The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

5 years later - Flying mounts and faster speeders

Forren-Midosea

At start of the game there was a lot of people that didnt wanted a flying mounts, because it would kill the immersion, well now when you simply explored all planets and know where all stuff is, done pretty much every single thing, maybe its time to let go of "no to flying mounts" and finally get this thing in game? And, maybe its also time to upgrade the speeders for bit faster stuff? we are, afterall, 20 lvls after original 50 lvl cap.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the mounts are already "flying" - that is, they travel above the ground (on repulsor fields). :)

If you're looking for something that can fly above the trees, you are probably out of luck.

Given the ease of using quick travel points, faster speeders aren't much of a necessity.

I don't see flying mounts ever happening in this game. Not because it would hurt the game but I highly doubt the game can really handle it.

Faster ground mounts would be nice too but I wonder if the game can keep up with that as well.

I'd love to see flying and faster ground speed but I doubt we ever see it.

Staff has said no to both previously although it;s been a while. Maps would require a redesign since flying wasn;t taken into account when they were designed and there would be too many issues with folks getting stuck as well as places they shouldn;t be. And the engine can;t handle a faster mount speed.

Staff has said no to both previously although it;s been a while. Maps would require a redesign since flying wasn;t taken into account when they were designed and there would be too many issues with folks getting stuck as well as places they shouldn;t be. And the engine can;t handle a faster mount speed.

That's true, it would imply a lot of work, and they already have a lot to do. They have to fix the gearing system and work on new content, that's the priority these days. They already struggle to deliver content, it would make no sense to work on something more now.

What would people think if they work on flying mounts instead of fixing actual issues and delivering content ? Sure, in a perfect game, they could do both, but this team doesn't have the capacity to do so. And imo, it wouldn't make this game better in his current state, sure flying is cool, but it doesn't really bring anything to the game itself.

Edited by RswanBing

And the engine can;t handle a faster mount speed.

Bollocks, the taxis are faster than mounts, they could at least let us go that fast. The only time I see a problem with travel speed is using Corellia's rocket trams.

Totally support a 'Turbo Booster', increasing a speeder's velocity to around that of a taxi for 6-12 seconds on a 60-120 second cooldown. They could even implement it on new CM speeders! C'mon BioWare, you know you want to!

Bollocks, the taxis are faster than mounts, they could at least let us go that fast. The only time I see a problem with travel speed is using Corellia's rocket trams.

The taxis are not under your control. It's a programming routine of a known object going along a rail.

Completely different than you on a controllable mount.

If folks search for mounts in the Search Community box at the upper right, this has been discussed and answered at very much length over the years.

Edited by dr_mike

I see that you guys dont want to improve this game at all. All you want is an easy gear (seeing the majority of fuss about cxp)

I see that you don't want to get people together for a cause but rather alienate them so that you can wallow in your hatred of the world.

Just from a practical point of view: yes I would love flight, but I think if they introduced it into the game it will tear rifts in the fabric of server space.

At start of the game there was a lot of people that didnt wanted a flying mounts, because it would kill the immersion, well now when you simply explored all planets and know where all stuff is, done pretty much every single thing, maybe its time to let go of "no to flying mounts" and finally get this thing in game? And, maybe its also time to upgrade the speeders for bit faster stuff? we are, afterall, 20 lvls after original 50 lvl cap.

WoW had to do a massive revamp of all their prior content zones when they introduced and permitted use of flying mounts everywhere. Why? Because there were never properly designed to take into account the use of flying mounts.

While I think flying mounts would be a nice feature add.... I see no real reason for it in this MMO, and I certainly do not want them to spend the resources needed for the revamping of content to support flying mounts. The resources are needed elsewhere.

As for faster speeders...... really? In this era of porting all over the place, and easy access to fully unlocked taxi routes, and zero delay on recalls to any point on the recall map ...... why on earth do you need a faster speeder? All it will do is put more pressure on the client to render faster and faster... which means lower end systems will not be able to do it.

Edited by Andryah

There's no way the current engine here supports flying mounts. It barely supports ground mounts. And there are too many tiny zones/planets: we'd be flying into exhaustion zones every 100'. The original devs here learned nothing from Wow's mistakes. Edited by Savej

I don't think these guys in austin appreciate the suggestion of work. They certainly feel they have enough on their plate making reskinned cartel pack apparel. When the clock hits 5 at their office it's off to the 5th and 6th street bars wearing their bioware shirts and looking for future interns.

Lmao.

You people are naive. The reason why this hasn't been implemented is that the engine SUCKS. They said that they have troubles with things that would be easy on a different engine. And you expect flying mounts? Really? WIth a game so poorly optimized already?

Flying mounts have no impact on the engine at all unless you want to increase the rendering distance, ie flying high and also spawning mobs and characters.

Main issue with those mounts is we could bypass the "nicely" layered maps virtual tunnels.

What would be fun is multiplayer mounts or pod/swoop racer but then the network engine on the game really sucks and is unable to correctly syn clients. Hence why you have to keep jumping to keep refreshing your current position otherwise you can get killed in OP without being in a nasty circle.... at least what you saw and the server see is different.

Edited by Deewe

Lmao.

You people are naive. The reason why this hasn't been implemented is that the engine SUCKS. They said that they have troubles with things that would be easy on a different engine. And you expect flying mounts? Really? WIth a game so poorly optimized already?

I recall 2 bigger performance updates for this game. You haven't seen an increase in performance on your end after those patches?

Flying mounts are introduced because game worlds gets bigger over time. Not here. None of the original zones have gotten an upgrade and the new zones are tiny crammed corridors. Totally unnecessary.

Take any mount and travel from one side of alderaan to the other. Or belsavis, hoth, tatooine... Those are huge zones. I would support a speeder speed increase but I dont think this game necessarily needs flying.