Maintenance: May 25th, 2017

EricMusco

The UK has nothing at all special happening Thursday.

Our Holiday is the following Monday.

My point here is this: pick a random day of the year - I 100% guarantee that THAT DAY is a Holiday SOMEWHERE.

So who do Bioware upset?

Or if it's not a holiday, it's someone's weekend, or their birthday, or their school break, or their vacation, or a day they specifically took off work just to play TOR, or their confirmation, or their bar mitzvah... and so on and so forth. No matter what time of day the servers go down, it's going to be someone's normal play hours. That's the reality of running an MMO that people play all over the world.

Scheduled server downtimes for patches and maintenance have been a thing with MMOs pretty much since MMOs have been a thing period. It's not the end of the world for the servers to be down for a few hours, or even for a full day. Even if it's a holiday! There are other things you can do with your time! The game will come back online eventually!

Edited by AscendingSky

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or if it's not a holiday, it's someone's weekend, or their birthday, or their school break, or their vacation, or a day they specifically took off work just to play TOR, or their confirmation, or their bar mitzvah... and so on and so forth. No matter what time of day the servers go down, it's going to be someone's normal play hours. That's the reality of running an MMO that people play all over the world.

Scheduled server downtimes for patches and maintenance have been a thing with MMOs pretty much since MMOs have been a thing period. It's not the end of the world for the servers to be down for a few hours, or even for a full day. Even if it's a holiday! There are other things you can do with your time! The game will come back online eventually!

The holiday that is being referred to is Ascension Day which is tomorrow but according to what I searched it's not a bank / public holiday so not sure why everyone is upset. I mean if you took the day off I guess that would be why. The main one like he said is Monday but it's a holiday for both US and UK.

Edited by Nightblazer

I still don't understand on why ther is so many maintenances with no update version? It just very annoying that we players can't play the game with these system alerts? Edited by CommunityDroidEU
referral removed

I can't express how much better explaining the reason behind server maintance is than simply staying silent! :)

As a tip for the future if you can not share the reasons: Just blame Eric Musco ;) (don't worry we have been doing it for years ;) )

some examples:

- Eric Muco's dog ate the harddrive.

- Eric Musco wanted to cheat himself a Kai Zykken companion.

The possibilities are endless :D;)

Edited by Drake_Averrod

You could have said so from the start?

Something like "Hey guys, we're going to migrate the servers to a new datacenter in the next couple of weeks, so there will be some more maintenance than usual".

Noone would have said a thing.

That tomorrow is a holiday for most of europe is a mistake that shouldn't happen, but hey, we're all humans after all.:)

Oh come on! Seriously as if American calendars show some random European holiday. Seriously. Just like your European calendars probably don't have Canadian Thanksgiving, USA Thanksgiving, and American independence, bet you don't have our Aussie holidays either. This is literally the first time I've heard of father's Day celebrated on something other than a Sunday. I've lived in 2 countries and while our dates are different with USA father's Day in June and Aussie in September they are all celebrated on Sunday. Give them a break.

Oh come on, its bad enough you do maintenance every friggin tuesday ... now thursday as well??? Its a friggin holiday for some countries ... maybe do it at a time bad for the US folks for once!

Really frustrating this. At least do some bug fixing at least instead of backend maintenance.

This weekend is a Holiday weekend for us too, here in the US.

Oh come on! Seriously as if American calendars show some random European holiday. Seriously. Just like your European calendars probably don't have Canadian Thanksgiving, USA Thanksgiving, and American independence, bet you don't have our Aussie holidays either. This is literally the first time I've heard of father's Day celebrated on something other than a Sunday. I've lived in 2 countries and while our dates are different with USA father's Day in June and Aussie in September they are all celebrated on Sunday. Give them a break.

It is not some random european holiday. It is a christian one. "ascension day" or whatever you translate it. While many people in europe do not consider themselves religious it is still a state holiday in some countries. Including the largest gaming markets in europe.

You can think of religion what you will but more people in europe "celebrate" this holiday than people will ever live in australia. So yeah. Market makes things matter.

Edited by Drake_Averrod

Dear Europeans, thank you for your gigantic toddler tantrums. Now us Aussies lose our entire evening. Seriously. Not cool guys. It was what, in your morning or afternoon time? Not even prime time. Not cool.

Ahh i love to visit your country Such a beautiful and bountiful culture. Australia, Truly A Unique place on this planet. I think at least. One of my Favorite ladies in the world i grew up watching and listening to & still have a crush on her to this very day and she still is a foxy Woman, that is Olivia Newton John. Just love her.......

p.s. i just gave away my age too. :p

The holiday that is being referred to is Ascension Day which is tomorrow but according to what I searched it's not a bank / public holiday so not sure why everyone is upset. I mean if you took the day off I guess that would be why. The main one like he said is Monday but it's a holiday for both US and UK.

You realise there are more countries in Europe than just the UK, right? And that people from those countries are the ones upset?

Dear Europeans, thank you for your gigantic toddler tantrums. Now us Aussies lose our entire evening. Seriously. Not cool guys. It was what, in your morning or afternoon time? Not even prime time. Not cool.

It's a public holiday in many EU countries, meaning it IS the prime time on that particular day. People will not be at work or school.

It's only a public holiday in some countries. And the home country of the studio is the US, and no holiday.

With so many holidays scattered across so many countries and cultures, it would be pretty difficult to work around them all... for a few hours of maintenance.

whaaaat? the ascension day is not a public holiday in usa?? omg :eek:

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ ?!? would be the best jedi ever !

outstanding :confused:

Edited by Thaladan

This weekend is a Holiday weekend for us too, here in the US.

Stop trying to fan flames - Memorial Day is on Monday, and almost nobody leaves school or work on the previous Thursday to celebrate it. Friday, perhaps, for a four-day weekend - but not Thursday.

Stop trying to fan flames - Memorial Day is on Monday, and almost nobody leaves school or work on the previous Thursday to celebrate it. Friday, perhaps, for a four-day weekend - but not Thursday.

You truly saw in my statement what you wanted to see, not what it was suppose to be, a Simple acknowledgment of our 3 day Holiday Weekend ( as in your country isn't the only one having a upcoming Holiday ) . I Said this Weekend, nothing about Thursday and since Memorial Day is on a Monday some people do have a 3 day weekend from work and schools depends where you live at.

I can not believe SOME people try to turn a simple innocent statement into something crazy just to get attention & start some crap, Grow up already.

I said my piece, and now i'll say, Take care & Be Well, & Peace OUT........

Of course I don't know holidays of other countries. Well, not all of them, but some major ones, sure(US Independance day for example). But then it's not my job to know them because I don't provide a service globally. Someone should check such things. Of course you can't take everything into account, because everyday is some holiday or whatever somewhere.

But tomorrow is a state holiday for the biggest part of middle europe: Germany, France, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finnland, Iceland, Greenland and a few other countries, some not even in europe.

That would be akin to a european developer to place a maintanenace on 4th julys prime time. Sure, it's not a holiday for the country you're working in. But it's one in one of your major markets.

And on a side note: Blizzard manages to to do maintenance at night as well in europe, so where's the problem with that?

Of course I don't know holidays of other countries. Well, not all of them, but some major ones, sure(US Independance day for example). But then it's not my job to know them because I don't provide a service globally. Someone should check such things. Of course you can't take everything into account, because everyday is some holiday or whatever somewhere.

But tomorrow is a state holiday for the biggest part of middle europe: Germany, France, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finnland, Iceland, Greenland and a few other countries, some not even in europe.

That would be akin to a european developer to place a maintanenace on 4th julys prime time. Sure, it's not a holiday for the country you're working in. But it's one in one of your major markets.

And on a side note: Blizzard manages to to do maintenance at night as well in europe, so where's the problem with that?

Speaking as an American, I wouldn't expect EU companies to take into account US bank holidays when doing their necessary datacenter migrations. I wouldn't throw a tantrum like so many of the EU people are doing if EAWare was a European company and they had scheduled one of their maintenance days on, say, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, or Columbus Day, or Presidents' Day--days which many Americans get off from work or school, but which mean NOTHING to people in the EU. I am a rational adult and would understand that an EU company would want to get their maintenance done on an EU workday during EU work hours.

As far as why Blizzard can do their maintenance at night on EU servers, WoW is a MUCH bigger game with an active population many times larger than TOR's and therefore their servers occupy multiple datacenters in different physical locations. It sounds like this is not the case for TOR. Also, WoW is Blizzard's flagship game and they apportion money, employees, and resources towards it accordingly. EA hardly gives a crap about TOR by comparison.

Edited by AscendingSky

It is not some random european holiday. It is a christian one. "ascension day" or whatever you translate it. While many people in europe do not consider themselves religious it is still a state holiday in some countries. Including the largest gaming markets in europe.

You can think of religion what you will but more people in europe "celebrate" this holiday than people will ever live in australia. So yeah. Market makes things matter.

Christian here and I've never heard of it. Jesus rose from the dead on Easter Sunday or so believed in both USA and Australia. Easter Sunday occurs after good friday which is in March or April despite Australia wanting to lock it to a specific day like Christmas. Funny thing is...my family is originally German and still celebrates many German traditions and yet not that one. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, clearly it does, but it definitely isn't widely known. Please add the USA numbers to Australia and Britain. K? Thanks.

Edited by americanaussie

When did they change the time of the maintenance?

I'm "Eurotrash", as one of the Australians put it so eloquently some pages before, and I don't mind the downtime today.

There is also (apparently) a guy from Bavaria who complained here. Today is Father's Day in Germany (+ Ascension Day). That means that all German men are supposed to go outside and get drunk. They merged Father's Day and Ascension Day, because no one would care for AD otherwise.

So, stop the bigotry and hypocrisy. The only holiday that matters today (at least in Germany) is the Father's Day which means all Father and non-father males get wasted as badly as they can and then they behave like apes. If you spend this day playing Swtor, you are doing it wrong. Go out and be a real man. :D

In Finland is a holiday, too, but winter is finally over, so everyone is outside. Including me in a few minutes. See you later.