Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

What? A crew skill that costs money to use? Like every other crew skill?!

/balanced

Huh? In every other crew skill mission you get some material unless a failure. If you decide to sell the materials at a loss that is your own fault.

Why do you have to price your material under cost to sell? The economy is dead.

Do you think people enjoy grinding mobs for drops to npc just for credits? No, that is why for the last 3 days I have been getting in game mail from people advertising credits for sale.

I am beginning to think that BW has no long term plans for this game, huge nerfs soon after launch, real money traders sending mail, and most importantly the lack of communication.

I really would like to play this game for years to come; however, I do not want to invest my time and money into a game that has no long term plan.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was using profits from slicing to support my crafting of armor. Because low level armor does not sell even for the recommended price with all the free stuff that drops.

Armor crafting to make creds at low levels just sucks. And now, since they nerfed slicing it really doesn't sell.

Retard move playing with the economy at this first like this...

bah

I was using profits from slicing to support my crafting of armor. Because low level armor does not sell even for the recommended price with all the free stuff that drops.

Armor crafting to make creds at low levels just sucks. And now, since they nerfed slicing it really doesn't sell.

Retard move playing with the economy at this first like this...

bah

Yep. My casual group that was going to meet about once a week or so, each of us took up professions so that we could craft us some good stuff as we were going up. Wow, what a shock that was. I would randomly try and just sell some exceptional pieces of armor that I would make and most of the time I would get responses along the lines of, why would we buy that crap and what makes it so exceptional. And then they would say, oh I see, it allows you to have an augment slot. Who the heck cares about augment slots that early in the game.

So you can see, people dont even want crafted items. Now, here is another issue I have with crafted armor and that is, why cant you make all the set pieces at the same level? Who was the freaking idiot that came up with a system that you cant make a full set of armor for the level. Again, why boots at 11 and pants at 12 and arm braces at 14 and finally the chest piece at 15? That makes no freaking sense at all!

So back onto the subject of the slicing nerf, still no comments from BW eh? Sigh....

Edited by xDoomsDayx

I dont get why people keep calling it a "hole to throw money into". It's just like any other gathering skill now. You run missions at a cost to get mats and levels and you get free mats from nodes. It's no different from any other resource garnering crew skill now. If you think that it's just a money sink now then you must think that all crafting is for getting rid of excess credits as well. I think the problem is that people thought that it was suppose to be a stand alone skill and it's sole purpose was to be a money tree so to speak.

Uhm, just what "mats" are slicers supposed to get from their lockbox missions compared to say UWT metals missions or Treasure Hunter gemstones missions? Would you think it fair if you had to spend 10 Gemstones to run a mission to get 7 gemstones of the same type/value back along with a very small chance at a schematic or mission discovery? After all, as is so often said by so many, you shouldn't "profit" from running missions. Sounds pretty stupid, right?

Or if you want to compare a gathering node capable such as Scavenging with Slicing, let's change the Scavenging missions so you have to pay say 10 bronzium and 5 plastoid to run a mission that gives you a chance at 5 to 12 bronzium and 2 to 6 plastoid along with a very small chance for a schematic or discovery. Again, sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it?

Edited by KalenDarkmoon

With enough time and patience, you too can slice your way into debt! Not for you? Then enjoy one of the crafting skills where you can makes items that are inferior to what you can find and receive while questing.

Right now every crafting skill is nothing more than "dump X amount of credits here". I got artifice up to 300, for a long time I could craft items i couldn't even use and I still haven't used a single thing I can craft because questing/pvp/everything rewards much better.

The problem non-slicers are failing to recognise, is that the slicing money was driving the economy. It was an easy way of generating cash without the 'hassle' of crafting. They then used that cash to buy from other players who could be bothered. Now there's no easy cash for the lazy, they'll just make crafting alts and run missions for the most profitable sellables, or craft the most in-demand items. There will be more competition between sellers, fewers buyers, and eventually the market will readjust downwards until all the pre-nerf slicing cash is redistributed. The only net change overall will be the fixed price items like training, vendor items and storage space being considerably more expensive in real terms.

THIS! nuff said!!

so even though this has been said, how hard is it to go to a location and "gather" your own lockboxes while having sent 1 companion and gamble on whatever they get? it is a Gathering crew skill isnt it? not a mission based? so how do you lose money by going out and getting your own boxes?

so even though this has been said, how hard is it to go to a location and "gather" your own lockboxes while having sent 1 companion and gamble on whatever they get? it is a Gathering crew skill isnt it? not a mission based? so how do you lose money by going out and getting your own boxes?

Yes, that has been said. It also has been answered too numerous times. Please look back and read those answers. Enlightenment comes to those who seek it.

Edited by Zakkana

Blegh, one of my friends left the game because he lost faith in bioware (worried what will happen to his class, if they manage to nerf a skill this bad).

I'm dropping slicing too. Dead skill is dead. Bring on the goldsellers.

I know how your friend feels. I'll be heavily evaluating whether to continue in three weeks primarily because of how what they did to Slicing shows a propensity to nerf something into the ground when what seemed to be called for was a slight adjustment. Given that hair-trigger nuking attitude on their part, I am hesitant to commit to anything in the game that gives me fun and satisfaction because such enjoyment might be short-lived if they decide some class or other skill is not "in balance".

As a Slicer, I have adapted to the change by ceasing mission running, since it does not reliably seem worth the bother any more now that I'm am in the mid-30s. But every day I'm waiting for some other pronouncement that some class or skill is out of balance and needs to be "fixed", followed by a heavy-handed nerf that shows no regard for player concerns or frustration. Meanwhile most crafting skills are deficient and receive no boost, and tons of bugs go uncorrected, and indeed new ones were added with a recent patch.

I noticed my income from Slicing going up last night. Oh, no, not the raw credits. But the supply of missions and blueprints on the market seems to go down, so mine actually sell more often now. And yes, I do sell them pretty cheap. Only about half as much as what the GTN suggests me to sell them for, still way more than what a Vendor would pay for them. So I think I've found roughly the right value for them. And everybody dropping slicing helps too, ofcourse, so I got to thank you all for complaining about nothing!

Noone's going to pay 1700cr for a mission that yields about 2000cr in rewards, yet costs 900cr to run. The total investment of that would be 2600cr for a 2000cr return.

However, sell it for ~800cr (still more than the 400cr a vendor would pay you for that mission), and the buyer will have a total investment of ~1700cr for a 2000cr yield.

You profit (you got the normal credits from the mission PLUS the 900cr from selling it), the buyer makes a slight profit on the mission, everybody happy.

Now, why don't I see those yields in the spreadsheet? Oooh, they're left out for dramatic purposes? So overall, the actual yield of Slicing is probably about 20% higher on avarage. It's slightly profitable without selling those missions or blueprints already (well, if you prefer to leave your companions sitting on your ship doing absolutely NOTHING, then that's your own choice), but it's way more profitable WITH selling those extra catches.

So I'd say: the spreadsheet is incomplete: it doesn't list the mission/blueprint rewards.

As a treasure hunter I can tell you that most times I go for lockboxes I lose cash, its just I get the occasional good item as a bonus. Yes I do get the gems but given that nothing is selling atm treasure hunting is a cash sink that makes a loss as is archeology and articifer.

I am keeping slicing for now (i'm cyber).

The schematics are nice, and the crafting missions sell well on my server.

I have found that moderate missions tend to break even credit wise, and have a greater return of schematics/missions.

When the nerf happened i was 25 with 100k after buying my riding skill, now @ 33 I have 300k post nerf. But I sell everything I get that I personally cannot use, duplicate schematics, crew missions. And I stopped buying mats off the market, I am not going to chase purple craftables until i get to endgame.

I find it disturbing that people are threatening to quit playing the game just because 1 profession was "nullified" in their eyes. Are you playing this game just because you want to slice? Are you pissed that you found something that made you booku bucks and now that it doesn't therefore its Bioware's fault for ruining your ability to "have a good time?" Go get another profession. It's not like dropping slicing is going to ruin everything about the game. There is so much more to it than that.

I find it disturbing that people are threatening to quit playing the game just because 1 profession was "nullified" in their eyes. Are you playing this game just because you want to slice? Are you pissed that you found something that made you booku bucks and now that it doesn't therefore its Bioware's fault for ruining your ability to "have a good time?" Go get another profession. It's not like dropping slicing is going to ruin everything about the game. There is so much more to it than that.

I think it is a relative thing, some people are saying "I am having less fun now since the nerf happened"

As a treasure hunter I can tell you that most times I go for lockboxes I lose cash, its just I get the occasional good item as a bonus. Yes I do get the gems but given that nothing is selling atm treasure hunting is a cash sink that makes a loss as is archeology and articifer.

Not in my experience.

I created a crafting alt post Slicing nerf and went with Treasure Hunting. He's done no PVE and no missions other than Treasure Hunting, and I've managed to level into the 200s without spending a dime on him.

As to Slicing, it needed a nerf but the nerf was overdone. It's still okay for a main who PVEs a lot, but it's a total loss for crafting alts or as a way to supplement your income while PVPing (which is how I had used it).

Bioware needs to learn fast from other successful games that nerfs are best done slowly and in small percentages... not with reckless abandon.

Edited by Yozbick

Blegh, one of my friends left the game because he lost faith in bioware (worried what will happen to his class, if they manage to nerf a skill this bad).

I'm dropping slicing too. Dead skill is dead. Bring on the goldsellers.

I'm glad you're dropping it. It has always been my opinion that the missions were intended to be relatively neutral as far as income. However, that means that they're a completely cost and time free means of leveling slicing.

Since the nerf, I have found a ridiculous number of slicing nodes in the world; I assume because there are fewer people to open them. I probably find 10-20 of these per hour while doing missions or what not, giving anywhere from 800-1200 credits a piece. Those are credits that I don't have to rely on the GTN to convert, unlike other gathering professions. I think those are the real point of slicing. It is a gathering skill, afterall, not a mission skill.

And that's not even mentioning the mission discoveries.

Edited by Tewnam