The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Closed PTS Applications

EricMusco

They should totally set SM difficulty around PUGS - if it's "pug friendly" that means more people willing to do the operation and more organised groups taking on pug members to do the OP.

I remember how hard it was getting fill ins for ToS originally and then if you had a night to yourself finding a group was just as hard.

Sometimes people just want to do the content and not be gated out of it because it's too incredibly difficult that you have to have an organised group that have "read the guides" etc. - That's what HM+ is for.

This. They have 3 different levels with SM being aimed at anyone and veteran and hard mode aimed at hardcore raiders. Test the modes based on who is playing. A hardcore raider group on vent may find SM easy and recommend the difficulty increased while a PUG may struggle or find the difficulty just right.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think they should test "around" a PUG, but they should a few times, observe how a pug handles the boss. not cut them out completely, but observe how the increase in difficulty effects a PUG.

Increases in difficulty should sure as hell not be what SM is for. SM needs to be 100% PuG'able. Mechanics are fine, but dumb down the damage so that new players have a place to learn.

I dont think they should test "around" a PUG, but they should a few times, observe how a pug handles the boss. not cut them out completely, but observe how the increase in difficulty effects a PUG.

And why would you say that considering BioWare themselves said that they wanted the new raid to be more openly accessible? They have said that their aim was to make it easier for people to get into groups to do it...

I'll be honest, I get damn tired of having to carry DPS peeps in friggin SM due to tuning. Every guild group I have been part of ran story mode once to get a feel for the area, then went straight to HM.

Most people don't understand how to distribute stats and rotations. Most people don't even read the forums. Hell arguments are going on NOW on Harb about how much accuracy you need secondary stat allocations. Hell we still have people saying that accuracy is useless, and you do need 110 for even SM ops now or your DPS will suffer.

I was in a Rav group the other day, we had to give accuracy stims to people because they were missing so much and I could not carry all of them (the 2 healers, 2 tanks, and myself normally run together). Once we got their accuracy respectable (around 108), we had no problems the rest of the way. Trust me there are serious issues making it accessible to the general populace.

And why would you say that considering BioWare themselves said that they wanted the new raid to be more openly accessible? They have said that their aim was to make it easier for people to get into groups to do it...

I'll be honest, I get damn tired of having to carry DPS peeps in friggin SM due to tuning. Every guild group I have been part of ran story mode once to get a feel for the area, then went straight to HM.

Most people don't understand how to distribute stats and rotations. Most people don't even read the forums. Hell arguments are going on NOW on Harb about how much accuracy you need secondary stat allocations. Hell we still have people saying that accuracy is useless, and you do need 110 for even SM ops now or your DPS will suffer.

I was in a Rav group the other day, we had to give accuracy stims to people because they were missing so much and I could not carry all of them (the 2 healers, 2 tanks, and myself normally run together). Once we got their accuracy respectable (around 108), we had no problems the rest of the way. Trust me there are serious issues making it accessible to the general populace.

Dude, most people don't even read their abilities.

Hey folks,

As we mentioned on the last Producer Live Stream, we are going to be putting Game Update 5.2 on PTS. For now, our plan is that the test server will be closed with the intention of opening up later on. I want to make sure that players have the opportunity to apply to get entry into this closed test, so let's talk about how to do that. Here are the requirements:

• Being on the closed test server means signing an NDA. You must be willing to sign and abide by that agreement.
  • You must be 18 years or older to be eligible.
  • You must have an active subscription (to access the test server).
  • You must be willing to play and provide feedback.
  • You must be able to post on the forums, if you have been banned from the forums you are ineligible.
  • If you have had a ToS violation within the past 12 months, you are ineligible.
  • Our test server is not localized and our communication around it will be only in English, therefore this opportunity is only open to English speaking players.

Right now we are mainly looking to recruit Guilds and Ops groups to help test Tyth. Early on in the Closed PTS we will only be testing the Operation. We will open up recruiting to individuals and small groups later on if we place the daily area and Master Mode Uprisings on the test server. If your Guild or Op group is interested in applying, please follow these steps:

• Send an email to swtorsubmissions@swtor.com with the subject line "Closed PTS Application"
  • Include the following information:
    • Your account name.
    • The account name of each Op member/Guild member you wish to bring into the test.
    • Any notes on why you think your Op group or Guild should be accepted into the test.

Again, for this stage we are looking for entire Ops groups/Guilds to test Tyth. Application in no way guarantees entry into the test.

-eric

You missed the part where those that participate will get a x10 command boost and x10 unassembled component income boost on their live account for helping you out.

I'm sorry, but you have nearly destroyed the game that I truly used to like with the game changing mechanics, massive grind and bull excrement RNG.

Why the hell should anyone considering doing anything for you for free? We already pay for the game and you treat us like garbage, now you want us to pay you and do your work for you?

You have lost your minds....

Hey folks,

Quick update. One of the pieces of feedback we are hearing about Closed PTS is the rule about "ever having a ToS violation" is too strict and too punishing. After some discussion, we agree. Having a ToS violation is still something that we don't take lightly, but it shouldn't punish you forever. We are updating the rule to the following:

• If you have had a ToS violation within the past 12 months, you are ineligible.

Feel free to adjust for that in any application emails that you send. Thanks everyone.

-eric

That's very fair, I think.

Hey folks,

[*]Being on the closed test server means signing an NDA. You must be willing to sign and abide by that agreement.

-eric

Why? If the only thing that's going live on the server is new Ops Boss...just...why?

This seems a bit like overkill. If the entire story is being released, including Dorne and Quinn, I can understand. But with 4 days of sub time left as of this posing this seems a bit heavy handed and is pushing me toward not subscribing until you guys have fixed the failure that is Command Experience. As your history since the Revan expansion has shown with the last several expansions and chapter releases "3 day early access" typically results in 3 day free bug testers.

Edited by nekogunner

Hey folks,

Quick update. One of the pieces of feedback we are hearing about Closed PTS is the rule about "ever having a ToS violation" is too strict and too punishing. After some discussion, we agree. Having a ToS violation is still something that we don't take lightly, but it shouldn't punish you forever. We are updating the rule to the following:

Feel free to adjust for that in any application emails that you send. Thanks everyone.

-eric

Thank you Eric, good move, that means that people could have done a "mistake" in the past but since then have learned their lesson and didn't repeat the same mistake.

It wasn't like that before and this is the fault of the Devs, they have been nerfing the game so bad that people didnt care about stuff like gear, stats etc. Now we have the opportunity to get a good ops, but we also have to consider that the game has 80% noobs and they should be able to do SM so they dont complain on forums later on about it.

It wasn't like that before and this is the fault of the Devs, they have been nerfing the game so bad that people didnt care about stuff like gear, stats etc. Now we have the opportunity to get a good ops, but we also have to consider that the game has 80% noobs and they should be able to do SM so they dont complain on forums later on about it.

As much as I like challenges, I don't see anything wrong with Story Mode operations being extremely easy by regular raiders' standards. Let the new people--new to the game in general or operations in specific--complete an operation so they can see the story; it's right there in the title, that's what Story Mode is for. Players shouldn't be locked out of seeing story content by lack of gear or experience.

Also, if those new people enjoy running Story Mode, they'll potentially be interested in actually wanting to learn mechanics, gear up, and try harder modes. That's how I got into end game content! I'd never touched it before TOR. My first guild here dragged my scrub self on a run one night and I decided seeing new environments, enemies, and story bits was worth learning how to not suck quite as much.

Why? If the only thing that's going live on the server is new Ops Boss...just...why?

This seems a bit like overkill. If the entire story is being released, including Dorne and Quinn, I can understand. But with 4 days of sub time left as of this posing this seems a bit heavy handed and is pushing me toward not subscribing until you guys have fixed the failure that is Command Experience. As your history since the Revan expansion has shown with the last several expansions and chapter releases "3 day early access" typically results in 3 day free bug testers.

I'm guessing it's so people won't come on the forum and complain about the content on the PTS. They're in damage control mode right now, trying to avoid bad press and negative backlash.

As much as I like challenges, I don't see anything wrong with Story Mode operations being extremely easy by regular raiders' standards.

Well the thing is that the game doesnt have operaitons only! There are heroics, flashpoints, events, special missions (seeker droid etc) which are not such a big thing as an ops. These should server as a training ground for new players. Whe i started playing the game i only did story then flashpoints, tried PVP. I had great respect for operations and didnt attempt it before i read the guides etc.

The people now expect to enter an instance and just basic attack him to death. It works with their companion cause they are god like, it works in Solo FPS cause of Jesus Droid and so on. Even last night, SM Uprising Destroyer of Worlds, on bonus boss we kept on dying, i asked sorcs to respec to heal both did and we wiped. They said its impossible to heal. When one left i took out my rank 50 heal comp and we finished the Uprising without anyone falling under 70% hp.

I'm guessing it's so people won't come on the forum and complain about the content on the PTS. They're in damage control mode right now, trying to avoid bad press and negative backlash.

And that is something that while acknowledged on the live stream, shouldn't be something to avoid on the forums. PM's with devs can only go so far. Especially if it's a small group like they are planning. Allegedly only testing a single Ops boss. If they simply discuss their solution openly and get feedback on their ideas it'd be a lot easier and there would be less salt in these posts.

I understand they are people too and they can't please everyone. However, holding the threat of a potential lawsuit over a player's head doesn't seem to be a neutral, let alone friendly, way of community damage control. It's the complete opposite. It's hostile.

1) Admit you made a mistake.

2) Take suggestions for a solution.

3) Mix suggestions with what you as a developer know to be feasible and pleasing to most of the community.

4) Serve product with a side of salt from those not particularly pleased.

5) Repeat steps 1-4 as necessary.

Athe threat of a potential lawsuit over a player's head

lol what? Just look at sites like Tor Community, they already published the info from 5.2 ops/boss names, changes in 5.2 etc, there is no lawsuit with them. Even when Zorz was testing Revan pictures have leaked outside, there is no point on involving layers, what will you get from a 20 year old student from Romania?? :)

You missed the part where those that participate will get a x10 command boost and x10 unassembled component income boost on their live account for helping you out.

I'm sorry, but you have nearly destroyed the game that I truly used to like with the game changing mechanics, massive grind and bull excrement RNG.

Why the hell should anyone considering doing anything for you for free? We already pay for the game and you treat us like garbage, now you want us to pay you and do your work for you?

Its attitudes like this that make them not want to ask.

This is the first time in a long time I can remember them even asking for help.

If the community isn't willing to help because they love the game, then the community has only itself to blame if they don't get what they want or get something the Devs think they want, but is broken.

I think them asking is a step in the right direction, an over due step to be sure, but still a right step.

Asking them for something free to help isn't the way to get a good game or get them to listen.

No one will be getting anything for this.

Yes it is kinda stupid that you pay for a game and then have to go test the new content. However, since the game is doing so bad we are doing it in order to save it, so that the Devs provide solid content for the players. We have nothing else to do in the game anyway so why not make sure they will deliver proper content for the rest of you?

They also don't want the story details going public before they launch it. I can understand the need for an NDA. BW's usually only limit you to not talking about things they haven't talked about and expire with the release of the product.

My hope is they actually listen to the feedback this time and make changes, fix bugs, etc. before they release the boss. Another buggy disaster of a launch is the last thing they need at this point.

Edited by DanNV

Hey folks,

-eric

I really appreciate the recognition of mitigating circumstances. <3

You should take individuals who play ops and ask them their play times and have them form a "PUG" group... I'm sorry but this is a mistake you make OVER AND OVER....

I cannot stress enough that if you want to make the OPS more accessible, you need to see how well an actual PUG can do it. Regular OPS groups and Guilds that play together will come in screaming it's too easy, you will overtune it, and you will lock out whom you said in the stream was your intended target for SM OPS...

That's probably the single most sane thing I've read on these forums regarding ops or any group content.

Thank you.

Edited by AnisaBadgett

They should be testing it for PUGs also. Ops are so inaccessible to such a large portion of the players, why tune it for a such a small portion of players? I feel like operations (raids) are an old gameplay archetype that needs some updating to fit in better with modern trends.

I agree, they should be taking in data from all sorts of playstyles and groups. Make it work for as many as possible.

I agree, my raid group at the time fell apart because sm ravagers was so buggy and overtuned. we were doing hm df/dp and found ravagers tos to be a painful mess.

Well the thing is that the game doesnt have operaitons only! There are heroics, flashpoints, events, special missions (seeker droid etc) which are not such a big thing as an ops. These should server as a training ground for new players. Whe i started playing the game i only did story then flashpoints, tried PVP. I had great respect for operations and didnt attempt it before i read the guides etc.

The people now expect to enter an instance and just basic attack him to death. It works with their companion cause they are god like, it works in Solo FPS cause of Jesus Droid and so on. Even last night, SM Uprising Destroyer of Worlds, on bonus boss we kept on dying, i asked sorcs to respec to heal both did and we wiped. They said its impossible to heal. When one left i took out my rank 50 heal comp and we finished the Uprising without anyone falling under 70% hp.

Part of the problem is the horrible stat distribution on many items. It is like finding excaliber and having to rip out parts to fix it so it will work. King arthur wouldnt have lasted a week if that had happened.. Or maybe he would have had to return excaliber mk.1 to the Lady Of The Lake along with 200 tokens to get excaliber mk.2