ESO v. FFXIV

RudeDog

Which game is better? Pros and cons? Looking for a new home since 5.0 sucks. City of Heroes was my game of choice, so anything similar to the way they operated would be good (good community, alt friendly, mix of casual solo play and options for group play, significant content - badges, raids, missions, etc.). Any other option? WOW not a good option because i don't like the cartoon look.

Neither offer what COH had, My group has been searching for a home as well.

ESO is a totally different game play feel, kinds like DDO in hotkey style....way to few abilities.

FF was cool for a bit....until the last expansion that crippled our crafters that hadn't been in game for years. Made a huge wall that we couldn't brute force past. Gearing got way too crazy....group played followed that line.

Drop a line here if you find a home. We have 2 dozen or so looking to move.

I haven't tried ESO so I can't offer any advice there. I have tried FFXIV, and I find the actual game mechanics to be quite fun to play. The job system means you don't have to be an altaholic if you want to try out lots of different roles or pick up every crafting skill. Character customization options aren't nearly as expansive as City of Heroes (I loved that game too), but it's far better than TOR's; it even has sliders for height and muscle tone! The game is very friendly to new players, with lots of training type quests and small instances to help people learn how to use their abilities and work in groups. And no RNG in the cash shop! You buy exactly what you want when you want it!

There are some downsides, of course. While I find the environments very pretty, the catgirl race and the Precious Moments figurine race kind of break my immersion (not a huge anime fan here). There are limited housing plots, so if you don't already have a house or apartment, sucks to be you! You're going to have to hope you catch someone announcing one for sale in the area chat, or keep checking the district listings every single hour of every single day to see if someone stopped paying upkeep--oh yeah, housing has gil upkeep, can't forget that part. The story so far has left me kinda meh, though to be fair I haven't gotten out of the vanilla story yet, so maybe the expansion story is better.

Edited by AscendingSky

I like the way you guys playing other games, especially MMO's (Full time drain).

But:

1) You don't have time to Grind.

2) You know everything about SWTOR.

3) You love and care about SWTOR.

:^)

Ever considered...

1) We don't have time to Grind, because we have something better to do than engage in a repetitive and boring activity?

2) Knowledge is not mutually exclusive.. you can know things about more than one subject at a time.

3) Love and Care is not a mutually exclusive emotion, and you can love and care for more than one thing at a time?

Edited by Ecaja

I am enjoying leveling in ESO. I can't tell you about end game, since i haven't gotten there. There is lots to do and they handled level sync right. The combat takes some getting used to, there's no tab targeting. But, overall, so far I enjoy it and it doesn't make me nearly as frustrated as SWTOR 5.X does, which is a good thing.

How is pvp in either of those games and do they have gear grind for pvp or big gear gaps.

I wish I knew. In ESO everyone gets bolsterd to level 70, but I don't know how the gear compares. You learn crafting skills and are supposed to be able to make most stuff, however. My high level there is 27 out of 50, so I have a way to go. :) I log on there after raid in SWTOR and the other nights during the week when I would have been playing SWTOR a couple months ago.

How is pvp in either of those games and do they have gear grind for pvp or big gear gaps.

I LOVE Elder Scrolls Online. The engine is amazing, the crafting system is top-notch, and the combat system is the best I've found.

Two things keep me here:

1. Star Wars: The story and lore here simply can't be beat.

2. PvP: Before you start giggling, hear me out. PvP in ESO feels 100% different than PvE play because of collision. What has impact in PvE feels SUPER floaty in PvP. Another thing is the way skills interact. PvP there is basically super-gank or super-tank. You're either dead before you realize you've entered combat or fights will take a month of Sundays due to the way resources work. PvP here FEELS more substantial to me, and the pacing of play (thanks to the global cooldown) makes it feel more tactical.

Them's my 2 credits. :cool:

It is funny that you mention the Engine. ESO and SWTOR use the same Engine, except that ESO was smart enough to heavily modify it.

I think the ESO peeps also shelled out for the complete version of the engine. I've been told by people who know more about this stuff than I that SWTOR uses a beta version of the same engine.

I LOVE Elder Scrolls Online. The engine is amazing, the crafting system is top-notch, and the combat system is the best I've found.

Two things keep me here:

1. Star Wars: The story and lore here simply can't be beat.

2. PvP: Before you start giggling, hear me out. PvP in ESO feels 100% different than PvE play because of collision. What has impact in PvE feels SUPER floaty in PvP. Another thing is the way skills interact. PvP there is basically super-gank or super-tank. You're either dead before you realize you've entered combat or fights will take a month of Sundays due to the way resources work. PvP here FEELS more substantial to me, and the pacing of play (thanks to the global cooldown) makes it feel more tactical.

Them's my 2 credits. :cool:

I only want to pvp and that does not seem a fun way to pvp for a newbie to the game.

I'm afraid I can't tell you much about PvP in FFXIV on a personal level (I'm still so very much a scrub and haven't had the guts to stick my toes into that particular pool), but I know my friends who play the game on a regular basis as opposed to my every now and then really like the PvP there. Also, you can get special items for completing achievements like "finish X number of PvP matches". Like outfits! That actually look good! Which means I will be trying to get into the PvP eventually, scrub status be damned...

Haven't tried FFIV yet, but I highly recommend ESO. I've been playing it off and on for a month or so, and the more I play it, the more I like it. Unlike this game (or any other MMO that I've played to be honest) the world actually feels real. It's genuinely a great RPG experience. I haven't tried pvp yet, but I've heard it's not as great as other games. It's more of a "take your time leveling and explore the world" game. I'm having a TON of fun with the combat system and being able to level up different abilities to try out different builds.

I plan on moving over there for my main MMO until I decide whether or not it's worth it to resub for the content we're getting here in April.

I only played FFXIV for a bit (I'd love to keep playing it. I'm just not 100% ready to give up on my local community) so I never got to try the PvP since it's mostly endgame. From what I've heard from other people that played it, most of them think the PvP is pretty weak (though I'm not sure if this is just because most MMOs feel that way about their PvP).

They did have some cool features though that I wish I'd see more often, such as PvP-only abilities. One of the modes also has role restrictions so the teams are more evenly set up. It's also regularly updated. It seems like every time I check the game every few months, they've added a new mode or feature in their PvP. With that said, it's not an MMO that you get for the PvP from what I'm told.

From what I'm told, the pvp in both games is terrible, especially if you have bad ping like I do in Oz. FF14 has a weird input lag that takes getting used to, and ESO has different combat entirely and I think the pvp is open world. If you have your heart set on a new pvp game, WOW is about the closest there is to swtor but the balance in the Legion expansion is just total garbage and pvper's have fled the game.

If you can hold out, Revelation Online looks to be your best bet, or maybe Bless if you can wait that long. But remember these are Asian mmo's so likely to be p2w. Then there is Camelot Unchained and Crowfall coming out at the end of 2017, two big pvp games.

From what I'm told, the pvp in both games is terrible, especially if you have bad ping like I do in Oz. FF14 has a weird input lag that takes getting used to, and ESO has different combat entirely and I think the pvp is open world. If you have your heart set on a new pvp game, WOW is about the closest there is to swtor but the balance in the Legion expansion is just total garbage and pvper's have fled the game.

If you can hold out, Revelation Online looks to be your best bet, or maybe Bless if you can wait that long. But remember these are Asian mmo's so likely to be p2w. Then there is Camelot Unchained and Crowfall coming out at the end of 2017, two big pvp games.

Did wow for 9 years straight after it launched. I tried to go back and I just can't bring myself to play a game that still requires you to use third party addons just to get a basic GUI that is customisable. Also it looks so child like after coming from swtor.

Did wow for 9 years straight after it launched. I tried to go back and I just can't bring myself to play a game that still requires you to use third party addons just to get a basic GUI that is customisable. Also it looks so child like after coming from swtor.

LOL yeah I understand completely, I'm still subbed but hardly play wow anymore. It just looks so old now, and as I said the class balance is atrocious. I don't think they care about pvp anymore since they launched Overwatch.

The only game I know that has no Gear Grind in the PVP is Guild Wars 2. After the opening quests you can go directly into the PVP and have all the talents and best gear. One hour to get all 9 classes ready for PVP. Also a very good Open PVP system. As a PVP player it is a paradise. And costs only once the purchase of the game, no subscription.

AND, No premades in rated, Premades can only play Unrated.

Edited by Magira

Wanted to try out FFXIV but I couldn't get access to the trial. Made an account, it said "This account is not eligible, you need to make a trial account." Made a second account, said "You are not allowed to do this." Shook fist, came back to SWTOR.

I got overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff to do in Skyrim so I never tried ESO. I don't think my computer could handle that anyway.

I only want to pvp and that does not seem a fun way to pvp for a newbie to the game.

As someone who has generally hated PvP in the 15 years I've been playing MMO games (and, yes, I've tried it in every game I've played, even SWTOR), I find myself actually looking forward to it in ESO and am part of a PvP guild there (Where their #1 Rule is "Don't be a d**k."-which I really, really liked.) There's a couple different campaigns that you can call "home." For lowbies, there's Blackwater Blade which is 10-50 (can't enter Cyrodiil until 10, sorry) and they don't use Champion Points (the AA points you get when you level after 50). AND, unlike here, Champion points are account wide-like Diablo 3. But that doesn't matter, it doesn't count in THAT campaign. Then there's another campaign (Azura's Star) which is for when you "Vet Out" of Blackwater Blade and hit 50. That's all 50th level characters but, again, Champion points aren't counted. So it's not QUITE the gank fest. So when you're just starting out and don't have the benefit of twinking your character, there's some really good campaigns to get started in.

Obviously there's campaigns where Champion Points are counted but as someone who has yet to hit 50 on their first character, let alone earn any Vet points, I don't know how those play out.

ESO's PvP is also very "Map gain" heavy. At least the campaign I play is. Yeah, you're still running around killing other players, but the real meat of it is sieging (or defending) Keeps and obtaining Elder Scrolls for your faction. Each campaign lasts a week and then your score is wiped out and you start fresh (you do keep all the Alliance Points-AP-you gain though and you use it to buy siege weapons, wall/door repairs kits, and such. That's their PvP currency). Oh, and if you happen to be #1 in your faction AND your faction obtains all 6 Keeps and 2 Elder Scrolls, you're crowned "Emperor" and you get a whole new skill line you can put points into. And even when you get dethroned you still get to keep the title, costume, and skill line.

I cannot begin to sing enough praises for ESO's PvP. I really can't. Like, I brag about how I was #7 in my faction (Don't have the time to TOTALLY dedicate myself to PvP plus I also like to PvE) so, again as someone who generally doesn't like PvP in other games, ESO's is actually really, REALLY good. Honestly, I think it's worth checking out.

*this post was written as my character was crafting in ESO-a nice way to wind down after a long night of PvPing :D *

Edited by AngFour

Which game is better? Pros and cons? Looking for a new home since 5.0 sucks. City of Heroes was my game of choice, so anything similar to the way they operated would be good (good community, alt friendly, mix of casual solo play and options for group play, significant content - badges, raids, missions, etc.). Any other option? WOW not a good option because i don't like the cartoon look.

Having played CoH from almost the start til it's end, I'd say FFXIV is the better choice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.