Class Changes: Hatred Assassin / Serenity Shadow

EricMusco

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shadow Strike no longer has a positional requirement but now deals slightly more damage if used while behind a target and less damage if used while facing a target.

Serenity Strike now replaces Shadow Strike.

Does this mean that using Serenity Strike deals slightly more damage if used from behind target?

I think it just means that it will deal less damage when used from the front.

anyway, frontal maul, wow!

edit: oh i see what you mean, leeching strike (sorry, assassin brain here :) ) no, i think it's just more "streamlining", taking away an ability that it's not used by serenity (shadow strike).

Edited by nyrkverse

Very glad they decided to make this change.

At last we can stay competative in Damage, even if we have no choice but to face creatures and bosses head on.

This will also be a HUGE deal for levelling.

A very good day for Deception indeed.

Why this had to stay quiet riddles me, but alas.

Edited by Evolixe

Quick calculations tell me that Maul does 90% of original damage from the front and 110% from the back.

Directly compared just over 18% difference, definitely worth finding your position for but fair enough if you can't.

Alright, thanks.

Your "90 and 110% of base damage" just made it sound that a behind the target maul deals 10% more damage than before.

But maybe I jsut misread there, I'm not a native speaker after all :)

Alright, thanks.

Your "90 and 110% of base damage" just made it sound that a behind the target maul deals 10% more damage than before.

But maybe I jsut misread there, I'm not a native speaker after all :)

You didn't misread, they just changed stuff a bit. I thought that initially too, but came to the conclusion not much has changed. You still want to be behind as much as possible, but you won't be stuck doing half damage because you can't Maul.

I was so excited when i heard Balance/Serenity was getting some love, i dusted off my beloved (1st character from launch) shadow! After all, according to their logic, melee/dots spec, should be at the top of the dps list right?

But alas, it seems the have missed the mark again.

Logged in and started whacking my dummy around..... 300-400 dps increase but still 500-600 dps behind infil (melee/burst spec....)

I know both classes pretty damn well, have been running them since launch in and out of nim groups depending on the day of the (buff/nerf shadow) week. So i was expecting to see serenity finally out parse (on a dummy at least) its counterpart, infiltration. Nope, not going to happen, still a long way behind.

I appreciate the time and effort in trying to balance all classes but just wanted to let you know that you have missed the mark, even by your own melee/range/burst/dot logic.

*places shiny serenity shadow character back on the shelf and wipes a solemn tear from cheek*

Well, tried both Deception and Hatred today, both in pvp and pve...

Hatred has become way more usefull in pvp, the execute phase is great but it still lack on the defensive aspect to be really competitive with Deception. :( You die too quickly to be really effective.

Cool thing : front Maul... even though with all the desync you have in pvp, I never got any Maul from the back :/ But maybe I should try some more to be sure. :p

As for PvE... Hatred still need a really tiny help with Force regen when fighting solo boss... but maybe I lack training with this spec :)

Deception... Nothing changed. Still open with crazy numbers, still great dps... really, one of the most balanced spec as for now, I think. :)

Just think of Hatred as an AoE spec rather than a sustained spec and it's suddenly really amazing ;)

Yeah, once there is at least one other enemy in range it tops the charts. Kind of like Vengeance but may be even more so. Jarg and Sorno come to mind, doubt that many specs can beat Hatred there.

I guess I can live with the current DPS state but it could really use some defenses. Otherwise it's still just a spec for adds and brings nothing else over/equal to Deception.

Edited by Equeliber

Yeah, once there is at least one other enemy in range it tops the charts. Kind of like Vengeance but may be even more so. Jarg and Sorno come to mind, doubt that many specs can beat Hatred there.

I guess I can live with the current DPS state but it could really use some defenses. Otherwise it's still just a spec for adds and brings nothing else over/equal to Deception.

Infiltration is probably better at adds too though, at least with Stalker's swiftness.

Infiltration is probably better at adds too though, at least with Stalker's swiftness.

Depends on the adds. If you have lot's of small stuff that dies with a Discharge, then it's a moot point anyway, because Lacerating twice will kill them as well. But Charging back and forth is more fun, yeah :)

But in a fight with many targets that last a reasonable amount of time for your dots to be spread and actually tick, like Bestia,, almost nothing beats Hatred.

I was so excited when i heard Balance/Serenity was getting some love, i dusted off my beloved (1st character from launch) shadow! After all, according to their logic, melee/dots spec, should be at the top of the dps list right?

But alas, it seems the have missed the mark again.

Logged in and started whacking my dummy around..... 300-400 dps increase but still 500-600 dps behind infil (melee/burst spec....)

I know both classes pretty damn well, have been running them since launch in and out of nim groups depending on the day of the (buff/nerf shadow) week. So i was expecting to see serenity finally out parse (on a dummy at least) its counterpart, infiltration. Nope, not going to happen, still a long way behind.

I appreciate the time and effort in trying to balance all classes but just wanted to let you know that you have missed the mark, even by your own melee/range/burst/dot logic.

*places shiny serenity shadow character back on the shelf and wipes a solemn tear from cheek*

deception is probably going to be brought down alongside the other melee burst spec to roughly viru/madness levels.

You cannot really compare with the now "overperforming" specs they didnt touch yet. Tbh I think the 3 specs that probably will not be touched much are MM, Lightning and AP, rest will most likely be brought in line with the next big patch.