The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Q3 Electronic Arts financial reports are not out.

MeNaCe-NZ

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially with KotFE recently released... that's not good. Hmmm I think this is a sign tbh. A sign to switch the focus over to MMO content. It's clear that focusing on mainly on story and solo content for the past 2½ years hasn't been working. And I do wonder how Galactic Command is going to affect this further. Most likely not in a good way. Edited by Talon_strikes

I expect no news or marginal good with the x-pac release. They got a short term bump from the x-pac. It's next quarter that will be all sorts of telling. From the looks of things, I expect a major drop. That's why the announcement of the single ops boss. It's an attempt to keep some people subbed into next quarter. I don't think it will be enough to keep EA happy.

There is this of interest:

And at the end of the fiscal year, our BioWare studio will be delivering an all-new IP – a clean-sheet design with new concepts, new gameplay mechanics, and new stories set in a unique new universe. This game has the potential to fundamentally disrupt the way people think about an action title, bringing friends together to play in exhilarating new ways. We’re very excited about the future of this new franchise and its ability to attract a large global audience.

Which ties in this release today:

http://blog.bioware.com/2017/01/31/a-note-about-our-new-ip/

Whilst not directly related to this game one has to wonder if it was a major reason Bioware resources were seemingly redirected away from this game. This means there was something else major going on during the development of the new Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Edited by MeNaCe-NZ

I expect no news or marginal good with the x-pac release. They got a short term bump from the x-pac. It's next quarter that will be all sorts of telling. From the looks of things, I expect a major drop. That's why the announcement of the single ops boss. It's an attempt to keep some people subbed into next quarter. I don't think it will be enough to keep EA happy.

Not if the bar is set quite low ... we just don't know.

I imagine Q3 this year was miles behind Q3 last year and Q4 no doubt will be the same ( we had heavy server status and even some people on the now dead servers from October-February last year ) ... if they planned for this though ... who knows.

From the recent reinvigoration in communication and actual willingness to adapt somewhat we have seen recently I agree it does imply the game isn't performing as expected.

As far as concrete evidence from the financials though - there is none.

Whilst not directly related to this game one has to wonder if it was a major reason Bioware resources were seemingly redirected away from this game. This means there was something else major going on during the development of the new Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Anyone care to theorise what the new IP is that has them all worked up?

I'm going with Game of Thrones or another Marvel product seeing as Disney own Marvel movies.

I'm going with Game of Thrones or another Marvel product seeing as Disney own Marvel movies.

They say it's all new, so I doubt it's either. It will be something they don't have to pay a license fee for.

Financial results are very relative though, specifically relative to the same quarter in the prior year. This quarter will be going up against the quarter in which Knights of the Fallen Empire and The Force Awakens were released. I will be pleasantly surprised if there's not a significant decrease in revenue cited for the game compared the same quarter in the previous year.

You also have to look at the departures after ME3, from Casey Hudson on down. Promotions happened, sure, but with a series like that, people were due for raises and promotions, even if they have to leave the company for another position. ME gutted their studio, and then this, so that's why support from BWA is low.

It's gonna be really hard to tell... They are carrying an almost 403m negative deferred balance on Online games... Without knowing what the development of this new title, plus the money they pumped into ME and GOH, it's hard to tell what was deferred and what was claimed from what.

It's gonna be really hard to tell... They are carrying an almost 403m negative deferred balance on Online games... Without knowing what the development of this new title, plus the money they pumped into ME and GOH, it's hard to tell what was deferred and what was claimed from what.

Speaking of GOH - wow does it seemingly receive some kudos from EA which as a gamer is really concerning for me.

If games like that for existing IPs, that are clearly cheap to make, maintain and continue development for, continue to do so well it's going to give them less reason to invest in games like this and new games.

I had hoped to see a Jedi Knight series type game from EA when they got the license but so far ... nothing ( though there is still that bloody unknown project from Visceral ).

The next battlefront I imagine to be nothing more than a patch fix for the first battlefront with a few new maps and modes and yet charge full price and still have season passes etc.

It annoys me to see EA destroy the Star Wars gaming IP as they are doing because it could have been so much greater after Disney reinvigorated the IP as a whole. I guess though as long as it's pouring in the cash nothing is going to change.

Expect less real content and more focus on anything micro transaction based. I blame the social media generation and parents need to make sure their kids aren't the ones that "miss out" over their friends and thus happily pony up money for the microtransactions that this younger generation couldn't otherwise afford.

http://investor.ea.com/results.cfm

Nothing about SWToR. Good or bad?

Personally at this stage I'd call no news good news in the financial reports.

I think neither. Considering the points they chose to highlight, like 10 million people playing the Journey, an older title like SWTOR isn't going to make the cut for that. As in investor, I personally thought this was a great report. 9% revenue growth for a company the size of EA is great. And, they are RAISING guidance for the year. They are doing something right.

Back on SWTOR though. Sub services climbed 16% noted as being primarily driven by EA Access and Origin Access. Since SWTOR is condensed into that, even if there was a loss, they won't need to mention it because overall sub service revenue is up. I think it would only be pointed out if it was down (like the previous quarter) and EA then needs to explain why it is down.

This is one of those reports where executives are excited to talk with shareholders as it was good across the board. However, a trend that should be noted is that EA seems more captivated by live service models like FIFA, Battlefield 1 and SW:GoH and what that will mean for the future (thus the comment on the new BioWare IP mentioned above). That being said, I don't think the MMO model has much longer to survive (in general, not just for SWTOR) under the EA umbrella.

If you want to read the tea leaves from this, however. The fact that a title that once had plans to rival WoW (and BTW potentially be EAs biggest portfolio product ever), isn't even mentioned shows that EA could now care less about the title. In other words, it is dead in EAs eyes - as it should be considering the performance of some of their newer titles. From an individual title's perspective, I think it may indeed be safe to say this title is not going to survive much longer in the EA umbrella.

Edited by Wayshuba

I have been analyzing all the reports till now and what i can say is that if swtor is not mentioned, its BAD! They have been only mentioning GoH and Battlefront for some time now. It doesnt look good.

I warned about this many many times that 2017 is probably last straw for EA and 2018 might not even have plans for this game as its uncertain how many subs will be left end of this year.

I think it is safe to say it won't be tied to any existing IP out there. It is pretty clear that they mention a unique IP made from scratch (sort of like ME1 was).

I personally belive BW is taking the learning from ME, DA, and KOTOR/SWTOR and wrapping them into a brand new scifi IP that will be wholly EAs only. We'll know more as information is released over the year, but it is interesting that they started work on it in the very first year of SWTORs release.

Speaking of GOH - wow does it seemingly receive some kudos from EA which as a gamer is really concerning for me.

I think, over time, you are going to see that replaced by kudos for sport titles as they adapt mobile versions. I believe SW:GoH is getting such praise because it is doing well and EA, for some time, has talked about a strategy for getting into mobile gaming and it serves as the best example they have right now of successfully getting into that segment.

Once you start seeing Madden, FIFA and other titles push harder into that space (I know my 11-year old son and his friends love Madden Mobile) you will see a more diverse discussion like with desktop titles.

I warned about this many many times that 2017 is probably last straw for EA and 2018 might not even have plans for this game as its uncertain how many subs will be left end of this year.

There will be some good numbers this year. The ops announcement already made it attractive for some people! Even though its far from enough there will be positive numbers for 5.2 just to see how the ops will look like. Then judging by the complexity of the fight the people will decide whether to stay or not.

Also at the end of the year there should be a influx of subs too when full ops is out.

There will be some good numbers this year. The ops announcement already made it attractive for some people! Even though its far from enough there will be positive numbers for 5.2 just to see how the ops will look like. Then judging by the complexity of the fight the people will decide whether to stay or not.

Also at the end of the year there should be a influx of subs too when full ops is out.

I think your are drastically overestimating what one new Operation is going to do for this game. Most raiders have or are moving from the game now. When they move to a game that is providing them with 3-4 new raids per year, there is nothing one new raid is SWTOR is going to drag them back for.

To be frank and honest, SWTOR would have to have an expansion this year with maybe 8 new flashpoints, 4 new warzones, 4 new Ops, a couple of new fully-explorable planets and more story content to even attempt to draw players back. A minimal trickle of content that is three years too late is not going to do it.

Edited by Wayshuba

Nothing explicit, but Q3:FY16 was the "Star Wars: The Old Republic community has grown to the highest subscriber level in nearly three years" quarter and in Q3:FY17 the subscription segment as a whole is "up 16% year on year" over that quarter.

SWTOR itself may have gone down, stayed flat, or gone up (by less than Access / Origin), but if it did drop off it wasn't a serious enough decline to blunt the segment's overall growth.

I think your are drastically overestimating what one new Operation is going to do for this game. Most raiders have or are moving from the game now. When they move to a game that is providing them with 3-4 new raids per year, there is nothing one new raid is SWTOR is going to drag them back for.

To be frank and honest, SWTOR would have to have an expansion this year with maybe 8 new flashpoints, 4 new warzones, 4 new Ops, a couple of new fully-explorable planets and more story content to even attempt to draw players back. A minimal trickle of content that is three years too late is not going to do it.

Exactly my problem. If we had a complete operation, warzone, and flashpoint coming out by Summer, I'd stick this out. We're not getting enough content that people will come back to this game.

Remember how busy the game was when people were checking out 4.0? Then poof, populations plummeted as there was no reason to sub month to month. There was a spike with DvL, but within 2 weeks of that launching populations bottomed out again. 5.0 did very little, the MMO/Group communities didn't care by then, more of the same.

Last time around the revenue was down in the area of subscriptions, advertising and other. SWTOR was mentioned as a main contributor for a 1% loss. This mention was made in the 10-Q form.

This same area is now 15% UP. No mention of SWTOR but the 10-Q form is not there yet so we cannot compare this yet.

There is nothing we can take from this beyond the fact that the part that SWTOR belongs to is doing well. Whether that's also thanks to or in spite of SWTOR is completely in the realm of speculation at this stage.

Yeah, those world boss fans have been flocking back to the game since they announced the new one boss Operation. :rolleyes: