Warning to Potential Buyers: the Facts about SWTOR.

Gashers

My problem is its bugs that where brought up months ago..... bioware is a big company with millions to throw at swtor yet these things still exist for a Triple AAA game developer?

Because fixing something (that may or may not be broken according to the devs) is as easy as flipping a switch.

:rolleyes:

And 2 weeks now and no fixs?

I want everything and I want it now. I have no clue what it takes to debug and/or fix issues in software.

I think everything is a super easy fix and they can just *poof* it into getting fixed.

They already announced new content which is like a slap in the face for most as most aren't even 50

Because new content is a bad thing right?

I mean we would WANT people to hit 50 and then have no plans for, or be ready to launch new content.

Right?

and theres some big issues and bugs that aren't being resolved in a timely manner, know what I mean?

Implying they can not do more than one thing at a time and that the bug testers and fixes team is the same as the new content team. :rolleyes:

And i was just mad about the rejection of server forums its like umm k this is an mmo... so we cant post guild stuff in server forums and discuss things with our servers community? really guys?

Boo-hoo

I just expected more

I want a Ferrari on a mustang budget.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a warning to anyone who is considering buying SWTOR. Here are some things you should know about the game before you drop $60.

Starships. So misleading. Sorry, but you don’t actually get a starship. All you get is a flightpath from planet to planet that has the appearance (not functionality) of a spacecraft. You can’t control your ship manually at all. It just shoots a straight line through the galaxy and all you can see are blurred stars out the window. Want to actually CONTROL your starship? Nope, sorry. Want to FLY your starship? Nope, not happening. As if to apologize for this, BW has offered “space missions.” These also are just teases. You don’t even get to control where your ship flies in the space missions. Your ship is on “invisible rails” and all you can do is tell it to shoot. And the goofy enemy AI ships just fly right in front of you for you to shoot.

These are legitimate complaints.

17 planets. Yeah…sorry, not quite. These “planets” are approximately the size of Elwynn Forest. It’s not like you can circumnavigate a planet and land your ship where you choose. Each “Planet” consists of 2-3 planes that you can walk across in about 4 minutes. Yay for being able to walk across your planet in 4 minutes.

Odd. I could've sworn I was seeing complaints of doing nothing but walking around for 10 minutes+ during missions.

No flying mounts, not even at max level. NEVER. The reason why is obvious. When each “planet” is the size of Elwynn Forest, being able to actually fly would put them in perspective and show the really quick.

Why in hell would we have flying mounts? Just because they're in WoW does not mean every MMO thereafter has to have them.

Your character is a wimp. Unless you have a companion with you who gets in the way and prevents you from clicking where you need to, you’re going to get owned by the mobs.

Speak for yourself, mate. I can take on mobs that are anything up to 2-3 levels above my character, quite often 2 or 3 at a time, unless it is Elite or Champion mobs, without my companion.

No damage meters or other addons or any sort of customizable UI. This translates into no legit endgame. No way of quickly seeing who the fails are in your group.

If you need an addon to tell you who's failing in your group, or to have a 'legit endgame', then this is not the game for you. This game actually requires you to actually pay attention to what's happening on-screen and at least have a modicum of skill.

No LFG. All you see in chat is LFM and LFG spam. By the way, all chat is pretty terrible. Barrens chat x10.

Utter bull, at least on my server. Check your Social Window for some LFG options.

No dual spec.

Not needed.

No achievements.

And?

No searching the auction house.

Wrong. The search that's there could be improved, but there is actually one there.

Ability animations and cooldowns don’t sync.

I hit the button/key/icon to set off my character's ability, my character starts performing that ability. What, precisely, is 'not synced'?

No day/night cycles on planets. No swimming. Spaceship improvements not visible. No target of target. Can’t sit in chairs

Congratulations, you've finally managed to find a few more legitimate complaints.

or even target most NPCs.

The only NPCs I've found I can't target are NPCs that I wouldn't ever have a reason to target. I can target every PC and NPC that I would actually ever need to target and some that I wouldn't.

They’re just as inanimate as the walls and floors.

Yeah, because no MMOG before this one has ever had any NPCs that are simply there for effect, and are otherwise totally irrelevant. That was sarcasm, by the way.

Game has a single-player feel

Utter bull.

because the servers are split into smaller servers. This is called “sharding”. Literally. There are like 3 different instances of Korriban per server.

You do realise that this happening is actually in no way unusual in MMOGs? Just because WoW didn't have it does not mean every MMO from then on out has to follow suit.

All characters look pretty much the same (all humanoid with slight cosmetic differences)

Well, by those standards, I guess all the races from WoW are 'pretty much the same'. And the races from EQ/EQ2. And the races from STO. And the races from Rift. And FFXI. And FFXIV. And UO. And SWG. Need I go on, or do you get the point?

and no gear appearance customization.

Correct. Instead of taking gear with good stats and changing how it looks, you take gear with good looks and change its stats using mods of various types.

When you’re walking around the imperial fleet, all the characters will look nearly identical.

No more so than any other MMOG I've played.

No target of target.

Wow!!! Another actually accurate complaint.

Light/dark choices are pointless. If you answer each one true, you’ll be stuck somewhere in neutral, which gives no rewards.

Maybe according to how you're playing your character. Not according to how I'm playing mine.

The only way you get benefits is if you answer all dark or light choices, so it’s not much of a choice at all.

Neutral rewards are something that is being planned.

Voice acting gets so old. The characters are extremely chatty and it’s not rare to get conversations lasting 5-7 minutes. If you’re the type of player who actually wants to play and not watch a movie, this game isn’t for you.

In case you didn't notice, this is an MMORPG. That stands for Massively Multiplayer Online ROLE PLAYING Game. An important part of any decent role playing game is telling the story properly. This is what is happening in the cutscenes and conversations you so despise.

No option to skip the conversations either.

Bull. Try hitting Space.

In conclusion, this game feels like it’s still in the first month of Beta and they never took the advice of one single beta tester. It seems like they put all 300 million dollars into creating the story and voice acting, while leaving out all the basic MMO improvements that have developed in the last 5 years.

What you actually mean is that Bioware, instead of aping WoW, decided to make their own game - and you're disappointed because you expected WoW with lightsabers.

Edited by Zmidponk

zoofar

Starships. So misleading.

Not misleading, been known.

False.

You do need your companion most of the time.

False.

No LFG. (as in LFG-tool)

TRUE.

False, try the social window.

Can’t sit in chairs

False.

The only way you get benefits is if you answer all dark or light choices,

TRUE

So far 12 true, 1 false, 2 grey

Oh noes, choice and consequences.

The other "issues" are not really issues at all.

Edited by titanmike

Mostly It's true.

Could have summed it up a little nicer though.

Basically, If you like the KOTOR linear story play style ( nothing wrong with that ), you will probably enjoy the game quite a bit.

If you're looking for a ground breaking MMO with open worlds to explore, you're going to be very disappointed. ( nothing wrong with that as well. )

This.

This game can't be all things to all people. Some are really going to enjoy it! Some are looking for something different. No biggie. What's really interesting to me is how upset it makes some folks when they figure out they don't enjoy the gameplay.

Because fixing something (that may or may not be broken according to the devs) is as easy as flipping a switch.

:rolleyes:

I want everything and I want it now. I have no clue what it takes to debug and/or fix issues in software.

I think everything is a super easy fix and they can just *poof* it into getting fixed.

Because new content is a bad thing right?

I mean we would WANT people to hit 50 and then have no plans for, or be ready to launch new content.

Right?

Implying they can not do more than one thing at a time and that the bug testers and fixes team is the same as the new content team. :rolleyes:

Boo-hoo

I want a Ferrari on a mustang budget.

Hope your not serious with your post because its very ignorant. They had a ferrari budget but made a mustang.

And no coding isn't easy this is where the years of dev time comes in and now days its expected that basic graphical features are already coded in not oh we launch in 5 months guess we better get the devs working on that AA, textures and shadows lmao.

Your reply was nothing but a insulting mockery dont bother posting if you cant even do it without mocking someone to make an invalid point.

And its not a I want it now attitude Its a why isn't this being done in a timely manner as right after you qouted your chosen words from me I said I wonder meaning I wonder when it will be done it was not a I want it now attitude it was a why isn't it being fixed its a big issue for most.

What you actually mean is that Bioware, instead of aping WoW, decided to make their own game - and you're disappointed because you expected WoW with lightsabers.

Perfectly said.

What the whiners are complaining about is they can't rush to 80 spend 25.00 on a flying Bantha mount and put the Death Star on farm. :rolleyes:

IT ISN'T THAT KIND OF MMO.

Hope your not serious with your post because its very ignorant

Well for what its worth, I think you are presenting the ignorance.

They had a ferrari budget but made a mustang.

Examples, how do I into them?

And no coding isn't easy this is where the years of dev time comes in and now days its expected that basic graphical features are already coded in not oh we launch

Bugs, what are they?

Your reply was nothing but a insulting mockery dont bother posting if you cant even do it without mocking someone to make an invalid point.

The mockery was when you overlooked all the times you got proved incorrect.

want it now attitude it was a why isn't it being fixed its a big issue for most.

I am glad you know they are NOT working on it.

Edit.

5mins to 5.

See ya!

Have a great day.

Edited by titanmike

Perfectly said.

What the whiners are complaining about is they can't rush to 80 spend 25.00 on a flying Bantha mount and put the Death Star on farm. :rolleyes:

IT ISN'T THAT KIND OF MMO.

Thats not what people are complaining about you guys try and make it all about wow... its about mmo's in general.

And swtor didn't do what many mmos are doing not just wow lol.

People are upset over many things with this game stop picking out the wow parts to make a arguement.

Well for what its worth, I think you are presenting the ignorance.

Examples, how do I into them?

Bugs, what are they?

The mockery was when you overlooked all the times you got proved incorrect.

I am glad you know they are NOT working on it.

Edit.

5mins to 5.

See ya!

Have a great day.

Read back a few posts/pages I posted the bugs already. Again this is why i said your ignorant (uninformed).

OP obviously hasn't gotten to Tatooine yet if he claims each planet is the size of Elwynn Forest. Voss is probably quadruple the size of Hyjal, to put it in perspective with WoW.

That said, the endgame sucks. I probably won't last long unless they add significant amounts of endgame content in the next content patch.

Edited by Lord_Itharius

Thats not what people are complaining about you guys try and make it all about wow... its about mmo's in general.

And swtor didn't do what many mmos are doing not just wow lol.

People are upset over many things with this game stop picking out the wow parts to make a arguement.

I will when the trolls stop screaming about damage meters and LFD ; your entire "OH the Bugs" is farcical you claim to know what was going on in beta. What was your forum name? Because it obviously isn't this account.

If the Mythic employees that got brought over from Dark Age of Camelot when Bioware and Mythic merged

would add ability to /stick and /face and bind them to keyboard that would help a TON, and all the other targeting ablities Dark age of camelot had

such as /assist you click on your group's main assist and hit the assist key and you instantly target whoever your main assist targets. Great for pvp assisting groups.

/stick and /face bindable to keyboard...

swtor don't even have those abilities

but they are very minor and I can wait but I soooo want /stick /face and /assist keyboard bindings. PLEASE

You have to take each game for what it is

Not what you thought it could of, should of or would of been.

Understand that

WoW will be WoW

SWG will be SWG

And that

TOR is TOR

This a million times this.

Judge what is IN the game not what you thought should be in.

I get tired of hearing 'This game doesn't have this, that game does so this game just isn't up to par.' just play the frackken game and judge what is in the game.

This a million times this.

Judge what is IN the game not what you thought should be in.

I get tired of hearing 'This game doesn't have this, that game does so this game just isn't up to par.' just play the frackken game and judge what is in the game.

It is just complain for complaining sake because these very same trolls will scream this and in the next breath lament the fact that Bioware didn't innovate enough; it is just beyond ridiculous. :rolleyes:

My problem is its bugs that where brought up months ago..... bioware is a big company with millions to throw at swtor yet these things still exist for a Triple AAA game developer?

I understand quest bugs and things like that but having the core just broken at launch and textures missing is just mind blowing tbh from a company like bioware.

And 2 weeks now and no fixs? Their first patch was a joke.... most of the stuff that was fixed is still actually broken lol. I mean its like what the heck get it together over there.

we are going on week 3 I wonder if any of the thing will be fixed then..... I wonder if they will even be fixed within a month.

They already announced new content which is like a slap in the face for most as most aren't even 50 lol and theres some big issues and bugs that aren't being resolved in a timely manner, know what I mean?

And i was just mad about the rejection of server forums its like umm k this is an mmo... so we cant post guild stuff in server forums and discuss things with our servers community? really guys?

I just expected more from a company that has been making top games for years now I guess. And had a budget of hundreds of millions at its disposal.

The first part of this is simply because you don't understand software development; which the majority of people around here do not so you are by far unique. To make it simple, bugs are EASY to find. They are hardly as easy to fix. Even ones that seem trivial in their effect, may be quite complex in their root causes. It isn't as simple as throwing more bodies at it, and it usually is more complex than dev A sits down and fixes it. There is a process with several facets. Not to mention the time post fix where it has to go through a testing process. It easily can take a couple weeks for 1 fix to go through triage, get analyzed, get addressed,get tested and get approved.

As for new content - one of the biggest reasons for many games initial failures has been lack of content at end game. Game companies for whatever reason have not learned that no matter how you make the leveling curve, players will far exceed your expectations and level much faster than you anticipated. There are many more 50s than you apparently realize, and many many more on the way quickly. The fact they are working on new content NOW means they at least recognize that and are doing something to handle that before it is far too late. That is a good thing; that shows good things about there intentions. You want them doing that.

As for expecting more out of a company that has been making top games - they have been making top single player games, not MMO's. Yes, they have Mythic developers now, but Bioware has not been in the MMO space. There is a lot that cannot be learned except through experience and that is what they are getting. Given that, they have done a pretty good job. Also remember they have 1 thing going against them, and that is the involvment of EA. EA has been behind 2 previous MMOs. One failed completely and is now gone (was gone within a year or so of it's release and was actually doomed from day one): Earth and Beyond. The other was Warhammer which is enjoying less than steller activity. They do have Lucasarts behind them, however that is a double edged sword as LA has as much chance of F'n them up as they do helping them out.

So - all that is to say, give them a break; they are up against a lot. However, as MMO's go (and I am talking over 2 decades of them) they have done a very good job and show promise - provided they get past a few hurdles. Only time will tell on those.

The server forums - no argument at all; not sure why they think that is a good idea.

And OPs list while not outright lies (well except for 2 of them) they are perception and opinion based on personal expectation. Not statements of facts and should not be treated or entertained as anything but.

AA, shadows that aren't broken, missing high res textures.

Global chat

working quests

working farm nodes (they fixed some but I have already found some still broken -.-)

server forums for community's to build on

chat's that actually work for guilds

pvp thats not lagged out to death or dc's people on joining

Theres more to that list but you get the point. Bioware may be a top company for SP games but they have failed to deliever on this game. With some pretty big issues with no menchon of when they will be fixing them.

All of these things were brought up in beta and all of them still aren't in the game lol.

Those are some pretty big bugs to just be ignored.... but then again when you have to launch for christmas to boost sales I can see how those just didn't get fixed.

It is kind of funny that all of your complaints have not affected the fun I am having with this game.

I like the graphics and do not pay attention to shadows or missing textures.

Global or Guild Chat. I am not in a guild and would never care to speak in global chat anyways. I actually turn off my chat unless I am looking for a group.

I have never had any problems with quests up to 25.

I have found some nodes to not work. I agree there.

Server forums, most people who play MMOS do not even post or look at forums. I read the forums all the time but have never looked at a server forum before.

I am loving PVP and have not had any lag. I have only done warfronts and no world PVP.

I have not been DC'd once in my two beta weekends and on the first 45+ hours I have put into the game. I would get booted from WOW all the time.

All of your big issues seem to be minor inconveniences for some and other do not even care because the most important thing for me is fun. I am having a lot of fun in this game.