SWTOR's life.

JadenFlamearrow

Not to argue with you tux but back then there was at least 2 red maps of every planet up to Nar Shaddaa now when ever I log on starting planets barley have 25-45 people on them. while back then it didn't matter what time of day or night you logged on those planets were packed back during RoTHC. where are my sources? from my own EYEs and photo memory lol.

I 100% agree with you. I was disagreeing with the guy I quoted...he said it's busier now than it was then, which is flat out false.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also need to remember that there are two primary revenue sources for this game, the subs and the cartel market.

If populations are declining, we could assume people are no longer playing and suspended subs.

Fair enough. But what percentage of the overall revenue of this game comes from the subs?

When a new cartel pack is released, I have typically dropped around $139.98 for new packs. If they did 10 new packs a year, that is around $1,400.00 annually as opposed to my monthly $12.99 sub, which totals $155.88 annually. I could be a totally atypical player and my experience not relevant, but I could easily see the cartel market driving revenue even more than the subs, given the huge difference in pricing. I am sure there are people out there that spend much more than I do on these packs. Some pay far less and some not a penny. No clue on the spreads and percentages there.

Also, just because people are not logging in, it doesn't mean their sub is terminated. I subbed in July of 2012 and have been subbed continuously. However, right after 2.0, I took a break from actively gaming, only logging in one or twice a week to check my mail and the cartel market. I was pretty inactive until a few months after 3.0 was released. I was still subbed though.

"The game is dying" has practically be thrown around for years. It's been overly used so many times it's at the point of the little boy who cried wolf. I'll believe it when and if it actually happens

Star wars is dying. It started to die the day they launched, it will hang around an indefinite time, no one knows how long. It could be like that death scene in buffy the vampire slayer. we could be 5 or 6 years waiting for it to finally kick the bucket. or it could keel over next week.

Star wars is dying. It started to die the day they launched, it will hang around an indefinite time, no one knows how long. It could be like that death scene in buffy the vampire slayer. we could be 5 or 6 years waiting for it to finally kick the bucket. or it could keel over next week.

this is basically my feelings towards the entire Star Wars franchise. I grew up with Star Wars when I was a kid. but like everything in childhood the magic is gone once you get out of childhood. sure SW is great and all, but the only way it will survive is if a younger generation feels that same magic as the ones who were born when it was "New" I mean after all how hyped can one get over, oversized glow sticks anyhow??

Bottom line now that Disney owns the Franchise is everyone is being Bombarded with SW. and in a sense with Rogue one it was great and all but look at the era of it and its target market... it basically tried to target the older generation to incorporate how we feel today? just my opinion heh.

I see people are calling me a liar and BSer because I said that SWTOR had fewer players before Rise of the Hutt Cartel than it does now. I am actually not pulling info out of my "A-hole" as one mentioned in a previous page. Do you seriously think that BioWare was on stand-by then while having a lot of money, unable to produce good content with all that money they had received from the millions of subs this game had at launch? I beg to differ. The game was in a dying state back then because it was buy-to-play and subscribe based module. Then they changed to free-to-play and subscribe module which we use to this day. When ROTHC launched it gave a little bolster to BioWare because people who still played and some returning players subscribed and bought the expansion.

Your logic in this thread is that SWTOR has way fewer players now, but is able to produce better content now than it did when it had a higher playerbase? That does not make any sense at all. I will try to serve this to you with a baby spoon, smooth and easily. The more players who play this game = the more money for BioWare = they produce better content and expansions for the game. It's as simple as that.

If BioWare had so damn much money then in comparison to now, how come they fired their whole PvP development team?

Basic math -- The more locations (worlds, chapters, flashpoints, conquests, etc.) they add to the game, the fewer people you will see in any one particular location. This doesn't mean the game is dying, it's just a side effect of the vastly larger world.

Basic math -- The more locations (worlds, chapters, flashpoints, conquests, etc.) they add to the game, the fewer people you will see in any one particular location. This doesn't mean the game is dying, it's just a side effect of the vastly larger world.

That's how you justify less and less people playing? You're convinced they're just spread out on more and more planets huh? I'm shocked that reality is that hard to comprehend by some.

I see people are calling me a liar and BSer because I said that SWTOR had fewer players before Rise of the Hutt Cartel than it does now. I am actually not pulling info out of my "A-hole" as one mentioned in a previous page. Do you seriously think that BioWare was on stand-by then while having a lot of money, unable to produce good content with all that money they had received from the millions of subs this game had at launch? I beg to differ. The game was in a dying state back then because it was buy-to-play and subscribe based module. Then they changed to free-to-play and subscribe module which we use to this day. When ROTHC launched it gave a little bolster to BioWare because people who still played and some returning players subscribed and bought the expansion.

Your logic in this thread is that SWTOR has way fewer players now, but is able to produce better content now than it did when it had a higher playerbase? That does not make any sense at all. I will try to serve this to you with a baby spoon, smooth and easily. The more players who play this game = the more money for BioWare = they produce better content and expansions for the game. It's as simple as that.

If BioWare had so damn much money then in comparison to now, how come they fired their whole PvP development team?

Hey MrBorsh how's it going? I think we are stating the same points, and people are arguing about the same thing? heh sorry I am confused. you are correct in the statement that they are not producing more content, back in the day we were promised a new operation every three months, that went poof after 4 months of that announcement. and yeah the idea of better content now every how often? totally agree that EA has squandered its loyal player's and milked this game. I hope this is what you are trying to say. I am still a bit confused.. heh :)

I guess ill take the fault of derailing this thread into what it has become. I was the first to question your speculative statement about the player base in this game back in its infancy vs now....so i will say one more thing and leave this thread to die,

You're still playing in your perfect world of more players, more money, more content. Its clear that hasnt been the case with swtor in a very long time. The content you speak of isnt in no way even the same type content. The content back in the period in question was mostly group content....no solo stuff. Im sure it took way more time and money to produce the content back then than all this solo garbage thats made now. BW had to take care of groups back then....not solo players. Again, where are the numbers to show the money they had, the players that were actually here...logged in the game...playing the content that existed then.

Its a different era now than back then. I just dont think the examples you are trying to back your claims with are justifiable. I will repeat what i stated earlier. You will never convince me that we have more players now than then. I just dont believe it. Ive been here since day one and trust me i dont see the crowds anywhere in this game that i saw back then.

I could go on, but im done here. I just hope the next time you recommend folks to try this game....to please just leave all your speculative opinions out of it.....because they just arent accurate at all.

/salute

That's how you justify less and less people playing? You're convinced they're just spread out on more and more planets huh? I'm shocked that reality is that hard to comprehend by some.

It's an objective fact that if you have the same number of players but more locations for them to visit, you're likely to encounter fewer players in any particular area. It's a subjective fact and pure guesswork that there are fewer players and lower server populations. Unless you care to post specific numbers?

During the 2012 server mergers, they said, "We have upgraded destination servers in order to support a significantly higher number of players. As of tomorrow, all characters on origin servers will be automatically moved onto the upgraded high population destination servers." So they're saying that they consolidated servers to make maintenance easier once individual servers were more powerful, not because there was a decline in the player population. (Source: http://www.swtor.com/blog/server-consolidation)

Granted there may be a few that come back solely to complain out of angst. On the flip side some spend tons of time on the forums blindly contradicting those very angst ridden posts with blind loyalty to a corporation. Irony being the Corporation would likely sell their defender to slavery for a tidy profit if it were only legal.

So I guess it all balances out...

Internet forums partly populated by reclusive and untraceable extremists ... huzzah! Edited by GalacticKegger