West Coast Ping Time

Lxndra

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11.14am in Austin TX and still zero response to this major topic... at last count we had 6 threads going and hundreds of posts...

But Keith and Eric are suspiciously quiet...

My ping is slightly worse today than yesterday, with more lag spikes. I think they're way too busy trying to make things worse. That way, when they go back to the horrible ping we had yesterday, they can say "hey - we reduced it to only triple your original ping instead of quadruple! Doesn't it play better than quadruple! Aren't you happy?"

My ping is slightly worse today than yesterday, with more lag spikes. I think they're way too busy trying to make things worse. That way, when they go back to the horrible ping we had yesterday, they can say "hey - we reduced it to only triple your original ping instead of quadruple! Doesn't it play better than quadruple! Aren't you happy?"

...That actually sounds legit.

Geezus lol...if that didn't sound quite so conceivable, it would be funny...but that is EXACTLY the type of manipulative crap I expect from them now.

Hahaha. Sounds about right for a Bio MO.

I fully believe what you just said will happen. Thats why we got the underhanded server change told to gamers at the last second. That change wasn't something that just happens by chance. bioware has been planning the removal of the west coast servers for a while.

I expect they have planned the move for a year or more. You don't move data centers, stand up a new environment, have internet bandwidth set up and ready to turn on all in a week or two. I expect this planning started when 5.o dropped and players bailed out en masse.

By doing so, they will already be prepped for a megaserver for everyone in NA come next year as population continues to decline.

They will call it a mega server, but the current population could probably run fine on the old BC hardware, all by itself.

They are already planning it, which to me means they already know whats coming next year for the most part and it's slim enough to predict a continued drop in numbers even if it's slowed at times.

Anyone who stands back and honestly looks at the population in the game and the trends it has shown knows the game is circling the drain and has been for a while. It's sad, but that's how it is. For a personal example my raid group was running three nights a week, now we are officially down to two and have only managed one of the last three planned nights. I don't believe we are the only group having those issues. So, I am playing ESO five nights or more a week and looking to get into raiding there. Other people I know left for WoW starting when 4.0 dropped. Others went to GW2 and I know some at least looked at FFXIV (I did, too, but it's just too anime for me.) Try some of the starter areas in other games and ask if people used to play SWTOR. The answers there will give you some idea of the loss of players here. At Christmas last year, most of the chat in the ESO starter areas was about how unhappy people were with SWTOR and that they had left and were trying new games.

Just for thought, ESO has sold 3 million copies in the last 2 years or so. How has SWTOR done at the same time? What's the difference on how the games are managed and supported? How do the business models differ and what looks better to players? Then look at other games and ask the same questions. If BW did that, they might understand where they've gone wrong and how they might fix it if they really wanted to.

• 5 months later...

Been about 6 months since the merge and the ping is still bad. Last night was having to play with ping in the 300s and 400s. I think that 6 months quite a reasonable time to wait for this to be "smoothed out," which obviously has not happened.

How about you folks at Bio-ware just move back into your California office and make Satele Shan west coast again? That would fix all the problems that people are discussing here.

Now that I have suggested the obvious fix I await the heroes of EA to come and defend it with the classic "oh but what about the moneys?" Such cost. Much expense.

Grats on cherry-picking one night of lag, which I had too on the West Coast. If you're an APAC player, you are totally justified in complaining.

My partner and I are bi-coastal, spending roughly six months on each coast of the USA. Ping for us in the Washington, DC area averages 28; ping for us on West Coast is 82 average.

Necro-ing and picking extreme outliers doesn't advance your argument.

TL-DR: Hyperbole = fail.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

We are APAC so you yes you are right you have no idea how much we suffer.

Actually, I do know how much you suffer, particularly in PvP. I've played games at the pings you are talking about. PvE is playable, PvP not so much -- in fact, not at all.

With that said, you're a bit late to the party. We've known APAC players got the shaft a long time ago. I dinged you because your post made it sound like a new situation. I had unstable pings last night, but I'm currently in West Coast USA. I thought you were bringing new information to the table.

I know that sucks. (That's not sarcasm.) My point, and I apologize, is that I assumed you were a West Coast USA player -- frankly, it's not so bad for us. But, yes, I acknowledge openly it sucks for anyone in the APAC region.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

I am also an APAC player, and my lag in general has declined from 257 to 317 in recent weeks. I am also seeing lag spikes (but not actually as many as we used to when the Harby Hamsters took a break) and random game crashes (which are new for me).

I was surprised when we first moved to Satele Shan that my lag was as good as 257, and every game aspect was playable - even PvP. Now that I am sitting on 317, it will be become much harder to enjoy.

Hopefully this is a temporary degradation of the connection, and it would be good to hear from the BW team that they continue to look at the quality of the connections into their server farm.

cheers all

PS In trying to post this reply, I received an error message that the host server could not be reached - talk about internet irony! :p