We need a Galactic Stronghold Rating System

blackphantome

In connection to the new released Manaan stronghold a old - for most players maybe unimportant - issue shows up again. The actual game does not deliver the players the opportunity to rate a public stronghold. Currently the public strongholds get sorted by the highest number of prestige - and this should not be the case.

Especially with the new stronghold it is interesting to see how people decorated their Manaan stronghold with the intention to get impressions and ideas how to decorate the own stronghold. The problem is that mostly the first Top5 strongholds are filled with crap. These are strongholds of people who have much decoration prestige but do not decorate their strongholds in a harmful way. Mostly, these strongholds are filled with soldiers, Rishi trees or anything else that is cheap to obtain.

Firstly, this is a problem that has to get solved to improve the public stronghold list.

Secondly, this might be a idea how to improve it:

At first, the number of prestige should be still get seen by the players to provide "pride" for those who collected many decorations.

But the number of prestige should not be the aspect that sorts the public strongholds in the list.

To improve the situation, people who visited a stronghold could get the possibility to rate the stronghold from 0 Banthas to 10 Banthas while 0 is very ugly and 10 unbelievable good. All the votes get mixed to one advantage number. To make the advantage number valid, there has to be a minimum number of counts of ratings because only one 10 Bantha rating would place your stronghold on the top. And this advantage number decides whether one's stronghold is listed above or low.

For the votings there should not be any criteria. Maybe only the subjective esthetic impressions of one's stronghold.

To get the chance to vote, someone has to visit the stronghold. Rating without visiting should not be allowed.

I guess there are many more ways to improve the situation. But please, we need a new system.

People with crapped strongholds should not be on the Top5. This is for the decoration fans.

Good Idea.

I like to Visit other Strongholds. But sometimes i have Problems. You See a Jedi-Academy. You visit the Academy. And i see a Stronghold full of Chairs. Whynot a Rating System where i can downrate this Stronghold? Much of These Strongholds have high Prestige. So People look and get fast boring of These Strongholds and the Stronghold System. :rolleyes:

If we are to have a stronghold rating system, they first need to make a lot more decorations available in greater numbers. As it stands, there is a reason people spam Guardsmen or Banners - because it looks slightly better than meat trees or basic metal chairs, and it's extremely expensive to get enough of literally anything to decorate reasonably with (and this is on top of the ridiculous hook layout of Manaan stronghold that basically forces cluttering on those small green floor hooks if you want 100% completion...).

Good Idea.

I like to Visit other Strongholds. But sometimes i have Problems. You See a Jedi-Academy. You visit the Academy. And i see a Stronghold full of Chairs. Whynot a Rating System where i can downrate this Stronghold? Much of These Strongholds have high Prestige. So People look and get fast boring of These Strongholds and the Stronghold System. :rolleyes:

Don't you understand there are world records for the most chairs in a stronghold! How can you get the hot chicks if you don't have more chairs than the next guy?

Why would someone publicly list their stronghold if they haven't decorated it?

I would gladly welcome such addition. The very fact that we have public listings for SHs proves that they were meant to be something to show off, something to be proud of. This is why there absolutely should be a way to reflect the time and effort put into decorating. We should be able to separate SHs filled with chairs that only took half an hour to set up from SHs that are well thought out little masterpieces of interior decoration that took days if not weeks to complete. A simple cheat-proof voting system would solve this problem.

Fun fact: back in the days when I played LOTRO, they had an amazing contest once where players could submit their player homes for judging by a community manager or game dev, can't remember the details now. They would visit all the homes and select three winners for first, second and third place prizes. The reward was a special trophy decoration. It was so much fun, it brought the decoration marked back to life, and it really prompted people to put some effort into decorating their houses. And then there were the bragging rights for those who were good enough to win. Good times.

I don't like the potential for trolling... One poor player could have their SH Bantha 0'd into oblivion by one troll and their friends/guild.

One way I could see around this is a simple 'Like' button. Then, at least the trolls could only upvote their friends' SH without harming the reputation of someone else's. Visit an SH and don't like it, just don't vote.

Don't you understand there are world records for the most chairs in a stronghold! How can you get the hot chicks if you don't have more chairs than the next guy?

Why would someone publicly list their stronghold if they haven't decorated it?

Oh, if only you could see the "bed" room in my Nar Shada stronghold.

Not a bedroom, but a BED room.

:)

Yeah, # rooms unlocked > # of decos placed for determining conquest boost % please.

DO we need that? Not really. This is in fandom activity area.

If you need fame, there is SWTOR fashion and SH decorating fanpage where people rate their work.

There are sites for those who make fanfics, fanart and there it can be rated too.

Sure everybody is free to have idea how the game could be better, but in current situation I would not try to engage very limited resources BW obviously has to make something that unimportant.

I don't like the potential for trolling... One poor player could have their SH Bantha 0'd into oblivion by one troll and their friends/guild.

One way I could see around this is a simple 'Like' button. Then, at least the trolls could only upvote their friends' SH without harming the reputation of someone else's. Visit an SH and don't like it, just don't vote.

TUXs and you are right. That could help fighting against trolls. It is sad that there are trolls but it is better to fight them than to let them spam 0 Banthas to good strongholds.

DO we need that? Not really. This is in fandom activity area.

If you need fame, there is SWTOR fashion and SH decorating fanpage where people rate their work.

There are sites for those who make fanfics, fanart and there it can be rated too.

Sure everybody is free to have idea how the game could be better, but in current situation I would not try to engage very limited resources BW obviously has to make something that unimportant.

No, we don't but I would like to see that. :)

Sadly, earnest votes would be as seldom as earnest MVP votes in PVP.

/signed

Also, they should add the public list in the UI for easier access. Many times I want to visit strongholds, but then I remember I have to go to the fleet and I change my mind :p

That's a good point! That would make things a little bit easier. :D

I would gladly welcome such addition. The very fact that we have public listings for SHs proves that they were meant to be something to show off, something to be proud of. This is why there absolutely should be a way to reflect the time and effort put into decorating. We should be able to separate SHs filled with chairs that only took half an hour to set up from SHs that are well thought out little masterpieces of interior decoration that took days if not weeks to complete. A simple cheat-proof voting system would solve this problem.

Fun fact: back in the days when I played LOTRO, they had an amazing contest once where players could submit their player homes for judging by a community manager or game dev, can't remember the details now. They would visit all the homes and select three winners for first, second and third place prizes. The reward was a special trophy decoration. It was so much fun, it brought the decoration marked back to life, and it really prompted people to put some effort into decorating their houses. And then there were the bragging rights for those who were good enough to win. Good times.

No thanks on the devs judging the "best" strongholds and giving some super-small number of winners an exclusive decoration.

If they want to make new decorations, those decorations should be available to everyone, period.

They can make them direct-sale in the CM, put them in lockboxes, or whatever, but they should not just go around saying "You ten people... You all get something that no one else can have because we happen to like your strongholds more than others".

And it wouldn't make it any better if they let the players vote for their favorites.

=============

As far as stronghold rankings, as others have said, a simple upvote system would be better than any sort of point system, but even that is going to lead to some mixed results.

Large guilds may well encourage their members to go an upvote every other members strongholds, no matter how disorganized or incomplete, and some people with some very nice strongholds may be overlooked because they don't have the friends needed to get those upvotes early on to draw more eyes to what they have to get enough additional upvotes to show up high enough on the boards to matter later.

Completion % may not be perfect, but is it that much worse than what an upvote system might leave?