Reached GC Rank 300. No 242s.

mike_carton

<----Into tier II now, about the 55th level of almost complete garbage (I vendor blue or purple rep-tokens that I've max'ed, so I can't say it's completely useless, but even these are rare).

Pathetic, laughable, contemptible...And in this day and age, in this genre, with this IP, utterly inexcusable.

I'm done, man. 40-odd days time left, then /un-install. Aside from my every-few-months playthrough of the Mass Effect trilogy, I will never even look at anything with the BioWare name on it again.

That's it.

Even during the EVE-Online "Summer of Rage" (July 2011 --yes, I Was There) I never went from being genuine fan of a dev-studio to this level of total and absolute contempt. Seriously, how the Hell can one possibly even imagine, let alone actually manage to screw up this IP, this badly, this consistently?

You can put the StarWars logo on a nice, big, bag of fresh, warm, maggot-ridden dog-crap, and it would still sell like there's no tomorrow...But then happy-happy Durr-durr-Ware comes along and shows to anyone with eyes that they can't even get that right.

Seriously, I can't even...

How?

Edited by midianlord

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, no. I started playing about 2 weeks after TOR went live :p I just never got into PvP really until recently :p

Second, then I see the problem. You're all way to used to it being way to easy to be totally geared. Seriously, what did you even strive for before. No wonder people quit. They got all the gear and went "I have nothing to gain now" :p

If you assume the only reason people play is to get gear, then yes you are correct I assume. The point of getting better gear is so you can progress through content. Right now, it is impossibly to do progression raiding because there is no true defined way to get better gear. Gear is not the end goal, progression is the end goal. You just need the gear to do it, and by making it impossible to have a clear and defined way to actually get the gear that isnt completely based on RNG it means there is no progression

I would still like to understand what this RNG is though. :)

RNG: Random Number Generator. It's the programming algorithm developers use to "roll the dice" so to speak.

When you open a command crate the system rolls separate dice to determine slot, rarity (green,blue,purple,gold) and type if it's an earpiece, relic, or implant. To "win" you need to get the best rarity of the tier (purple for T1, gold for T2+), you need to get a piece for slot that you don't already have and in the case of earpieces, relics and implants you need the specific type you use.

As you accumulate pieces the probability of getting a repeat increases. This makes the ultimate odds of building a set appropriate for the content a team was progressing on ridiculously small.

Here's the thing: You've had some outstanding good luck while people who actually need the gear for the content they're running get greens or the same piece over and over again because their luck stinks and Ben's RNG loves to wave a giant middle finger at them.

RNG: Random Number Generator. It's the programming algorithm developers use to "roll the dice" so to speak.

When you open a command crate the system rolls separate dice to determine slot, rarity (green,blue,purple,gold) and type if it's an earpiece, relic, or implant. To "win" you need to get the best rarity of the tier (purple for T1, gold for T2+), you need to get a piece for slot that you don't already have and in the case of earpieces, relics and implants you need the specific type you use.

As you accumulate pieces the probability of getting a repeat increases. This makes the ultimate odds of building a set appropriate for the content a team was progressing on ridiculously small.

Here's the thing: You've had some outstanding good luck while people who actually need the gear for the content they're running get greens or the same piece over and over again because their luck stinks and Ben's RNG loves to wave a giant middle finger at them.

Thanks for all your explanations. I don't know how lucky I am because it's quite a grind. Now I'm about 226 and have only recieve three 242's. Most of my gold items came from Tier 2 so they are 236. I have no idea how to get components to trade my Tier 2 in for Tier 3.

I'm curious even more about this RNG if other crates such as the ones you get from Heroics effect your role on the command crate? Basically I want to know does everything we open effect the next RNG on a command crate or not. I hope this question doesn't sound so silly. Thanks again. :)

Edited by Savyl
typos

I figure I would post my stats, my toons rank and stats are below. Personally on both toons I feel that I have been moving up at a decent pace. I was in full tier pretty quickly other than set bonus but I pulled out mods/enhancements to do so. I didnt want for specific gear to match. Now as far as set pieces I had a mix of each tier but I actually expect them to be semi rare. The legendary pieces I expect to be extremely rare. I am an old school gamer. Before swtor I played swg from launch to end of game. To me I enjoy being able to collect rare items that seem to be unique. For instances back in swg you use to hunt down legendary attachments that made your character better. The day I looted a rifle speed +25/rifle accuracy +25 made my day. To me I look at legendary pieces from these crates the same way. To me I enjoy the hunt to make my character better. I am saving all my pvp unassembled to either I max out or i looted my other pieces already to hit my set bonus. Just dont want to purchase a 242 piece and then open a crate and get a 242. Another reason I enjoy this new GC system is because I geared this up by just playing the way I want. I choose not to do the grind as far as what gave the most cxp/hour to rank up the fastest. I just enjoyed the game the way I wanted to play and got crates to improve my gear in the mean time. I know if I didnt do it the way I did I would hate this system because I wouldnt of wanted to grind Vet Fractured for over and over. To me this beats standing on fleet waiting for a group to form for raids or spending time organizing raids. I still enjoy to raid but now I can still gear up another way by playing other forms of content I enjoy.

Pub -Rank 232 Unassembled-591 Imp- Rank 136 Unassembled 292

Ear-242 Ear- Crafted 240

Implant-240- crafted Implants-234/240- 240 crafted

Relic-234/240 crafted Relics-230/230- one is crafted

MH-240 crafted/240/240 from ripping mods out of other gear MH-240/230/230-barrel crafted

OH-240/240/240 OH-240/234/234-barrel crafted

Head-234/240/240-set Head-230/234/234-set

Chest-240/240/240-set Chest-230/234/234-set

Gloves-230/240/240-set Gloves-234/234/234

Belt-242/242-set Belt-234/234-set

Legs-240/240/240-set Legs-230/234/234-set

Boots240/240/240-set Boots-236/234/234-set

Bracers.-240/240/240 Bracers-234/234-set

Edited by Resputin

Thanks for all your explanations. I don't know how lucky I am because it's quite a grind. Now I'm about 240 and have only recieve three 242's.

You got 3 242s in 60 ranks which works out to a 5% drop rate. That is at the very top of the drop rate that has been hypothesized and there is anecdotal information (no hard data, of course) that a large number of people are experiencing a significantly lower drop rate including not receiving any 242s in over 150 GC ranks. But then, that is the nature of RNG.

Most of my gold items came from Tier 3 so they are 236.

That's not accurate. The 236 pieces drop only in Tier 2 (GC 91 - 180, inclusive)

I have no idea how to get components to trade my Tier 2 in for Tier 3.

There are posts by Eric Musco and patch notes for 5.1 that have the details. Dulfy.net has them in one place.

I have no idea how to get components to trade my Tier 2 in for Tier 3.

Unassembled Components come from participating in ground PvP matches and Galactic Starfighter. Base award favor GSF over PvP but I find ground PvP yields quite a bit more due to being able to hit the minimum number of medals to qualify for the bonus.

I'm curious even more about this RNG if other crates such as the ones you get from Heroics effect your role on the command crate? Basically I want to know does everything we open effect the next RNG on a command crate or not. I hope this question doesn't sound so silly. Thanks again. :)

Oi. No not silly at all. This is a rather complicated question to answer. The best short answer I can give you is: It shouldn't or if it does the effect is not at all significant.

Aside: Back in the day one of the recommended sources of randomness (aka entropy) were the low order bytes returned from a drive temperature reading.

Bascially don't sweat what opening those heroic crates will do to you. In the highly unlikely event they do have a noticeable effect it'll screw up the next poor sod that opens a crate.

My tally at rank 260 is three 242 chests (still good for mods) and one 242 shield amp relic. Also got 240 set leggings.

I've used my unassembled components to get a: 242 main hand, off-hand, relic, bracers, and chest (before reaching T3, so I have 4 total) all upgraded from 236.

That puts most of my gear at BiS, which I'm personally pleased with. I also have enough set armorings for a second pvp set, which is 90% self-crafted and 10% GTN, and some good schematics I used to cheaply get some 240 gear on my 2nd main.

You got 3 242s in 60 ranks which works out to a 5% drop rate. That is at the very top of the drop rate that has been hypothesized and there is anecdotal information (no hard data, of course) that a large number of people are experiencing a significantly lower drop rate including not receiving any 242s in over 150 GC ranks. But then, that is the nature of RNG.

That's not accurate. The 236 pieces drop only in Tier 2 (GC 91 - 180, inclusive)

There are posts by Eric Musco and patch notes for 5.1 that have the details. Dulfy.net has them in one place.

Hi, I had 2 typos in my original post;. sorry. I am rank 226 not 240 and also I meant to say that most of my gold came from Tier 2 and they are 236.. But I thought it was obvious since I also said I did not know how to convert them into tier 3. Thanks for explaining things though. :)

Heres the thing. If you want to play the game without disappointment every 30~ minutes, just gear through reliable means(ops and PvP). If you end up getting a create while doing those activities, open it expecting garbage. Open it ONLY for the tokens. It's just easier this way. You wont feel like your time was wasted or unrewarded.

This isn't @ the OP just @ people in general.

Edited by Radzkie

What's broken is that even with 5.1.2, Bioware *still* hasn't admitted/realized that the Disintegration Crates are actually the secondary gearing system that no one wanted to begin with,and that everyone really wants to just buy what they want from the component vendors.

Eventually even the Stockholm Syndrome victims will wise up. The big question is what BW will do when there's a bunch of people at or over 300 with scraps for gear. The component increases in 5.1.2 are a step in the right direction but are still far too small.

So now picture 5.2 dropping, people being in that situation, and BW saying "ok, great! Well, now here's some more grind, and the 350% event is over."

It's gonna be ugly.

So now picture 5.2 dropping, people being in that situation, and BW saying "ok, great! Well, now here's some more grind, and the 350% event is over."

It's gonna be ugly.

No need to picture it anymore. They just confirmed that there will be 100 more Galactic Command levels and new gear to go with them.

I have given up hope on 242s and am now preparing for 248s following the method I wrote up in post #85. Anybody with more or better ideas, do share. The questions now are:

1. Will 230s now be sold by vendors? Or will that still be 210s?

2. Do new 70 level characters have to go through 400 GC ranks?

3. Will the gear requirements for existing SM, VM and MM Ops be increased?

4. Will the gear requirements for other existing 70 level content be increased? Eternal Championship, Star Fortresses?

5. What's the impact on PvP where bolster is capped at 232 and new level 70s will be mixing it up with 248-clad pre-mades?

Edited by mike_carton

Only got as far as rank 128. Did really well on tier one as I got 5/7 different armour set items and artefact 230 on all but one of the rest. Had just 1, 234 rifle so far on tier 2, On my main. So far though had a set or other artefact gear approx. every 10 crates on my alts. However they are still all in tier 1. Yes have had many items twice. Over all I think I have had a lot of good luck, after reading some of the posts in this thread.

No need to picture it anymore. They just confirmed that there will be 100 more Galactic Command levels and new gear to go with them.

Yep just read that. I'm Excited™!

I have given up hope on 242s and am now preparing for 248s following the method I wrote up in post #85. Anybody with more or better ideas, do share.

I think your list is solid though I don't see the point of saving up crates. Elaborate?

5. What's the impact on PvP where bolster is capped at 232 and new level 70s will be mixing it up with 248-clad pre-mades?

They will have to raise the cap. Otherwise they kill PvP.

Yep just read that. I'm Excited™!

I think your list is solid though I don't see the point of saving up crates. Elaborate?

The stuff in the tier 3 crates (that I'm now getting) that has to be disintegrated. If I open the crates and disintegrate contents now, I get CXP that is "wasted." If I save the crates, open them after 5.2, and disintegrate their contents I will have that disintegration CXP contributing to my progress on the Tier 4 treadmill.

I have given up hope on 242s and am now preparing for 248s following the method I wrote up in post #85. Anybody with more or better ideas, do share. The questions now are:

1. Will 230s now be sold by vendors? Or will that still be 210s?

2. Do new 70 level characters have to go through 400 GC ranks?

3. Will the gear requirements for existing SM, VM and MM Ops be increased?

4. Will the gear requirements for other existing 70 level content be increased? Eternal Championship, Star Fortresses?

"exciting new gear rewards" so where did you get it will be new gear rank 248 instead of new gear like visual custom gear? Anyway logic way is, why would they increase GC cap by 100 lvls without providing new gear ranks. There are 2 options:

#1 - GC lvl cap to 400 without new gear ranks, total non-sense and sarcastic spit into players faces.

#2 - GC lvl cap to 400 with new gear ranks, why to support alts right? Also we didnt read feedback from veteran players, so we want to make you more angry about GC system and destroy this game (EA is planning new battlefront?).

Anyway this game is really fun! Cause i want to be efficient while im playing for getting higher and higher GC ranks, i must be prisoner of chapter 2 master mode :/ Any other game mode isnt that effective, thanks to 4500+ GC points per 7 minutes. Another 100 GC levels and i really have to buy new spacebar or keyboard (maybe option auto skip cutscenes?).

Edited by Chimeree

Here's somebody who got full 242s in 547 crates.

Actually, he got 7 pieces in those 367 tier 3 crates; the remaining 7 were from using components obtained through playing PvP in pre-made groups (to goose the win ratio) and GSF. Goes to illustrate the original post; the GC crates are not serving their purpose of being the primary source of gear, and PvP is an extremely grindy way to gear up.

Here's somebody who got full 242s in 547 crates.

Actually, he got 7 pieces in those 367 tier 3 crates; the remaining 7 were from using components obtained through playing PvP in pre-made groups (to goose the win ratio) and GSF. Goes to illustrate the original post; the GC crates are not serving their purpose of being the primary source of gear, and PvP is an extremely grindy way to gear up.

pretty much. I've never really used them as the main source, I've got seven 242's atm I've upgraded most all of them through components, some I've upgraded from tier 1. At this point, I now have to start buying t1 pieces and hope something i start working on upgrading doesn't suddenly drop a t3 right as i get to t2 lol. I'd be able to use all the extra pieces for alts, but still.

A somewhat reassuring post from Eric Musco from a short while ago today.

I'll believe it when I see it, at this point. But the post makes the right noises. I just hope "We want to make sure it feels rewarding to get higher in Command Rank/Tier" doesn't translate into a New Crate Opening Experience(™).

Edited by mike_carton

The problem is that even if it does improve drop rates, it still backloads the basic set bonus, now into T4.

They just don't get it.

Oh, they do get it all right. This is deliberate. They just bank on that they can get away with this and keep people running like hamsters buying CXP boosts. Because they are BW, and because most players will always play along. They may complain but they still buy. Look at most of the responses in this thread and the others about that topic. "Yes, I don't agree with it, BUT they are making things better, they have promised yadda yadda yadda just wait and see yadda yadda yadda eric thank you so much for listening yadda yadda you have to cut them some slack". As long as that attitude goes on, they will continue to do this. Simple as that.

They get it very well.

The problem is that even if it does improve drop rates, it still backloads the basic set bonus, now into T4.

They just don't get it.

actually i find that its the players that dont get it. BWs fault was when they turned 4.0 into ALTS-R-US and basically handing out gear. Like ive said in every post on the topic, GC gives you BONUS items... youre supposed to get BiS gear via PvP and PvE (Ops especially) ... those are the primary ways of getting gear (i.e. high end group content) which is right as it should be in an MMO. Now, if youre lucky you get some BONUS pieces along the way from GC... but that is all it is. They need to adjust the system... but its the players fault for thinking that is the main way of gearing... it is not...imho.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.