Umbara Stronghold Exploit

EricMusco

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

There is an exploit which was introduced in Game Update 5.4 that we want to make you aware of, so that you avoid it. Currently, it is possible for someone to use the Guild Ship Summon feature to bring you into the room where you buy the Stronghold, therefore subverting the process of gaining access to the room. This is not intended and is considered an exploit. Do not participate in this exploit. This bug will be fixed in 5.4a tomorrow.

Following the bug being fixed we will begin to investigate the impact of the exploit and what action is required. I will post a follow-up once that has occured. We take exploits very seriously and want to ensure that SWTOR remains an even playing field. Thank you to the vast majority of you, who avoided this exploit.

-eric

Hahaha, no one even wants the stronghold now that you haven't increased the limit. No need for emergency patch.

Hey folks,

There is an exploit which was introduced in Game Update 5.4 that we want to make you aware of, so that you avoid it. Currently, it is possible for someone to use the Guild Ship Summon feature to bring you into the room where you buy the Stronghold, therefore subverting the process of gaining access to the room. This is not intended and is considered an exploit. Do not participate in this exploit. This bug will be fixed in 5.4a tomorrow.

Following the bug being fixed we will begin to investigate the impact of the exploit and what action is required. I will post a follow-up once that has occured. We take exploits very seriously and want to ensure that SWTOR remains an even playing field. Thank you to the vast majority of you, who avoided this exploit.

-eric

I don't even call this an exploit at all. INFACT, it's a simple line of code that you guys could of put in to prevent people from doing it, because you knew damn well they'd try to, but you didn't. However I am curious to see how you plan on dealing with the possibly 80% of the community that did the "exploit" seeing as you can't exactly ban half the game for it. **** dealing with people for doing something this small over a stronghold. You should be focusing on getting your players back, which at the moment all I see is EA's continued not caring about it's players, and only caring about how much money we give.

Edited by DarrthXanadu

Is there any plan in the works to increase the number of strongholds from the max 6? You'd have to know that people would want all the things...

I'd get the train, but not if it means having to get rid of one of my fully decorated ones. Please consider make it max 10 or something.

They don't want to give players >150% Conquest Bonus on Strongholds. I don't see why they can't just hardcode the cap rather than limit the number of SHes we can have : (

I don't even call this an exploit at all. INFACT, it's a simple line of code that you guys could of put in to prevent people from doing it, because you knew damn well they'd try to, but you didn't. However I am curious to see how you plan on dealing with the possibly 80% of the community that did the "exploit" seeing as you can't exactly ban half the game for it. **** dealing with people for doing something this small over a stronghold. You should be focusing on getting your players back, which at the moment all I see is EA's continued not caring about it's players, and only caring about how much money we give.

I'm curious as well.

Last night there were offers everywhere to summon you there for a mere 2 million credits per person. They were building groups and summoning in mass.

I'm curious to see what happens to the so called exploiters. Will it be a simple 7 day ban? Will they have the SH taken away and thats it? You going to track down the credits that changed hands as well?

I'm excited and curious about the so called actions bw will take given the community doesn't seem to really care given it's a SH and the poor implementation in how it was added to start with.

Hahaha, no one even wants the stronghold now that you haven't increased the limit. No need for emergency patch.

It always amazes me how something SO OBVIOUS is able to escape their "PROFESSIONAL QUALITY ASSURANCE STAFF".

So much for quality assurance.

The implementation of this whole 5.4 update has been one stupid pathetic joke after another.

Will they learn from this?

I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

I highly, highly, highly doubt anyone complaining about this was "just looking at the public listings" and that was all the intent they had. If that was true, the guildie who summoned you could have just given you a key to theirs so you could see it before buying it.

I used a summons to get there - the guildie that summoned me didn't buy the stronghold because he would have had to deactivate another of his, but he had the room unlocked and we figured a summons might work to get us there (used that trick with many datacrons). I took his summons, used the terminal to visit a completed and publicly listed train because it's NEW and I wanted to see what they looked like - the two of us walked around pointing out the things we liked/disliked because we're active players, not cheaters. I didn't purchase one, he didn't purchase one, and until they remove the current limit to strongholds, I won't. I don't need another house I don't use, especially one that starts with a "U" that will be listed on the last page.

So yeah, I'm complaining because everything we did was 100% innocent and 100% a normal part of the game. I used ship summons to unlock the new Ops even...it's not an odd way to access places you otherwise couldn't.

It always amazes me how something SO OBVIOUS is able to escape their "PROFESSIONAL QUALITY ASSURANCE STAFF".

The implementation of this whole 5.4 update has been one stupid pathetic joke after another.

I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

It would NEVER have occurred to me to do this so I'm not sure it's all that obvious. Then again, I'll admit to not looking for ways to get around things by nature.

It would NEVER have occurred to me to do this so I'm not sure it's all that obvious. Then again, I'll admit to not looking for ways to get around things by nature.

It is a hazard of working in testing. Instinct is to try and break things or use them how they were meant to be used but in ways and for intents/results they were never meant to be used for.

I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

This is a bit unfair...we have thousands of players trying every trick in the book. This one seems obvious in hindsight, but even when I got summoned there, it never occurred to me to buy it. QA probably catches a lot more than we think. I assume they have a very limited staff and they're limited by things they think of...which is a helluva lot less than what thousands of players will think about. Bugs that delete characters or inventories are a little higher priority find than something as insignificant as this imo...and I haven't ever encountered those. So blame QA if you like, but understand that they have far bigger bugs they need to catch...we only see the things they don't.

You may not have thought of it, but it is their job to look for such blatantly obvious things like this, which of course, they failed to do.

Just sad and totally disappointing that they don't do their job completely before releasing new things.

You may not have thought of it, but it is their job to look for such blatantly obvious things like this, which of course, they failed to do.

Just sad and totally disappointing that they don't do their job completely before releasing new things.

Don't disagree that it was an "ooops". Was just bemused by how, as usual, folks are quick to find a way to game the game.

I think it's sad and disappointing how many folks take advantage of screw-ups.

Don't disagree that it was an "ooops". Was just bemused by how, as usual, folks are quick to find a way to game the game.

I think it's sad and disappointing how many folks take advantage of screw-ups.

And it is because people will take any advantage they can that it falls to Bioware to actually do their job completely before releasing new content.

Besides, something this obvious should have been one of the first things they should have tested, given that they knew that gaining access should require the 60 recon datas.

I mean, it isn't rocket science to test the content properly before releasing it, especially since they know people will use the guild ship teleport at any chance they can.

Bioware just should have known this outright and there is no denying that this was going to be one of the first things people would try once they finally got inside that room for the first time.

And it is because people will take any advantage they can that it falls to Bioware to actually do their job completely before releasing new content.

Besides, something this obvious should have been one of the first things they should have tested, given that they knew that gaining access should require the 60 recon datas.

I mean, it isn't rocket science to test the content properly before releasing it, especially since they know people will use the guild ship teleport at any chance they can.

Bioware just should have known this outright and there is no denying that this was going to be one of the first things people would try once they finally got inside that room for the first time.

As I said, it wouldn't occur to me to do something like that. I understand that, for some, looking for the loopholes is important and fun.

As Rick Cook said:

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Substitute "idiots" with "opportunists", if you like.

Bad design is bad design. The terminal shouldn't be locked behind a grindwall, purchase of the stronghold should have been. Price should have been 5000 credits + 60 recon data. Terminal should be on fleet and odessen open to the public for viewing. So their exploit could have been easily prevented. This isn't a bug, or glitch...it was a poor choice by the devs

Bad design is bad design. The terminal shouldn't be locked behind a grindwall, purchase of the stronghold should have been. Price should have been 5000 credits + 60 recon data. Terminal should be on fleet and odessen open to the public for viewing. So their exploit could have been easily prevented. This isn't a bug, or glitch...it was a poor choice by the devs

I was and still am bemused by the whole "behind the door" aspect. Not sure why it was needed or done.

I was and still am bemused by the whole "behind the door" aspect. Not sure why it was needed or done.

Well, easier to code a door that requires a specific item to be opened and a different terminal that requires 5k credits for purchasing AND reactivating the SH.

I doubt they figured how to make a purchase with credits AND a specific currency while making the reactivation cost only with credit. It was easier to do the door thing, but as people showed them, it wasn't the best choice to do.

Remember what a somewhat famous Jedi said ? The easy way leads to Sloth, who leads to the Dark Side. è_é

Well, easier to code a door that requires a specific item to be opened and a different terminal that requires 5k credits for purchasing AND reactivating the SH.

I doubt they figured how to make a purchase with credits AND a specific currency while making the reactivation cost only with credit. It was easier to do the door thing, but as people showed them, it wasn't the best choice to do.

Remember what a somewhat famous Jedi said ? The easy way leads to Sloth, who leads to the Dark Side. è_é

That makes total sense!

good point, I didn't consider the potential reactivation cost. So I'll revise my criticism from "bad design" to "lazy design"

If it wasn't for the GC bonus, I would have never resubbed - and its for silly things like this. Not only is the stronghold gated beyond the standard credit fees but for those of us who have all the other sh's we're capped out regardless.

You know.. if they just gave a stack of cartel coins to some of the known exploiters I'm sure they could find these bugs for you on PTS no problem in advance of go live. LOL

Damn. If they gave me cartel coins, I'd spend huge amounts of time finding and exposing all their game flaws in a heartbeat.

They REALLY should do this.

Give players cartel coins everytime they play the PTR and find potentially game-breaking bugs so they can actually be fixed properly before they go on a clown-show of a release such as this most recent run-through.

Damn. If they gave me cartel coins, I'd spend huge amounts of time finding and exposing all their game flaws in a heartbeat.

They REALLY should do this.

Give players cartel coins everytime they play the PTR and find potentially game-breaking bugs so they can actually be fixed properly before they go on a clown-show of a release such as this most recent run-through.

Well, there would be so much peoples on the PTS doing this, since there is so much bug, that people wouldn't have to buy CC ever again. Which would just ruin half of the income of this game.