You Know You're A Troll If...

MingusPho

We've all met them and at some point they've made us all miserable. Please list one behavior you consider to be indicative of a troll. I'll start :)

1) Insists on having the last word. These are the ones that can't let any topic go and must have the final say, as if to suggest "Ha! I got you!" somehow.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When giving an obviously incorrect answer on the fleet or capital planet when a (newer) player asks a serious question.

Sometimes it's just funny, but there are times when I'm concerned about what it does to newer players. :jawa_frown:

When Alt + F4 is given as advice. :D

Hey now, that is actually a real solution for anyone in a group finder that needs to reboot their computer. ALT+F4 in that scenario shows as a disconnect and keeps you in the group, where exiting normally drops you from the group and potentially leaves you with the GF 'quitter' penalty.

Hey now, that is actually a real solution for anyone in a group finder that needs to reboot their computer. ALT+F4 in that scenario shows as a disconnect and keeps you in the group, where exiting normally drops you from the group and potentially leaves you with the GF 'quitter' penalty.

It's just that when someone asks how to refresh your ui, someone will say alt+f4 or when someone asks how to change the camera distance, someone shouts alt+f4!

But yes when needed, it's a nice function.:)

We've all met them and at some point they've made us all miserable. Please list one behavior you consider to be indicative of a troll. I'll start :)

1) Insists on having the last word. These are the ones that can't let any topic go and must have the final say, as if to suggest "Ha! I got you!" somehow.

If you use the words little Johnny and Billy to bait people

Edited by Icykill_

According to current attitudes of some people, a troll is:

1). Someone who disagrees with you

2). Uses any form of humor, irony or sarcasm

3). Is being mean and confrontational

Neither of those is a form of trolling, get a thesaurus.

IMO if someone calls you a troll in a discussion about ideas, you won the argument. Dismissing your character instead of providing counter-arguments is a sign of defeat.

Edited by Iffyluse

The closest indication that someone might be trying to troll would be if their actions and behaviour are contrary and infuriating to the point of seemingly requiring a response. But... they don't actually require a response. It's hard for me a lot of the time, but I think the most important thing to recognize in a trolling situation is that one always has the option to ignore and move on.

The closest indication that someone might be trying to troll would be if their actions and behaviour are contrary and infuriating to the point of seemingly requiring a response. But... they don't actually require a response. It's hard for me a lot of the time, but I think the most important thing to recognize in a trolling situation is that one always has the option to ignore and move on.

Yes, emotionally weak people who are very susceptible to provocations are the main fodder for trolls. Anyone with a thick social skin don't give a toss about trolls.

Yes, emotionally weak people who are very susceptible to provocations are the main fodder for trolls. Anyone with a thick social skin don't give a toss about trolls.

Well... to me, this feels overly forgiving of the trolling and a bit insulting towards the victim of the trolling. I think it's true of ordinary, day-to-day trolling. But some people take trolling to extraordinary lengths, and it takes someone with an extraordinarily thick skin to ignore that! Not saying people shouldn't still try. I think that depriving someone of attention is the surest and quickest way to stop trolling. But sometimes it is genuinely very hard.

Well... to me, this feels overly forgiving of the trolling and a bit insulting towards the victim of the trolling. I think it's true of ordinary, day-to-day trolling. But some people take trolling to extraordinary lengths, and it takes someone with an extraordinarily thick skin to ignore that! Not saying people shouldn't still try. I think that depriving someone of attention is the surest and quickest way to stop trolling. But sometimes it is genuinely very hard.

Well if it turns into harassment that's a different kind of beast entirely, I was more talking about the general shallow type of trolling that is just for the momentary amusement rather than something deeper. If **** gets serious, well, that's what friends are for ;)

P.M. me if you want me to beat them up

Edited by Iffyluse

Well if it turns into harassment that's a different kind of beast entirely, I was more talking about the general shallow type of trolling that is just for the momentary amusement rather than something deeper. If **** gets serious, well, that's what friends are for ;)

P.M. me if you want me to beat them up

Ah, thanks, but it's just as contrary to the rules for me to go naming names as it is for people to troll persistently at an extreme level. I bet that the majority of people with Imperial characters who've tried RPing on the Progenitor during the last half a year or so have encountered persistent trolling like I have, and know just as much as I do that reports and tickets aren't enough to stop a troublemaker from making new characters and/or new accounts. Ignoring really is the best and only way to go. Even if a troublemaker keeps being disruptive, they'll eventually lose interest. It's just... as I said earlier... sometimes it's really hard to ignore! No one said that life in the Star Wars universe was easy though. :)

Ah, thanks, but it's just as contrary to the rules for me to go naming names as it is for people to troll persistently at an extreme level. I bet that the majority of people with Imperial characters who've tried RPing on the Progenitor during the last half a year or so have encountered persistent trolling like I have, and know just as much as I do that reports and tickets aren't enough to stop a troublemaker from making new characters and/or new accounts. Ignoring really is the best and only way to go. Even if a troublemaker keeps being disruptive, they'll eventually lose interest. It's just... as I said earlier... sometimes it's really hard to ignore! No one said that life in the Star Wars universe was easy though. :)

What do they actually do to you when you RP, do they spam the chat or something else?

Edited by Eshvara

What do they actually do to you when you RP, do they spam the chat or something else?

I just wrote a long explanation of the problems they cause, but then I realized that even describing it without naming them would be giving them some sort of attention, and attention seems to be what fuels them, so... how about I don't? :) Thank you for asking, but it would be better if I say nothing further.