Manaan SH Megathread

foxxycandy

Hi,

Just going to post some stuff for people who are interested.

1. The Manaan SH is very small. 4/4 full unlock, 30 max people.

2. The guild SH still costs 30mil total.

3. The hook layout is terrible, atleast in my opinion. It is absolutely not friendly to anything, like bedrooms.... :S

Post anything else you find; feedback, interesting things like the hooks outside the underwater observatory, etc..

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Positive:

• I like the style of the stronghold, Manaan is beautiful
  • small but in my opinion not too small
  • nice ideas, for example the glass bottom
  • interesting design

Neutral:

• starship hook is not reachable

Negative:

• the layout is absolutely terrible. I really don't know how to build ANYTHING (bedroom, throne room or anything else)
  • It would be better if we could place a ship in the entrance where there is a centierpiece hook located
  • Much potential that is not included - for example a submarine room
  • Manaan music is missing

To conclude, I am a little bit disappointed. Because of the layout I have no idea how to decorate this stronghold in a form it looks good. I planned a bedroom and a throne room but I don't know how to realize it with this layout.

We'll see how to make the stronghold worth it.

Edited by blackphantome

I was pretty disappointed with the layout as well. Not quiet with that it's so small but really that it's just so... unfriendly with the hooks. It starts when you travel there. You stand on a giant plattform. Why is that not a spaceship hook? I'm pretty sure promotional art even showed a spaceship on that plattform, but nope. Then you have a large walkway filled with pedestrials. Perfect to show off your memorial statues or vehicle collection right? Nope. Only medium slots meaning all of the really cool ones won't even fit there. But hey, at least you get a million tiny ones lined up so close together that the game can't even render them past 5 feet distance of your character.

And that trend continues. Hooks are so pointlessly scattered all over the place that you can barely get a somewhat decent layout to work.

And maybe the most disappointing bit is the pletora of details that you can't even examine. At the balcony you have a unreachable area almost three times the size of what you can actually traverse. If you look out the window you can see a interesting area with some submarines and a clear walkway that you can't even get to.

Really, the problem with this stronghold isn't that it's so small, it's that it's entirely build arround making it seem way bigger than it is.

Edited by RandyTheSalo

This SH was what I had hoped for since SH was first added to the game. But only 4 expansions to the new SH is a big letdown. Other SH has anything from 7 - 9 expansions. Also some areas like the shiphock and the area to the North of Rooftop Garden not possible to get to is just silly. So I'm happy but more disappointed. Not good enough Bioware. Edited by Alexlightbringer

I'm a little bit crushed here. I was looking forward to Manaan so incredibly much, and now, well...

Why is the starship hook inaccessible, even worse than Nar Shaddaa? You can barely even see it properly enough to put anything there!

Why couldn't you have used the huge open area where you log in as the starship hook instead?

Why can you only have 30 people in a fully unlocked Manaan? That would make any sizeable RP events impossible to hold there.

Why does the music stop 5 seconds after load in?!

Why does it cost as much as it does when it has fewer rooms and far less usable space than Coruscant or DK?!

Why is the hook placement so absolutely atrocious?! I love decorating, and I don't know if I can do anything attractive or functional looking with these crappy hook layouts, especially with the huge gaps in between hooks in some places leaving areas looking barren.

Why is the entire stronghold not considered a rest area?!

Why are there such huge areas visible of the stronghold that you aren't able to access and don't have any hooks?! That's just wasted space and potential!

Why is the glare on the windows in the underwater section so incredibly bright that it obstructs huge chunks of the ocean view if your virtual face isn't pressed against the glass?!

Why is the underwater view so flat and pixellated looking? It looks like an alpha version of the environment, not the finished one. Did you forget to put shaders in?

Why is there no glass in the skylight above the main room? You know it probably rains a lot on an ocean planet, right?

Why are there no ceiling looks in the side rooms in the underwater observatory?!

I was going to buy and fully unlock Manaan first thing after logging in today, but after viewing a video preview and going through someone else's, I'm not sure I will. You did a terrible job with this, EAWare. It looks like you put next to zero effort into something that legions of players have been begging for for literal years.

Edited by AscendingSky

While I do enjoy the smaller size (but not the bigger price... but hey, whatever), I am extremely disappointed in the starship hook. Where is it even? In the art, it shows a ship at the entrance where you come on. Not the case, it's a centerpiece. The rooftop garden has serious potential, but... it's dinky and you're unable to reach other spots.

C'mon guys, this had so much potential to be even more awesome. x.x

650 hooks.

So only 30 people can go in there, but it has 650 hooks? I don't know how you could even fill that count considering how tiny a useable space you have here on Manaan! You'd have to just cram junk into every available space after breaking things down into small hooks, and that would look terrible. I mean the basement--while it has a nice view--is absolutely tiny and almost totally useless thanks to bad hook layouts. And why did you give us an underwater area with no place to put that ceiling mounted submarine decoration, EAWare? That's another missed opportunity.

Would someone post some screenshots of the Manaan SH if they have the time and don't mind, please? I'd like to get a little preview of actual player generated screenshots (or YT videos) of the stronghold since I won't be able to login to the game and see it for a while.

I'm not demanding; I'm just casually asking.

I have just under 2500cc and was considering purchasing an extra 500cc since it's only $5 in order to purchase the SH maybe this weekend. Now, after hearing the feedback, I may just wait until my monthly cc grant.

Does anyone have an idea how to decorate this stronghold? :D I really don't have a clue and I fully decorated all the other strongholds...

I would suggest starting with the outside entrance area and then work inward from there.

This stronghold is very different then prior ones, so if you enter it with an open mind and realize all the outdoor as well as indoor hooks... it has A LOT of potential. '

The only thing I do not like is when I port into a stronghold, I would like my cargo holds, mail, vendors, etc.. right there waiting for me, but indoors. (Same beef with the Yavin strongold.) In this stronghold, that would be outside hook placements, which I think will work out.. but I need some time to experiment. It would be nice if they had a decoration that autoported you to a specific point in a stronghold when you enter, but I bet that's not that easy to do.

Positive:

• I like the style of the stronghold, Manaan is beautiful
  • small but in my opinion not too small
  • nice ideas, for example the glass bottom
  • interesting design

Neutral:

• starship hook is not reachable

Negative:

• the layout is absolutely terrible. I really don't know how to build ANYTHING (bedroom, throne room or anything else)
  • It would be better if we could place a ship in the entrance where there is a centierpiece hook located
  • Much potential that is not included - for example a submarine room
  • Manaan music is missing

To conclude, I am a little bit disappointed. Because of the layout I have no idea how to decorate this stronghold in a form it looks good. I planned a bedroom and a throne room but I don't know how to realize it with this layout.

We'll see how to make the stronghold worth it.

Yes the layout in the rooms is terrible. In the underwater rooms is the layout more then terrible. How to decorate without medium or big Hooks?

We Need more variety with the Hooks in the entry room before and in alle outer rooms. Why so Limited?:confused:

You Need to fix this.

I would suggest starting with the outside entrance area and then work inward from there.

This stronghold is very different then prior ones, so if you enter it with an open mind and realize all the outdoor as well as indoor hooks... it has A LOT of potential. '

The only thing I do not like is when I port into a stronghold, I would like my cargo holds, mail, vendors, etc.. right there waiting for me, but indoors. (Same beef with the Yavin strongold.) In this stronghold, that would be outside hook placements, which I think will work out.. but I need some time to experiment. It would be nice if they had a decoration that autoported you to a specific point in a stronghold when you enter, but I bet that's not that easy to do.

I think they should just let us bind to a specific location in a stronghold so we can port to the area we want everytime.

Apologies if any of these have been mentioned before, but here are my personal gripes with it:

- The observatory's glass floor is a cool idea but with terrible execution. The huge and blindingly bright glare from the overhead light that reflects off the glass makes seeing most of the underwater scene either painful for the eyes or impossible at most angles.

- The view outside the underwater windows... So. Utterly. Boring. I'm not asking for a full feature coral reef ecosystem there, but at least give us something more than two or three strands of seaweed sprouting from the absolutely bare ground. Some more, varied plants swaying on the currents, a school of fish, a curious selkath passing by, anything. I know, there's that giant whale/shark/whatever swimming by every few minutes, but that's not nearly enough to make me want to take that elevator down and stay in those rooms.

- The rooftop garden... is a lie. We have no access to said garden. All we get is a tiny area separated from the actual garden by a tall fence that makes even admiring the garden from afar impossible (that's a lot of 'garden' in one sentence, apologies).

- Terrible hook setup.

All in all, a disappointment for me. I'm glad I visited someone else's stronghold before unlocking mine, spared myself some credits.

Edited by Calarand

1 out of 4 Stars

With such a small 4/4 stronghold we can only hope they are working on another one now. Feels like an outdoor courtyard and meeting place for guilds not really a personal residence. Would have loved to have seen rooms on the side in both the main courtyard and observational tower. Only Civic and Environmental decos feel right in such a stark and washed out palette.

Anyone else seeing other people's naked companions bleed into their stronghold? Had this on Nar Shaddaa before.

Ideas for other 4/4 strongholds:

Quesh Industrial Refinery

Darvanis Oasis

Alderaan Mountain Chalet

Port Nowhere Hideout

My thoughts on Manaan;

-Wow-. This has got to be the most underwhelming stronghold on the list. Sure, it is pretty and I do enjoy the underwater chambers you can purchase, but with only 4/4 rooms, you come to the realization that the hooks are very.. 'eh', and the place is very small.

I, in hype mode, replaced my guild's SH for this, as we all have been very eager for this stronghold. However, now that we've bought all FOUR rooms, yes only FOUR, we have realized the place is simply too small to house a guild, as we can only have 30 people in the SH at any given time, and the hook designs are simply disgusting.

I now realize -why- there were no teaser trailers or images, compared to the Yavin SH where we got teaser images of specific areas. There's nothing to tease; you literally get what you see when you load in..

I now realize -why- there were no teaser trailers or images, compared to the Yavin SH where we got teaser images of specific areas. There's nothing to tease; you literally get what you see when you load in..

This.

If they'd ran some teaser footage no one would have bought it.

I logged in planning to buy it all.

Now I've seen the appalling hook layout I won't even waste a single Credit on it.

All The Best

You guys are interesting. Most players on these forums asked for a smaller SH and more hooks (no I'm not going to provide proof as this is a grown-up discussion) and when they give that you hate it?

Personally I like it. I'm fine with the size. The hooks are fine. We can get plenty creative with what we have.

My only slight disappointment is the lack of hooks in the underwater areas and the windows being so small or the upper ones being blurry.

Well, going back underwater. :D