Arcann romance appreciation thread! Haters keep out please!❤

Eshvara

This is a common misconception. The Sith existed both as a species and as an Order long before Tenebre's birth. As Vitiate he had the longest influence over the Sith Order, however, (again abig however. At is core the Order focuses on individualism above all else. No one Sith can claim to have the definitive interpretation of any Sith techniques. (Palpatine and Bane claimed to...)

Basically, what I am saying is this... A Sith may read a tome of Tulak Horde, and apply it in a totally different way than a fellow student. Whereas the Jedi don't do that.

I've read all of the Old Republic material out there and I do have the impression that the ancient Sith order (as depicted in the graphic novels particularly) is quite different from the practices during Vitiate's reign. Just like the ancient Je'daii from the prehistoric era are only loosely like the Jedi Order. But of course you're right that the Sith code and techniques can be interpreted in different ways and some of those might be helpful to Arcann. I do like the idea that he could turn his passionate feelings into something positive/constructive rather than use them for destruction.

It's interesting that one of Arcann's favourite gifts in the game are Imperial Memorabilia. Could that indicate that Sith culture and teachings are of interest/speak to him? Or do you think he just wants to know more about his father's other empire?

Honestly, the Comps gifts are so bugged and screwy (4X Likes courting gifts) I ignore them. Arcann's negative emotions have centered around his father, and to an extent himself. Redirecting that passion into a healthier for of expression is vital for his ongoing well-being.

For example, my Warrior (He's independent now so doesn't view himself as 'Sith') channels a lot of hate. What does he hate? Injustice, cruelty, waste, (of lives and or resources) selfishness, greed, stupidity, incompetency, corruption, dishonor, lies, and slavery. Now this is a lot of hate, but by keeping his hatred confined to the actions of others and not the people themselves, he's able to use this hatred as a tool rather than going off the deep-end and being consumed by darkness.

If Arcann can take all that rage, guilt, fear, and hate and use it to hate concepts and actions, rather than internalizing. He'll have more strength to fight the darkness.

Honestly, the Comps gifts are so bugged and screwy (4X Likes courting gifts) I ignore them. Arcann's negative emotions have centered around his father, and to an extent himself. Redirecting that passion into a healthier for of expression is vital for his ongoing well-being.

For example, my Warrior (He's independent now so doesn't view himself as 'Sith') channels a lot of hate. What does he hate? Injustice, cruelty, waste, (of lives and or resources) selfishness, greed, stupidity, incompetency, corruption, dishonor, lies, and slavery. Now this is a lot of hate, but by keeping his hatred confined to the actions of others and not the people themselves, he's able to use this hatred as a tool rather than going off the deep-end and being consumed by darkness.

If Arcann can take all that rage, guilt, fear, and hate and use it to hate concepts and actions, rather than internalizing. He'll have more strength to fight the darkness.

I do see what you're saying and I agree that channelling all those negative emotions outwards is certainly better than internalising them. Having said that, I'm still not convinced it's precisely healthy to project guilt or hatred onto something external, rather than learning to let those emotions go or transform them into different emotions entirely. I feel that Sith teachings will always focus on nursing violent and destructive emotions (such as hatred) while Jedi teachings would allow him to distance himself from them and eventually relinquish them. I think Arcann's passion, seriousness and tendency to take everything very much to heart is both his strength and weakness. Because of that, I think that learning to take a more distanced, impersonal (and Jedi-like) approach would benefit him.

Of course, not everything can be dealt with by letting go. A healthy way that I imagine for him to sublimate some of those emotions would be through creation (such as the armour piece he makes for us).

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think a purely 'Jedi' take is going to work. The Jedi like the Sith, are severely limited by their codes and dogma, especially when it comes to dealing with FS people not trained in the Order from birth with a traumatic history. <cough>Anakin<cough> Push comes to shove, Thexan, Arcann, and Vaylin, would never be able to attain the ideal serenity the Jedi Code strives for.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think a purely 'Jedi' take is going to work. The Jedi like the Sith, are severely limited by their codes and dogma, especially when it comes to dealing with FS people not trained in the Order from birth with a traumatic history. <cough>Anakin<cough> Push comes to shove, Thexan, Arcann, and Vaylin, would never be able to attain the ideal serenity the Jedi Code strives for.

Agreed! I don't think he could ever actually become a Jedi - or that he'd want to. At most he could learn some coping strategies :)

I love this thread so much!!

Here is the video that I just published. I made it over the past few months as a tribute to SWTOR's first ten years! It isn't Arcann-centric, but I did put as much of him in there as possible ;)

Charles Boyd likes it <3

Now we just need 10 more years of Arcann story and content ;)

Here is the video that I just published. I made it over the past few months as a tribute to SWTOR's first ten years! It isn't Arcann-centric, but I did put as much of him in there as possible ;)

Charles Boyd likes it <3

It's SOOOO good!! :eek: I'm beyond impressed with your editing skills. Just like your last video, the transitions are super smooth and the music is just spot on! And you showed remarkable restraint regarding Arcann :D Seriously, his appearances in it are perfect and just the right amount, I think. And Senya has so many cool moments!

Edited by witchglove

Charles Boyd likes it <3

OMG what an amazing video, I love it! Got goose bumps watching it. Please don't stop doing videos!

Alright, I'm doing it! I'm putting the first couple of chapters of my Arcann/JK epic on A03, even though that's really scary for me! :p I'm witchglove there as well, if you're interested :) I'll put a direct link on the Discord. It really puts the S in Slowburn though, so it's many, many chapters of angst before there's any fluff :D They're actually both little kids in my very first chapters.

Thank you! I am definitely going to read it, already bookmarked it, but it might take me a while. To be honest, I am a little unpatient person but if the fluff comes later it feels more worthwile and like a reward after all the angst before. So don't worry about that ;)

Glad to see that there is so much going on here, this is awesome, but not that easy for me to catch up :)

You all have so great ideas, there isn't really much left for me to say. Other than more Arcann is always appreciated and for what could have been done or being done better there is always head canon and fanfiction :)

Thank you! I am definitely going to read it, already bookmarked it, but it might take me a while. To be honest, I am a little unpatient person but if the fluff comes later it feels more worthwile and like a reward after all the angst before. So don't worry about that ;)

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the bookmark and your interest in it :) It is intended to be a pretty massive multi-chapter work and starts shortly after Ziost, so the fluff really is a looong way down the line. But I mean to spend the chapters until then building up the tension between the characters and also just writing about Arcann in all those moments that we don't see in game. I wanted to write a real enemies-to-lovers story and I often find that people kind of fast-forward past the enemies part. I hope to avoid that! The lovers part is so much sweeter if you wallow in the pain first ;)

If they don't let us give him more customizations soon I'm gonna get touchy. I am tired of him being stuck in the same armor. Besides his arm could use fine tuning it always looks like it will cut my JC's skin.

Me too! It's really about time. I know their reason is that his model is tricky, but I don't know... I have sources who work with 3D modelling who tell me that it can definitely be done.

I would hate for them to change his body type, though. Body type 2 (isn't that the "average" male one - the one that's not the skinnest, the heaviest or the insanely tall and muscular one?) is closest, but it has way less bulk than Arcann. It wouldn't look right to me. And yes, that arm could cause some damage.

We talked about this a little on the Discord, but I'd love to hear what people here think as well: Do you think his cybernetic arm is detachable? Do you think he takes it off for sleeping, showering, etc.? Or do you imagine it would require special tools to remove it for repairs etc.?

Edited by witchglove

Cybernetics in SW's have always been tricky. Luke had no problems with getting his hand wet, ditto with Anakin and the arm, so I'd say bathing, swimming, rainfall, isn't a problem. The powercell(s) have to be protected but that's automaically done. Palpatine deliberately gave Vader a torture suit. So we can't assume anything based on his experiences.

If the arm is damaged yeah I'm sure he has a tool-kit on him to make repairs. He might not be the most situationally aware guy in combat, but he's not stupid. I don't think he's the type to take it on and off. That seems too 'fussy' to me. He doesn't mention any discomfort with it. All in all, I think he tries to ignore it as much s possible unless it comes handy in a fight.

Still I think its way past time for a massive upgrade. Between Oggurobb, Tharan Cedrax, (if JC) Lokin, Elara, and Doc, (if JK) he should be able to get a perfect arm.

It's SOOOO good!! :eek: I'm beyond impressed with your editing skills. Just like your last video, the transitions are super smooth and the music is just spot on! And you showed remarkable restraint regarding Arcann :D Seriously, his appearances in it are perfect and just the right amount, I think. And Senya has so many cool moments!

I showed MAJOR restraint, let me tell you. As the music progressed past Ziost, Makeb, SoR, I knew what was coming next ;) - Arcann time! I also wanted to make sure to showcase more redeemed Arcann clips in there because I want any new players that see it to realize how amazing he is and that he's worth saving (AND SENYA!!). Speaking of Senya, how awesome is she?! I adore Senya so dang much. So many good action sequences for her <3

I was THIS close to putting Zenith in there, one of my favorite characters. I definitely restrained myself on many fronts :D

Thanks again for all of the support.

As I mentioned in Discord, I'm setting aside some time this weekend to read your Arcann fic, Witchglove. The anticipation is killing me. I'm dying for a slow burn featuring my favorite character!!

Edited by Siita
language adjustment

OMG what an amazing video, I love it! Got goose bumps watching it. Please don't stop doing videos!

Gah! I adore you so much! Thanks for all of the kind words <3 I'm thinking of maybe doing something for Senya next. Hmmm...

If they don't let us give him more customizations soon I'm gonna get touchy. I am tired of him being stuck in the same armor. Besides his arm could use fine tuning it always looks like it will cut my JC's skin.

^Omg, ikr, it's pushing me to the brink waiting soooo ungodly long, it's like: just let Arcann put on any outfit he wants (remodel if necessary), he's too popular (Arcann > all of the rest of the companions combined).

Edited by Willjb

So if we could dress Arcann in any outfit what would you put him in?

I'd like to put him in something casual as well. I'd like to be able to head-canon that he's travelling around with my JK without wanting to be recognised all the time, so a very plain and unobtrusive robe or tunic would serve that purpose well. Possibly something with a large hood that could hide his scars (don't get me wrong; I want to see his face, but it would suit that head-canon purpose).

As for prettier and unique outfits, I'd like variations of his existing outfit. Something a bit more low-key, like what he wears as a child in the Sacrifice trailer. Personally, this is my hope: that they just make a few new models for him, using the same body and basic outfit, but with variations. That way it'll still look like him and not like he suddenly lost a ton of weight and muscle (if they do change his model to Body Type 2 I'll have to imagine that he's been ill or something - but I won't be happy about it).

What I would absolutely HATE more than never being able to change his outfit at all would be the ability to put him in absolutely anything (like other companions). I know I might be alone in this, but think about it: Do you really want to see him running around on the Fleet in a swimming suit? It already irks me to see characters like Nadia or Lana who would never wear something so skimpy in public running around in a dancer's outfit or a bikini... It just doesn't do them justice.

Have you all seen those sketches of his earliest designs? There are some interesting outfit ideas there (if a bit flamboyant for my taste).

https://imgur.com/a/sgMa1r9

https://imgur.com/trssTqn

Unfortunately to be fair it would have to be open to anything. I hate the naked outfits too but it is fair. The resilient warden's armor is really nice too.

Then I'd be campaigning against. Partly because I don't see that it can be done with his own body type, but mainly because of the horror show it's going to result in. I can already see him running around in a pink-dyed body-suit (and not in a good way).

If it were possible without those drawbacks, I'd love to see him in both Carrick's armor and The Resilient Warden armor. A plain Zakuul Knight armour would be nice, too. I'd be all for those ones getting done as reskins, like the Light/Dark token ones.

Edited by witchglove

I'd 100% love to get some more Arcann customizations! That would be absolutely wonderful! I don't really see the devs opening Arcann up to wearing just any outfit, however. Arcann is essentially a body type 2.5 and I believe they'd have to make some big changes for things to work correctly. I really like that he has a unique body - it makes him special.

To be very honest, I am probably in the minority here when I say that I personally would not want him to be able to wear just anything anyway. I know for a fact that most of my friends would dress him up in the most degrading, awful things just because they know that I adore him so much. I know they troll me a lot and I can take a joke, but seeing Arcanns in the ceremonial gearset with a chef or Karagga bell hat around fleet and before every raid etc would be sickening and sad for me, to say the least.

I'd personally prefer that the devs simply release more customizations for Arcann. I don't want players to be limited in the things that they can choose and customize in the game, but Arcann is a hard "please don't" /beg when it comes to companion space barbie. For me, I'd much rather be limited in what I see Arcann in than to have the character 'humiliated' (and you KNOW he would - people are truly nasty) via space barbie designs. I respect the character way too much. Again, I'm likely the odd one out here. Oh well.

Edited by Siita
grammar

Then I'd be campaigning against. Partly because I don't see that it can be done with his own body type, but mainly because of the horror show it's going to result in. I can already see him running around in a pink-dyed body-suit (and not in a good way).

You and me both. I concur.

Arcann is my favorite character and I respect him too much. I'd personally rather go without ANY customizations then rather see him degraded 24/7 on fleet. That's just me though.