Enough about Theron. Please :)

Naholen

Don't forget Kaliyo... she betrays the Agent at one point in the class story. And Quinn betraying the Sith Warrior (even if he's already kriffing married to her!) in their class story.

Yeah, a companion who we had no choice in picking up whether we wanted them or not becoming a traitor to our character no matter what they do is TOTALLY a new twist we haven't seen before... yeah... right... totally...

/sarcasm

Thats been fixed now. The class story companion interactions are now based on a timeline as opposed to influence with them, so you don't marry Quinn until afterwards.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at how little care and attention they gave to Mass Effect Andromeda which was a highly anticipated sequel to their flagship series and a fully single player (supposedly RPG) game so a huge portion of the resources should have gone towards storytelling and characters, I have little hope that much will be given to SWtOR which is technically an MMO and has been out for what...6 years? Ideally for me instead of just flushing Theron down the toilet (I mean if you want to get rid of him, at least give him a heroic, well done, and in-character death) and replacing him with a single random new character, they'd add a whole crew of new, well developed characters in addition to keeping Theron and Lana that would all be relevant to the plot and that the game would shift focus between.

I don't think the main character roster needs to change and be replaced in order for something to be interesting (I loved Star Trek when I was a kid and that has very little change in characters over long series runs) I think the scenarios the characters are put in need to be interesting and well done, I think there need to be sub characters that are also interesting, and I think more care and effort needs to be put into villains and one-shot or limited characters to keep things interesting. When there are very few characters and they are the only ones who are developed and everything hinges on them being interesting with everything else just being slapped on...yeah it gets boring. I just want BioWare to do better. I'm tired of all this hasty, half-assed stuff. :(

I never played ME-A but I did hear everything about it. It just might be the first ME I won't be playing. I hope they won't butcher DA like that.

Like you I just want BW to do better too.:o

I never played ME-A but I did hear everything about it. It just might be the first ME I won't be playing. I hope they won't butcher DA like that.

Like you I just want BW to do better too.:o

ME:A does not deserve the amount of neg it gets.

Is it as good as the original trilogy? (Minus the god awful ending) No. But lets face it the bar was so high there could anything ever really have met it?

Did it have animation problems on launch? Yes. They have since been fixed considerably.

Overall, it is a solid game. It has a lighter feel to it then the doom and gloom of the original trilogy, designed that way by nature. They are in a new galaxy with hope of a new future instead of in their home galaxy with some big arse bad threatening to destroy all. Also the Tempest isn't a military / naval ship which automatically means it has less strict rules. The universe itself is quite amazing and has a lot of mysteries to unfold, I sincerely hope it gets a sequel - it deserves one. The chars where fun, each with their own little stories. It's well worth playing at least once and it's sad that there will not be DLC.

ME:A does not deserve the amount of neg it gets.

Is it as good as the original trilogy? (Minus the god awful ending) No. But lets face it the bar was so high there could anything ever really have met it?

Did it have animation problems on launch? Yes. They have since been fixed considerably.

Overall, it is a solid game. It has a lighter feel to it then the doom and gloom of the original trilogy, designed that way by nature. They are in a new galaxy with hope of a new future instead of in their home galaxy with some big arse bad threatening to destroy all. Also the Tempest isn't a military / naval ship which automatically means it has less strict rules. The universe itself is quite amazing and has a lot of mysteries to unfold, I sincerely hope it gets a sequel - it deserves one. The chars where fun, each with their own little stories. It's well worth playing at least once and it's sad that there will not be DLC.

BW abandoning the game and shutting down the branch who worked on it within 6 months of release does say something.

I could probably still enjoy it, but at the moment for the price that it is, which is already half of what it was, I can't say it's worth it.

But if you enjoyed it that's great! I enjoyed kotetfe, while "the majority" didn't.

BW abandoning the game and shutting down the branch who worked on it within 6 months of release does say something.

I could probably still enjoy it, but at the moment for the price that it is, which is already half of what it was, I can't say it's worth it.

But if you enjoyed it that's great! I enjoyed kotetfe, while "the majority" didn't.

I think of it like the Star Wars prequels.They have their passionate fans, there are some good aspects, but overall...not great. Anyway I do expect them to give DA4 the same treatment, especially since David Gaider no longer works for BioWare. I don't plan on buying DA4 unless the reviews and reception is amazing and even then I'd watch a bunch of let's plays to see for myself first. I'm thinking DA4 might be their last RPG.

Edited by Nefla

I adore Kotfe and Kotet :)

MEA is a good story on its own, a couple of small things that are missing due to lack of dlc but the overall story of the game itself is resolved by the end. Not sure if that helps or not.

I don't think you are paying attention to the main issue where Theron is concerned. Most people who are just kill everyone who betrays you and what not are the minority group that Bioware appeals to and if Theron is killed off we won't get any more screen time or romance interaction a with him as he will be sidelined like all other LI who e been killed off these past two expansions.

They aren't going to force you to kill Theron. He'll be back. You'll get to rage at his deception, then he can reference when Lana let him get captured to lure our Revan during Forged Alliances on Rishi (or not. It's BW, so they probably don't even know this happened), then it's kissyface time again.

However, if they do end up giving you the option to kill him for the "betrayal", he'll become another mute companion with no further agency in the overall plot, but that's par for the course for all the LIs. The expansion romances have had a ton of screen time compared to the vanilla options, which were largely confined to downtime on your ship, and now exactly one short scene each when they've been reintroduced through the expansions. Don't get me wrong here. I love me some Lana Banana, but the Lana & Theron Show has to end at some point (especially since they aren't really reintegrating our vanilla LIs, which I'd much prefer they do than sideline/kill them all). We are supposed to be the protagonists of this epic story, right? Cause it doesn't feel like it and hasn't since 4.0.

Neither is Lana and if they had done it right the traitor could have been her for the light side/republic side which is exactly what they should have done.

I thought for sure that this was what they had done and the choice made on Iokath would have actual tangible results beyond NPC cosmetics. I was fully expecting Lana to be the "traitor" and have Imperial dissidents shouting "For Empress Acina!" after Theron took a blast of Force Lightning for me ... and then I ran my Pub-allied toon through and Theron still betrayed me and I went ... lolwut?

I can't even say BW dropped the ball, at this point, since they apparently never picked it up to begin with.

I think of it like the Star Wars prequels.They have their passionate fans, there are some good aspects, but overall...not great. Anyway I do expect them to give DA4 the same treatment, especially since David Gaider no longer works for BioWare. I don't plan on buying DA4 unless the reviews and reception is amazing and even then I'd watch a bunch of let's plays to see for myself first. I'm thinking DA4 might be their last RPG.

Hmmm, they said in an interview DA will at least have 5 games, possibly more.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-08-11-bioware-already-has-plan-for-theoretical-dragon-age-5

Edited by Eshvara

Hmmm, they said in an interview DA will at least have 5 games, possibly more.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-08-11-bioware-already-has-plan-for-theoretical-dragon-age-5

Interesting that they have ideas, but it was clear they had ideas for a ME:A sequel too. In any case, I'm just extremely bitter and pessimistic about them and it feels to me like they're putting RPGs aside in favor of action games (and probably mobile games).

Interesting that they have ideas, but it was clear they had ideas for a ME:A sequel too. In any case, I'm just extremely bitter and pessimistic about them and it feels to me like they're putting RPGs aside in favor of action games (and probably mobile games).

I understand while you feel that way! It isn't exactly misplaced.:) Guess all we can do is wait and see whatever happens!

The only thing that makes me sad about the next DA is that I won't be able to be with Solas as the character I'll be playing will be someone else. The inquisitor will probably make a cameo like Hawke did in DAI and maybe they'll be able to patch things up. But it wont be me!!!:mad:

If that makes any sense. It just doesn't feel like "real" closure.:rak_03:

Oh well! Hopefully there will be Raleigh Samson romance.:rak_03:

I understand while you feel that way! It isn't exactly misplaced.:) Guess all we can do is wait and see whatever happens!

The only thing that makes me sad about the next DA is that I won't be able to be with Solas as the character I'll be playing will be someone else. The inquisitor will probably make a cameo like Hawke did in DAI and maybe they'll be able to patch things up. But it wont be me!!!:mad:

If that makes any sense. It just doesn't feel like "real" closure.:rak_03:

Oh well! Hopefully there will be Raleigh Samson romance.:rak_03:

*Eeyore intensifies* :o

Oh I definitely agree about the new protagonist vs Solas issue, I wrote pages of rants about it on BioWare's main forum before they shut it all down and deleted everything. :( I hate that BioWare does that. They bring forward a plot, antagonist, and companions of the previous protagonist but don't bring the old protagonist forward. So you have this random unconnected nobody adventuring with the previous person's friends and fighting against the previous person's enemies. Either bring everything forward as a direct continuation OR start fresh with a new protagonist, conflict, villain, and companions. Hey BioWare, remember when Luke lost his hand at the end of ESB and so he just buggered off somewhere and some random new guy came in and defeated the Empire with Han and Leia in RotJ? Me either! Also yeah it sucks when the character YOU shaped is no longer in your hands and just acts random and OOC.

Not that they would ever do it, but after this plotline is wrapped up I think it would be awesome to start a whole new story with new characters 20-30 years in the future where you play as your current character's child, adopted child, or apprentice.

Edited by Nefla

New Twist? Really so we haven't been betrayed by a companion we had no choice in picking up before.....oh wait we have.....at least two times and possibly three depending on choices.

Lets see Scorpio was forced on us, we all knew she was not trustworthy but we couldn't do a damn thing about it, we were forced to recruite her, forced to keep her around and even forced to bring her on a mission we should never have.....and she betrayed us....shocking.

Senya was forced on us, we had no choice in her recruitement and we took her on a mission we never should have...and she betrayed us....

Now Theron was forced on us, we had no choice to recruite him or bring him on any of the previous missions...and he betrayed us....

So yeah new twist, never anything like this has happened in game before. We have never had a companion we didn't recruite be force on us to bring to a mission and end up having them betray us before. Totally new twist. So bold of BW to totally take a new path and write a new twist into the game....

Thanks for your opinion on what is new and orginal maybe next time you will actually have a point, but clearly not this time.

Bonus round, Koth is forced on us. If we don't make depictions he agrees with he will betray us too....this wild new twist its like I've seen it before but clearly since its a new twist I could not have....

Sarggrith,

Your rebuttal would only be valid if anyone else cared about Senia, Koth and Scorpio. We already expected what these three would react the way they did by the way their story went and their background.

Everyone knew Scorpio was not to be trusted. So not a surprise there. It was expected. Not a twist kiddo!

Everyone knew the moment the Senya mentioned that she was the mother, that she would try to save her children.

And Koth, his whining nature was known for the get go. So, these three have not produced any "OMG OMG! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE BW!" Those aren't twists. Those are a normal process. Expected based on the script. No twists.

The old companions, we dealt with their "twist" in the past... but it was four years ago for many of us. So those are old stories. Those effected us then, not now.

So if your rebuttal seems is stuck on the words i used ("new twist), it is meant as new as in the present. I don't mean something never seen before..I am talking about something that affects you in an emotional sense to the point it is upsetting. How many players expected Theron to betray them? Did you? Since everything so far had been straightforwardly expected, nothing that made you gasp, then yes, this is a new twist, because it was unexpected.

Edited by Naholen

Sarggrith,

Your rebuttal would only be valid if anyone else cared about Senia, Koth and Scorpio. We already expected what these three would react the way they did by the way their story went and their background.

Everyone knew Scorpio was not to be trusted. So not a surprise there. It was expected. Not a twist kiddo!

Everyone knew the moment the Senya mentioned that she was the mother, that she would try to save her children.

And Koth, his whining nature was known for the get go. So, these three have not produced any "OMG OMG! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE BW!" Those aren't twists. Those are a normal process. Expected based on the script. No twists.

The old companions, we dealt with their "twist" in the past... but it was four years ago for many of us. So those are old stories. Those effected us then, not now.

So if your rebuttal seems is stuck on the words i used ("new twist), it is meant as new as in the present. I don't mean something never seen before..I am talking about something that affects you in an emotional sense to the point it is upsetting. How many players expected Theron to betray them? Did you? Since everything so far had been straightforwardly expected, nothing that made you gasp, then yes, this is a new twist, because it was unexpected.

So you define new as something happening now. But that isn't how the word new is usually defined. Normally it us used to discribe something unseen before. Having a companion betray you that you could have as a LI isn't new, its same old stuff.

Quinn did it already. At least he got to die for it much much later, but the thing is this breaks the companion now going forward because he can no longer be a main character because some of us will have killed him. So now we will end up with either the same for Theron or they will punk out and not let us kill him. Either way, the bad story writing continues and we still only have one orginal companion back this year....yeah Charles is doing well by us.

*Eeyore intensifies* :o

Oh I definitely agree about the new protagonist vs Solas issue, I wrote pages of rants about it on BioWare's main forum before they shut it all down and deleted everything. :( I hate that BioWare does that. They bring forward a plot, antagonist, and companions of the previous protagonist but don't bring the old protagonist forward. So you have this random unconnected nobody adventuring with the previous person's friends and fighting against the previous person's enemies. Either bring everything forward as a direct continuation OR start fresh with a new protagonist, conflict, villain, and companions. Hey BioWare, remember when Luke lost his hand at the end of ESB and so he just buggered off somewhere and some random new guy came in and defeated the Empire with Han and Leia in RotJ? Me either! Also yeah it sucks when the character YOU shaped is no longer in your hands and just acts random and OOC.

Not that they would ever do it, but after this plotline is wrapped up I think it would be awesome to start a whole new story with new characters 20-30 years in the future where you play as your current character's child, adopted child, or apprentice.

Yeah, I feel the exact same way.:mad:

I was hoping to at least be able to go with him, but not even that.:rak_06:

Sigh!😥

No romance hurt more than the Solas romance for me, it left a real sting, especially knowing the future.:rak_03:

• 2 weeks later...

I also agree, overall, with the decision of BW to make Theron the traitor. He was not my LI, but he was my friend. Or so I thought. I was attached to him, anyway, and used him as one of my highest level crewskills companions for a long time on my Trooper main. So I did waste a lot of gifts on him, plus I liked his personality. I will miss him, but they had to make it someone important to make it matter. And this is coming from a totally pro-Pub player that didn't read any of the datamined spoilers about the traitor, so I was genuinely shocked, and even saddened by the reveal when I played Crisis on Umbara for the first time in story mode.

This said, the only way it makes sense with the rest of the content where Theron is involved, at least for LS/pro-Pub players for him to be a true traitor, is he must be the best actor in the entire galaxy. Because on the train he says that it was ever since Valkorion was destroyed that he has been plotting against the Alliance to destroy it. If this is true, then during every one of the uprisings he participated in, and was supposedly helping us put down, it was all just a set up that we happened to be strong enough to thwart anyway despite his scheming behind our backs the whole time.

For example, in particular during the "Divided we Fall" uprising, where rogue Republic troopers who were loyal to Saresh are trying to turn the Republic against the Alliance and kill you, Theron is your main contact providing your Alliance support voice-overs as you progress through the phase. And here is his final dialog after killing the main boss:

Theron Shan: "Appreciate you taking out Kallin and those rogue security agents, Commander. I consider it a personal favor. This one hits close to home. Traitors willing to sacrifice innocent civilians and blame it on someone else to start a war are the lowest of the low. Makes me sick. I used to think the Republic was better than the Sith, but those days are long gone. Guess that's why I'm with the Alliance now."

What a giant hypocrite he turned out to be, and such a bald-face liar, apparently. Of course I suspect this dialog was written before anyone at BW had actually made the choice for Theron to be the traitor in Crisis on Umbara, considering this uprising was put in the game back in patch 5.1 (back in January). But still!

Anyway I can forgive the minor continuity problems that might exist due to this new development, because it does add a lot of drama to the story. And if they had made it anyone that was too predictable or inconsequential, a lot more people would be let down by the reveal.

I also suspect that in future updates the motivations of Theron might change drastically themselves depending on your choices you make in Umbara and going forward. Particularly starting with the final choice you make at the end of the FP on how to treat Theron after he escapes. There are only two choices there, unfortunately, one light and one dark (no neutral). I could be wrong, but I think that the 3 possible email messages you can receive afterward indicate Theron's future direction in your story, because they are quite different in tone from each other. You can find screenshots of them on Youtube pasted side-by-side in a video to read them all.

From what I can gather, one version of the letter is for romanced players who also picked the LS option on their final choice (the one to beg Theron to return to the Alliance), one for those who didn't romance him but still picked the final LS choice, and then there is one for those who made the dark choice to put a bounty on his head (the one I picked on my main).

Unfortunately regardless of any LS choices you have made in the past content prior to this final story choice to date, if you pick the DS option at the end of the Crisis on Umbara story, you always get the same very negative email from Theron basically reiterating his full intention to destroy you. Whereas, the other two letters are a lot more apologetic and even seem to hint that some of the things he is doing might be against his will.

In the end I do hope I get to kill him, and I will be sorely disappointed if they leave that out because of Theron fanbois and girls who are already crying over the mere possibility. Whatever his motivations turn out to be, I don't think I will be able to find them forgivable for all he has done to me to stab me in the back and lie straight to my face for so long. Too bad for everyone who is so obsessed with him that they are threatening to quit the game if if he is given a kill option. I find that pathetic that anyone would do that over one character.

Aric Jorgan is my favorite companion ever, and he was given a kill option. I suck it up and still have my head canon with him to rely on going forward, and I am happy to continue playing the game anyway, and paying for it because I can still enjoy the new content. And this is coming from someone who never hated Theron before and he was even one of my favorite companions, but I cannot forgive this betrayal and very much want to be able to kill him by the end of this story arc if I choose. If I am forced to keep Theron for reasons that puts my character way OOC based on the personality I have built over the coarse of all the story content that's ever been released, I will consider that a huge cop-out.

It would also be extremely unfair to all those super DS characters that have always sided with the Empire and have wanted to kill Theron since day one due to his Pub/Jedi background. This is especially true for all those playing Sith Warriors who chose to Force-choke Theron on the train and are already upset that the story didn't make sense to them because they didn't get to just go ahead kill Theron right then and there.

Besides, like many others here have already pointed out, Theron and Lana have had more than enough screen-time by this stage, and it's high time for them to be put to rest one way or another. I like both characters and have enjoyed their content even though it's gone a bit overboard, but I am ready for them both to be put in the background so something that is actually new can be done. This game is full of great characters whose stories have been over for a while now, and it would not be fair to keep Theron and Lana going indefinitely as main characters because some players have grown unhealthy attachments to them.

Edited by Signalights

Would you Theron lovers mind it as much if he got a kill option, but then BW would bring back private conversations?

His role in the story would be minimal, but he'll still get his own private content.

I'm curious.:rak_03:

Edited by Eshvara

Would you Theron lovers mind it as much if he got a kill option, but then BW would bring back private conversations?

His role in the story would be minimal, but he'll still get his own private content.

Honestly, I could settle for that, as those that don't kill him will still get something from him, in way of conversations etc. Unlike with other LI's up to now, with exception being Lana.

The only reason I hate the kill options is afterwards no-one gets anything new, whether the character lived or died. Now if the Arcann thing is right, as I said in the Arcann thread, if it happens it gives me more hope that they're finally not just saying "here's an option to kill -- oh but means everyone killed them in terms of future content appearances (lack of)". I very much preferred the Theron/Lana OR Arcann/Senya thing of part of KotET but do wish that had been an option not tied to simply letting Arcann live, but also to a choice "I want these two with me" after the fact.

A comment here and there and the cookie-cutter romance scenes that are currently all the after-content allowed for current killable LI's does not cut it for me. Private companion conversations like back in the class stories however, yes that'd be enough so long as it's not just one. I don't need Theron heading the main story still, I wish they'd ditch Lana as well and pick a couple new characters to take the lead finally. but I doubt it, with the current Alliance hierarchy.

Edited by Asmodesu

Honestly, I could settle for that, as those that don't kill him will still get something from him, in way of conversations etc. Unlike with other LI's up to now, with exception being Lana.

The only reason I hate the kill options is afterwards no-one gets anything new, whether the character lived or died. Now if the Arcann thing is right, as I said in the Arcann thread, if it happens it gives me more hope that they're finally not just saying "here's an option to kill -- oh but means everyone killed them in terms of future content appearances (lack of)". I very much preferred the Theron/Lana OR Arcann/Senya thing of part of KotET but do wish that had been an option not tied to simply letting Arcann live, but also to a choice "I want these two with me" after the fact.

A comment here and there and the cookie-cutter romance scenes that are currently all the after-content allowed for current killable LI's does not cut it for me. Private companion conversations like back in the class stories however, yes that'd be enough so long as it's not just one. I don't need Theron heading the main story still, I wish they'd ditch Lana as well and pick a couple new characters to take the lead finally. but I doubt it, with the current Alliance hierarchy.

Sounds reasonable enough, I'm hoping for private conversations as they were too. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Thanks for stating your point of view.:)

Yes, I would hate it. He is a big part of the narrative. Has been since SoR along with Lana. For him to be cut from the story and reduced to silent companion with private conversations would be completely unfair. Eventually, sure, once this storyline is over and if they return to a somewhat similar way of vanilla, but not during the current story.

Edited by serenitty

This is what I personally think is happening with Theron and Troy Baker. I think Troy Baker is busy on some other projects right now, he's working on the Last of Us 2 and some other games and shows. I think he had to go on hiatus for a bit with SWTOR and will be back, so they made him "disappear" for a bit so they could continue on with the story. I mean think about it. If they were getting rid of Troy Baker, they would probably just kill Theron off.

So even if Theron isn't triple agenting his way into a mysterious faction, and he really is now our enemy (which I highly doubt) he would still have to return as either the enemy or our ally. I am fairly certain Theron will return as our ally, if not I will be pretty disappointed. It seems ridiculously out of character for him to *really* betray us.

This is what I personally think is happening with Theron and Troy Baker. I think Troy Baker is busy on some other projects right now, he's working on the Last of Us 2 and some other games and shows. I think he had to go on hiatus for a bit with SWTOR and will be back, so they made him "disappear" for a bit so they could continue on with the story. I mean think about it. If they were getting rid of Troy Baker, they would probably just kill Theron off.

So even if Theron isn't triple agenting his way into a mysterious faction, and he really is now our enemy (which I highly doubt) he would still have to return as either the enemy or our ally. I am fairly certain Theron will return as our ally, if not I will be pretty disappointed. It seems ridiculously out of character for him to *really* betray us.

Has it been confirmed? Last I saw it was just a rumour started because someone was trying to make sense of why this is happening.

I honestly don't believe he has left or taking a break, I am sure a few hours here and there recording isn't going to take too much out of what ever schedule he has. If his contract is up for renewal that would be another matter though but I really don't think he would just up and leave a project before the end.

Also kill or not kill are not the only options, whether light or dark preferring player. Even if they do not put a kill option in for Theron at all, there will likely be a "he leaves and never returns" outcome.

Death is NOT necessary to get the same -no more future content/appearance of character/characetr gone from player's stuff- outcome and I would prefer it over a major character death (not jsut swtor but novels and comics major character) made just for the trigger happy fanboys wanting to kill the character, like with Quinn, especially if keeping him around he gets more stuff still with the chance he doesn't come back to the PC at all for those who don't want him anymore.

Death vs Return is not the only way to solve this. And with a character with so much media background, I'd prefer a Leave or Return type choice rather then a death or return. IE- no killing at all, but that doesn't mean those not wanting are forced to re-recruit or whatever still. I'd have preferred that for all possibly killed by PC companions though, but that ship has sailed.

Edited by Asmodesu