Game Update 5.4a

EricMusco

I already addressed the thing about internet service provider. Read my past replies.

I did and I still don't get how you think an MMO should be held to a higher standard than an ISP. My previous post stands.

It isn't rare in terms of a mmorpg, is this the first or even 5th time it has happened? No! It doesn't matter that other times it wasn't down as long. The fact is they need to work on their staff. There's really no excuses for having a patch then breaking the game creating another longer unscheduled maintenance. Yet that's all I see excuses and comparisons. Like I said before, just because others have issues doesn't make it okay. I don't think you understood the context of when I said the norm, I meant the norm with Bioware is having issues in some shape or form. And that is the truth, that isn't limited to just patching I meant on a universal scale, not just for this game either.

Who is saying it's acceptable? Who is saying it's ok? Who are you arguing with exactly?

You called someone on their supposed "poor example" when they were more pointing out how you wouldn't ask/get compensation in that sort of example (which is far worse than this imo) so why should it be provided in this example.

I'm not entirely sure if you are arguing for compensation (I would assume so since you went after their example) though in regards to context I do believe you are the one who is posting out of context to what you quoted.

If you are just arguing "no it's not ok, it's not acceptable" then fine, that's true but then the post you quoted wasn't entirely saying it was fine or acceptable. Just that things can happen like this and it doesn't automatically qualify for compensation (beyond what we've already lost is my view) - the key is they learn lessons and improve moving forward.

Well, the point I made with a company having fewer resources is that Bioware with the resources they have, they should do better. And like I've kept saying, others doing it too or worse is not an excuse. They should all be ashamed.

Care to point me out some evidence as to how much resources BWA have vs the company you quoted earlier or are you just assuming this to be the case?

Point is that "**** happens" is an irrelevant statement, it is no excuse or valid defense, and therefore holds no value to the discussion.

It justifies the reasoning for why compensation is not required (as some demand it should be) beyond what we lost thus it is totally valid and has value. Maybe it doesn't have value to whatever debate you are seeming to have with yourself here (around people giving BWA excuses and defending them) but based on what I read of the post you quoted that is not what that poster was doing, that is just what you set your hair on fire over and assumed they meant. Your strawman nonsense is just that ... nonsense.

Your angry ok, get angry, don't make pretend that people are making arguments they are not making though.

I never implied that it's always like that, I implied that it's often like that.

You literally said "the norm", I literally quoted you saying this. More strawman crap.

And that's the truth. But hey keep supporting a mediocre service, that's why they will take longer to improve significantly or won't at all.

Oh and how often is often?

They did a poor job 3 years ago for instance, and they not doing a vastly better job now. They doing a better job yes, but good enough? Well depends on how you see it. For me, no.4

I personally believe things have improved overall in regards to QC for example with far less ridiculous "here is an economy breaking bug we won't bother exploiting for a month" - in fact considering how close a lot of those economy breakers were placed together it's been a long time since we've seen another. This tends to prove things are improving yet of course things can and should always improve, no one is arguing they shouldn't (you are just arguing that you think we are).

Things like this come down to human error, they can learn and improve further. If you are expecting erfection and to never have events like this occur you don't actually live within the bounds of reality and you are setting yourself up for disappoint no matter what you do or where you go.

Btw maybe you don't know about the budget of Swtor's INITIAL development phase, nearly 200 million

Mass Effect Andromeda had 40 million in the budget and have less frequent issues already. And don't say I can't compare it. It's the same company and with less budget. After all, you were the one that started talking about AAA games. And like it or not, ME:A is one.

ME:A - the game they literally just stated they are no longer doing single player patches for less than 6 months after launch? That's your example of doing things better? If you have a bug still too bad you are **** out of luck heh. GG that's crap example of decent support. Both games released buggy yet this game has had 5 years of support and is still on going.

Also, there aren't many recent games that cost "100's of millions" so not sure what you mean. Can you even name more than 5? Even Skyrim only cost 85 million and I think the only game since 2013 that cost over 200 million was GTAV. Maybe there are a few others that I'm missing. But I don't think there are any with as many issues as SWTOR that are somewhat recent.

100's of millions was a bit of an exaggeration on my behalf, more comparing the term AAA games with high production costs to the current production and development costs of this game which I think would be miniscule in comparison. Thinking of some utterly terrible launches for these sort of games you would expect a high caliber of QC ... Diablo 3, Arkham Knight (at least they offered a refund), GTA online, AC Unity, Final Fantasy 14 (they actually had to pretty much rebuild that one).

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say they knew about most bugs before going live, but maybe the ones due to messing with the Source Control and overwriting couple of files with long gone versions.

What it looks like now is not only Keith is pushing hard the guys to publish the content before it's even remotely green for test phase, but also the experienced devs have been replaced by newcomers which are messing with the code and the versions. The former would make sense considering BioWare shifted the focus on BF II but also most importantly Anthem and so pulled devs from both Mass Effect and SWTOR.

Now regarding Anthem, here's when the hard reality strikes in. Kokatu (source)

^Armchair developer ftw. :rolleyes:

I'd say they knew about most bugs before going live, but maybe the ones due to messing with the Source Control and overwriting couple of files with long gone versions.

What it looks like now is not only Keith is pushing hard the guys to publish the content before it's even remotely green for test phase, but also the experienced devs have been replaced by newcomers which are messing with the code and the versions. The former would make sense considering BioWare shifted the focus on BF II but also most importantly Anthem and so pulled devs from both Mass Effect and SWTOR.

Now regarding Anthem, here's when the hard reality strikes in. Kokatu (source)

I think people don't realise that Bioware doesn't make any decisions anymore regarding franchise IPs. It's an EA show now and you'll find that most of the old Bioware guys are gone in favour of EA people. Bioware is just a named company they purchased for the IPs, now EA control the lot.

People still expect the Bioware development stories of the past, when in fact Bioware as they knew them are long gone. Even the author of that article refers to "Today we unveiled Anthem, EA's newest IP" and "Anthem was one of the biggest reveals for both the EA and Xbox conferences this E3".

All EA are doing is trading on Biowares past reputation, they dont actually give crap about it,

They could even remove the Bioware name altogether and solely say EAs xyz's studio location, ie Edmonton or Austin.

The reason they don't is they know people intrinsically hate EA, but not usually the studios they own, at least until they gut and destroy all the IPs, then they just repurpose the name like they did with Origin.

Edited by Totemdancer

For some reason after this patch landed, my commando (Light V) was reset to Neutral. I dont know why. This happened with the release of 5.0 as well, I put in a ticket then. However the issue was not resolved and I had to grind to Light V all over again. This is the second time on the same character...

For some reason after this patch landed, my commando (Light V) was reset to Neutral. I dont know why. This happened with the release of 5.0 as well, I put in a ticket then. However the issue was not resolved and I had to grind to Light V all over again. This is the second time on the same character...

From Keith ...

I just did Section X on my Dark V and my Light V toons and no impact. When you submit the bug, please try to identify everything you were doing/did - like I logged out when I finished the Aurora Cannon quest, or what you did immediately after leaving Section X. Don't give the details in this thread as it'll just get lost and our QA team won't pick it up.

There was a poll sent out via email last year that asked all kinds of questions like that, maybe ops didn't get as many votes as other things in the game did.

So we needed two strongholds more than a completed new ops huh? And you people wonder why this game is dead...

It's quite sad when the state of the management is that they have no clue on how to improve the game, so they have to make polls about it. It's also not an efficient way, not everyone will see the poll. In fact, the majority of players likely did not see it.

Reading the forums isn't a good idea, the most vocal on these forums usually are the most destructive to the game...

I agree, recruit people to work on these games that aren't morons and don't let other morons influence them to make a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE RPG turn into a SINGLE PLAYER RPG!

Holiday in the States. Hopefully they're able to enjoy it there in TX after all the mess of last week. Sure we'll hear something this week.

This week is to late ... I want to hear something about it today. Because tomrrow the Double Event is over and the only acceptable compensation for me is an extension.

I don't care ... they said they would let something hear in the coming days previous week ... since the event is ending tomorrow and there was talk about an extension ... I want an answer today.

Your caring isn't going to change reality, I'm afraid. Perhaps I'll be wrong but I doubt it.

If it's important enough to you, you'll be back when the game suits your wants/needs, otherwise, well, the end of a game comes to us all.

I don't care ... they said they would let something hear in the coming days previous week ... since the event is ending tomorrow and there was talk about an extension ... I want an answer today.

This here is what we call a logical fallacy. If nobody is at work then nobody will answer will they?

I want an answer to my CS ticket regarding my Agent bug that I filed last week but I won't get one today. Why? Nobody there to answer it.

This here is what we call a logical fallacy. If nobody is at work then nobody will answer will they?

I want an answer to my CS ticket regarding my Agent bug that I filed last week but I won't get one today. Why? Nobody there to answer it.

Still waiting on a solution to a problem myself, but I understand that weekends and holidays are going to happen and don't begrudge them that especially after last week. It was a rough one for them.

Still waiting on a solution to a problem myself, but I understand that weekends and holidays are going to happen and don't begrudge them that especially after last week. It was a rough one for them.

Oh yeah, I can imagine the pile of tickets they got before/after the unpleasantness. Not everybody attends the forums.

The only thing that has performed consistently is their skill in proving I lack imagination when I try to think of the worst possible way something could be implemented. They really outdo anything I can dream up in that department.

This made me LOL and feel sad at the same time.

All The Best

Well then you might be out of luck. In the US today is a holiday which means most of the staff is out of the office, enjoying the holiday.

In addition, they are in the state that just had a hurricane and even if that particular area didn't have much damage a lot of people in Texas are out helping their neighbors that did get hit. Texas has a history of helping each other out even if it is not their particular town.

Edited by casirabit

Since they are on holiday is there still going to be a patch tomorrow? Or will they give us patch notes after the event?

I personally doubt there will be one tomorrow after this incident and the fact the launcher hasn't stated there will be.

I imagine they are of the opinion to giving away notice of patches where possible now and let's be honest ... this exploit isn't world breaking and I'm sure those doing it can easily be caught and punished if they bother.

I don't see them rushing through anything on the back of last week's issues so I imagine a patch later in the week if not next week but that's just my view.

In my opinion 'losing' 50 cents for not being able to play for one day, doesn't give me the right to demand anything. I just hope that BW will look at their quality control seriously and do everything they can to prevent **** like this happening in the future.

You assume that everyone is an everyday player.

I am not saying that there are hundreds of people that only play on Thursday, but each individual's "daily cost" is a function of how many days they play.

The bottom line, though, is that people pay to play and so when they can not play they have a right to question the expense.

If I walk into a store and buy something that costs a dollar and the store charged me even a single penny more I would question the cashier on the cost. Yeah, yeah, I know what taxes are and I am taking them into account... 9% where I live so it should cost $1.09 but they charge me $1.10.

Am I supposed to just pay that and move on?

What if it was a dime? A quarter?

So how many hours of downtime matters to you? How do you arrive at that number? What makes that number matter but all lesser numbers not matter?

And if the daily cost is such a whole lot of nothing, then why not just add a day to all subs?

And if the daily cost is such a whole lot of nothing, then why not just add a day to all subs?

See, to me (subscriber since the beginning) that doesn't do anything at all. Not that I'm waving a pitchfork around about compensation but extending my sub for one day just bumps the subscription date.

Wheee?