Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Republic Pure DPS, Which do you Prefer?

CKNORTH

I am Spring cleaning my characters looking to give a pure DPS a go in hopes one day I can actually stop procrastinating and run some OP's. So the Question would be which Pure DPS is most enjoyable for me. I like them both Equally but it seems range is the overall best at the moment in my mind, but then Jedi Sents are quite fun in there own respects....

I am curious what others have as there favorite pure DPS Class and why? Thanks. :)

I am Spring cleaning my characters looking to give a pure DPS a go in hopes one day I can actually stop procrastinating and run some OP's. So the Question would be which Pure DPS is most enjoyable for me. I like them both Equally but it seems range is the overall best at the moment in my mind, but then Jedi Sents are quite fun in there own respects....

I am curious what others have as there favorite pure DPS Class and why? Thanks. :)

My favorite dps class is the one that goes "PEW PEW PEW.......PEW PEW". :p

I'd go with trooper. It's the most fun Republic ranged DPS.

Only gunslingers and sentinels (and snipers and marauders on the Imperial side) are "pure" DPS.

Troopers have either heal (commando) or tank (vanguard) options.

Of those two, I prefer the gunslinger.

A dual-blaster wielding smuggler just works better for me than a dual-saber wielding Jedi.

I also find range easier to play than close combat. Just played a guardian through the Knight class story again and while I certainly can not say that it was "difficult" (zero deaths), it was clunky for me.

I used to be Watchman for Ops, Concentration for PvP. I recently learned the Combat spec for sentinel. So fun! Combat is simple, elegant, high damage, and FAST. Because I have to be purely focused on what I'm doing, it's perfect for a brain that's easily distracted by squirrels.... SQUIRREL! Edited by Rion_Starkiller

There really is no question that ranged is the better preforming currently [ sadly ], if you are mainly concerned about a top preformer, ranged is the better route.

That's not to say marauders aren't excellent at putting out the pain, they can still wreck havok, it's just that it's more difficult to put out the top numbers as a melee in this meta and has a higher skill cap overall to use the class to it's potential. All things considered, range is easier to play as well. - That's not to say that Sniper/Gunslinger dont have high skill sets needed for optinal performance, they simply have more going for them currently and they dont have as many concerns to consider as melee do. 5.0 Is the Era of Ranged for sure.

That said, a skilled Sent/Marauder can be a terrifying opponent more than capable of enviable destruction and can carry his own weight for sure. As a long time player of a Carnage Marauder, all I can say is that even in this range heavy meta, I have never once considered switching to a ranged class. Sents/Maras can still bring the house down and are a blast to play once you really get your hands around the class.

Playing what you enjoy the most is always the best way to go, If you love what your playing you will do better with it than you would with the runner up choice in most instances. Trust your gut. Best of luck to you.

Playing what you enjoy the most is always the best way to go, If you love what your playing you will do better with it than you would with the runner up choice in most instances. Trust your gut. Best of luck to you.

QFT ... well said mate...

Dirty fighting gunslinger is my favorite. Healer is Scoundrel. Tank is VG

This is me too. My slinger is a mirror of my sniper and gets all the gear hand me downs. That's the cool thing about Galactic Command. I've geared up a Merc/Commando that way as well. I'm biased towards ranged.

This is me too. My slinger is a mirror of my sniper and gets all the gear hand me downs. That's the cool thing about Galactic Command. I've geared up a Merc/Commando that way as well. I'm biased towards ranged.

I have a lot more characters, but I cant agree about GC, because that is the main reason I stopped playing anything but my 3 mains. And even that is annoying because I used to dual spec my VG and Scoundrel, but doing that now is too much of a pain.

For PvP, for highly skilled players, Sentinels and Gunslingers are the top, if played well. Both are survivable and super nasty. Both take considerably more skill than Commandos to play well but will crank out the kills. That said Commandos are up there too, but are far, far easier to play.

At more median skill levels, Commandos are far more survivable than Sentinels; in fact they are far more survivable than Vanguards or Guardians too, which is why everyone wants them nerfed. On paper they are more survivable than slingers too, but a skilled gunslinger is extremely hard to kill.

I play all of these as alts but I main a Jugg, and when fighting pubs it's the slingers and sents that I worry about.

Edited by stoopicus

There really is no question that ranged is the better preforming currently [ sadly ], if you are mainly concerned about a top preformer, ranged is the better route.

This was what I was gonna suggest. Slingers are currently the top, mainly Dirty Fighting, but at least Watchman Sents aren't too far behind (if you like the sustained DPS of DoTs). It's been a while since I played a Sentinel, amd I've only played each AC to around 50ish, so I don't have the greatest knowledge. You'll mainly running more often as a melee, but most of your abilities are instant, so that balances out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.