Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ben and Bioware remains silent about the critisism for 5.1.

Dreez

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't we talk about server closings since 5.0? None.

Server population since 5.0? Steady to rising.

Total population since 5.0? Well, if lots of people were quitting, I'm sure they would have actually changed something. So, I'd guess things are fine.

The decline revenue in SWTOR is why they made the changes. This new method is to stop the decline. All you folks seem to think is going back to a system that had a decline would be a good idea.

Try looking at those, then go back and find data to back up your claims.

Current populations: http://mirror.torstatus.net/shards/us/trends

A year ago (After they did the server upgrades): http://web.archive.org/web/20160125091419/http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/trends

And, to add to this, almost empty servers still show as light which makes things look a bit better than they really are.

I only play on the one, and that's the one I speak for. You're the one claiming this guy proved populations are down on all servers.

I made the claim and backed it up with the video proof. You simply go by your observation without reviewing the proof.

And apparently, there are a lot of people who do not share your optimistic viewpoint on server populations:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=910932

Edited by Wayshuba

Try looking at those, then go back and find data to back up your claims.

Current populations: http://mirror.torstatus.net/shards/us/trends

A year ago (After they did the server upgrades): http://web.archive.org/web/20160125091419/http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/trends

And, to add to this, almost empty servers still show as light which makes things look a bit better than they really are.

To be fair, some servers like JM have slightly more people on them now. I can remember rep side fleet pops in the 1-5 range back in October but the last time I played on the server there were almost 10 people on fleet (including gold sellers)!

I made the claim and backed it up with the video proof. You simply go by your observation without reviewing the proof.

And apparently, there are a lot of people who do not share your optimistic viewpoint on server populations:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=910932

My observation is all I need, because I play on it every night. I know that anyone saying harb's pop has dropped since 5.0 is full of ****.

My observation is all I need, because I play on it every night. I know that anyone saying harb's pop has dropped since 5.0 is full of ****.

Well then, your observation seems to be bucking more than one source of disagreement (even on your own server):

http://mirror.torstatus.net/shards/us/trends

I am done with this point. Yes, Harbinger is the one server that BW needs. It will keep them in business. The other 16 servers are not needed at all.

Well then, your observation seems to be bucking more than one source of disagreement (even on your own server):

http://mirror.torstatus.net/shards/us/trends

I am done with this point. Yes, Harbinger is the one server that BW needs. It will keep them in business. The other 16 servers are not needed at all.

My observation seems to match exactly what that graph says for Harbinger.

Of course they remain silent.

It was a quickly added patch that added in 5 equally uninteresting uprisings as the first 5 combined with some of the worst gearing changes since 5.0 that doesn't put the game in a better position to retain gamers. RNG and then more RNG trying to fix the terrible RNG.

There is nothing they could say that would fix GC and the terrible RNG we have along with the poor content we got.

Nothing I can think of besides pulling a FF14 and just starting over. There not bold enough to do that so there is nothing to say.

Which is.... that there has been a population decline since Jan. 3? The graph is showing a decline since the beginning of the month!

Not for Harb it doesn't. Some dip after the 8th...but I invite you to log in and see for yourself.

Edited by Vember

There Clueless as to how MMO are supposed to work no one likes the changes we don't play a game to grind gear we play to enjoy our self. BW has lost sight of that you can not shoe horn in gear grind that takes a year till the next expac to get bis and expect people to like that. gearing now is to slow if it was not broken don't fix it as you will loose those that have supported you since launch. with them being silent on how unhappy we are gearing to stay competitive when you pvp every day for a week to get 2 peaces of gear is like battlemaster at launch we complained then gearing was to slow. By rebooting gearing they killed all motivation. Edited by Neoforcer

Not for Harb it doesn't. Some dip after the 8th...but I invite you to log in and see for yourself.

The links I gave you show some interesting things. Among them that a year ago Harbinger was at 1.99, now it is at 1.56. That's a 21.6% drop year over year. That's not good, particularly since people have been transferring to Harbinger from lower population servers and we are a month closer to the release of the latest expansion.

The links I gave you show some interesting things. Among them that a year ago Harbinger was at 1.99, now it is at 1.56. That's a 21.6% drop year over year. That's not good, particularly since people have been transferring to Harbinger from lower population servers and we are a month closer to the release of the latest expansion.

For April it shows 2.41, and yet the graph shows numbers below standard, less than now.

For April it shows 2.41, and yet the graph shows numbers below standard, less than now.

It's relative, not absolute. You'd need to look at a specific date in April this year and compare to April last year. you also can't compare to older data because they upgraded the servers before 4.0 dropped, so comparisons aren't valid since the new hardware can handle more users.

Edited by DanNV

Actually, the forum defenders represent the minority. The vocal forum warriors have the facts on their side.

To whit:

• Over 180 servers at launch to 17 servers today.
  • Servers constantly at heavy to full loads at launch (sometimes having to wait in queue for an hour just to log in) to servers barely ever getting past light at present
  • 2 million players at launch down to 200,000 six months later (which doubled to 400,000 when F2P launched)
  • Four servers with okay populations today (TRE, JC, Har, BC), rest are almost ghost towns.
  • Three straight quarters of EA commenting on the declining revenue in SWTOR.

The problem is and always has been, that people think that the "vocal forum warriors", as you put it, represent the minority. Stinks when facts say otherwise though.

Very well said indeed. Let's see how the white knights can tackle this one.

Some can be quite reasonable, some cannot. Remember the last time a class developer put his foot in the pool he got stalked and his family got death threats. Plenty of addicts in this game have 0 perspective and will turn from fluffy happy bunnies to furious wolverines at the drop of a hat if they get told the wrong thing in the wrong way.

One act by a truly crazy person is not representative of the forums or the player population. On a side note, the devs have created and fostered this environment of wolverines. They have no one to blame, but themselves. Lack of communication and flippant attitude towards the players, what do you expect.

If the devs would flood us consistently with info, than they would find we would be very different in response to them.

Edited by Darkside

Not to worry I am sure tomorrow in the live stream they will devote 10 mins to recaping 5.0, 10 mins recaping 5.1 and then 10 mins recaping uprisings.

5.1 didn't seem to fix the system and we have a long wait for any further improvements, if they can't see that for themselves the game is not going to last.

The vocal forum warriors don't represent the vast majority of players. They have access to metrics to show them if it is successful or not.

But you yourself are a vocal forum warrior - just with a different view to the majority of other vocal forum warriors.

So taking this small community ( forums ) as a sample of the whole community we can conclude far more people are dissatisfied with the 5.x cycle so far than are happy with it. I doubt you have anything to demonstrate the contrary except words.

Not to worry I am sure tomorrow in the live stream they will devote 10 mins to recaping 5.0, 10 mins recaping 5.1 and then 10 mins recaping uprisings.

5.1 didn't seem to fix the system and we have a long wait for any further improvements, if they can't see that for themselves the game is not going to last.

Actually it's about upcoming Feb and march content and they've hinted that we will get some returning companion news

Server population since 5.0? Steady to rising.

Torstatus paints a different picture ( assuming we don't want to go back in time to compare because it's even more dire then ). Small boost from launch to start of Jan and in decline from start of Jan to now.

Total population since 5.0? Well, if lots of people were quitting, I'm sure they would have actually changed something. So, I'd guess things are fine.

5.1 - they did change things. If things were steady and risings why not ignore t his supposed minority you talk of and leave things as they were?

The decline revenue in SWTOR is why they made the changes. This new method is to stop the decline. All you folks seem to think is going back to a system that had a decline would be a good idea.

Less players year on year for this period on time is going to mean a HUGE decline in revenue. If they aren't pulling back the numbers they had last year ( and they aren't ) they aren't addressing the problem at all.

Seeing as how the server I play on is more crowded now than it was in October, i'm still calling BS.

Lol believe it or not I would actually agree with this. Harb is indeed more crowded now than October but honestly October was a really low bar to compare to.

The more telling and worrying trend is how we compare to this time last year and every previously. Last year trend on trend is fairly accurate but prior to that it's harder to tell because we did get a boost in server capacity last year which means the earlier years could have hit "heavy" status with less people than now.

Yep, Harb is where I play and we are still very busy. Not sure what people are saying. But the mad people on the forums want to believe their is some kind of wild wave of cancelled subscriptions. If that were true, Bioware would have made drastic changes already.

One act by a truly crazy person is not representative of the forums or the player population. On a side note, the devs have created and fostered this environment of wolverines. They have no one to blame, but themselves. Lack of communication and flippant attitude towards the players, what do you expect.

If the devs would flood us consistently with info, than they would find we would be very different in response to them.

It wasn't just one act or just one person in the case I referred to. And while the incident was historically extreme, I've seen several devs and community reps/managers get crucified on these forums in the past

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.