Snipers new FOTM??

Totemdancer

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More like they are still there and the Merc FoTM is dying down.

I've noticed more bad snipers/slingers recently. I was farming one guy last night. With a Jugg.

Match after match 4-5 snipers. Even if 2 are bad, the others carry them by destroying you all at once.

So are snipers now the new FOTM?

They seem to out number Mercs 3-1

They`re by far the best class since 5.0. Highest dmg. potential+best defensives+amazing utility.

The good thing is: They have a very high skill ceiling, so unlike merc, most rerollers wont be much of a threat. However those who know how to use this class potential....r.i.p melee

Well, ranged is stronger than melee at the moment. Mercs are strong but they are bound to be nerfed at SOME point. Snipers are the next strongest class with sorc dps currently lacking. Also the highest parses right now are slingers and snipers.

So the people with merc mains are hedging bets by gearing a sniper in case of nerf.

We are in a good position right now, but we require skill to use our class so do not worry about those who rolled em from a token! :) They won't be a threat to you, skilled players are however always a thread and I think on any class! Edited by AlCorazon

I have already made a thread about this way at start of 5.0 that Snipers were the hidden FOTM in PVP.

Sure, Mercs are OP but what makes they so favourite is the easy rotation and game play. Snipers have it better but are harder to play! So Snipers have been quiet till now as they surely fear nerfs (but they wont get them). A skilled Sniper can outmatch almost anything, the key is to know how to play one.

We are in a good position right now, but we require skill to use our class so do not worry about those who rolled em from a token! :) They won't be a threat to you, skilled players are however always a thread and I think on any class!

I beg to differ. I have a gunslinger who i can just roll over people with no issue. My Vanguard on the other hand, is pretty much dead in the water 99% of the time no matter how much effort I put in.

They def seem to be a little op. the fact the melee can't leap to them seems very stupid. how is their little portable turret stopping a jedi/sith from leaping to them? it makes no sense... just give them normal defenses so they can't face tank any melee and they'll be fine. prob with these guys and mercs is that they're ranged high dmg classes, and yet they have among the best defenses in the game. it def seems unbalanced.

Snipers are a bit ridiculous...can't leap to them, so you have to walk up them, get knocked back and rooted, walk back, get knocked back again, walk back, they roll away, you're rooted....all the while you're eating massive damage to the face. Even if you do finally catch up to them, they have tank like defenses and can't be interrupted.

Worse than mercs, imo.

slingers and snipers are very strong right now but mercs and commandos are superior in the hands of equal skill.

I was playing with both today and its a huge difference. The mobility and survivability that the merc has with its dps being within 3% of snipers is just way better. But probably merc will get an "adjustment" soon. Then who knows, but having heals and the ability to move around is just better. Especially in pvp. Snipers are not THAT OP and the thing about jumping to them is a non issue. Its their thing, cc resistance. Without it they couldnt be a viable class.Snipers weakness is dot class and LOS. They arent all that OP they are just good.

Snipers are the best dps class right now.

However, the idea of them requiring a lot of skill to play well is an exaggeration. The average player on any class isn't much of a threat and the same goes for sniper. In regs sniper is very easy to play and the skill softcap argument isn't valid.

What is different with snipers than some other classes is their arena performance. They have a higher softcap than some classes. You need to learn to survive while putting out decent dmg. It really isn't that hard to learn but until you learn it you will be almost worthless in ranked.

However, once you learn this they are about the same difficulty as any other class in ranked. Some classes need to go rather far past their softcap to be viable in ranked where sniper just needs to get to that softcap.

It is kind of like skiing and snowboarding. Snowboarding is more challenging to learn at first but is easier once you get the basics down. My first snowboarding trip I was falling constantly my first day but doing blacks rather easily by the end of my 2nd day but with skiing I was able to do greens the first time I tried but took awhile before I could easily get down blacks.

BTW, to any new snipers that are getting globaled and screwing up yolo, the best way to learn is do regs and in reg arenas ask your team to go in slowly and then (without telling them) run in to the middle of the other team. Your team will run in but the other team will likely focus you. Once you get to the point where you can both do decent dmg and you live long enough so that a couple players on the other team give up and decide to attack someone else you are now ready for solo ranked. Although please try a different strategy in ranked arenas :) .

Also, in the reg wz matches between arenas rush in solo or go to the offnode/etc. to practice there as well. Another tip is to find a GOOD operative to duel with often.

I have seen very best snipers getting diversioned, double stunned and globaled. To counter this you must learn to roll diversion which is by far not the easiest thing.

On merc you can just pop LOLreflect even if you screwed up the CC breaker.

In regs I'd say engineering is slightly OP but that's it.

Edited by DerSchneider

I have seen very best snipers getting diversioned, double stunned and globaled. To counter this you must learn to roll diversion which is by far not the easiest thing.

On merc you can just pop LOLreflect even if you screwed up the CC breaker.

In regs I'd say engineering is slightly OP but that's it.

Merc is extremely easy to play rather well (great players can still go way above this and some players still manage to fail somehow). We shouldn't compare class skill softcaps to merc since it would be like comparing the height of an ant to the heights of several different people :) .

I agree that snipers can get globalled but the same goes for the best operatives and even the best healing sorcs. **** can happen. However, to do well in most solo ranked matches you only need to get to the softcap I was talking about.

We are in a good position right now, but we require skill to use our class so do not worry about those who rolled em from a token! :) They won't be a threat to you, skilled players are however always a thread and I think on any class!

Your a DPS spec class your suppose to be and this applies to Merc's as well a glass cannon. High DPS potential coupled with High defenses equals the class(s) breaking trinity. Either Your a pure DPS spec or a tank spec. If merc's and sniper's insist on defenses staying as is fine, your now considered a hybrid class (DPS and Tank) and as such your DPS deserves to be reduced as you are NOT a pure DPS class anymore or a pure tank spec. to do anything other than this makes other pure DPS spec moot why play sin when i can play an I WIN sniper. Why play OP when I can play an I win Merc leading to queues filled with nothing but sniper's and merc's! (which is what we have currently!)

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

Snipers dont bug me, except for i have always been of the belief that melee should completely outclass ranged damage due to risk v reward mentality.

If i close on you, and you dont knock me away, it shouldnt just tickle you. Thats the problem with snipers and gunslingers right now, they are too strong defensively and outdamage melee

One or the other, never both.

Snipers dont bug me, except for i have always been of the belief that melee should completely outclass ranged damage due to risk v reward mentality.

If i close on you, and you dont knock me away, it shouldnt just tickle you. Thats the problem with snipers and gunslingers right now, they are too strong defensively and outdamage melee

One or the other, never both.

Yeah but one needs brains to utilize these things correctly, to spec the knockback after Penetrating blasts, 5 meteres extra cover pulse etc etc.. and timing the defenses is extremely important, trust me someone who rolled a sniper from a token will have a hard time perofrming well, however with Merc u require much less skill to start playing it at 65

saying "it takes a couple of weeks to learn the class, so it's not that bad" isn't a valid argument. merc and sniper have too much defenses for the highest dmg ranged classes in the game. you're playing an op char, get over it. it's not your awesome skill that's winning matches, it's the imbalance of the game. i might believe it's your skill when I see a powertech get top dmg in a wz, but i'm never going to believe it's just skill when most imps are only using 2 dmg classes (reps still seem to be playing everything, at least on harbinger. imps....vast majority just mercs, snipers, and a few sorc healers). you want ppl to think you have skill? use a melee class until they fix this crap :p p.s. I have a commando, lvl 65, full pvp 208s. I refuse to use him though because of this imbalance. Edited by Paratusin

saying "it takes a couple of weeks to learn the class, so it's not that bad" isn't a valid argument. merc and sniper have too much defenses for the highest dmg ranged classes in the game. you're playing an op char, get over it. it's not your awesome skill that's winning matches, it's the imbalance of the game. i might believe it's your skill when I see a powertech get top dmg in a wz, but i'm never going to believe it's just skill when most imps are only using 2 dmg classes (reps still seem to be playing everything, at least on harbinger. imps....vast majority just mercs, snipers, and a few sorc healers). you want ppl to think you have skill? use a melee class until they fix this crap :p p.s. I have a commando, lvl 65, full pvp 208s. I refuse to use him though because of this imbalance.

I am also using a Mara and a Sin ... and I still pull good dps, I just stand outside Snipers line of sight and watch my surroundings....to see where they are, minute you see that you are focused by them you get out. Both mercs and Snipers can be killed, stop hitting them during their heal to full phase and ull be fine... if ur gonna tunnel a merc when he is reflecting or healing from damage taken, well then yourself u need to l2p!

Edited by AlCorazon

I am also using a Mara and a Sin ... and I still pull good dps, I just stand in Snipers line of sight and watch my surroundings....to see where they are, minute you see that you are focused by them you get out. Both mercs and Snipers can be killed, stop hitting them during their heal to full phase and ull be fine... if ur gonna tunnel a merc when he is reflecting or healing from damage taken, well then yourself u need to l2p!

I have a sent and a shadow too. and usually i'm one of the top dps on my team with them. doesn't change the fact that snipers and mercs are op.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.