Explain to me why do we need a MBA to understand gearing up now?

Deewe

I'm quite sure that this is only the beginning of travelling don the logical --to them-- route:

Sooner than Soon, there will be, if not explicit pay-for-power (IE, "Pay to win/P2W") in the cash-shop, then at least "pay to progress 100x faster" or maybe "pay to guarantee your next drops for 24 hours," or something that, eventually, even the most ardently anti-cash-shop people like me will finally resign themselves to buying just to make the unholy grind finally go away.

(I suspect that the release of this stuff will coincide with the release of new large-group content that they've finally deigned to make rumblings about. It makes sense if they make that content a lot harder than what we have at present, and well...You gotta be geared for that, right?)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said in the other thread, the old system was much more confusing to newbies. Four types of currencies, dozens of NPC vendors, just to get your starter 60/65 gear. This system has them getting usable loot right out the box, literally.

Once they start getting frustrated with command crates (which takes longer for newbies than it does for vets), they have components and tokens to upgrade their gear or add a missing piece. If they don't figure it out or learn about it, no big deal as they can stock them up for later use. In fact, the longer you hold onto the new currencies in 5.1 the better chances you have of not wasting them.

Stop insulting our intelligence.

Anyone who can't figure out such a straightforward system as we had pre-train-wreck probably shouldn't even be going out un-assisted as a potential danger to themselves, let alone gaming.

Whose sock-puppet are you, anyway?

Ben's, perchance?

It's really not that hard to understand. I agree it seems long winded and unnecessary. When there was already a much simplistic method already in place. As in you get gear though drops from boss's in high end activities and use venders.

I like command rank a lot and think it's grate for us solo players. There was no reason though that both methods could not have been done. Still I guess BW looked at it been that op's players would be getting double rewards if doing so. As in getting gear from drops from boss's and gear from CR. All they needed to do was just drop CR points from Op's but still give gear as they did before. CR points could still be gotten though any other activities in game same as everyone else. If BW did that though there would still be just as many complaints.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

Anyone who can't figure out such a straightforward system as we had pre-train-wreck probably shouldn't even be going out un-assisted as a potential danger to themselves, let alone gaming.

Ben's, perchance?

As opposed to just been insulting!!!!

After careful consideration and analysis of the new simplified gearing system, I have to conclude that the entire staff at EA/BW-Austin is completely and totally insane. Not even the white knights that swarm to EA/BW-Austin's defense seem too interested in defending this mess.

Good luck to all who elect to remain and grind away while praying to RNGesus. As for me, I'm through giving this company my money and my time.

Welcome to the club.

Like I said in the other thread, the old system was much more confusing to newbies. Four types of currencies, dozens of NPC vendors, just to get your starter 60/65 gear. This system has them getting usable loot right out the box, literally.

Once they start getting frustrated with command crates (which takes longer for newbies than it does for vets), they have components and tokens to upgrade their gear or add a missing piece. If they don't figure it out or learn about it, no big deal as they can stock them up for later use. In fact, the longer you hold onto the new currencies in 5.1 the better chances you have of not wasting them.

You might want to go back to your cubicle and tell Musco you failed.

The previous gearing system wasn't broken. The only confusing thing about it for new players was trying to figure out which set to buy. If they had named them nice, clear names that would have fixed it. But then the new system wasn't supposed to be simple or increase access to gear. It was designed, per EA financial statements, to keep subs subbed longer and playing longer. That's it. That's the entire real goal. The rest is lies and subterfuge to try to keep people from leaving.

Ben's, perchance?

Have you ever tried to explain MMO gearing to someone with no experience what-so-ever, like your GF/Family Member?

Q: "How do I get cool stuff?"

A: "So you play the game and you get crystals/comms depending on the difficulty. Then you find a vendor that suits the gear you need."

Q: "How do I know what gear I need?"

A: "Well you need to find the gear with stats that suit your role, since you're DPS you want gear with crit, accuracy and alacrity"

A: "Oh, and don't use green crystals on gear. Save those for companion gifts.

Q: "What's that?"

A: "You buy them from that other vendor and give them to your companion so it grows stronger"

Q: "Ok... Where are the vendors again?"

A: "Vendors are in the fleet"

Q: "And how do I get the good crystals, you know the non-green ones and the "comms"?"

A: "You get the non-green ones from flashpoints and other challenging activities, and comms from PvP".

A: "And comms vendors give you different gear PvP with a PvP stat called expertise. But they also give set bonuses".

Q: "uh ok... How do I know which set bonus gear to get?"

A: "Well you find gear that suits the abilities you use, look at your hotkey bar for the ability names and find sets that relate to that ability"

A: "So you play the game and you get command crates, those will have the gear you need."

After careful consideration and analysis of the new simplified gearing system, I have to conclude that the entire staff at EA/BW-Austin is completely and totally insane. Not even the white knights that swarm to EA/BW-Austin's defense seem too interested in defending this mess.

Good luck to all who elect to remain and grind away while praying to RNGesus. As for me, I'm through giving this company my money and my time.

Interesting, I thought they might be many things, but hadn't considered insanity. I think you've nailed it!

A: "So you play the game and you get command crates, those will have the gear you need."

Don't you mean:

A:"So you play the game and get command crates. They will occasionally have gear you might need, but usually you'll disintegrate everything in them."

You are really reaching trying to defend this system. REALLY reaching.

Don't you mean:

A:"So you play the game and get command crates. They will occasionally have gear you might need, but usually you'll disintegrate everything in them."

You are really reaching trying to defend this system. REALLY reaching.

New players will usually not disintegrate everything, we're talking about players without a single piece of gear above 220.

I suggest you take a break from posting if you're going through someone's post history in order to find a red herring that wins an argument.

EDIT: Also you can check out my EVE-O forums post history as well, same name as this one, yes I named my account after my EVE-O main.

Edited by Eli_Porter

I don't care if it's simpler or more convoluted than before, all I know is that it's one heck of a grind. I stopped doing PVP back when Strongholds first came out because, frankly, I'm not very good at it, and veteran players were way ahead of me gear-wise.

Then along comes 4.0 and suddenly it becomes very easy to acquire a full set of 204 PvP gear that was very decent to play most of the pve environment. And with full 2018 Expertise I ceased to be blaster-fodder in pvp matches. The game was fun again!

One week after 5.0 launched I was blaster-fodder again. I do pvp now because... frankly, I don't even know. It's so frustrating. And here I was thinking the end of Expertise might be a good idea... feh.

Eric,

Information is good and appreciated.

No pun intended, the new system is a mess.

We should be able to summarize it in like 3-5 bullet points so any newcomer and more casual player would get it immediately.

Something like:

• Any looted gear is bound to legacy and becomes permanently bound to a character when used
  • CXP is now legacy wide.
  • Gear comes in 3 tiers: Mk15= 230, Mk17= 236, Mk19 = 242

Well, I have an MBA, but it was definitely NOT required to understand what was presented. Nice attempt at snark by you though. :rolleyes:

I get why they were so verbose this time around on what is coming in 5.1 ----> because when they keep is succinct, and in bullet form, they just end up with upteen different threads all asking a different question because somehow the bullet points were not clear enough for the some reader.

Poor Eric, can't win with the goldilocks crowd.... things are always too hot or too cold for some.

As for the actual changes coming in 5.1, It divides the player base (because it returns to favoring raider and PvPers over any other form of content play, which was what they appear to have wanted to overcome with GC.. so they are not working in their own best interests with 5.1, much less that of players.

The entire thing is designed to keep you grinding GC so you'll stay subbed and play more. This new system does nothing to change that.

With the addition of CXP boosts to the Cartel Store and now with 5.1's Ponzi tiers this is the goal of 5.0.

The simple solution would have been remove and replace command crate junk (green gear) with more purple gear and set pieces.

The simple solution would have been to either substantially reduce CXP needed for higher ranks or substantially increase - if not double CXP across the board.

Have you ever tried to explain MMO gearing to someone with no experience what-so-ever, like your GF/Family Member?

A: "So you play the game and you get crystals/comms depending on the difficulty. Then you find a vendor that suits the gear you need."

Q: "How do I know what gear I need?"

A: "Well you need to find the gear with stats that suit your role, since you're DPS you want gear with crit, accuracy and alacrity"

A: "Oh, and don't use green crystals on gear. Save those for companion gifts.

Q: "What's that?"

A: "You buy them from that other vendor and give them to your companion so it grows stronger"

Q: "Ok... Where are the vendors again?"

A: "Vendors are in the fleet"

Q: "And how do I get the good crystals, you know the non-green ones and the "comms"?"

A: "You get the non-green ones from flashpoints and other challenging activities, and comms from PvP".

A: "And comms vendors give you different gear PvP with a PvP stat called expertise. But they also give set bonuses".

Q: "uh ok... How do I know which set bonus gear to get?"

A: "Well you find gear that suits the abilities you use, look at your hotkey bar for the ability names and find sets that relate to that ability"

I'm sorry but that is taking the 4.7 gearing to the extreme while acting like 5.1 is simple which it is not so lets write up 5.1 in the same way,

Q: "Ok I got this Orange rifle on my jedi and I can't equip it?"

A: Oh that cosmetic and you can't use it

Q: "You said I was to equip the stuff in the crate but I can't"

A: No you can't equip all the stuff in the crate just the usable stuff

Q: 'Ok I got some orange armor, I put it on and my stats got worse

A: No you don't want to equip the orange gear unless you like the look of it, in which case you should use the cosmetic gear system

Q: So you are saying I shouldn't equip the gear I get in the crates?

A: Yes I mean no, I mean only equip the green, blue, purple or yellow gear

Q: So whats the best gear?

A: Well yellow but all your gear is rubbish unless you have looted some blue or purple gear in which case that will be alright.

Q: So I got a green belt should I equip that

A: Yes unless you have got a better blue or purple or yellow belt

Q: Ok I got another green belt should I equip that one

A: No you should take the mods out of it and put it in a different piece of gear that has worse mods

Q: OK now I have a purple tier 1 belt but a blue tier 2 belt which should I equip

A: The blue belt, unless you have a set piece bonus from the tier 1 belt, unless you have a set piece bonus but have 3 or 5 or 7 piece with a set piece bonus in which case you should use the blue belt

Q: Are you sure, I feel like once I have epic level gear its a step back to go to prototype gear?

A: Charles said we had to stop thinking of green and blue gear as being bad so do what he says

Q: I'm confused I've been grinding for 100 hours and I'm still just getting the same gear pieces shouldn't I be working towards a full set

A: Yes and No, its very simple you just have to disintegrate the stuff you have duplicates of or pass it over to your alts via legacy gear in which you have to remove the armoring, enhancement and mod though not all gear has an enhancement and put it in the legacy gear, but you will only be able to put head in head and the like got it good. However if disintegrate stuff you will get a small number of points towards the next rank so you have to decide if you want to pass the gear to your alt or disintegrate it and buy crafted gear simple.

Q: Okay but all I seem to be doing is getting the same to pieces is there anyway to work towards the rest of the set.

A: Nothing could be simpler, you need to complete Operations and each boss will have a small chance to drop a random loot piece and the last boss will drop a guaranteed piece of a set type. Once you have these you will be able to trade them in at a vendor on the fleet along with some coms that you have gotten from the galactic command crates.

Q: Okay I'm too stupid to understand a few different vendors on fleet, like Ben said, and now you want me to find one?

A: Screw you, this is such a simpler system than 3 different types of crystal and finding the vendor is the simplest part.... oh yeah that was meant to be the think that new players were too thick to understand.

"

A: "You don't. You will never be able to play this game enough to get cool stuff from Command Crates but please keep paying and trying because "the thrill of the hunt" in trying is totally worth it."

Fixed that for your to make it a little bit more realistic. ;)

New players will usually not disintegrate everything, we're talking about players without a single piece of gear above 220.

Most players at level 70 aren't new - I imagine there are very few people buying a start @ 65 token and skipping kotfe who are brand new.

But hey, let's pretend that there is a massive majority of these players and this whole system was designed to suit these imaginary players if it suits your argument eh?

Based on our "pretend scenario" come level GC 30+ they will most likely be disintegrating most things as they will be getting mostly duplicates of things they've had before. They mist likely won't even think to be stripping out the mods/enhancements from gear to use in other areas because they are new and that's far too advanced for them right?

I still call them basic, elite and ultimate coms xD

Same, too often I have to correct myself from comms to crystals. Seems I was just getting used to them and "whammo gone".

Now it's ... unassembled pieces, unassembled parts/tokens/something ( im trying not to look up the correct terminology here because that's how *********** confusing it is - i cannot remember their name already heh )and galactic tokens and somehow these things fit together.

OH and let's not forget the part where we need to actually keep the previous piece of gear if we want to use those unassembled parts to buy a piece of a better tier. Not to mention we don't know if we can still do so if we rip the mods/enhancements from it ...

Nah this isn't a confusing system at all. :rolleyes:

"Explain to me why do we need a MBA to understand gearing up now?"

Bioware have started a community education service to make people go to college and get off welfare :p

Ha!

In all seriousness though, there's still a lot of unanswered questions. One that keeps coming up is what *exactly* can you turn in as T1 gear to get T2 gear?

The dev post only mentions turning in T1 gear bought FROM THE VENDOR to get T2 gear from the vendor.

A lot of players (myself included) are assuming that you will be able to turn in the current T1 set pieces from the crates too. The problem is, THE DEVS DID NOT SAY THIS. They only mention turning in the T1 shell bought from the gear vendor. So it is kind of ambiguous.

And then there's the other T1 shells, green (228) and blue or purple non-set (230). What about those? *Everyone* disintegrates the green and blue ones once they are in 230 mods yanked from the drops, and/or rank 50 or so and getting purples. If it turns out those actually had turnin value, a lot of people will be very surprised, and not in a good way.

Edited by stoopicus

Because they were tired of complicated currencies and systems and wanted to Simplify™ gearing!

This wins the thread, because that was their actual reasoning for GC in the first place, but now its a convoluted mess, far more complicated than ever before in the game's history. :D