AoE color changes. Not good

Hyde_v

Can we get Eric or a developer to post on this change? Was this just a mistake or is this working as intended?

It's not the first thread about that issue, I think every pvp players agreed that it's a real issue that needs a fix quickly, still, not a word from the dev's. How long should it take to get an official answer for an issue that exists for weeks ?

They probably don't want to acknowledge it yet because they know they're not able to fix it soon or don't want to do it now. Why ? Because they have a lot of things to fix, they start to work on an operation in last minute panic, they refuse to listen players before 5.0 and now they're fixing the gearing system in last minute panic... We know the team is really small compared to the game ambitions, they just can't make this game work in good conditions, they can't work on different things at a time.

But make sure players don't forget to keep paying the same price every month, while they offer less and less than before in every part of this game.

Edited by RswanBing

The AOE circle on the concrete was difficult to see.

I'm curious to know if the change from red was due to some folks not being able to see the color. I'm fine with it but we've had a few threads over the years pointing out the issue.

It would be a very welcome change over the normal policy to ignore accessibility issues.

Edited by dr_mike

I'm curious to know if the change from red was due to some folks not being able to see the color. I'm fine with it but we've had a few threads over the years pointing out the issue.

It would be a very welcome change over the normal policy to ignore accessibility issues.

Usually the solution to red green color blindness is to switch one color to something else, not to make everything monochromatic.

Usually the solution to red green color blindness is to switch one color to something else, not to make everything monochromatic.

Agreed but considering previous responses concerning accessibility access, they seem to a bit lost on how to approach it.

But again I've been told I'm not allowed to discuss that matter here on the forums.

edit: I have a feeling that it's just a bug. I only said what I said due to some of the posts up there. I can't see them all of the sudden looking into the previously reported accessibility concerns.

Edited by dr_mike

So, Assault on Tython. All AoE is green, friendly and hostile. Good luck surviving the first boss and his Orbital strikes, especially if you have an Operative healer, whose AoE heals look exactly the same. Making all AoE of the same color is so stupid, I can't even... As a long time subscriber, I really feel like I should unsub now. Not only because it's not worth of my money, but also because it's insulting. Well done.

So, Assault on Tython. All AoE is green, friendly and hostile. Good luck surviving the first boss and his Orbital strikes, especially if you have an Operative healer, whose AoE heals look exactly the same. Making all AoE of the same color is so stupid, I can't even... As a long time subscriber, I really feel like I should unsub now. Not only because it's not worth of my money, but also because it's insulting. Well done.

That's weird, I ran the solo version on Monday and all NPC AOE were red.

I noticed no colour difference in PVE at all since the change.

Can graphic settings influence the colour? Would seem odd, but I have experienced very odd graphic glitches in different games in the past (like the "metal hair" in DA:I when it was released).

I can't comment on PVP, but I guess they simply forgot an attribute / flag or something like that for the new graphics in PVP.

After reading this thread, I checked out the AoE's ingame with more attention, as I haven't noticed any different colors before. And I still don't. Did they fix this with yesterday's patch? Or does this depend on certain game-settings? Or on the kind of AoEs? I do like the new circle design though. Looks much better and clearer on my screen.

After reading this thread, I checked out the AoE's ingame with more attention, as I haven't noticed any different colors before. And I still don't. Did they fix this with yesterday's patch? Or does this depend on certain game-settings? Or on the kind of AoEs? I do like the new circle design though. Looks much better and clearer on my screen.

I love the clear, and more importantly unambiguous, nature of the new ring.

The colors however do need to reflect friendly vs unfriendly AoE in a conventional manner. I have not checked yet to see if they fixed this yet.

Edited by Andryah

I love the size of the new aoe ring. That much was nice to see the actual correct area that it covers. But I have to agree with the color issues. Even if they were different colors, with the small lines and me being color blind I still would be unable to tell friendly from enemy aoe in pvp matches. There was nothing wrong with the previous aoe rings other than the size was not always accurate.

I love the size of the new aoe ring. That much was nice to see the actual correct area that it covers. But I have to agree with the color issues. Even if they were different colors, with the small lines and me being color blind I still would be unable to tell friendly from enemy aoe in pvp matches. There was nothing wrong with the previous aoe rings other than the size was not always accurate.

This! That was the ONLY thing wrong with the previous AOE rings. :c And even then, most of them were accurate - I only noticed the Death From Above/Sweeping Gunfire for mercenaries (and its equivalent for commandos) were not accurate. Everything else was perfect. Parts of the previous AOE indicators even floated above the ground (and moved) so even when it was placed in a grassy area, you could easily tell where it was. Now...you can't. At all. :/

• 6 years later...

With Broadsword as dev now, could we bring this back up? I'm constantly seeing problems with people unable to differentiate between an enemy's green damage circle and teammate's green healing circle. For example, I noticed many people confused with the Rakghoul operation recently, with there being many green aoe's around, it was safer to avoid them ALL, healing be damned. This also applies to some purple circles out there as well. 
As a suggestion or consideration, for many years, Elder Scrolls Online has allowed players to customize their own AOE colors. Would that be possible here? This way, players can choose colors that most suit them, which could be especially helpful for those situations where, even if only "good" aoe's were green, that aoe might be in the grass. As for "bad" aoe's, in ESO, I always made them pink, simply because there was nothing inherent to the game that was pink, so pink was always a big NOPE. Bright and, better yet, unnatural colors, are wonderful for this! However, this may be immersion-breaking or just displeasing for others. 

11 hours ago, Kazuone said:

Mabye one day, color crystals will be our aoe colors !

That would be even harder to differentiate. Imagine seeing an operation or a pvp arena and there are green, red, yellow, orange, pink, and black+pink, black+green, black+white circles... Where can one stand safely? o.O

• Like 2

il y a 22 minutes, Quendorite a dit :

That would be even harder to differentiate. Imagine seeing an operation or a pvp arena and there are green, red, yellow, orange, pink, and black+pink, black+green, black+white circles... Where can one stand safely? o.O

Christmas everyday ! ;)
I just need blue/red ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Quendorite said:

Well, of course, my suggestion for custom colors is related more towards something like altering the UI in the same way one might alter chat colors. Customizations that apply to only the individual. Haha. Allowing individuals to get creative with your personal color customizations would have the same unintended --or potentially (definitely?) negative-- side effects as Bioware's own creativity. 

At any rate, is it inherently a complicated resolution for the sake of some truly game-changing QoL? Flip a switch here, change some script there, and BAM customizable AOEs! I think it's an amazing idea that would certainly make all content more approachable for new players and more enjoyable for veterans. It would improve life for everyone, in game, as a whole!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 3:09 AM, Kazuone said:

Mabye one day, color crystals will be our aoe colors ! need blue lightning ! ;)

OMG! I can only hope. I would love if Operative's Toxic Haze could be made smoke gray with a white color crystal instead of the current green mist.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2024 at 8:31 AM, TonyTricicolo said:

OMG! I can only hope. I would love if Operative's Toxic Haze could be made smoke gray with a white color crystal instead of the current green mist.

I mean, using crystals is certainly a novel idea. But I just want the ability to change/standardize the colors through in-game preferences to be simply "Color A = Stand here!!!" and "Color B = GTFO!!!" 😄 Much like we can change the colors for the class icons to our liking, without inherently affecting anyone else. 

2 hours ago, brandonstreett said:

But I just want the ability to change/standardize the colors through in-game preferences to be simply "Color A = Stand here!!!" and "Color B = GTFO!!!" 😄 

As long as there is an option to toggle it off   

4 hours ago, TonyTricicolo said:

As long as there is an option to toggle it off   

Right, but you wouldn't be able to see other people's colors anyways. It would just be a personal option. If you wanted to see all heal aoe's as, idk, chartreuse, only you would be able to see them that color, unless of course you're streaming or sharing screenshots. It would be just as personal an option as editing your UI or changing your keybindings. lol

• Like 1