The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Would you stay if they reverted gear back to 4.x?

Lundorff

Lets say BW announced a complete removal of GC and a return to the previous system. Would that make you stay? We still got a long, sad list of problems:

• No match making
  • Poor match making in ranked
  • Dead servers / no merger / slow queues
  • No new PVP maps (and the last 2 are the most hated)
  • No balance amongst classes
  • Various bugs
  • Old maps are not optimized and updated to match mobility
  • Hacker and wintraders

Honestly, sometimes I feel that GC is merely a distraction, and the devs will drag out a revert to old for as long as possible, and people will cheer and applaud for getting a semblance of the old system back.

Lets say BW announced a complete removal of GC and a return to the previous system. Would that make you stay? We still got a long, sad list of problems:

• No match making
  • Various bugs
  • Hacker and wintraders

Honestly, sometimes I feel that GC is merely a distraction, and the devs will drag out a revert to old for as long as possible, and people will cheer and applaud for getting a semblance of the old system back.

I'm a weird freak who loves Odessen Proving Grounds- so that map's beloved for me, and I can't understand why people hate it but I'd love some new maps as well and agree there are some glaring issues. It would mean a lot to me if they reverted back post haste because it'd kill two birds with one stone. The PvE crowd would kindly frell off trying to farm warzones and we could get back to our usual contest where gear is little but an excuse for doing badly as opposed to being a very real reason there are issues.

I'm a weird freak who loves Odessen Proving Grounds- so that map's beloved for me, and I can't understand why people hate it but I'd love some new maps as well and agree there are some glaring issues. It would mean a lot to me if they reverted back post haste because it'd kill two birds with one stone. The PvE crowd would kindly frell off trying to farm warzones and we could get back to our usual contest where gear is little but an excuse for doing badly as opposed to being a very real reason there are issues.

I love it too. It actually requires you to think a little and CROSS FACTION!

Odessen is BY FAR the best wartype. But it isn't perfect. They should get rid of the ability to throw someone off the side, thats just a wimp move, if you want to fight lets go, otherwise go play tetris if you want to play alone.

We need more wartypes like Odessen in that they should all have:

1.) Cross faction - fixes the ENORMOUS IMBALANCE in 70s between pubs and imps. 50/50 chance to win? yes please. This is a must, or pvp dies because imp fighting imp all day while the pubs stop queueing is not what they are designed for. So anyone that says waaa, waaa, it doesn't fit the storyline for the old types to be cross faction is an idiot because imp vs imp isn't following the old storyline either.

2.) No interrupts on capture - The absolute dumbest part of some of the old wartypes is you stand looking at a door, or a pylon etc, not fighting mind you, just waiting to see if you get interrupted or not. Then some chump stealthy interrupts 8 ppl trying to cap but doesn't have the b@lls to come out and fight. Or a greatly superior team cannot cap because a slow constant stream of enemies come in and interrupt at last second. This is dumb, lets fight, no more standing around like idiots waiting to see if you get interrupted.

Now, to the OPs question:

The most important thing that 5.0 attempted to bring in was: PVP and PVE gear identical. No more made-up pvp only stat, no more gear that can only be popped by doing one or the other, no more having OPs pop the best gear patterns with no chance to get it from PVP. This lets pvpers join ops, and opsers to join pvp (this is a good thing for the future of the game)

So to simply revert back we lose the only good thing about the 5.0. Now, we agree I think that 5.0 messed up implementation of this great idea in that:

1.) It should only take 3 weeks to fully gear, otherwise PvPers will just stop playing.

2.) They got rid of 4 currencies with 5.0, YEA! But then replaced it with 3 more MUCH MORE complicated currencies and 50 new vendors, multiple ways to earn gear and whole semi-loads full of worthless junk in random chests that no-one wants.

Lets think of a way to fix 1 and 2 without losing the PvP=PvE gear and we are golden.

OPG confused the h*ll out of me at first, but it's one of my favorite WZs now. It's short and fast-moving, and the battle mods inject a lot of uncertainty in the outcome.

Back on topic, GC had me pretty demoralized at first, to the point that I stopped doing anything connected with it. 5.1.1 has changed that and I've returned to my usual playstyle. So, while I am still holding my final verdict until we see what 5.1.2 does on 2/28, for now I am cautiously optimistic.

They've taken a twisted, nonsensical route to get here, but the practical affect of the changes appears to be a combo of RNG with 4.0 gearing for end-game activities, albeit at a reduced rate from 4.0. Just how much reduction they are shooting for remains to be seen, but I'm holding judgment for now and getting back to the game.

OPG and Hypergates are my two favorite WZs. The most satisfying win I have ever had was in OPG, where we were getting pounded but there were two of us running mods and we came back from 0-300 for a 600-569 win.

Taking gearing back to 4.0 is like the holy grail. I'm staying either way, but yes, I would love to see a gearing rollback.

Edited by stoopicus

OPG and Hypergates are my two favorite WZs. The most satisfying win I have ever had was in OPG, where we were getting pounded but there were two of us running mods and we came back from 0-300 for a 600-569 win.

Taking gearing back to 4.0 is like the holy grail. I'm staying either way, but yes, I would love to see a gearing rollback.

Hypergate for me is YMMV, dependent on the team I'm on. As long as people aren't doing stupid things like death feeding/matching (on my healer I had to helplessly watch our sure win die because the two morons on our node were death matching while I was waiting to get back in and we lost the pylon. I should have just let them die and protected the damn pylon myself than sacrificing myself to keep them up since my escape was on cooldown), I'll suck up a losing warzone without hating it.

I think we were on the same team in Odessen Proving Grounds because I have a screenshot from that exact score and I was running mods like crazy and just trying not to give up- especially if you were the Juggernaut- they were the only player to score higher than me on objectives which I didn't mind because 'using mods properly' is essential and I love matches where I don't have to race to mods because everybody's head is in the game. Pity the lowbie match this morning on Begeren Colony (back up sever) was such a trainwreck. The other team wasn't that good- as a level 11 Sentinel, I was able to use a deactivate despite the Sorc and Merc/Commando and stay alive but my team had no idea- if you have an activate/score multiplier, you don't use them with five seconds left to go in a round.

Lowbies/mids fortunately are the only places I see anyone use a deactivate on our team's control point.

Edited by AllisonLightning

• No match making
  • Various bugs
  • Hacker and wintraders

I couldn't care less about cxp/rng - I'm contrary to a lot of people but I think they're a big part of what this game needs for long term retention of players. Having said that, my sub runs out in a couple weeks and I don't see myself sticking around past that. I've been here on faith and hope that balance issues would get addressed and dead servers would get merged but both of those things have just gotten much worse over the last year or two and BW isn't even talking about them. I believe that the only way to fix wintraders and matchmaking is with x-faction and larger servers/populations. BW isn't even trying.

The new system is going nowhere, now that the other shoe has dropped (cartel market 100% boost), its like when a store has a sale on a item, a month or so prior they jack up the price first. First Bioware puts in place a system that makes no sense, bad for all, way too long a grind, then they add in a system to basically "buy" better gear, or at least buy better gear faster, most people will be compelled to purchase these and boom, new revenue stream.

• No match making
  • Various bugs
  • Hacker and wintraders

More likely to stay for 4.x and some small changes, then stay for the current 5.x and continues changes of a bad system that will eventually end up as a 4.x clone.

The new system is going nowhere, now that the other shoe has dropped (cartel market 100% boost), its like when a store has a sale on a item, a month or so prior they jack up the price first. First Bioware puts in place a system that makes no sense, bad for all, way too long a grind, then they add in a system to basically "buy" better gear, or at least buy better gear faster, most people will be compelled to purchase these and boom, new revenue stream.

once again, you can buy these with command tokens as well. people should definitely have an abundance of tokens by now with the CXP speed up too.

I cant lie, I actually like command ranks/gearing. I semi-enjoy PvE, but the only way its worth doing for me is if it helps gear up for PvP. I've gotten into GSF and running some operations purely for the command perks, which would have never happened before 5.0.

I think we were on the same team in Odessen Proving Grounds because I have a screenshot from that exact score and I was running mods like crazy and just trying not to give up- especially if you were the Juggernaut- they were the only player to score higher than me on objectives which I didn't mind because 'using mods properly' is essential and I love matches where I don't have to race to mods because everybody's head is in the game.

Was this it? That match was awesome.

note Jugg and Vanguard topping damage too. Nerf OP Jugg and Vanguard DPS! :)

Edited by stoopicus

Was this it? That match was awesome.

note Jugg and Vanguard topping damage too. Nerf OP Jugg and Vanguard! :)

We have a winner (mine's arranged differently but the numbers give it away)- it was a great match. I'm incredibly goal orientated- to me my DPS ratio matters in other content whereas in PvP it's more a means to an end and lag tends to hurt me more as a DPS than as a healer. On my healer, I post massive HPS numbers but on my Mara, I lean towards a lower DPS but I'm always in the forefront of trying to win. So on Odessen Proving Grounds, my priority is control points and mods- I still kill players but it's because they get in my way.

People are welcome to highest DPS, and I do try and increase my output as far as being more productive but the win matters to me. I love that you beat the merc but the best part of that match is that we didn't give up and the team pulled together and went 'screw this, we aren't losing'. Those are the teams I love the most. :t_biggrin: That's how I've been on warzones where, on Novare, we've come back from as low as 8% to 100%. The only map where it becomes nightmare level hard is when you need all three to win Civil War, and I think I've been on one team that did that. It's incredibly hard though because the other team has less to do and they usually are your equal if not better than.

We have a winner (mine's arranged differently but the numbers give it away)- it was a great match. I'm incredibly goal orientated- to me my DPS ratio matters in other content whereas in PvP it's more a means to an end and lag tends to hurt me more as a DPS than as a healer. On my healer, I post massive HPS numbers but on my Mara, I lean towards a lower DPS but I'm always in the forefront of trying to win. So on Odessen Proving Grounds, my priority is control points and mods- I still kill players but it's because they get in my way.

People are welcome to highest DPS, and I do try and increase my output as far as being more productive but the win matters to me. I love that you beat the merc but the best part of that match is that we didn't give up and the team pulled together and went 'screw this, we aren't losing'. Those are the teams I love the most. :t_biggrin: That's how I've been on warzones where, on Novare, we've come back from as low as 8% to 100%. The only map where it becomes nightmare level hard is when you need all three to win Civil War, and I think I've been on one team that did that. It's incredibly hard though because the other team has less to do and they usually are your equal if not better than.

Yeah - by far the best part about that was we were serious about playing to win, running the mods and defending the control points that had the mods applied. The whole team just did great.

I was just joking about the damage - that's a low damage map to begin with with so much running, and the dirty little secret for Immortal Juggs is it is super easy to dominate damage on that map because of Chilling Scream and Crushing Blow spreading damage at the control points. Veng has it even better there. It might be the best map for Juggs.

Yeah - by far the best part about that was we were serious about playing to win, running the mods and defending the control points that had the mods applied. The whole team just did great.

I was just joking about the damage - that's a low damage map to begin with with so much running, and the dirty little secret for Immortal Juggs is it is super easy to dominate damage on that map because of Chilling Scream and Crushing Blow spreading damage at the control points. Veng has it even better there. It might be the best map for Juggs.

It wouldn't be such a hardship with her gear situation and the bolster if that popped all the time for my Immortal Juggernaut. Can always withstand to deactivate, and you're right- the Juggernaut/Guardian have some of the best tools for handling that warzone. I have terminal issues with the DPS branch in warzones- which is a shame because my original main was a DPS Guardian.

When I started playing this game, I was a walking, talking cliché of a solo player- petrified of PvP and while I still love story, I picked Guardian because it sounded cool as did the Knight's story than the AC it turned out I enjoyed more and I easily spend hours PvPing and I've needed to submit a ticket because I broke a main story quest on Belsavis by jumping in warzones mid instance. It stopped me doing that for all of a week. There's nothing wrong with solo play but I think for a lot of them- they're just anxious or their pride gets in the way.

I couldn't care less about cxp/rng - I'm contrary to a lot of people but I think they're a big part of what this game needs for long term retention of players. Having said that, my sub runs out in a couple weeks and I don't see myself sticking around past that. I've been here on faith and hope that balance issues would get addressed and dead servers would get merged but both of those things have just gotten much worse over the last year or two and BW isn't even talking about them. I believe that the only way to fix wintraders and matchmaking is with x-faction and larger servers/populations. BW isn't even trying.

I'm sorry to hear that, I think you leaving would be a loss for the community. You may not remember, but I have to thank you again for all of your help with the blue PVP crystals. I've still got one that I haven't used, and now that you can buy any of them from the vendor, I'm keeping that one as a good memory of a very nice gesture.

I hope they do something to change your mind in the near future.