing CPU cycles. Given that the i7 is 4 cores and 8 threads, and SWTOR only uses 1 or 2 cores, that shouldn't be a problem, but....

Make sure you have Shadows turned down in the graphics settings, even when running in Low Detail settings.

Or, upgrade to a new i7-8700(K). :)

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, a lot of peoples will have issues on player-heavy content, like 16man Operation, some warzone who are either badly optimized (quesh huttball) or have a lot of aoe spam (engineering sniper/healer merc).

Keep in mind that the shadows are horrible for smooth performance (and they continue to add more features for that >_> ). Bloom isn't that bad though, you can very well do fine with it. I would recommend lowering the anti-aliasing, do not use it on high, it's mostly a waste and will drain your ressources like crazy.

And yeah, the game engine is terrible for this game.

I have:

GeForce GTX 1080

i7-4770 @ 3.40 Ghz

16GB RAM

More than meets the game's requirements. I usually run the game on Ultra quality. But during PVP, even running the game at Very Low (graphic setting), it's like moving through mud. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I can barely keep my targets.

If the fight is 1 vs 1, it's fine. But add a couple of more players and it comes falling down. And yet, in a SH, filled with players all dealing, there are no issue at Ultra setting.

Adding what others have said, this game is more CPU dependent than GPU. However, I've run the game smoothly (and I mostly PvP) with a similar CPU (actually less - and it was a laptop). I've pointed out elsewhere that the server merges appear to be having an effect on the game - above, and in addition to, lag. I'm seeing delayed server response times that appear to be independent of lag - and this is affecting PvP, fleet, and the like - but also even more minor things.

On the harby fleet last night for example, I basically "hopscotched" my way from one side to the other. About 100 ppl on. And my ping was ~70s. I have a beast of a rig and setup. It resolved eventually but this only started happening post server migration - though I will say it's about 5x better than it was immediately after the move when the game was nearly unplayable at time.

I know this isn't "advice" but I want to point it out so that you don't beat your head against the wall troubleshooting, if in fact it's not your rig...

3770k 4.4ghz h100i cooling

1080 ti hybrid cooling

No bottleneck.

I am playing AC Origins 1200p maxed on my desktop (my laptop is 4k but I don't really see much difference aside from code being sharp) with 60-70 fps in cities while 7700k and 1080ti get around the same.

Your CPU would be fine if you can OC it assuming its a 'k' version.

This game I run maxed and its fine, just 2048 shadows instead of 4096 because I dont see a difference. And I just log on to pvp nowdays.

For your CPU - cycles matter most as long as your CPU architecture isnt a decade old nowdays and is an i7. I'm really not sure what intel is doing but it isnt impressive. For your computer - Your GPU matters more and I wouldn't recommend their latest gem a hex core 8700k. A quad core might've tempted me but not thst because older games and some newer wouldnt take advantage of that.

Edited by RACATW

On Windows 10 I had a lag/stuttering problem pop up on me a couple weeks ago. To fix it I had to:

Find the swtor.exe (not the shortcut).

Right-click, Properties | Compatibility => Disable Full Screen Optimizations

That fixed me.

Another trick that some people swear by is to manually install DirectX 9.

I have:

GeForce GTX 1080

i7-4770 @ 3.40 Ghz

16GB RAM

What's your internet connection? And do you have have a SSD?

There are other factors at play. Let's not downplay them with all the CPU talk. Remember the RAMdisks people used create for the DiskCacheArena file?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3780131

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I have 50MB Fiber. So my net connection is not the issue.

I'm gonna try a few things suggested in this thread. Thanks.

What I do not get is I have no issues in other games. WOW, EVE - are all fine (well - except for battles that have more than 600 ships involved... but I would expect that).

I've been playing Shadows of War at ultra settings with no issues. So it must be a game/config issue.

I am considering a new gaming rig though.

Thanks again.

Or I could just dump my Shadow and roll a range class.

What I do not get is I have no issues in other games. WOW, EVE - are all fine (well - except for battles that have more than 600 ships involved... but I would expect that).

I've been playing Shadows of War at ultra settings with no issues. So it must be a game/config issue.

Thanks again.

Honestly, it's totally normal. Like I said earlier, the graphic engine for this game is an abomination that shouldn't even exist. :p

Try running with only one leg, and you'd get the same result at their engine trying to process this game correctly :rak_03:

Other games are way better optimized than this one, so it's completely normal to have them run better.

The issue is more about the dev team, who isn't able or don't have the ressource to improve the graphic engine/switch to a better one.

As a side note, Shadow is one of the class that doesn't affect performance or whatever, you'd have much bigger issues on a sniper, a merc or especially a sorcerer, who are pretty flashy. :p

You won't have a "perfect" graphic settings in Ops or PvP on this game, since from the start it cannot run perfectly at all. You can do what peoples have said earlier on this topic to try to improve things a bit, but you'll never have the "perfect and smooth" game with swtor. :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Yeah... other games don’t use a customised alpha game engine...

This game engine has been the Achilles heel for this game since launch

I have:

GeForce GTX 1080

i7-4770 @ 3.40 Ghz

16GB RAM

Have you looked at this thread?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=914325

I followed some suggestions given in this thread, and that other one. While questing I can keep the game at Ultra. But PVP, I reset to medium, turn off shadows, details (etc) and it's ok. Not great but useable. My Trooper (Vanguard) is doing better than my Shadow.. but probably due to range (I have an issue keeping targets with my shadow in a crowded field - but I think that's more my eyes than anything else).

Thanks for all your help.