Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Changes to PVP CXP in 5.2?

ViciousFett

So according to the last Dev stream CXP amounts are being reduced, but CXP for mob kills are being brught back up to compensate. What about PVP? There are no mobs in warzones....:rolleyes:

You'll have to play 5 warzones to get a worthless pack which has 1% chance to contain a gold item. Sounds good?

At this point I am thinking any full time PvP player should really just move to another game. Hybrid players might still have a good time sure but PvP is in a bad place and the fix is super simple...but they seem aware and chose to break it further.

Set the bolster in WZ's to match current max tier gear....period.

World PvP is kind of a hybrid play style and if you want that then build your set or run in packs...seems reasonable. Not to mention the new daily area has taken that on by adding walkers etc in the mix to even the gear field in that area....we will see how it scales though...

When they actually tuned the bolster down in WZs they literally shot PvP through the heart by way of thinking PvPers will stick around longer to gear...My advice is to bail its not worth the suffering if you are a competitive PvP player.....

If you are casual...then meh no biggie taking a beating you likely would anyway....

current game meta is clearly in favor of hybrid players.

PvP components are highly inefficient by themselves, but getting 236 (or soon 242) from HM ops and upgrading them to 242 (or soon 248) with components is an extremely effective method to gear. But yes it means doing ops.

Tbh we'll see what the "new crates drops percentage" are like, but for 5.0 and 5.1, I cannot say my main gearing came from them. I got my 6 piece bonus on my sin in T3 with components when they came out.

So CXP by itself? Pretty worthless.

One point of clarification from the stream, Charles mentioned the ability to purchase Tier 1 gear with Command Tokens. This is something we plan to implement in a future update but it is not in 5.2. Charles says "I am a rogue agent and I cannot be stopped."

Thanks everyone for tuning in!

-eric

looks like we wont get tier 1 gear with command tokens in 5,2 either. :mad:

looks like we wont get tier 1 gear with command tokens in 5,2 either. :mad:

Yeah it's difficult for me to understand why they are not moving at a faster pace with these changes. They seriously need to drop this directive related to slowing the population gearing to a crawl. I get slowing it to a degree to create a time bubble for development "breathing room" sure.

Unfortunately that is completely irrelevant if you are losing your player base as a result.

I think Bioware is seriously underestimating how they should respond to the situation and may not ever understand that until at the very least a full recovery is no longer realistic.

It's too depressing to think about. If gearing becomes even worse than it is now and Bolster doesn't close the gap, then pvp at lvl 70 or ranked just isn't fun. Pvp should never be about gear, it should be about skill. Having gear gaps because some people can get gear drops and others can't only creates resentment and also trolling.

If all you want to do is have fun and not have to worry about gear, the only outlet is roll an alt, lvl to 70 in pvp. Delete the alt and roll another. While skill is all over the place sub lvl 70, it's not really that much different in lvl 70 at the moment because of all the instant 60/65 rolls and people not having a clue about their classes.

It's too depressing to think about. If gearing becomes even worse than it is now and Bolster doesn't close the gap, then pvp at lvl 70 or ranked just isn't fun. Pvp should never be about gear, it should be about skill. Having gear gaps because some people can get gear drops and others can't only creates resentment and also trolling.

If all you want to do is have fun and not have to worry about gear, the only outlet is roll an alt, lvl to 70 in pvp. Delete the alt and roll another. While skill is all over the place sub lvl 70, it's not really that much different in lvl 70 at the moment because of all the instant 60/65 rolls and people not having a clue about their classes.

This isn't viable either since the skill level in lowbies/mids is on average much worse and it isn't fun beating on new players. Also, the balance is very different in mids and often you are fighting people who don't even have their main abilities.

The only reasonable fix that would keep bw happy (people would still want to grind) is to have bolster within 4 levels of max at all times. 4 levels is still a decent gap in terms of ranked and would still promote grinding but it wouldn't be too much.

Bolster could be adjusted to fix all gear deficits at all levels... It really could. Problem is Bioware seems to think its fun for people to have some degree of gear deficit... They said as much when they dropped the 70 bolster down further and actually broke it in my opinion.

The PvP issue is straight up Bioware wants it how it is... No more, no less. It's never been that they can't dial it in to make an even playing field for every bracket...It's that they don't want to...Bioware does not want an even playing field in WZs for all players.

Kinda seems like maybe they think getting steamrolled by a gear deficit will motivate people to grind more gear? I guess...No idea actually.

Edited by Soljin

The PvP issue is straight up Bioware wants it how it is... No more, no less. It's never been that they can't dial it in to make an even playing field for every bracket...It's that they don't want to...Bioware does not want an even playing field in WZs for all players.

Perhaps they are hoping we will fight and bicker amongst ourselves, and forget to place the blame at their doorstep. If so, I guess they are partly successful.

Perhaps they are hoping we will fight and bicker amongst ourselves, and forget to place the blame at their doorstep. If so, I guess they are partly successful.

My guess is that Bioware views WZ's as an opportunity to motivate people to participate in the GC gearing system.

Raising Bolster to Max tier and leveling the playing field will remove that motivation, so they wont do it. By lowering the bolster ceiling once already in 5.0 they have basically confirmed that much.

Lowbies is just probably ignored as a low priority...Not many complaining about it "Loudly".

Problem is they have completely missed the spirit of the SWToR community where PVP is concerned. PvP players want a 100% skill based competition and that is in direct conflict with Bioware's interests (only because they seem to be missing what has happened vs. what they wanted to happen).

Edited by Soljin

I tend to agree. What boggles me though is why Bioware doesn't want anybody to do max level PvP anymore, because that is what will result.

My guess is that Bioware views WZ's as an opportunity to motivate people to participate in the GC gearing system.

Raising Bolster to Max tier and leveling the playing field will remove that motivation, so they wont do it.

You may be right about Bioware's motivation, but they are wrong. If bolster was moved to max gear, PvPers would still happily work towards gearing so they can do the other content in the game and for the fun of gearing, but the way it is now, they've polluted the pvp ranks with a bunch of people who do not care about trying to win and are there just to finish dailies/weeklies for gearing. And they have made it so that PvPers can have no fun anymore as the skill component has been deemphasized. We want skill vs skill in pvp, not gear vs gear.

All of which wouldn't be so bad if it would take a couple weeks to fully gear BiS in PvP, but it would take the average casual player 27 years to gear up all mains and alts, no-one will even try. I agree with Icy, 70 pvp is dead, best to just play low/mids and delete char and start again. Maybe 6.0 will bring top level pvp and alts back into the game.

You may be right about Bioware's motivation, but they are wrong. If bolster was moved to max gear, PvPers would still happily work towards gearing so they can do the other content in the game and for the fun of gearing, but the way it is now, they've polluted the pvp ranks with a bunch of people who do not care about trying to win and are there just to finish dailies/weeklies for gearing. And they have made it so that PvPers can have no fun anymore as the skill component has been deemphasized. We want skill vs skill in pvp, not gear vs gear.

All of which wouldn't be so bad if it would take a couple weeks to fully gear BiS in PvP, but it would take the average casual player 27 years to gear up all mains and alts, no-one will even try. I agree with Icy, 70 pvp is dead, best to just play low/mids and delete char and start again. Maybe 6.0 will bring top level pvp and alts back into the game.

Up until this go around I was 90% PvP... Coming back after 2 months un-subbed I think I will likely only do my dailies/weekly and then whatever else catches my attention.

It's simple concept which monetization has made very complicated for developers... In the past developers had to worry about how to make games fun for players....Players in turn paid their subscription and the relationship went well.

Then WoW hit and large money companies that create nothing but fund everything turned their eyes on MMOs and then gaming as a whole.

Now there is a direct conflict of interest between players and the developers as a result. Players want fun, deep and advanced games and developers are trying to find ways to do that and meet certain expectations for monetization...

These two concepts do not blend well and that is what has happened with SWToR imo.

Make no mistake... the worst thing to ever happen to gaming and MMO's specifically is that WoW made the industry appear highly lucrative.

Edited by Soljin

So according to the last Dev stream CXP amounts are being reduced, but CXP for mob kills are being brught back up to compensate. What about PVP? There are no mobs in warzones....:rolleyes:

What did I miss?

From the 5.2 patch notes:

-The new base rate is slightly lower than the adjusted rate from the Command XP event

-The 100% Command boosts, both from the vendor and Cartel Market now work at all Command ranks.The base Command Experience rate has been greatly increased.

Are you thinking we'll get lower CXP because we'll get fewer medals with the changes? With the 100% command boost working on a higher base rate for CXP, we should see at least the same amount of boxes, but we'll likely see more if we use a boost. And, the higher your rank, the higher chance of a good drop.

Am I too optimistic?

I do not see any reason why in PvP every single piece of gear not being bolstered to level 248.

I agree... unfortunately, BW's primary concern is to keep us grinding. That means, they can't allow you access to min/max without having to grind.

Also unfortunate, they seem to think that bolstering to 10 item levels below min max is "sufficient" for competitive pvp gameplay.

I agree... unfortunately, BW's primary concern is to keep us grinding. That means, they can't allow you access to min/max without having to grind.

Also unfortunate, they seem to think that bolstering to 10 item levels below min max is "sufficient" for competitive pvp gameplay.

I went to bed last night and woke up this morning mad at your sorc. I've never been neutered by sorc healer the way you neutered me in VS. You had me so worked up, and our team was so blah, I didn't care about wz objective. You became my objective. LOL. Kudos.. You're exceptional, and I'm looking forward to harassing you again soon.

This isn't viable either since the skill level in lowbies/mids is on average much worse and it isn't fun beating on new players. Also, the balance is very different in mids and often you are fighting people who don't even have their main abilities.

The only reasonable fix that would keep bw happy (people would still want to grind) is to have bolster within 4 levels of max at all times. 4 levels is still a decent gap in terms of ranked and would still promote grinding but it wouldn't be too much.

Bolster worked fine till they nerfed it. The only reason was to make the gear grind actually matter and make people grind for it.

They just have no clue about pvp or how it should be played. Skill vs skill, not gear vs gear vs skill. I can't believe I'm about to say this because 6 months ago I would have argued vehemently against it. But at this stage I'd be happy if they just removed gearing altogether for Pvp, gave everyone the same stats when you entered. Obviously that isn't ideal, but it would take us back to skill vs skill.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.