BioWare Austin is working on a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic prototype

IshtarScorpio

According to the article:

BioWare Austin, the studio behind the currently running MMO The Old Republic, is apparently working on a prototype of some sort for a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game.

The information comes from Liam Robertson, a journalist with a proven track record whom you may recognise by the pseudonym Unseen64.

During a recent podcast (available through his Patreon page), Robertson said that BioWare’s Austin studio is now “exclusively” working on Star Wars games.

Among these projects is a remake, or possibly re-imagining, of the classic Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic RPG. “I don’t know when this is set to come out, but it has been in development for a little while now,” he said, as transcribed by SW Game Outpost.

“I’ve heard that it isn’t exactly a remake anymore, but it started as a remake/revival. Now it’s kind of going from that blueprint in sort of its own original thing. I guess we’ll see what that turns out to be, but they are prototyping it right now,” he revealed.

Robertson did not quote any inside sources, but he did mention that the game would incorporate the new Star Wars canon.

Well, if it is like the last couple of "super secret" things they have been doing in Austin... it won't see the light of day, as it won't pass play test at prototype, will get shelved, and resources reallocated.

I know topics like this are popular for some, but really, unless/until they make an actual reveal at one of the major trade shows.... why are you guys falling for the "Lucy And The Football" routine yet again?

Edited by Andryah

YAY!!! Maybe they can bring Revan back again...who doesn't love Revan right? It's not like we've had more than enough of his Godlike abilities...maybe they can put him to sleep for 2,700 years and then have him help Luke beat Darth Vader and the Emperor, since they're obviously weak punks compared to his abilities.

Well, if it is like the last couple of "super secret" things they have been doing in Austin... it won't see the light of day, as it won't pass play test at prototype, will get shelved, and resources reallocated.

I know topics like this are popular for some, but really, unless/until they make an actual reveal at one of the major trade shows.... why are you guys falling for the "Lucy And The Football" routine yet again?

I don't think you know how that analogy works. Simply posting for comment is a far cry from running around saying ZOMYGOD KNIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bringitbringitbringit.

Well this is one thing I do know having worked for TS2 which is probably the biggest Game developer head hunter out there, Bioware Austin has been bringing on and retaining more people since 2014, and all these people can't be working on SWTOR. The last time I was in the area last month I noticed their parking lot was jammed packed...so something is going on. And Bioware Austin is set up for Hardcore development, but that and five bucks will buy you a small flavored coffee at Starbucks....

Leaks of a new KOTOR having been in prototype for a couple of years gives pause to the future of this game in its current state. Especially with the latest marketing buzz surrounding 5.2 as SWTOR's return to its MMORPG roots.

/ shakesheadindisgust

Rebooting this game to 3.x but allowing groups to play through the story dialogues ... THAT is how this game returns to its MMORPG roots. That new separate KOTOR game (which is what Fallen Empire should have been) can take SWTOR's place as a single player RPG with a co-op end game so we founding Star Wars MMORPG fans can have our killer MMORPG back!

But then the alarm goes off an I wake up to this mess ...

Edited by GalacticKegger

Be prepared for the SJW character creation and awkward facial animation(s) that come with. ME:A fanbois/gals need not reply. :p

And this is exactly why I hope BioWare working on a remake of KOTOR never, EVER happens. Well, not just because of character creation, per se, but because they can't seem to keep real-world issues out of a sci-fi/fantasy game. I don't want to hear about how Juhani's mother tried to turn her straight using dark-side sorcery. I want to play a game where it's good vs. evil and my character plays a pivotal part in a galaxy-wide conflict. THE END.

(And yes I'm aware that didn't happen with Juhani [rather, Dorian from Dragon Age: Inquisition], I used it to make a point. Backstory conflict is all good and fine, but when it defines a character's...well, character, that's when it goes overboard. And knowing BioWare...it'd definitely go overboard.)

Ah well. The rumor's been debunked, and the only "remake" of KOTOR is...uh...well, an unofficial one. That I'm not sure how much we can talk about it here or anywhere because no one wants Disney to find out and possibly shut them down for arbitrary reasons (even though their "remake" is a graphics mod, not a complete overhaul of everything ever, story/voice acting/gameplay included).

Edited by Jagaimee