Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

Yeah and the amount of Credits i spend has dropped to zero for the GM now, BTW

Way to "tax" the Job creators Bioware, You pretty much are taking out this Class Warfare on us slicers....O crap i need to stop posting on the forum....I'M SOUNDING LIKE A REPUBLICAN

LOL, This is definately the funniest response I have seen so far...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also would like to remind everyone who preaches about 'gathering' of the following:

Profitability on missions is down about 90% on the best pre-nerf missions, while over all it's down 65% if you select the right post-nerf missions. More significantly, as of this morning BW has removed the credit boxes from Ilum and Tatooine, which for all intents and purposes, was a far greater source of credit generation.

Slicing is still profitable in the long-run, but the problem is more a function of other professions not being adequate in the capacity to generate income. Malthrin puts it best in this post (from another forum) regarding other professions:

By your logic we should get rid of space missions too then, huh? I receive more credits / hour doing space missions than I did pre-nerf slicing.

You may be somewhat of a math and science geek, but the perspective shared by that economic viewpoint is extremely limited.

The slicing thing made it worse because you could do that WHILE making money from space missions. It didn't require active participation beyond pushing a button every 5-10 minutes.

Like I have said MANY times. Inflation is a part of any in-game economy. that's just the way it works because costs tend to be fixed points not determined by the supply of currency. The key to a healthy economy is keeping the rate of inflation low. So as to not create a barrier for entry for new players.

Edited by Sticksabbi

Slicing generates money that slicers use to buy items on the market. The crafters get money from the items that the slicers buy. They crafters then send their companions out to gather more materials, which takes out a portion of the credits gained from the sale, and taking up time, so they can craft more items (which also takes a little time) and put them on the market for others to buy.

Nerfing the amount of credits slicers got from their only money making professions is not what the SWTOR developers should have done, what they should have done was put a fail-safe so that alt characters could not just get to level 400 slicing at level 10 whether that be by limiting slicing to one or two characters per server or by making sure you could do certain missions until you reached a certain level.

Please remember that slicers are unable to create items from their other two professions because slicing is a GATHERING profession. Slicers give up their ability to create items for themselves or to sell on the market without first buying the required materials (or having another character gather it for you). The reason slicing should be put back to the way it was (or even buffed at the higher levels based on what people are saying about repair costs) is because slicers are not making money off of the market except from the occasional schematic (I hear they don't sell for much anyway).

We all understood that. The problem is that it was -too- good.

It made everyone have too much money and getting repairs, buying speeders, etc all became too easy.

It essentially became just handing out all the money everyone needs. And you don't want handouts, do you?

Edited by VioletZero

Well, that's the problem. It's BWs best interest to make a tradeskill that is neither overpowered, or useless. The problem with slicing is that it will always be one of the 2. Other gathering skills may not suffer from that. While at low levels high end materials may be worth a lot, when everyone is 50, the low-mid end materials will be worth more, so those gathering skills will still provide money.

Slicing is not something that would balance itself out easily. That's why I would prefer if instead of giving money directly, it game something else that fits into the economy better.

You're wrong. I'm putting it this simply for you.

Inflation would catch up to slicing and the income generated by it would plateau. Read an economics book

You can only print so much money before you have to print larger quantities. Slicing would not be able to print larger quantities and would phase it's self out.

You're looking at the immediate as opposed to 3 weeks or a month down the road. The economy is going to be in shambles by then. there won't be enough credits in circulation to make doing anything profitable.

Edited by TheBoredfish

Ok, now I get it... You do not really care if slicing is broken or not, you are worried that your income will suffer.
Yes and no.

I do primarily care because it's hurting my profits. Duh. What astounds me is that other people want to see slicing broken or break it even worse IN SPITE of it hurting their profits. I don't advocate or approve of griefing, but I get the mentality. What I fail to comprehend is people so dedicated to it that they'd continue despite the obvious effects it has on themselves. It's like if PvP put some 2 hour death buff on the loser and an hour and a half death buff on the winner and people still go gank folks in the newbie zone because "he got it worse! ROFLMAO"

So you were getting lots of money, and that lots of money was coming from slicers.
Most of it comes from slicers, I assume. I don't know. I didn't send out an exit poll with every purchase asking for detailed information about the character that just bought my stack of Wind Crystals. :p They could be slicers, they could be crafters who sold something to a slicer or someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who was a slicer. (That's referred to, in laymans terms, as "an economy that is working.")

Now I have less customers. I recognize a few of the names and they're the same folks who bought a lot before. They buy less now. That measn that folsk who didn't have large amounts of reserve cash have stopped buying altogether and those with large amounts of reserve cash are spending less because they are expecting to have less because they realize that "economics just got REAL, motha(shut yo mouth!)."

Isn't that how inflation begins?
No. inflation begins when someone realizes that they can charge more for a good than what they are getting and decide to do so. This prompts the next person down the line to do the same thing and so on. This is not always bad. It's only bad when there are stark inequities in between supply and end user, to the point that supplier cannot pay his rent and keep supplying. I know you hear the big kids say "inflation!" with fear in their eyes, and it seems like a fun word to use as a boogeyman, but it's not.

Lots of money coming from somewhere?
You fail to grasp the concept. This is a video game. EVERYTHING comes from nowhere. Raw materials come from nowhere. Finished goods come from nowhere. Money comes from nowhere.

People accumulating large amounts of money?
Wealth is not a dirty word. People being rich happens, even in games. Your own jealousy may encourage you to demonize it rather than getting off your own butt and putting in the needed time to get the same results, but even that won't solve your problem.

The amounts people had (and still have) are not "large." These folks that think they're rich are the equivalent of a nine year old squealing in delight because he found a dollar bill on the sidewalk. (To give you an idea of what that's worth, I made ~$15 while typing up this post.)

They seem large to them because they pay a couple grand for a repair bill and the 40 grand training for a speeder that's not supposed to be difficult or expensive to get (it's minor convenience, not mechanically imbalancing and created user satisfaction. Making it difficult to get is flat out poor game design theory) is the biggest cash they've shelled out. They don't realize they're going to spend millions at level 50 for a minor upgrade to it.

Just because you do not directly use slicing, does not mean it was balanced.
Just because you don't understand how math works does not mean it's balanced now.

I do agree, it certainly was not balanced. The high level returns were pitiful and sad. The low and mid level returns needed minor tweaking to bring them down and the high end needed to go way up. I'd say in about six months you should put a level cap on it (and probably others) but for the moment, level caps and low slicing profitability stunt the growth of an economy that needs a kick start, not a choke chain.

I also would like to remind everyone who preaches about 'gathering' of the following:

Correct, but that is also caused by everyone leveling craft skills while not being able to generate much money questing (due to low levels)...

Actually, all tradeskills should be level capped so we craft only what we can afford, or get materials for... That may keep the economy a bit more in check as well.

Well, that's the problem. It's BWs best interest to make a tradeskill that is neither overpowered, or useless. The problem with slicing is that it will always be one of the 2. Other gathering skills may not suffer from that. While at low levels high end materials may be worth a lot, when everyone is 50, the low-mid end materials will be worth more, so those gathering skills will still provide money.

Slicing is not something that would balance itself out easily. That's why I would prefer if instead of giving money directly, it game something else that fits into the economy better.

I agree with this.

Unless they get creative and just retool slicing all together, it is either going to be broken or not worth it.

Lv 37 here with 400 slicing.

Yes I could make money, and lots if it before, but this is why I gave away patterns and missions to guildies - 100% of them. Now, I do not.

Augments are a joke because there is not a strong desire to buy them and crap sell value to vendors. Oooo 250 credits for a lv 40 items. Thanks~

Very few people are buying gear 1-49 because you level and replace stuff very quickly.

Augments are a joke because there is not a strong desire to buy them.

Not sure anyone heard that, but Augments are a joke because there is not a strong desire to buy them.

They sit on the GTN and you might get 1-2 worth selling. But rarely not, so I dont go for them.

Biggest complaint about the nerf isnt really the money change. The part that irritates me is the lack of bountiful+ options for the lv 49-50 tab. I never get them for boxes - ever.

I only get bountiful + on 1-5. I have tried emptying the rank 6 and nodda.

Moar ground nodes in high numbers such as Alderaan thanks!

TL:DR

Augments are joke,more bountiful+ on rank 6 for lockboxes(currently ZERO), more ground node clusters of boxes.

Yes and no.

I do primarily care because it's hurting my profits. Duh. What astounds me is that other people want to see slicing broken or break it even worse IN SPITE of it hurting their profits. I don't advocate or approve of griefing, but I get the mentality. What I fail to comprehend is people so dedicated to it that they'd continue despite the obvious effects it has on themselves. It's like if PvP put some 2 hour death buff on the loser and an hour and a half death buff on the winner and people still go gank folks in the newbie zone because "he got it worse! ROFLMAO"

Most of it comes from slicers, I assume. I don't know. I didn't send out an exit poll with every purchase asking for detailed information about the character that just bought my stack of Wind Crystals. :p They could be slicers, they could be crafters who sold something to a slicer or someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who sold something to someone who was a slicer. (That's referred to, in laymans terms, as "an economy that is working.")

Now I have less customers. I recognize a few of the names and they're the same folks who bought a lot before. They buy less now. That measn that folsk who didn't have large amounts of reserve cash have stopped buying altogether and those with large amounts of reserve cash are spending less because they are expecting to have less because they realize that "economics just got REAL, motha(shut yo mouth!)."

No. inflation begins when someone realizes that they can charge more for a good than what they are getting and decide to do so. This prompts the next person down the line to do the same thing and so on. This is not always bad. It's only bad when there are stark inequities in between supply and end user, to the point that supplier cannot pay his rent and keep supplying. I know you hear the big kids say "inflation!" with fear in their eyes, and it seems like a fun word to use as a boogeyman, but it's not.

You fail to grasp the concept. This is a video game. EVERYTHING comes from nowhere. Raw materials come from nowhere. Finished goods come from nowhere. Money comes from nowhere.

Wealth is not a dirty word. People being rich happens, even in games. Your own jealousy may encourage you to demonize it rather than getting off your own butt and putting in the needed time to get the same results, but even that won't solve your problem.

The amounts people had (and still have) are not "large." These folks that think they're rich are the equivalent of a nine year old squealing in delight because he found a dollar bill on the sidewalk. (To give you an idea of what that's worth, I made ~$15 while typing up this post.)

They seem large to them because they pay a couple grand for a repair bill and the 40 grand training for a speeder that's not supposed to be difficult or expensive to get (it's minor convenience, not mechanically imbalancing and created user satisfaction. Making it difficult to get is flat out poor game design theory) is the biggest cash they've shelled out. They don't realize they're going to spend millions at level 50 for a minor upgrade to it.

Just because you don't understand how math works does not mean it's balanced now.

I do agree, it certainly was not balanced. The high level returns were pitiful and sad. The low and mid level returns needed minor tweaking to bring them down and the high end needed to go way up. I'd say in about six months you should put a level cap on it (and probably others) but for the moment, level caps and low slicing profitability stunt the growth of an economy that needs a kick start, not a choke chain.

That's the thing. I'm saying it's better now (with the current economy, that will change), but I also said in other posts that it will never be balanced. Slicing income is a fixed income that BW controls. it is not affected by the market, supply/demand, or any of the other factors. It would be better if slicing returned something other than lockboxes. Something that fits more into the economy.

A tradeskill that gives a fixed amount money will never be balanced because the economy shifts. 1 credit may be worth more, or less, tomorrow.

Edited by Raximillian

I have spent hours now over the past several days reading thread after thread on the topic. I have come to the conclusion that Bioware needs to issues some kind of statement about this just to end all the damn QQ.

Problem is we do not know the reasoning behind the nerf. Most seem to say its because people were crying on the forums about that, fact is we do not know. None of us. Not one player knows the real reason and what it was based off of.

Its more likely that Bioware has some statistics that we do not because they can actually monitor the player base and game as whole. They saw something happening and took action.

I still think slicing has its uses and is an alternative choice for a player instead of picking up a Mission Skill. All the professions are about that, choices. How do you want to approach crafting and in this game we have more options instead of the classic 2 professions.

Maybe that was Bioware's intent. This banter, arguing, QQ etc.... will never end unless A) Bioware releases a statement on the subject or B) its just fades with time.

^^^^^

This! The total lack of communication is the major problem now.

Ah, but your ever faithful, unbreakable law does not affect slicing because it is a fixed income. While you can look for something to supply the great demand out there, slicing does not change.

That's part of the issue with slicing. Any tradeskill that gives money will be inherently broken.

It either losses money (bad for you), breaks even (not really good), or makes money (free money press?). They should change slicing so it gives something else and not money lockboxes.

The law of supply/demand affects EVERYTHING including slicing. Slicing exchanges time for credits. If your time is better spent crafting armor then collecting credits then slicing is of less value (to you). Several others have posted how much more satisfaction (and credits) they get out of crafting so for them slicing is of less value.

Unless they believe that their customer base gets more out of slicing then other methods. Those crafters will consider slicing to be of more value. Just not for them to do.

You wrote that "Any tradeskill that gives money will be inherently broken."

Since all trade skills give money why do you claim they are inherently broken? do you mean all of them?

Take scavenging. I collect resources and can sell them to a vendor for money or to other players for money. Slicing eliminates the middleman and incidentally may reduce significantly the amount of money I can collect. For instance I currently collect bronzium in blocks of 3-4 and one other material 2-3. I sell both of them for 100 credits each. (or more) on my server yielding 500-700+ credits per node. A lock box in the same area runs 150-350 credits. Average seems to be in the low 200s. By collecting both I use a little time and get credits NOW and then spend a little more time (flying to Coursant to the GTN) and dividing up the blocks of resources and posting them on the GTN to get MORE credits later.

I chose my trade skills based on my being a smuggler rather than to collect credits. Slicing is iconic for a smuggler so I took it. The 2nd trade I took was Underworld Trading. Same reason. Iconic. Even more so that slicing :)

Now with only 1 trade left I took what seemed like the best gathering skill (Scavenging). Chosen cause it seemed to gather materials for the largest number of crafting trades and those crafting trades crafted stuff that people would likely need.

I was interested in archeology and Bio but the resources were only used by 1 other trade. There may in the future be a reason for those resources to be extra valuable but until then I am content.

Besides I can scavenge and slice while chasing that creature who stole my ship. :jawa_evil:

We all understood that. The problem is that it was -too- good.
No, it wasn't good enough. If it had been too good then you'd see a continued trend of inflation and en excess of credits despite being all-but-removed as an option.

If it had been "good enough" you wouldn't have seen level 50 players immediately drop it to pick up crafting.

If it had been "close to being good but still too much" then it would take about a week to two weeks to notice the economic downturn.

But no, the change was immediate and negative. So... not just "not good enough" but "not good enough by far."

It made everyone have too much money and getting repairs, buying speeders, etc all became too easy.
What you call "too much" and "too easy" are highly suspect.

Also, please note that level cap is not 25. Much changes in between 30 and 40, and far more between 40 and 50. your "too much" today is going to be "this game is a broken and unplayable korean-style grindfest" in about a week.

It essentially became just handing out all the money everyone needs. And you don't want handouts, do you?
If you think it's all the money anyone needed, then please let me know what life is like when you get done selecting your advanced class, as it seems you haven't made it that far, yet.

Ya this is ridiculous. I just got the result of a class 6 WEALTHY mission:

Cost 3k

Time 2 hours 24 minutes

Result = 2700 Credits, level 49 crappy augment

AWESOME!

Automated Saboteur is the only mission that is very consistently profitable for me. Fly on the Wall and Taking Back Control are profitable the majority of the time. Pointing Fingers and Be Careful What You Read about profitable about 75% of the time. I don't bother running any other missions.

That's the thing. I'm saying it's better now (with the current economy, that will change),
I am baffled by how you can be so well spoken and so very, very, very bad at math and simple reasoning.

but I also said in other posts that it will never be balanced.
this is probably the most correct thing you've said so far, but probably not for the reasons you think.

Slicing income is a fixed income that BW controls. it is not affected by the market, supply/demand, or any of the other factors. It would be better if slicing returned something other than lockboxes. Something that fits more into the economy.
Actually, no. Slicing returning raw credits serves both to invigorate a young economy and later can help act as a baseline that will actually SLOW inflation as the game progresses.

Individuals who use slicing will not pay more than a certain amount for goods, because they CAN not. They have no choice, they simply do not have more than that amount to spend. in the short term it drives up prices and makes the low level convenience of a speeder seem relatively accessible to a casual player, but still makes those later upgrades pretty daunting when combined with the costs of higher level training, repair bills, etc.

That sounds entirely like it was working (pretty close to) intended IMO.

A tradeskill that gives a fixed amount money will never be balanced because the economy shifts. 1 credit may be worth more, or less, tomorrow.
Yes, although It can help to ameliorate some of that shifting, and act as a baseline for comparison which actually makes the game economy MORE stable, rather than less.

The law of supply/demand affects EVERYTHING including slicing. Slicing exchanges time for credits. If your time is better spent crafting armor then collecting credits then slicing is of less value (to you). Several others have posted how much more satisfaction (and credits) they get out of crafting so for them slicing is of less value.

Unless they believe that their customer base gets more out of slicing then other methods. Those crafters will consider slicing to be of more value. Just not for them to do.

You wrote that "Any tradeskill that gives money will be inherently broken."

Since all trade skills give money why do you claim they are inherently broken? do you mean all of them?

Take scavenging. I collect resources and can sell them to a vendor for money or to other players for money. Slicing eliminates the middleman and incidentally may reduce significantly the amount of money I can collect. For instance I currently collect bronzium in blocks of 3-4 and one other material 2-3. I sell both of them for 100 credits each. (or more) on my server yielding 500-700+ credits per node. A lock box in the same area runs 150-350 credits. Average seems to be in the low 200s. By collecting both I use a little time and get credits NOW and then spend a little more time (flying to Coursant to the GTN) and dividing up the blocks of resources and posting them on the GTN to get MORE credits later.

I chose my trade skills based on my being a smuggler rather than to collect credits. Slicing is iconic for a smuggler so I took it. The 2nd trade I took was Underworld Trading. Same reason. Iconic. Even more so that slicing :)

Now with only 1 trade left I took what seemed like the best gathering skill (Scavenging). Chosen cause it seemed to gather materials for the largest number of crafting trades and those crafting trades crafted stuff that people would likely need.

I was interested in archeology and Bio but the resources were only used by 1 other trade. There may in the future be a reason for those resources to be extra valuable but until then I am content.

Besides I can scavenge and slice while chasing that creature who stole my ship. :jawa_evil:

Ok, I should have clarified it a bit more. Any skill that directly gives a fixed amount of credits will always be unbalanced.

That is not the same with other gathering or tradeskill because the value of their peoducts will shift. Sure, desh is probably nor worth anything right now, but when everyone is 50, it will probably acquire a greater value.

The value of credits will constantly shift. The value of items will shift with that. The fixed credit income from slicing would not shift, unless BW constantly makes adjustments to slicing income.

That's what I meant to say. I just believe a tradeskill that returns a fixed income in credits will never be truly balanced, because the value of each credit will constantly shift.

Inflation happens when too much currency is in circulation. Problem is there are tons of sinks both one-time (i.e. over-priced skills), some continuous (the expensive repair bills the higher levels report), and some hybrid ones (crafting missions).

That's why banks raise interest rates, to slow down spending and encourage people to save so it starts taking money out of circulation.

Close but not quite. Central banks raise interest rates to amass more credits in THEIR vaults. People banks encourage savings by people so that particular bank can have more reserves in its vaults so it can lend out more credits at the higher interest rates it will charge. Remember the savings interest rate rarely equals the loaning interest rate. And those rates are not fixed in stone in RL as they can be in a game.

Economics can seem VERY complicated because the math formula(s) to properly describe it can involve trillions of variables. At least 2 of which are based firmly on the laws of quantum physics. (See Probability Theory and Chaos Theory)

I'm happy to see you're now aware and acknowledge that gathering, rather than sending your crew to do missions, is far and away the leading money maker with slicing... that's what your quoted link says. Does this mean you'll be preaching now too?

I'm sure the nodes on Tatooine will return, if indeed our random poster #865 is correct about them all being gone. Personally I think it's far more likely that we have a huge number of slicers who are now unable to click a button once every 40 minutes and make cash, so they are actually going out and doing some of the work now because they have a lot of points invested in slicing already.

You seem to assume that I haven't gotten to 50.
No, I have concluded that you have not reached 50 in this game based on your many comments that would be either idiocy or malevolence if you actually knew how the game played at that level.

I chose to conclude (which is a position I take based on evidence gathered, rather than an assumption which is based on little or nothing) that you didn't know, rather than conclude that you are an idiot or a jerk.

I actually think 50 is perfect where it is. Where everything is expensive and hard to afford.

You should have to work for your success, not just have it handed to you.

How nice. I go to work to work for my success, personally. They pay me in real money.

100 credits a minute (top net result from pre-nerf slicing) is ~6000 credits per hour.

3 companions slicing per hour=18000 credits per hour.

2 hours in an operation can easily result in 40,000 in repairs.

So... Constant slicing (which i will not be able to manage while playing, mind you) for three hours will net me two hours to play something I want.

I work 40 hours a week to do what I want for the other 128. When i get a better fun/work return ratio from my job than I do from a game, it is time to stop paying real money for that game.

Edited by LeperJack

I am baffled by how you can be so well spoken and so very, very, very bad at math and simple reasoning.

this is probably the most correct thing you've said so far, but probably not for the reasons you think.

Actually, no. Slicing returning raw credits serves both to invigorate a young economy and later can help act as a baseline that will actually SLOW inflation as the game progresses.

Individuals who use slicing will not pay more than a certain amount for goods, because they CAN not. They have no choice, they simply do not have more than that amount to spend. in the short term it drives up prices and makes the low level convenience of a speeder seem relatively accessible to a casual player, but still makes those later upgrades pretty daunting when combined with the costs of higher level training, repair bills, etc.

That sounds entirely like it was working (pretty close to) intended IMO.

Yes, although It can help to ameliorate some of that shifting, and act as a baseline for comparison which actually makes the game economy MORE stable, rather than less.

Hum... Yes, that would be true, if the economy was balanced around slicing. The problem is that it is not.

Look at what happened now. Lots of people had slicing because it was generating good money for little to no effort. A nerf happens, and now people are dropping slicing left and right. So the economy cannot be balanced around a tradeskill that people pick up or drop as a flavor of the month.

If slicing was a skill that everyone had, then sure, the economy could be checked with it. Anyway, the economy should never be balanced around a single, optional, tradeskill. That is not something that makes sense in my mind.

I guess we differ there a bit. I do not think the economy needs a push to start up. I believe we should let it run, and slowly build up by itself without external influence. If a strong external influence is used, it could have bad consequences when the influence is removed if not done properly.

I just have a problem wrapping my mind around a tradeskill that is not affected by the server economy. That's what's throwing me off. I just can't think of a good way to balance it. My math may be wrong, sure, but I believe it will always be wrong with how slicing works.

That's what I meant to say. I just believe a tradeskill that returns a fixed income in credits will never be truly balanced, because the value of each credit will constantly shift.

But if the value of each credit will constantly shift

And the value of each unit of desh will constantly shift

Where is the problem of a "fixed" income. If anything the scavenging is broken cause it yields a fairly constant number of units of material. But when converted to shifting credits it probably does shift more than the slicing credit yield ( 150-300 in my example).

I am glad slicing got nerfed. I felt like it was a required skill. I wanted to take 3 interesting skills and level them up, not click a button for free money. I think slicing was a bad idea in the first place and wouldn't mind seeing it get removed or completely recreated.