Arcann romance appreciation thread! Haters keep out please!❤

Eshvara

I'm going to add my two credits as someone who's not too crazy about Arcann--hate me for it if you will.

Arcann may have been a strong ruler and royalty but that does not mean he is a confident man at all. People in his position often wear two faces--one for the general crowd that usually displays confidence and strength, and a different one entirely in private. In fact, I would say his romance alert goes to show he has a rather sensitive and insecure side as well.

For the biggest part of the story, he wears his mask, especially in public. Now, one could choose to show their scars as a sign of "I went through something and survived so you'd best think twice about messing with me", or those scars can be something leading to insecurity about physical appeal in which case people tend to hide them, as Arcann has for a long time. In case of the latter, I don't see him revealing his face and the injuries to his body to just anyone. Definitely not for the sake of a brief stint of passion without anything further involved.

On top of that, being the Prince/Emperor, I think Arcann is quite aware of the fact most people would bed him for the sake of status. Not for him, not for the man and person he is, not due to attraction but because of his royal status. (You know, bed the Emperor often enough and perhaps you'll one day end up as his consort, or reap any other benefits). He could opt to take advantage of that, of course, but it could also be a reason to avoid such interactions altogether.

Then there's also the abandonment aspects. The lifelong rejections of his father, the fact Senya left them, losing Thexan (and perhaps thinking his brother had turned on him in defense of their father regardless of what WE believe) and Vaylin turning on him. He hasn't exactly grown up with the belief he is 'worth' sticking around for, that he's worth being cared about and I don't see him open up easily. Again, especially not when there's a huge risk that the person you're with (a Knight, some Zakuulan socialite) is only with you because of WHAT you are not WHO you are.

Alas, all the above to say that he has plenty reason for still being a virgin and none that would discredit him or make him a failure of a man. Which is a ridiculous notion to begin with--neither a man or a woman, regardless of their status and place in the world, should ever be considered a 'failure' simply for still being a virgin at a certain age. A person's worth should never be judged by those measures, it's archaic and asinine.

Now whether he is a virgin? He could be, there are plenty reasons he could have waited. It could also well be that he did take advantage of the attention he garnered being Emperor to have his own needs satisfied, even if it was only ever a case of lust. Love and lust aren't the same thing, they can be separate and while I find it unlikely he's ever really found love prior to meeting the Outlander, it's not unthinkable he's caved to lust and cravings over the years.

Sorry for sticking my nose in, I know this is a place for Arcann lovers and I'm not quite a lover. I do have him featured in my fiction however since I'm covering KOTFE and I refuse to downplay his presence and swat him like a fly just because I'm not exactly a fan of his so I've been putting a lot of thought into him recently--including the question of virginity and relationships and all those things we didn't get to see in-game. Peace.

Hey, thank you for your input! I must say I am impressed that you are putting so much thought in him as a character you don't like. I am not a writer but I guess it isn't easy to spend time thinking and writing about characters that you don't like or find boring or even hate? But it sounds as if you are trying to write him as a believable character - I mean I like to read fan fiction but sometimes the NPCs in these stories feel more or less out of character (at least in my opinion) compared to what we see in game. I would love to read your fanfiction if you don't mind and have it somewhere accessible.

I agree that he might be a virgin or not - for me it isn't important. I think he might have had some encounter during his younger years before fighting in the war. But as you said - he might had reasons to not get intimate with others.

During the fight on Odessen I think the Outlander touches him briefly and he really gets furious about it and even shouts that he shouldn't touch him. But this might only be because he really hates the Outlander and his father so maybe it is just that and not that he don't like touching at all.

During the fight on Odessen I think the Outlander touches him briefly and he really gets furious about it and even shouts that he shouldn't touch him. But this might only be because he really hates the Outlander and his father so maybe it is just that and not that he don't like touching at all.

That's during the fight on Asylum ^^

Well, there can be mamy explanations :

- maybe he doesn't like people he doesn't know touching him (well, that'd be kinda like me, that's really something I hate)

- maybe that's because it's the Oulander / daddy

- maybe that's because the Outlander being able to touch him felt like a moment of weakness

And I'm pretty sure there can be more I haven't thought of.

That's during the fight on Asylum ^^

Well, there can be mamy explanations :

- maybe he doesn't like people he doesn't know touching him (well, that'd be kinda like me, that's really something I hate)

- maybe that's because it's the Oulander / daddy

- maybe that's because the Outlander being able to touch him felt like a moment of weakness

And I'm pretty sure there can be more I haven't thought of.

Yes, right sorry - it was indeed Asylum. Got it mixed up :)

As you said there are a lot of explanations. He just says it in such a hateful way - I am always a little bit surprised when I hear it.

I would really like to know how he survived falling from the platform at the end of the fight. I know he is a powerful force user but this was quite high - I don't think the typical Sith or Jedi would survive it.

Hey, thank you for your input! I must say I am impressed that you are putting so much thought in him as a character you don't like. I am not a writer but I guess it isn't easy to spend time thinking and writing about characters that you don't like or find boring or even hate? But it sounds as if you are trying to write him as a believable character - I mean I like to read fan fiction but sometimes the NPCs in these stories feel more or less out of character (at least in my opinion) compared to what we see in game. I would love to read your fanfiction if you don't mind and have it somewhere accessible.

I agree that he might be a virgin or not - for me it isn't important. I think he might have had some encounter during his younger years before fighting in the war. But as you said - he might had reasons to not get intimate with others.

Thank you, and everyone else for their positive responses. :)

I believe you cannot voice a character if you do not explore them. If you fail to figure out what makes them tick and with Arcann there is a lot, too much that we do not see in-game. For the first and bigger half of the expansion, we mostly see him on his throne while he and his sister huff and puff about the Outlander and their father, and he hands out a few asinine orders. It's not until mid-way/the latter half of KOTET that we glimpse another side of him which is a terrible shame--whether I like him or not, he had a lot more potential than what we were given in the end. They could have, for instance, placed him elsewhere in the Spire during one of the briefings. Perhaps he finds some peace of mind in painting, or on occasion wanders those fields he and Thexan played in as children (as shown in one of the cinematics). They could have added just a mere two seconds more to animate his face and show contemplation, doubt about which course of action to take, that there is more behind it than just "rah rah my dad and the Outlander suck!", imho.

Anyway, for the sake of fiction I had to ask a lot of 'why' and figure it out for myself. The hatred for his father and by extension the Outlander is clear but I don't feel it is enough. Something has to go deeper than that because evil isn't born, it's made. I've downplayed Vaylin's role quite a bit (she's a different case entirely and a bucket of constant crazy doesn't translate well in story and grows old fast) but I didn't feel right doing the same for Arcann. There is more to him. I think he has his demons and a temper, and I think Thexan was the ying to his yang, the balance against Arcann's impulsiveness. A twin bond broken leaving Arcann in a terrible place and lost in ways, which is easily hidden by giving into anger.

The story is on the forum in the Fan Fiction section, Defying Destiny, but it is a story centering my Jedi Knight and a sequel. It takes place during the time of KOTFE/ET but I have taken a lot of leeway as I couldn't stomach to rehash the in-game Chapters and deal with all the recruitment. I've left elements out, added ones of my own, shuffled things etc. but Arcann is one of those situations I couldn't, and didn't want to get away from. He hasn't had much presence in the story yet, he's only just now starting to make regular appearances and will for a while until I move on to the next segment. You're free to check it out but while he is featured currently, it isn't an Arcann story by any means. I suspect he'll be around for about 10'ish chapters including the two recent ones.

As for touch I think his reaction is a combination of it being us, the Outlander and by extension, his father, but also just not being used to it anymore. He lost his arm and half his face and not long after, his twin brother. Senya was already gone by then and, unless you imagine he may have been sharing a bed with whoever, I don't think he has had much physical interaction with others since that time. No caring hand on his shoulder, no one really reaching out to him at all so being touched has just become a strange and unusual sensation. It could even be self-protection as touch means to connect, a step beyond being strangers and adversaries, and at that point he can't afford to see the Outlander as anything other than his enemy. He can't afford to see us as just another human being, not with his father in the mix.

I'm going to add my two credits as someone who's not too crazy about Arcann--hate me for it if you will.

Arcann may have been a strong ruler and royalty but that does not mean he is a confident man at all. People in his position often wear two faces--one for the general crowd that usually displays confidence and strength, and a different one entirely in private. In fact, I would say his romance alert goes to show he has a rather sensitive and insecure side as well.

For the biggest part of the story, he wears his mask, especially in public. Now, one could choose to show their scars as a sign of "I went through something and survived so you'd best think twice about messing with me", or those scars can be something leading to insecurity about physical appeal in which case people tend to hide them, as Arcann has for a long time. In case of the latter, I don't see him revealing his face and the injuries to his body to just anyone. Definitely not for the sake of a brief stint of passion without anything further involved.

On top of that, being the Prince/Emperor, I think Arcann is quite aware of the fact most people would bed him for the sake of status. Not for him, not for the man and person he is, not due to attraction but because of his royal status. (You know, bed the Emperor often enough and perhaps you'll one day end up as his consort, or reap any other benefits). He could opt to take advantage of that, of course, but it could also be a reason to avoid such interactions altogether.

Then there's also the abandonment aspects. The lifelong rejections of his father, the fact Senya left them, losing Thexan (and perhaps thinking his brother had turned on him in defense of their father regardless of what WE believe) and Vaylin turning on him. He hasn't exactly grown up with the belief he is 'worth' sticking around for, that he's worth being cared about and I don't see him open up easily. Again, especially not when there's a huge risk that the person you're with (a Knight, some Zakuulan socialite) is only with you because of WHAT you are not WHO you are.

Alas, all the above to say that he has plenty reason for still being a virgin and none that would discredit him or make him a failure of a man. Which is a ridiculous notion to begin with--neither a man or a woman, regardless of their status and place in the world, should ever be considered a 'failure' simply for still being a virgin at a certain age. A person's worth should never be judged by those measures, it's archaic and asinine.

Now whether he is a virgin? He could be, there are plenty reasons he could have waited. It could also well be that he did take advantage of the attention he garnered being Emperor to have his own needs satisfied, even if it was only ever a case of lust. Love and lust aren't the same thing, they can be separate and while I find it unlikely he's ever really found love prior to meeting the Outlander, it's not unthinkable he's caved to lust and cravings over the years.

Sorry for sticking my nose in, I know this is a place for Arcann lovers and I'm not quite a lover. I do have him featured in my fiction however since I'm covering KOTFE and I refuse to downplay his presence and swat him like a fly just because I'm not exactly a fan of his so I've been putting a lot of thought into him recently--including the question of virginity and relationships and all those things we didn't get to see in-game. Peace.

This I like a lot.

--

I was about to go to sleep and dropping in. I realized I drop a conversational bomb earlier. I thought we've already talked about it out before... oh well...

Its still possible for Arcann to be a demi, who isn't attracted to everyone except to someone important to him. He does said he was filled with hatred for everyone else including the PC until he was cleansed by the Voss ritual. I doubt he was capable to feel much for anyone except obsessing about destroying his father...

There's really nothing wrong for a grown adult to be a virgin... especially someone who was obviously traumatized. I don't see Arcann capable of showing any signs of vulnerability while still under Valkorion's toxic influences... who would have berated him over and over for being a weakling failure. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised he berated Arcann for being scarred up and losing an arm to the Sith of all people. Valkorion is walking "trigger warning" menace.

--

hmm... random thing just now.

me : "I hope we can bring Arcann to Nathema instead of Lana"

and sudden random internet person : "NO! I don't want those two. I want choice but anyone other than those two! I want to RP lightside Arcann being in a jail cell!"...... ....

....... ..... people are intentionally giving me migraines.

This I like a lot.

--

I was about to go to sleep and dropping in. I realized I drop a conversational bomb earlier. I thought we've already talked about it out before... oh well...

Its still possible for Arcann to be a demi, who isn't attracted to everyone except to someone important to him. He does said he was filled with hatred for everyone else including the PC until he was cleansed by the Voss ritual. I doubt he was capable to feel much for anyone except obsessing about destroying his father...

There's really nothing wrong for a grown adult to be a virgin... especially someone who was obviously traumatized. I don't see Arcann capable of showing any signs of vulnerability while still under Valkorion's toxic influences... who would have berated him over and over for being a weakling failure. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised he berated Arcann for being scarred up and losing an arm to the Sith of all people. Valkorion is walking "trigger warning" menace.

--

hmm... random thing just now.

me : "I hope we can bring Arcann to Nathema instead of Lana"

and sudden random internet person : "NO! I don't want those two. I want choice but anyone other than those two! I want to RP lightside Arcann being in a jail cell!"...... ....

....... ..... people are intentionally giving me migraines.

Somebody on Twitter said the same thing, I hope we get to take Arcann too!

Hey, Dusk :). Long time no see!

Hey :):o yeah got sick, then got busy. Real life ick. But in good news I'm currently playing through Hoth :D -Whispers- The glacier is moooving !

It's gonna be a while before my will roll is high enough to tackle that posts backlog :o

Edited by DuskIsNotAmused

Thank you, and everyone else for their positive responses. :)

I believe you cannot voice a character if you do not explore them. If you fail to figure out what makes them tick and with Arcann there is a lot, too much that we do not see in-game. For the first and bigger half of the expansion, we mostly see him on his throne while he and his sister huff and puff about the Outlander and their father, and he hands out a few asinine orders. It's not until mid-way/the latter half of KOTET that we glimpse another side of him which is a terrible shame--whether I like him or not, he had a lot more potential than what we were given in the end. They could have, for instance, placed him elsewhere in the Spire during one of the briefings. Perhaps he finds some peace of mind in painting, or on occasion wanders those fields he and Thexan played in as children (as shown in one of the cinematics). They could have added just a mere two seconds more to animate his face and show contemplation, doubt about which course of action to take, that there is more behind it than just "rah rah my dad and the Outlander suck!", imho.

Anyway, for the sake of fiction I had to ask a lot of 'why' and figure it out for myself. The hatred for his father and by extension the Outlander is clear but I don't feel it is enough. Something has to go deeper than that because evil isn't born, it's made. I've downplayed Vaylin's role quite a bit (she's a different case entirely and a bucket of constant crazy doesn't translate well in story and grows old fast) but I didn't feel right doing the same for Arcann. There is more to him. I think he has his demons and a temper, and I think Thexan was the ying to his yang, the balance against Arcann's impulsiveness. A twin bond broken leaving Arcann in a terrible place and lost in ways, which is easily hidden by giving into anger.

The story is on the forum in the Fan Fiction section, Defying Destiny, but it is a story centering my Jedi Knight and a sequel. It takes place during the time of KOTFE/ET but I have taken a lot of leeway as I couldn't stomach to rehash the in-game Chapters and deal with all the recruitment. I've left elements out, added ones of my own, shuffled things etc. but Arcann is one of those situations I couldn't, and didn't want to get away from. He hasn't had much presence in the story yet, he's only just now starting to make regular appearances and will for a while until I move on to the next segment. You're free to check it out but while he is featured currently, it isn't an Arcann story by any means. I suspect he'll be around for about 10'ish chapters including the two recent ones.

As for touch I think his reaction is a combination of it being us, the Outlander and by extension, his father, but also just not being used to it anymore. He lost his arm and half his face and not long after, his twin brother. Senya was already gone by then and, unless you imagine he may have been sharing a bed with whoever, I don't think he has had much physical interaction with others since that time. No caring hand on his shoulder, no one really reaching out to him at all so being touched has just become a strange and unusual sensation. It could even be self-protection as touch means to connect, a step beyond being strangers and adversaries, and at that point he can't afford to see the Outlander as anything other than his enemy. He can't afford to see us as just another human being, not with his father in the mix.

Well the question is how much the writers had fleshed him out - not just that he suffered under Valkorion but about hobbies or interests and so on. We only have the trailers and some codex information. Maybe they planned to show more as they thought they had more time but then we all know they had to try to wrap the story together.

I always wonder if they all lived in the palace where we are in chapter 6 of kotet (at Vaylins Party) or if everyone had a palace of their own? If they had often parties (with or without arena fights? Duel rings/arena fights seem to be popular on Zakuul). So many questions. Well I guess for that we have fan fiction :)

What you describe about what I mentioned with the touching on Asylum (not Odessen sorry) is very well thought, thank you! I think when he holds Thexan in his arms in the trailer before he gets saved by Senya later is the last time we see him touch someone. I really like how they show when you recruite him the interaction between him and Senya - how they are holding hands and care for each other. Senya left when they were just children and Valkorion ignored them and wasn't a caring father figure. So no hugs or affection from parent side and then Vaylin was taken away, that must have been hard on the children too.

And regading your fan fiction: thank you, I will check it out, doesn't matter how much Arcann is in it. I like that you are really putting thought into the characters.

Different question: was Senya married to Valkorion? I got the impression they were just together without marriage. But in chapter 9 of kotet she calls him husband - so I guess they were married and she just kept her name? Do they even have marriage on Zakuul? I guess Valkorion doesn't even have a family name? Of is Tirall maybe the family name?

Does anyone actually think we'd get to take Arcann? I mean now that Nathema no longer seems what it used to be, he should be able to have the confidence to go to it again?

I think he would accompany us now that Nathema starts to heal. Maybe we can have him as a companion running around with us if we are not forced to have a single companion (likely Lana) with us but I don't think we get any dialog from him.

I think it'll be Lana again.

Well she does have a score to settle with sir Theron, but I mean from a different perspective.🎅

I think he would accompany us now that Nathema starts to heal. Maybe we can have him as a companion running around with us if we are not forced to have a single companion (likely Lana) with us but I don't think we get any dialog from him.

Yeah, could be something like that. :)

Edited by Eshvara

Well she does have a score to settle with sir Theron, but I mean from a different perspective.🎅

Might even be that we meet Theron at the beginning and are running around with him on Nathema. Or we just reunite with him at the end - then I guess we have Lana running around with us like the first time on Nathema.

Might even be that we meet Theron at the beginning and are running around with him on Nathema. Or we just reunite with him at the end - then I guess we have Lana running around with us like the first time on Nathema.

Running around with Theron? I assumed he'd be out of the picture for a while, until we catch up.

Does anyone actually think we'd get to take Arcann? I mean now that Nathema no longer seems what it used to be, he should be able to have the confidence to go to it again?

I'm going to say Lana too, it would be nice to have a companion of choice with us too, but If we're going to be stuck with one, I suspect it'll end up being Lana.

Nope. He could be dead. So, it will be one of untouchables. I would like to see T7 tbh.

Running around with Theron? I assumed he'd be out of the picture for a while, until we catch up.

But the next flashpoint is supposed to be the one where we wrap up his story arc - and they said there will be a bit of story first on a spacestation, then the flashpoint I think and after that again a little bit story cutscene again.

So we will definitely see Theron there again - question is when - at the beginning, during the flashpoint or at the end?

If they do send us to Nathama they’d better have a good excuse for the Force users. Last time we went it was Valkorian that protected us, now we don’t have that.

There is a new screenshoot of this Nathema on forums. Apparently after Vitiate death Force returned to it. Yeh.

I didn't mean for it to be taken in us actually being able to do it, it'll probably be Lana as well imo. I just meant, in a what if situation and if he would. :o

Probably?

Edited by RandomName_Ru

But the next flashpoint is supposed to be the one where we wrap up his story arc - and they said there will be a bit of story first on a spacestation, then the flashpoint I think and after that again a little bit story cutscene again.

So we will definitely see Theron there again - question is when - at the beginning, during the flashpoint or at the end?

Hard to guess for me... Seems like there is going to have be some time to get upset and forgiven also whatever happens to the superweapon.

Maybe somewhere in the middle? :p