Thoughts on new gear system. (might get a bit "heated")

so as title said, this is my and hopefuly others who comment's thoughts on the new gear. be warned im realy... lets call it "passionate" about this subject so !!!TRIGGER WARNING!!!.

for a short version scroll down. :)

now to make sure ppl know a bit about me i played roughly since launch, got 69(soon 70) 65+ chars (6 beeing boosted) and leagacy 50 on 3 servers. so point is i play/played alot.

now when you played as mouch as i have u done pretty mouch everything that can be done. wich is roughly the case. i play on a regular day to day basis and love this game more than anything...

now im sure everyone remembers the old gear system, good old weekend guild-hm runs and all that. now imma go straight to buisness here, i HATE (sry) the new gear system.

WHY?:

Well in a nutshell it makes gearing (and most importantly; progression) alot slower and mouch more in-consistant.

the longer version is that with the new Command system (wich would be great as a side thing to the old one) feels too "new, casual player" oriented. so if all u do is rp and play heroics all day then yea this system is great :D but that is not the case for everyone, especialy not myself.

as fun as heroics and rp is i also like doing other much more... "group needing" stuff such as ops and HM fp-s. before 5.1 doing ops in general was useless as all loot they gave was schematics that only crafters can use (and that is expensive to craft in quantety) and cxp. (command xp) and cxp could be gaind WAY more efficently by doing say fractured on vet mode. wich also requires lesser skill and few-er ppl not to mention time.

dont even get me started on HM ops...

AFTER 5.1 ops got some mouch needed purpose but even now it cant even hope to match the old system (in my eyes at least). now before i go on i wanna just add the fact that i talked to a tonn of ppl both new, old, experienced, and pvp-ers etc.. and 90% of them agreed with me that the old system was better. now a few said they like new one but still u took my point.

back to ops:

now with tokens dropping its better BUT they are not garantead like before, neither are they free (need command tokens to redeem them).

imma tell you about what happend when i did ops last night:

so i did first a SnV on sm (non GF) and it was fine. we got tokens on all exept 2-3 bosses. all in all it was an ok run but many of the ppl in the ops didn't get any loot what-so-ever. (not even a deco D: )

i did a second run after that joining in at last boss in DP, it was a guild run apparently and i was ofc "the outlander" of them all xD... anyways i asked if there was any loot rules and yeaa i was not alowed to roll for anything but non token stuff... ofc this is just regular douche-bag-ery but i wanted xp so i didn't whine about it.

imo that is good example of whats wrong. even with tokens ppl simply cant be "trusted" and when tokens drop so few times simply beeing "alowed" to have a CHANCE at getting loot is well... DUMB!

this was ofc a issue before 5.0 but there at least u was pretty mouch garantead at least ONE usefull item from ops (to mail to an alt if nothing else) and even if u didn't get loot for some reason you still got the nice commendations to buy gear from vendors yourself.

sadly thats no longer the case... now this is turining into a rant rather quickly so hang on there:

!UNDER HERE IS THE SHORTER VERSION!

now i could go on forever why i dont like loot beeing rng and why and why and why... but im not cus ppl already know the problems. in short cxp system is a FREE version of cartel crates... just for gear. ur not garantead a gold drop and u mostl likely will just get jawa junk and a deco. ... same thing. dont think i need to explain why i hate that...

now for tokens. they have a CHANCE at dropping and then you have another CHANCE at winning the roll between 8 greedy ppl. this whole new gear system can be discribed by 1 word: "chance"

(chance like chance cubes?! O: coincidence? I THINK NOT!)

anyways thats about it. the system mess with the old "secure/garantead way" to get good gear. and without good gear you wont be able to play the game how it should be played. and with no good way to get gear the general progression after u hit 70 dissapears completly.. every command level (wich takes FOREVER to lvl) feels like it is uselss as you wont get anything in packs anyway... and tokens well lets face it u wont win the rolls and even if u do u must grind packs to get tokens to even use them.

now i could talk about crafting but imo nothing changed there its still... mediocre or however thats spelled at best and wont be up to standards with token gear. not even if you can craft the super expensive hard to get gear, wich well at least, i cant. (now keep in mind i havn't actualy tried the crafted gear so take it with a pinch of salt)

post-70 progression imo is COMPLETLY GONE now...

any thoughts? i just want ppl to take note lol... im not writing out of hate but out of hope ... hope that this will be fixed xD

type YES! if you agreed with anything i said lol... or NO! if you dont.

You are not the only one, most players don't like the gearing system. Personally, I am at rank 300, I have six 242 pieces (and 4 unassembled pieces just waiting to be turned in), plus we have crafted full 240 gear for the raid members that don't play as much, so I really shouldn't complain, but I also find the system way too grindy, and I hate being forced to PvP just to get components.

However, the developers are dead set on this gearing system, they are unwilling to lessen the grind. So don't expect the system to change much.

Edited by Jerba

You are not the only one, most players don't like the gearing system. Personally, I am at rank 300, I have six 242 pieces (and 4 unassembled pieces just waiting to be turned in), plus we have crafted full 240 gear for the raid members that don't play as much, so I really shouldn't complain, but I also find the system way too grindy, and I hate being forced to PvP just to get components.

However, the developers are dead set on this gearing system, they are unwilling to lessen the grind. So don't expect the system to change much.

Even if the grind was lessen (which it will according to Musco's announcement), the system is heavily flawed and stupid. RNG is not fun nor thrilling, but frustrating and only prevent people who don't have that much available game time, but willing to play the content to play it. And it's totally against new/returning players and alts.

Even if the grind was lessen (which it will according to Musco's announcement), the system is heavily flawed and stupid. RNG is not fun nor thrilling, but frustrating and only prevent people who don't have that much available game time, but willing to play the content to play it. And it's totally against new/returning players and alts.

i agree, rng removes the feeling of progression and replaces it with luck... and ofc the amount of time you spent grinding.

imo to fix the whole thing just make cxp be earned faster and make LAST token for every OPS boss a garantea for every player.

so at last boss every player attending is garantead a token. rest boss tokens would be rolled as normal and u can only get one "last-boss token" from each ops a day (like the bonus or whatever) so in a week u would have half a set seen that you lost all other rolls.

that would fix the entire system for me tbh.

Edited by slukslaksla

imo to fix the whole thing just make cxp be earned faster and make LAST token for every OPS boss a garantea for every player.

so at last boss every player attending is garantead a token. rest boss tokens would be rolled as normal and u can only get one "last-boss token" from each ops a day (like the bonus or whatever) so in a week u would have half a set seen that you lost all other rolls.

that would fix the entire system for me tbh.

If we had an Operation Final boss give everyone a token drop, we'd all be fully geared even faster then during the 4.0 cycle, and gearing during that time was FLAWED for an MMO. It was way to fast even then. By doing your suggestion everyone would be fully geared in 230 gear in 1-2 days, guild raid groups in 2-3 weeks in full 236 gear, some guild groups maybe in full 242's. This is just a bad idea.

With that being said, I'm not satisfied with Galactic command. The higher GC rank I get, the more frustrated I am. I just hit rank 256, and have only seen 4 purple or gold drops since hitting tier 3 (1 purple MH, 1 gold MH, 1 purple Boots, and 1 gold clicky relic for 720 alac), this to me is pathetic since I'm that far into the Tier 3 ranks, and basically seen nothing of value for probably 80+ hours of grinding out ranks, just in tier 3. The changes in 5.1 have been an improvement, but i'm quickly losing interest.

Edited by Toraak

If we had an Operation Final boss give everyone a token drop, we'd all be fully geared even faster then during the 4.0 cycle, and gearing during that time was FLAWED for an MMO. It was way to fast even then. By doing your suggestion everyone would be fully geared in 230 gear in 1-2 days, guild raid groups in 2-3 weeks in full 236 gear, some guild groups maybe in full 242's. This is just a bad idea.

With that being said, I'm not satisfied with Galactic command. The higher GC rank I get, the more frustrated I am. I just hit rank 256, and have only seen 4 purple or gold drops since hitting tier 3 (1 purple MH, 1 gold MH, 1 purple Boots, and 1 gold clicky relic for 720 alac), this to me is pathetic since I'm that far into the Tier 3 ranks, and basically seen nothing of value for probably 80+ hours of grinding out ranks, just in tier 3. The changes in 5.1 have been an improvement, but i'm quickly losing interest.

IMO one of the problem with 4.0 is that since they just rehashed content and made it tier content again, we had too much ops to gear. While it was good to have the diversity, every one can understand how bad it's to have 9 ops dropping gear (and 8 dropping BiS, counting highlighted op). A solution would be to limit drops in older ops and make only the new drop gear on each boss, you'll greatly reduce the rate at which we get gear that way, reintroduce gear progression and get rid of RNG all at the same time.

IMO one of the problem with 4.0 is that since they just rehashed content and made it tier content again, we had too much ops to gear. While it was good to have the diversity, every one can understand how bad it's to have 9 ops dropping gear (and 8 dropping BiS, counting highlighted op). A solution would be to limit drops in older ops and make only the new drop gear on each boss, you'll greatly reduce the rate at which we get gear that way, reintroduce gear progression and get rid of RNG all at the same time.

I do agree that with 4.0 the problem was BW boosting all of the operations to max level again was the main problem for how fast gearing was, (which I suspect is why we are getting GC now however), but I'd love to get 2 new Operations and have gearing go back to the way it was Pre 4.0 (I wouldn't even mind leaving GC system in place for those who do not raid).

I would like to hear a GOOD reason as to why fast gearing was a problem. I currently have 24 toons (16 toons before the DvL event) and with 4.0, as much as I was not entertained by the storyline (and that was basically not at all), I applauded the gearing system and the fact that all 9 ops were now relevant.

There is content that would be horrible to repeat (aka Uprisings, Seeker Droid and Binoculars missions, some of the Flashpoints, Class missions, KOTFE/KOTET Chapters) and then there is content that I would have no problem at all repeating, if it meant getting rewarded too at the same time (Operations, HM Flashpoints, PvP, Heroics).

So with 4.0 I was able to:

1. Gear most of my 16 toons with full set bonus

2. Have a lot of fun playing with my friends

3. STILL be challenged enough for the higher tier gear and be part of a progression raiding group

4. See how ops like EV, KP and EC are SUPPOSED to be like, since I did not do endgame content back in 2012

5. Log into the game all the time to enjoy the game

6. Be a happy paying customer

I dont' see how any of that causes any problems. If anything, the lack of new content was not as noticeable as it is now (and has been for a long time) since there was still stuff to do. Fun stuff to do.

Edited by DarthFixxxer

tbh i kinda agree, to a point. indeed my suggestion would be a bit "easy" but we still need a SURE way to get gear. atm thats not the case. as u rely on rolls and crates. im rank 23 on my highest guy and i got no clue how to effectively raise it.

and thats my problem. its just to messy. ofc u could make it so only 1 peice a week instead of a day. rest stuff is like it is now. that way at least u would get something. and with server economy beeing inflated af buying crafted gear or mats to craft urself is not a good option either.

or maybe make the cxp system not increase in xp requirement so say ur garantead a lvl every 1.5k xp or something.

and with that also increase drop rate for better gear and reduce drop rate for other stuff like green gear and shells. this way u keep the system we have now and at least add SOME progression. but idk. anything is better then what it is now tbh

I would like to hear a GOOD reason as to why fast gearing was a problem. I currently have 24 toons (16 toons before the DvL event) and with 4.0, as much as I was not entertained by the storyline (and that was basically not at all), I applauded the gearing system and the fact that all 9 ops were now relevant.

There is content that would be horrible to repeat (aka Uprisings, Seeker Droid and Binoculars missions, some of the Flashpoints, Class missions, KOTFE/KOTET Chapters) and then there is content that I would have no problem at all repeating, if it meant getting rewarded too at the same time (Operations, HM Flashpoints, PvP, Heroics).

3. STILL be challenged enough for the higher tier gear and be part of a progression raiding group

4. See how ops like EV, KP and EC are SUPPOSED to be like, since I did not do endgame content back in 2012

I dont' see how any of that causes any problems. If anything, the lack of new content was not as noticeable as it is now (and has been for a long time) since there was still stuff to do. Fun stuff to do.

Because in Bioware's mind, people leave the game because they are full BiS so keeping them on the gear treadmill longer means more subs longer. That's the reason why we have GC, because they thought gating gear behind an extremely long grind would keep people subscribed longer.

Obviously that's not the case, content is what makes people stay subscribed but it took them more than 2 years and a sub bleed to understand that.

The problem is, with no new content if gearing is to quick, people unsub and leave the game. I've seen this happen with a lot of players in the 4.0 cycle since gearing in full 224's was so easy with EV/KP Highlighted HM's. This is one reason why gearing needs to be slower like it was in the 2.0, and 3.0 cycle. The problem with 4.0 is there was 9 Operations that could be cleared for 224's when it was highlighted HM's, not to mention when they added 224's into the NiM drops as well.

Edited by Toraak

Cutting through all the Bioware PR this system is designed to make players stay because they do not produce anywhere near the content their competitors in the subscription MMO market (WoW, FF14 etc) produce. Bioware have made the grind the content not the actual game. GC is a terrible system which repeats the same mistakes they made with PVP gearing at launch, just like 4.0 repeated the same mistakes of PVE endgame that were made at launch (no endgame at launch no new endgame in 4.0). As it has been stated numerous times if the game did not have the Star Wars IP the game would have shut down years ago.

Yes, agree with you.

Actually i have to say the system was better at start when the elite mobs gave 10 cxp, that was optimal as ppl would be getting much more cxp doing even story content, ops and heroics.

However, it did have the side effect that it allowed to farm the mobs.

The problem is, with no new content if gearing is to quick, people unsub and leave the game. I've seen this happen with a lot of players in the 4.0 cycle since gearing in full 224's was so easy with EV/KP Highlighted HM's. This is one reason why gearing needs to be slower like it was in the 2.0, and 3.0 cycle. The problem with 4.0 is there was 9 Operations that could be cleared for 224's when it was highlighted HM's, not to mention when they added 224's into the NiM drops as well.

Unfortunately, the gearing is driving people away faster than anything since 1.x. I don't believe trickling out an operation 1 boss at a time is going to help, either. (And I expect that is a last ditch effort. That should have been scheduled for release at the end of the year with a new x-pac or on it's own a bit before. It certainly wasn't strategically planned this way after they just admitted trickling out content didn't keep layers playing.)

The worst thing they've done to the game in the last 3 or 4 years is GC. Combine that with a lack of real, repeatable content and they screwed themselves.

yea, but imo gear is not the game. its important but not the game. most ppl i know play this either cus its starwars or cus they simply like the game etc. wich i do to. gearing simply allows you to acces more of the game wich is why adding GC system is dumb cus less ppl have gear/get gear easy and thus both gearing is hard (ppl leave) and content is lesser (ppl leave there too). this is a huge nail in the coffin for swtor's mmo parts imo!

imo u can fix gear as mouch as u want but what game realy needs is something to make us stay. bioware has stated that they focus more on the "bioware" part of the game rather than the mmo wich for me personaly is fantastic but it dosn't mean mmo should be fogoten about (wich they said they havn't)

we need something like SoR with both story new abilitys and mechanics (a gear fix) and also mmo aspects such as ops and especialy flashpoints (as flashpoints alow lower level players to do stuff to thus drawing even more ppl in) and not just 2 or 3 flashpoints im talking like a little pile say 4 or 5. all with SM Vet and master modes. (and add tokens to master mode)same thing with ops dont add just 1 add a couple.

Looks like a bunch of whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Im also an old school player.

EAWare gonna do what EAWare gonna do, which is whatever benefits them....EA execs.

Hint: Devs know people like to get their gear and run to WoW so they are making the grind longer to prevent people from leaving. That is the hope at least. Lots wont have the stomach for that and will just run like pansies back to WoW.

I don't even care anymore about the crates. If you raid NiM regularly you get gear much faster than through GC. Even with the incredibly low drop chances.

And if you play PvP between raids, who cares about crates anymore? Add in Crafted pieces and GC is utterly useless.

Edited by Torvai