The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Any1 else wanna know what were paying for?

MVPddark

Here is a legit question.... *** am i paying for...

i go into gamestation to get this game coz my mate says its quite a fun mmo, to find that i am being asked to pay £45 for the game. Ok fine i can deal with that, new release title ect you expect to be paying £30 and up. However i then notice that you need to have an online subscription to play.... of £9 a month. So what have i paid £45 for?

This game is made by a bunch of greedy *****s just like that of WoW. They arnt happy enough to make the millions out of you by selling the game alone, they have to go that 1 bit further and squeeze as much out of you as they possibly can. Think of games like Guildwars. Im sure most of you MMO fans will have played guildwars, and found that after paying your £20 for the game you dont have to pay any more and you get all content and updates absolutely free.. Why is it that they can do it and SWTOR cant? and its all down to greed. Tbh if your gunna expect people to pay to play the game then make the game itself free.. how can you charge some1 so much for a bunch of discs they cant use untill they pay you more.

Before u all sit there going troll.. troll.. troll, think about it... what is that £9 a month ur paying actually buying you that the £45 you paid to get the game didnt.... ur not getting any benifits, any added content or anything like that just teh ability to play the game you already bought

Edited by Vastalee
inap content

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm you try running a bunch of servers and paying service provides for hosting services each month in order for people to play.

It's pretty standard for an MMO to charge a monthly fee because it is not free to keep those servers running.

If you come from the FPS world then most servers you play on are also paid for by the server owners and cost money.

Nothing comes free in this world, welcome to reality

It is a P2P (Pay to Play) MMO. You buy the game (software) and get your first intial month free. If you want to continue playing then after your first 30 days you have to pay a monthly fee. You pay montly for electirc, tv etc right....same thing. You want something....pay for it.

i go into gamestation to get this game coz my mate says its quite a fun mmo, to find that i am being asked to pay £45 for the game. Ok fine i can deal with that, new release title ect you expect to be paying £30 and up. However i then notice that you need to have an online subscription to play.... of £9 a month. So what have i paid £45 for?

This game is made by a bunch of greedy *****s just like that of WoW. They arnt happy enough to make the millions out of you by selling the game alone, they have to go that 1 bit further and squeeze as much out of you as they possibly can. Think of games like Guildwars. Im sure most of you MMO fans will have played guildwars, and found that after paying your £20 for the game you dont have to pay any more and you get all content and updates absolutely free.. Why is it that they can do it and SWTOR cant? and its all down to greed. Tbh if your gunna expect people to pay to play the game then make the game itself free.. how can you charge some1 so much for a bunch of discs they cant use untill they pay you more.

Before u all sit there going troll.. troll.. troll, think about it... what is that £9 a month ur paying actually buying you that the £45 you paid to get the game didnt.... ur not getting any benifits, any added content or anything like that just teh ability to play the game you already bought

New to MMOs? The intial cost of the game is the initial purchase cost as you'd get with any game plus one month free. This covers the cost of the game's initial production, packaging too and all that crap. They NEED to make their initial investment back on the initial sales, otherwise they risk losing money if the game flops... You then pay the monthly fee for a number of things:

Server costs

Maintence costs

Data storage

Continued Development. (They don't pull those patches out of their arse)

And please don't compare a full blown MMO to a game that was about as MMO as Diablo 2. I don't know where people get off spouting Guild Wars is an MMO. If it is, so is Diablo 2. It's a LOT cheaper to run, a LOT less players, a LOT less content and considerably little development being put into it. It's apples to oranges.

Edited by Vastalee
removed part of quote

I paid for a product that was delivered to my liking. After the researching the game, watching the videos, reading the boards and being invited to the Beta test, I will say that I am happy with my purchase.

Where does my money go? It goes to BioWare with the expectation that they will make the game better. Since I give it to them, it's up to them on how they spend the money on the game. If they do not make it better, I will probably not play it anymore. I'm funny like that. I've quit playing many games prior to playing this one, and I continue to play other games with TOR. Again, I'm funny like that.

Moving forward, BioWare has free license to spend the money I give them in anyway they see fit for their product. I don't need them to open the books and show me what is going where, or which team in development is getting what, or even what decisions the teams and developers are making. Being a customer to their business, I will continue my business with them until such time I don't feel the need anymore. I'm certainly not knocking on the managers door at a restaurant asking to see the books and demanding what the chefs are developing for weekly dinners, I accept they either are or aren't, and I have zero input to their business practices. I offer them money for their product, nothing more.

fact is there r games out there which r also mmo's that can do the same but for free, it seems that u all just like to throw ur mums money around without a thought of what ur actually doing with it lmao

if hosting is so expensive then y is it that guildwars can let you play for free and give you content? And with other things you pay for you can buy the game and still play without having to pay a subscription.... most games come with an OPTIONAL fee that gives you added benifits, like with xbox.. you can still play the games you buy without having to pay to go online.

like i said it comes down to greed.

Edited by Vastalee

Ummm you try running a bunch of servers and paying service provides for hosting services each month in order for people to play.

It's pretty standard for an MMO to charge a monthly fee because it is not free to keep those servers running.

If you come from the FPS world then most servers you play on are also paid for by the server owners and cost money.

What about F2P MMOs how do they keep them running?

Guild wars.

SMD YOU GREEDY FAT ****

Don't worry I can assure you this game will be free to play before the end of 2012, it's not a proper mmo.

And please don't compare a full blown MMO to a game that was about as MMO as Diablo 2. I don't know where people get off spouting Guild Wars is an MMO. If it is, so is Diablo 2. It's a LOT cheaper to run, a LOT less players, a LOT less content and considerably little development being put into it. It's apples to oranges.

I certainly hope you are not serious. Guild Wars has a TON of content and at its peak had A LOT of players, it also had regular expansion packs.

fact is there r games out there which r also mmo's that can do the same but for free, it seems that u all just like to throw ur mums money around without a thought of what ur actually doing with it lmao

if hosting is so expensive then y is it that guildwars can let you play for free and give you content? And with other things you pay for you can buy the game and still play without having to pay a subscription.... most games come with an OPTIONAL fee that gives you added benifits, like with xbox.. you can still play the games you buy without having to pay to go online.

like i said it comes down to greed.. and by the looks of it u lot r all stupid enough to go along with it lmao maybe when ur old enough to have jobs you'l understand where im coming from

GW ( and by extension GW2) is supported by NCsoft. They were if you will the MMO champs for the longest time. On top of that they have several successful franchise, existing server space, and an existing F2P model, which involves micro transaction to get gimmicky things.

Take a look at WOW, the only reason they can do think like offer D3 for free with a full year of subscription is because the WOW subsidization.

This is Bioware first MMO, backed by EA who is normally associated with FPS and Sports. I think this game is spectacular for an initial release and 15$ a month is worth support another player in the MMO scene especially Bioware whom seem to remeber games have stories to tell.

All that's been said is that its needed to maintain the game... explain how f2p games can do the same, as well as games like Guildwars that can do all this without charging? Like i said if your happy to sit there paying out for nothing then great thumbs up to you, but one day when you earn your own money, you might start to stop and think about where its actually going...

F2P games don't exist. There is Freemium, Sales Revenue, 'Expansion' pack or box sales that create revenue.

I know full well where my money is going, it's going toward the development of patches and new content that BW have already said will be released weekly (Every Tuesday). The content you get in so called "F2P" games that is hyped up and spends months in development is delivered in a quarter of the time in a title like this, with vastly more polish and much more varied content.

The stuff you'll be palmed off with as a so called "Expansion" is a minor content patch in a traditional MMO.