Top Merc Pvpers?

Yamirashi

On my Guardian/Warrior I go look for Nyan from Shards of Alderaan for pvp tips and builds, but I can't seem to find someone who stands out as a good Merc PvPer to get info from. Does anyone know of any out there with a blog or post or video channel for help? Found one (forgot the name) for healing, but I want DPS.

Thanks

What do you really need to know about merc PvP? It's so simple and straightforward that I don't really understand what questions you might have.

All of the talents are no-brainers, with no real need for any customization - one is a straightforward healing tree and of the other two, Arsenal is much better than firebug since burst damage is superior to dot damage.

Itemization is a no-brainer as well, since there's gear explicitly designed for mercs. Just wear the gear that benefits you most.

As far as in-combat tips, again, I don't really know what you would be asking. The combat system in-game is simply not deep enough to support high-level strategy - just do dps, dot someone who's running out of range or los (remember that channeled spells break on LOS unlike other MMOs) try to position yourself well, knock people off of ledges when you can, CC people who are in a position where your terrible teammates won't target them and knock them out of conc missile, and try to avoid filling someone's resolve bar if they're in a scoring position in huttball.

Basically, the combat system in TOR is paper-thin. Just have good situational awareness, fast reflexes, keybind your important abilities and the rest is common sense. You don't need anywhere near the coordination and teamwork of a high-level WoW Arena match or the APM of a high-level Starcraft player. It's just not necessary. Gear, group composition and some basic level of strategy (pass the ball to a jedi and have them sprint towards the goalpost) are what win warzones.

Also, just to make one thing explicity clear, I'm not saying that PvP as a merc isn't fun or exciting in its own right. I'm just saying that it doesn't take a whole lot of thought - it's quick, simple fun, and it makes for a nice change of pace from grinding professions or grinding your way through 50 sand raiders in a bonus quest chain. But rocket science it ain't.

The best advice I can give in regards to an Arsenal spec Merc is: You are not a tank. Don't think like one. If you are in the middle of a group melee cluster(badword), you are in the wrong spot.

You are there to assist DD targets down, CC when needed (including knock backs), and to generally keep order from a distance. We are pretty much support casters in heavy armor.

Yeah there really isn't much in the realm of theory crafting for TOR. You can go with a hybrid, but that's not really recommended for PVP (really only good for leveling).

Yes, you're going to use tracer missile, unload, and heatseeker missiles a lot, as well as rocket punch and knock backs. As said, you should be off the beaten path. In huttball, you'll want to stay around the top levels knocking people off and raining death from above (use that skill too on groups!)

It mostly comes down to players skill. You can deal a lot of damage, and well-timed hits can rack up the kills. Best thing to do against mele is to kite them as much as you can while knocking them back and slowing them down.

I made an assassin alt to pvp with, and I down a lot of much higher level mercs who are clearly click to shooters and can't move around very well, just keep running through them beating on 'em and interrupting their casts or running out of line of sight.

Pretty much what others have said, there is no real theory crafting or what have you here. Its more about being aware of whats going on around you and knowing what skills to use when, as well as positioning. As stat wise I think most of us will be trying to max out the stats as much as possible really.

Another tip, that's kind obvious...

I don't concern myself with endurance much, it's there or it's not. But, I'm always looking for more Aim and Crit. Crit is your best friend imo. Big crits help lower you heat level and that equals more pew pew.

If you're going for arsenal, you literally will be spamming your tracer missiles, rail shots, unloads and heatseeker missiles whenever you can. You will lack of cc, but its alright you still have 2 knockbacks and they're very useful against melee characters. Your only problem will be interrupts because if people can interrupt your tracer missiles your damage will dramatically fall.

Ok then specific questions... What cell should I run with as DPS in WZ's?

High Velocity Gas if you are Arsenal spec, Combustible if you are Pyrotech. If you're a hybrid like myself you can flip between HVGC and Combat Support. I still do good damage with CSC and do excellent healing.

Arsenal is amazing in PVP, you want to use your burst combos with High Velocity Gas.

Always look for places where you can step in and out of LOS in case you get targetted or where you can knock people off a ledge or far away from you if they decent to come kill you.

Knock people down to half health while stacking Tracer to 5 (3 shots), Explosive Dart, Heatseeker, then Rail Shot. The Dart, Heatseaker, and Rail Shot will all hit at about the same time doing tremendous burst damage and if someone hasn't gotten an absorb or a heal and your gear is decent, they are likely dead.

If your heatseaker combo is down, proc a Barrage and then use Unload until you can do a burst combo to finish them off.

Also look for opportunities to AoE, a good Dart + Fusion Missile + Death From Above combo does wonders in Voidstar and Civil War. Try to use your Thermal Sensor Override for one of the more expensive attacks like Death or Fusion Missile.

Keep Power Shot on your bars in case someone is actually decent enough to lockout your Tracer Missiles.

Save your Power Surge for an emergency heal and don't forget to use your Energy Shield and Kolto Overload if you are getting focused.

If someone is stupid enough to solo defend an objective, pop a Electro Dart on them, they will either break it with Determination or they will sit through it. Follow it up with a Concussion Missile and take your objective while they're CCed.

Edited by Lightmgl

Arsenal is amazing in PVP, you want to use your burst combos with High Velocity Gas.

Always look for places where you can step in and out of LOS in case you get targetted or where you can knock people off a ledge or far away from you if they decent to come kill you.

Knock people down to half health while stacking Tracer to 5 (3 shots), Explosive Dart, Heatseeker, then Rail Shot. The Dart, Heatseaker, and Rail Shot will all hit at about the same time doing tremendous burst damage and if someone hasn't gotten an absorb or a heal and your gear is decent, they are likely dead.

If your heatseaker combo is down, proc a Barrage and then use Unload until you can do a burst combo to finish them off.

Also look for opportunities to AoE, a good Dart + Fusion Missile + Death From Above combo does wonders in Voidstar and Civil War. Try to use your Thermal Sensor Override for one of the more expensive attacks like Death or Fusion Missile.

Keep Power Shot on your bars in case someone is actually decent enough to lockout your Tracer Missiles.

Save your Power Surge for an emergency heal and don't forget to use your Energy Shield and Kolto Overload if you are getting focused.

If someone is stupid enough to solo defend an objective, pop a Electro Dart on them, they will either break it with Determination or they will sit through it. Follow it up with a Concussion Missile and take your objective while they're CCed.

what he said

I appreciated this, a nice overview. I haven't had any real experience with serious PvP yet, how exactly do you get locked out of tracer missiles? Move denial abilities?